Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Be the change you want to see in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Were you playing as the Twins?

Could also have been the Mets.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any tips for developing an expansion team in OOTP 17?

Somewhat related, I saw this on the official OOTP forum and it intrigued me, although I'd probably select the Twins instead of the Astros

quote:

How I play, almost exclusively.
1) Sim through first season of an MLB Quickstart
2) Release all players/coaches on Astros & Marlins (cause I just don't care for those teams, sorry)
3) Expand league by 2, one in each league
4) Remove Houston & Miami from the game
5) Remove all minor league teams created for my expansion teams
6) Assign the unaffiliated minor league teams left from removing Miami and Houston to my expansion teams
7) Customize playoffs (this will get auto changed when you expand, and you have to reset it if you want to keep current postseason setup)
8) Make all coaches on expansion teams free agents
9) Do any neccessary editing to my expansion teams (owner profile, colors, logos, parks, etc.)
10) Retire #42 on both expansion teams

I then pick one and take it over. This gives me a very HIGH level of immersion, as I am forced to fill all levels of minors, both players and coaches. It allows me to be in complete control from the birth of my team. I do this all on the first day of the offseason, the expansion draft gets auto scheduled for a few days after free agency starts.

As a side note, I usually always make my owner a 10 in patience, to ensure a long leash as we go through the first few years of build our club. I'm sure there are things I missed but this is the basic system I follow, in the process of setting up my new game in 17 now using this way. If you have questions just ask and I'd be happy to share!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leave the Twins alone you monster

Also, if you have the patience for it, fantasy drafts can be pretty fun as well if you make sure it empties out all the minor league systems too. I think I got about 100 rounds deep before auto drafting the "filler guys" for my minors.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 8, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Leave the Twins alone you monster

Also, if you have the patience for it, fantasy drafts can be pretty fun as well if you make sure it empties out all the minor league systems too. I think I got about 100 rounds deep before auto drafting the "filler guys" for my minors.

Tampa and Miami it is! It's not like that state needs any more sports franchises anyways

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Probably was going to wait on 18 but promotion/relegation is too fun not to mess with.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the reminder that I need to throw the game on my wishlist so I get the sale notification later. Feels weird to not be buying this at launch but there's no way I'm going to have time to play it :(

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I swear the first thing I'm doing is adding all of the Eduardo Escobar's nicknames for his Twins teammates.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/841755846681944064

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/842118218743345152

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 21, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

I swear the first thing I'm doing is adding all of the Eduardo Escobar's nicknames for his Twins teammates.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/841755846681944064

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/842118218743345152

he's so SHORT

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone played the new version of Baseball Mogul? It looks like Clay (the owner/designer) has pretty much given up on the game. I was interested in picking up the new version because I wanted something quicker than a standard OOTP game. I like being able to make some offseason moves and then sim a season in 30 minutes. Is that game just totally not worth playing anymore?

Or if I picked up OOTP again how would I change the settings to make it more of a quick play game? Turn off some of the minors, scouting, coaches, etc and let the CPU make moves?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
You can customize OOTP to the point where you do as little as you like. It's an extremely customizable game.

That being said unless you care about making a promotion/relegation league or having the Negro Leagues available you could buy OOTP 16 and have mostly the same experience.

It's too bad what happened to Mogul, I liked it better when we had two legit options but it's just not anymore.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

You can customize OOTP to the point where you do as little as you like. It's an extremely customizable game.

That being said unless you care about making a promotion/relegation league or having the Negro Leagues available you could buy OOTP 16 and have mostly the same experience.

It's too bad what happened to Mogul, I liked it better when we had two legit options but it's just not anymore.

I think I'm just going to get the new OOTP when it comes out tomorrow. Anyone else buying it? I'll look for ways to customize it as close as possible to the quick sim level of Baseball Mogul and see if I can get it to play any snappier.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I preordered so I've been playing for a few days. The interface takes a while to get used to so try and prepare yourself but honestly if you just want to play manager you'll only need like 10% of the screens. You can turn everything you don't want to deal with to AI control and cruise along.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I got OOTP for the first time this year. FA demands are so hosed lol. I extended Yu Darvish 5 years at just $15m per w/o a problem. Jonathan Lucroy wants $27m a year for 5 years.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I got OOTP for the first time this year. FA demands are so hosed lol. I extended Yu Darvish 5 years at just $15m per w/o a problem. Jonathan Lucroy wants $27m a year for 5 years.

It was like that last year too. My cubs game had Russel want 30 Mill + /y I let him go to FA and he signed for 10 mill/y. Let him go to FA and see if his tune changes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been pretty underwhelmed with the trading AI thus far. The Royals as expected need to be blown up and rebuild, so I'm trying to find a home for one of the best closers in baseball. The only responses I get are past their prime dudes on albatross contracts or fringe major leaguers.

