Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Hahah, CWLZ is the best stock ever! drat, what a ride the last two weeks have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Hahah, CWLZ is the best stock ever! drat, what a ride the last two weeks have been.

Better get out quick, it's getting de-listed from the NASDAQ tomorrow.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Remember when you couldn't talk about penny stocks here anymore?

Well, if you want penny stocks, consider HWG. Despite its penniness it has a P/E ratio of 3.

And an average daily volume of 3900 shares, so look but don't touch.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ Um I think you mistyped the symbol HWG is 38$ per share.

Vatek posted:

Yea, I know. I'd rather just cover when it hits the pinks :laugh:. I adore irrational exuberance in the markets. (look at a 2 week chart)

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

^^ Um I think you mistyped the symbol HWG is 38$ per share.

HWG has 1.5 million shares outstanding and the CEO owns more than half of them. The whole company's worth $38 58 million (actually, probably more than that but it's trading at $58 million). I stand by its penniness.

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 30, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Oh, I get what you are saying now.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

quote:

The company is producing a product that nobody else is producing, and with the same numbers. You are way off on that one.
Didn't they say they would have a 1-2 year gap in production where they are in essence not going to be selling anything?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Didn't they say they would have a 1-2 year gap in production where they are in essence not going to be selling anything?

Well yeah, that's what the cash infusion from going public is for. :v:

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Thomson posted:

I'm not sure how much longer the TSLA gravy train will last--I got in at 17.85, and again at 25, and now i'm not sure whether I want in at 30 (when I sell the 17.85 lot). Maybe people are forgetting that this company hasn't actually made money and their only hope (right now) is an $80k roadster.

Did you cash out when it broke 30? TSLA just closed well off the high of the day, and it looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride no matter which way it goes. Congrats to the people who made bank off the IPO; I personally couldn't handle the volatility.

Thomson
Aug 6, 2004
OMG ROFL MY WAFFLE

Tom Rakewell posted:

Did you cash out when it broke 30? TSLA just closed well off the high of the day, and it looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride no matter which way it goes. Congrats to the people who made bank off the IPO; I personally couldn't handle the volatility.

Just about--I closed both positions at 29ish. Horray. Maybe I could use my gains and buy a spot on their waitlist for a Roadster S. I might be able to afford one by the time they start turning a profit (if that ever happens, for either case).

ArterialTool
Jan 21, 2010
Can someone recommend a stock forum with good posting similar to this one that actually gets some traffic? Also, anyone have any idea WTF happened to RIG today? It's now trading at near 30% below book value (0.71), which is less than BP (0.83), somthing seems out of wack. Were documents discovered that implicate Transocean planting C4 on the wellhead?

ArterialTool fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 1, 2010

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Vatek posted:

Can you provide a link? I can't find anything.

poopfart
May 5, 2010

Thomson posted:

I'm not sure how much longer the TSLA gravy train will last--I got in at 17.85, and again at 25, and now i'm not sure whether I want in at 30 (when I sell the 17.85 lot). Maybe people are forgetting that this company hasn't actually made money and their only hope (right now) is an $80k roadster.

I dumped my shares at 25 earlier today and I am a happy dude right now.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

ArterialTool posted:

Can someone recommend a stock forum with good posting similar to this one that actually gets some traffic? Also, anyone have any idea WTF happened to RIG today? It's now trading at near 30% below book value (0.71), which is less than BP (0.83), somthing seems out of wack. Were documents discovered that implicate Transocean planting C4 on the wellhead?

Motley Fool has an active community that is a little above the yahoo message boards. At least on CAPS you can see people's portfolios and figure out who is completely out of their mind.

edit: to add fool.com and that people there are paranoid Fox News watchers. But it is possible to catch some good discussions.

LactoseO.D.'d fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 1, 2010

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I've been reading up on technical analysis to the point that I think i have a solid fundamental understanding, and I want to start day/short-swing trading. I've set aside $1000 and opened up a stocks/margins account with Questrade (I'm in Canada, and they seemed to have low commissions compared to the major competitors). Does anyone have any advice on which of their platforms I should use, or if/how I should use a different platform altogether?
I'll likely be trading in the pennies, because I'm more interested in making/losing a large percentage of the $1000 in a few weeks than making/losing a small percentage over several months. Any advice is appreciated.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

JiUC posted:

I've been reading up on technical analysis to the point that I think i have a solid fundamental understanding, and I want to start day/short-swing trading. I've set aside $1000 and opened up a stocks/margins account with Questrade (I'm in Canada, and they seemed to have low commissions compared to the major competitors). Does anyone have any advice on which of their platforms I should use, or if/how I should use a different platform altogether?
I'll likely be trading in the pennies, because I'm more interested in making/losing a large percentage of the $1000 in a few weeks than making/losing a small percentage over several months. Any advice is appreciated.
I hope this post is a troll. If not:

You're going to lose all your money. Day-trading penny stocks with $1000 is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Even folks with millions of dollars struggle to make a living on day trading. You're going to lose your money in a few days, and realize just how stupid this idea is.

Sign up for a virtual stock account. Investopedia has one: click here. You'll start with $100k. Once you lose it all on penny stocks, you'll realize why dropping actual cash with no experience or bankroll is stupid.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Hey he could be the next Timothy Sykes! Good luck JiUC, I would try a mean reversion strategy if I had the $1000 to gamble on pennys.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Janin posted:

I hope this post is a troll. If not:

You're going to lose all your money. Day-trading penny stocks with $1000 is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Even folks with millions of dollars struggle to make a living on day trading. You're going to lose your money in a few days, and realize just how stupid this idea is.

Sign up for a virtual stock account. Investopedia has one: click here. You'll start with $100k. Once you lose it all on penny stocks, you'll realize why dropping actual cash with no experience or bankroll is stupid.

I'm aware it's a gamble. I've been using the virtual account provided by Questrade and doing quite well. I'm just wondering if there are markedly better platforms out there. I noticed that interactive brokers provides a platform for the iPhone, but I'm not sure if that's worth switching brokers.

edit:

GET MONEY posted:

Hey he could be the next Timothy Sykes! Good luck JiUC, I would try a mean reversion strategy if I had the $1000 to gamble on pennys.

Yeah, this is pretty much the plan. I don't have the equipment, L2 knowledge or desire to get into the really short term stuff. I'm planning on using resistance/support brackets, EMAs, RSIs and candlesticks quite a bit.

JiUC fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2010

Baddog
May 12, 2001

JiUC posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much the plan. I don't have the equipment, L2 knowledge or desire to get into the really short term stuff. I'm planning on using resistance/support brackets, EMAs, RSIs and candlesticks quite a bit.

Godspeed

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

Baddog posted:

Godspeed

Thanks bra, will post results as they become available!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

ArterialTool posted:

http://www.hotstockmarket.com/forums/

The best i've found for technical analysis

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Can you provide a link? I can't find anything.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cowlitz-bancorporation-announces-nasdaq-delisting-97471304.html

poopfart
May 5, 2010

JiUC posted:

I'm planning on using resistance/support brackets, EMAs, RSIs and candlesticks quite a bit.
lollin irl. No technical indicators will assist you in the volatile market you are entering. Nobody on this forum can give you any valuable advice. Don't troll these poor goons that are trying to make an easy buck and have no idea what they are doing.

also, scottrade owns

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Since yesterday was the end of the QTR, half way point of the year, 'analysts' are saying the big sell offs are indicative of a Bear Market for the rest of the year.

What types of industries preform well in slow times? Consumer basics? Energy? Health Care? Large cap vs mid/small? I am speaking US specifically.

Just wondering. I started some personal retirement investing via Vanguard and their ETFs. Just wondering what types of companies I should be loading up on during the 2nd half of the year.

I am an eternal optimist and hoping for a mild, but still choppy summer. With some stability coming in Nov/Dec on some strong Holiday Sales making people feel good again.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

JiUC posted:

Please keep a spreadsheet of your account balance over time, and after you run out, post a graph. This thread could use some comedy.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone know what happened to the Dollar today?

antishatter
Feb 25, 2006
jawsome with a j

imabmf posted:

Since yesterday was the end of the QTR, half way point of the year, 'analysts' are saying the big sell offs are indicative of a Bear Market for the rest of the year.

What types of industries preform well in slow times? Consumer basics? Energy? Health Care? Large cap vs mid/small? I am speaking US specifically.

Just wondering. I started some personal retirement investing via Vanguard and their ETFs. Just wondering what types of companies I should be loading up on during the 2nd half of the year.

I am an eternal optimist and hoping for a mild, but still choppy summer. With some stability coming in Nov/Dec on some strong Holiday Sales making people feel good again.