I feel like considering the hauls that Miller and Chapman brought last year this is unrealistic.

it probably goes without saying I couldn't even find a taker for Hosmer, Cain, or Moustakas....

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds like the AI is being smart, if unrealistic though?

:wink:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I was a huge OOTP fan from over a decade ago but Mogul had slowly won me over. Mogul seemed to focus more on fans of MLB while OOTP is catering toward fans who want baseball to be soccer.

I did buy OOTP this year as it's still worth the price. Just wish more effort would go into making the MLB side more realistic (financials, lineups, in-game AI).

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This might be the worst season I've ever seen, even for a fictional league.

EDIT: OPS+ of -17

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OOTP 18 is "on sale" for $36 at BundleStars if anybody didn't pre-order and doesn't want to wait until the all-star sale.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any universal tips for doing an expansion franchise in 2017?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Any universal tips for doing an expansion franchise in 2017?

I'm doing CHALLENGE MODE with the Royals and it is pretty hard especially since the Royals are going to be up poo poo creek IRL after this year.

Basically:

- Tank, but only for a year or two. After that try and be at least competitive (~.500 ball) or else your finances will really take a hit.
- Don't sign any expensive players to long term deals, even if a superstar hits the market. Wait and sign filler/replacement level guys in the preseason for 1-3 year deals, overpay a bit for team option years (these are much harder to negotiate this year).
- Invest in coaches, scouting, and player development.
- Manage your good prospects, ensure they're getting playing time and are in the right positions.

The game vs the AI seems quite a bit harder this year - you're basically not getting good prospects from the AI without a massive overpay, and the AI will have NOTHING to do with your albatross old fat veteran contracts. So, you're pretty much on your own in finding/stockpiling prospects, and avoid big fat contracts like the plague until such time as you're ready to compete in the playoffs.

Basically, the days where you could rebuild a team by trading away your fat veteran contracts and then easily load up on quality prospects are gone....gotta do it the hard way now.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OOTP 18 crashed while making a fantasy draft universe and now it just crashes on startup for me. :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Am I wrong or is there a setting in OOTP for setting up fictional leagues with historical players that allows OOTP to put extra weight on the rest of the player's career over their single season stats when it comes to creating a player from a certain season?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just had a regen guy do this in 2020:

.397/.528/.728/1.257
179 R
48 HR
134 RBI
151 BB
100 K
109 SB / 11 CS
17.4 WAR

He plays for the Rays, who are bad, but made the playoffs because of him. He was drafted 4th overall in 2017, this was his 2nd season as a 22 year old (his rookie line was. .311/.421/. 509). All of the league settings etc are at default.

I'm pretty sure that's the best e-sports season I've ever seen anyone ever have in any game where 1) I had nothing to do with manipulating anything behind the scenes and 2) he wasn't on my team.

oh and he was +17.3 runs in CF, that too.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 21, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

bewbies posted:

I just had a regen guy do this in 2020:

.397/.528/.728/1.257
179 R
48 HR
134 RBI
151 BB
100 K
109 SB / 11 CS
17.4 WAR

He plays for the Rays, who are bad, but made the playoffs because of him. He was drafted 4th overall in 2017, this was his 2nd season as a 22 year old (his rookie line was. .311/.421/. 509). All of the league settings etc are at default.

I'm pretty sure that's the best e-sports season I've ever seen anyone ever have in any game where 1) I had nothing to do with manipulating anything behind the scenes and 2) he wasn't on my team.

oh and he was +17.3 runs in CF, that too.

Im a dork, so could you keep me up to date on his career? It's my experience in OOTP that guys like that (obviously I've never seen someone put up a season like that) fall off a cliff way too young.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone tweaked the settings this year? I used to always set the trading difficult to favor prospects because it was so easy to fleece the AI, but as bewbies mentioned, the AI is much better at that now.

IMB posted:

Im a dork, so could you keep me up to date on his career? It's my experience in OOTP that guys like that (obviously I've never seen someone put up a season like that) fall off a cliff way too young.

I'm curious on this too. I used to tweak the setting so that players would regress a little slower. Always seemed weird how a player would go from league average at age 32 to A player at age 33.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
MLB needs to expand drug testing to cover owners as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For anyone interested but on the fence, OOTP '18 is half off ($19.99) in the steam summer sale right now.

I actually decided to try out Motorsport Manager instead and waow the game is a ton of fun :shobon:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Is Strat-O-Matic just not an option anymore? I thought their PC releases were supposed to be among the best sports simulators. I was always more of a tabletop kind of guy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Is Strat-O-Matic just not an option anymore? I thought their PC releases were supposed to be among the best sports simulators. I was always more of a tabletop kind of guy.