It really depends on your risk adversity. I would say that it is a great time (or soon will be) to pick up oil stocks at a huge discount and then slowly watch them recover making for some decent profit. If you don't want to risk much then I would look at playing metals, maybe gold (an etf like GLD, a mine like EGO, etc) or silver (etf SLV), both of these will only go higher in a bear market because people begin to become uncertain about what the market will do and this creates fear. Fear drives GOLD higher.

I also just read an article that suggests cap and trade will create scarcity in the energy market so investing in green technology may be a decent play at some point (not sure if this move is usefull now but, perhaps right before cap and trade comes into play)

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

imabmf posted:

Utilities are generally insulated from an economic turndown (widows and orphans approved), and also consumer staples. But it's rare to find something that actually goes up in a slow economy, although Ross Stores typically pulls it off. And oh, look, they're up today. So I'm wondering if there aren't more producers of cheap substitutes to consider.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
If we're entering a deflationary period, which the market seems to be indicating, oil should be massacred.

As far as safety goes, China is still set to grow and most of the U.S. listed Chinese ADRs trade incredibly cheap. Especially the ones that receive most their revenues from domestic (meaning sales in China) sales.

Of course tech on the other hand is a giant bloated pig and I'd avoid the hell out of it. When you have SFSF with a $1.5 billion market cap, the nasdaq has a long long long way to go down. That whole cloud computing thing is like the solar and commodity bubbles.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah I'm not sure metals is a good idea with deflation looking more likely than inflation. Plus gold is already a huge bubble - it might inflate further but you're playing musical chairs at this point.

The macro long-term outlook looks really bleak right now. I am just about ready to bail out of most stuff but it's hard to swallow the losses (yes I know this is a psychological trap).

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah I'm not sure metals is a good idea with deflation looking more likely than inflation. Plus gold is already a huge bubble - it might inflate further but you're playing musical chairs at this point.

The macro long-term outlook looks really bleak right now. I am just about ready to bail out of most stuff but it's hard to swallow the losses (yes I know this is a psychological trap).

Personally I am almost ready to start asking Santa for a bubble burst in Gold, right around Nov/Dec. Just on the hopes that Glen Beck would some how get lynched.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

imabmf posted:

Personally I am almost ready to start asking Santa for a bubble burst in Gold, right around Nov/Dec. Just on the hopes that Glen Beck would some how get lynched.

I can't stand the gold people either. Fiat money forever!

The fact that everyone thinks that major inflation is inevitable is probably the best reason to conclude that it won't happen.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Hobologist posted:

I can't stand the gold people either. Fiat money forever!

The fact that everyone thinks that major inflation is inevitable is probably the best reason to conclude that it won't happen.

I think the people who spew the hyperinflation (and gold) arguments are doing so in a knee jerk reaction to "PRINTING MONEY!!!!" and don't take into account the massive amount of asset deflation going on. It seems the stock market won't hold any strong higher levels for any amount of time, the housing market isn't going anywhere, and bonds are still questionable in many markets. Then you have everyone trying to move their assets into the most stable thing possible (cash/gold).

I think we will see some inflation when the volatility dies down and risk appetite returns. However, I think a lot of that value lost in the crash isn't coming back anytime soon.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
BP looks like it hit a rebound, think a july or august straddle would be worth it?

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 1, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tasty and Delicious posted:

BP looks like it hit a rebound, think a july or august straddle would be worth it?
In this market, you could straddle anything. Even the most boring stock like...BRK.A.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Whats everyones thoughts on Citigroup almost flash crashing again and being halted for the second time this week? It is moving tons of shares so its not a liquidity issue.

Also, gold is funny in that the "print money" inflation people may be right in theory but gold trades in opposite land tbh. In deflation it holds flat or goes up because everyone panics and buys it and in inflation periods it usually doesn't do as much because everyone usually chases stocks.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ford's looking pretty good, I went long yesterday and I might go in some more tomorrow.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Christobevii3 posted:

Whats everyones thoughts on Citigroup almost flash crashing again and being halted for the second time this week? It is moving tons of shares so its not a liquidity issue.

I don't get how anyone could have even a shred of faith in the integrity of our markets right now. I am at the point where I wonder if me being 10% equities long is too much.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
Citi is going nowhere fast with the government selling shares daily. Pure speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

In this market, you could straddle anything. Even the most boring stock like...BRK.A.

There are no publicly traded options so you'd have to make one over the counter.

I wonder if Berkshire Hathaway would agree to be your counterparty on them.