I didn't even know they had a PC version. I'm partial to the tabletop game as well. Have you played History Maker Baseball yet?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
AFAIK Strat has been publishing yearly versions of their PC games, at least for baseball, for the past 5 or so years. I only know this because a family member plays in a couple big-money online Strat Baseball leagues. I've thought about joining, but part of why I prefer the tabletop version is that all the stats and calculations are right there on the paper in front of me. It's a little less clear how the simulation works when you've got to figure out how to do things through multiple different UIs. I'm also just impatient and find it difficult to learn the game in a whole new way when my tabletop game with updated player cards works just fine.

I haven't tried History Maker, but I did see it at PAX East this year, along with a bunch of stuff from the Baseball Mogul guys. I was less than impressed by the most recent Mogul offering, but I like the company and hope they do well, especially because they're a local game dev.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I picked up a copy of Deadball during DriveThruRPG's ongoing Christmas in July sale, and it's been a lot of fun. It's a simple percentage-based system (roll under BA for hits, or under OBP for walks), with various RPG-like modifiers and hit/defense tables. I ran through two complete games with a fictional league, and once I got the system down I was able to run it really quickly, maybe 20-30 minutes per game. Each game was pretty tense, and had the "feel" of a real game.

It's made me curious how other tabletop baseball games handle things -- I read about History Maker Baseball, and watched a couple of videos, and its modifier-based die-rolling system looks like fun, too. I really like the simplicity of these two systems, and they seem a lot easier to get into than something like Strat.

Anyway, that's my story; tabletop baseball is cool!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

History Maker Baseball is fun. I enjoy playing it solitaire because its just so relaxing. There are also rules for making cards from old baseball cards, so I enjoy grabbing a stack of old crappy Topps cards and making a couple of teams to play each other.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I have 2 questions about OOTP and importing historical players:

1)It seems a lot of historical pitchers get really poorly rated regardless of what period of their career you choose. Do they succeed despite the poor ratings? Like, Dave Stieb was pretty good for about 6-7 years but his ratings from that period aren't so hot. Same with people like Charlie Root, Carl Mays and Eddie Ciccotte.

2) If you import somebody who was doing well but had their career cut short, will their career for you end as short as it did historically? Like would I get a couple good years out of Mark Prior followed by him retiring?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I have 2 questions about OOTP and importing historical players:

1)It seems a lot of historical pitchers get really poorly rated regardless of what period of their career you choose. Do they succeed despite the poor ratings? Like, Dave Stieb was pretty good for about 6-7 years but his ratings from that period aren't so hot. Same with people like Charlie Root, Carl Mays and Eddie Ciccotte.

2) If you import somebody who was doing well but had their career cut short, will their career for you end as short as it did historically? Like would I get a couple good years out of Mark Prior followed by him retiring?

Players are rated relative to their eras, so you pretty much get what you get in that respect. Deadball hitters have no HR power and deadball pitchers have high movement; combined that means hardly anybody hits homeruns, but in practice it means deadballer hitters hit for average but no power in virtually any era, but only the most elite deadball pitchers (i.e. the strikeout masters) can perform outside their era.

As for career development, there's a setting where you can pick whether they get re-rated based on real-life statistics or if it uses the in-game development engine to determine career arcs. If you pick the latter they won't be guaranteed to do what they did IRL. I have a save going 1901-present and in 1914 Addie Joss is still alive, for example.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I made a historical MLB league for the first time in OOTP 18. I left the "use real minor leaguers" box checked. When the league finished generating, there were tons of viable prospects in free agency and all of the pitchers on all of the teams were duplicated. Anyone else have buggy historical league experiences with OOTP 18? I don't want to keep trying if it's going to be a mess.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

tadashi posted:

I made a historical MLB league for the first time in OOTP 18. I left the "use real minor leaguers" box checked. When the league finished generating, there were tons of viable prospects in free agency and all of the pitchers on all of the teams were duplicated. Anyone else have buggy historical league experiences with OOTP 18? I don't want to keep trying if it's going to be a mess.

What year did you start with? I wouldn't tick that box before 1915 and especially not before 1901. Playing before 1901 has given me lots of problems. Starting from 1901 or after I've never had problems with though.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 15, 2017

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
66% off sale on Steam right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
OOTP18 is pay what you want in the humble bundle

Full disclosure because i'm not in the Beta any longer I have no idea if it's any good because I haven't played it but I'm going to assume it's worth at least a dollar.

https://www.humblebundle.com/strategy-sim-bundle

• Locked thread