Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stationlost
Nov 27, 2010
If anyone hasn't seen this video of Fracture and Neptune putting 808 kicks through their Emu here is is. Amazing what you can do with some gain and a few filters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yheX4yrOOQI&feature=BFa&list=LLDFcnmlxbiQ0&index=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

stationlost posted:

If anyone hasn't seen this video of Fracture and Neptune putting 808 kicks through their Emu here is is. Amazing what you can do with some gain and a few filters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yheX4yrOOQI&feature=BFa&list=LLDFcnmlxbiQ0&index=1

Nice! Now I am really thinking about getting another EMU.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Nice! Now I am really thinking about getting another EMU.

I'm actually more interested in the desk they're using. Is it a Mackie? Beats my old Soundcraft 8 channel thing that sadly met an unfortunate end when I decided the solution to a frayed power cable was obviously to use my limited soldering experience. Ah the follys of youth, at least it only cost me about 15 quid at the time.

stationlost
Nov 27, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I'm actually more interested in the desk they're using. Is it a Mackie? Beats my old Soundcraft 8 channel thing that sadly met an unfortunate end when I decided the solution to a frayed power cable was obviously to use my limited soldering experience. Ah the follys of youth, at least it only cost me about 15 quid at the time.

It's the 24x4 version of this:

http://www.mackie.com/products/sr32-4vlzpro/

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

stationlost posted:

It's the 24x4 version of this:

http://www.mackie.com/products/sr32-4vlzpro/

Ah nice. Interesting they haven't went for the Onyx series with the onboard firewire. I thought that's what everyone would go for. I guess the only real difference is for the VLZ you'd just need to output it into another interface. And the price, a decent bit cheaper for more channels.

Fake edit: Ah some come with USB. I'll need to remember that if I ever fancy inflicting the world with terrible, terrible tuneless music again. Well that and if I win the lottery. Luckily for the world so far no lottery win, and most of my old stuff has long since disappeared many hard drives ago.

stationlost
Nov 27, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Ah nice. Interesting they haven't went for the Onyx series with the onboard firewire. I thought that's what everyone would go for. I guess the only real difference is for the VLZ you'd just need to output it into another interface. And the price, a decent bit cheaper for more channels.

Fake edit: Ah some come with USB. I'll need to remember that if I ever fancy inflicting the world with terrible, terrible tuneless music again. Well that and if I win the lottery. Luckily for the world so far no lottery win, and most of my old stuff has long since disappeared many hard drives ago.

Well this is actually a pretty old desk and isn't really related at all to the current Mackie vlz series. This is more along the lines of a small version of the Mackie 8Bus which was used on all the old virus records.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

The older Mackie's were known for how they distorted audio when you turned up the gains. I imagine that's what they were going for. Have to be careful which Mackie you get, as they don't all produce the same effect.

My work has a 16/4 sitting around in our shop, hasn't been used in over a year, might see if I can borrow it indefinitely...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow, I've tried to get into Drum & Bass before, but it never really "clicked" until I heard some Hospital stuff the other day. Now I can't stop listening to it. Thanks goons :)

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Riot.EXE posted:

Friday 5: Label Showcase Edition!

For this edition, I chose to showcase Ganja/Playaz.

"Street Hawk" - Crystal Clear & Cabbie (2008). The only thing capable of making what was essentially "Knight Rider on a Motorcycle" badass. I definitely consider this one of my favorite Drum & Bass tracks ever.

Oh dear. I was skimming through the FFs and I stumble on a track in which part of the music is taken from a piece of work from our national composer. For example, it plays in important events/ceremonies in which the Finnish flag is brought into the room and everyone has to stand up. There's no way I could listen to this normally :gonk:

In other news, I found a likeable, unknown artist, Gradon & Janky who currently don't have too many songs under their belt but The Flow and Heritage plus the four songs made by Gradon are worth listening to if you're into this sort of (liquid) dnb.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Wow, I've tried to get into Drum & Bass before, but it never really "clicked" until I heard some Hospital stuff the other day. Now I can't stop listening to it. Thanks goons :)

If you like Hospital then you might like some of the stuff on Viper Recordings. They are not as poppy sounding as much of Hospital, but they produce mostly Liquid DnB too. :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

QPZIL posted:

Very glad to hear it :D

Also, I added a note about the Label 5s into the OP, under "What Should I Start With If I Want To Get Into Drum & Bass?".

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Got busy at work Friday and wasn't able to find some time to dedicate to this over the weekend, so here's a very late F5.

Friday 5 - Critical Recordings

Breakage - Cooper - CRIT030 - 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWk0EHtVG2c
What can't I say about this track? The bassline is so thick, it's unavoidable. With classic Breakage style, there's still a good bit of chopped amen in here for good measure.

Chris Su - Satisfy - CRIT011 - 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=242UC1YePWg
This one represents what I feel Critical was all about. Nice, quick drums that do not ever stop once they start. Chris Su produces some of the deepest, most introspective DnB and no one does it better. The wild synth after the breakdown is icing on the cake of this well crafted gem.

Rockwell - Noir - CRIT043 - 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ6sxvm0wmo
Rockwell's first ever release, Underpass, was a HUGE smash that threw Rockwell into the spotlight. The Noir EP was his follow-up and what a release it was. I feel Rockwell defined his sound with this release and the title track, Noir, is pretty timeless.

Spectrasoul - Alibi (Break remix) - CRIT033 - 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEuhFW7eCo
Absolutely love this one. The smooth, yet, haunting vibe of Spectrasoul combined with the fantastic drumwork of Break makes this an abolute keeper. This track turns heads every time I play it.

Ill.Skillz - Forgive Myself - CRIT008 - 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgJ5UdmkTec
I love the drum programming on this one. Every phrase in the intro, you can hear a different drum sample. Once the first drop comes, you're in breakbeat heaven. It's so simple, yet put together very well. I should start playing this one out more often than I do...

BONUS - Since I'm late to F5, here's a couple more great Critical tracks:

Total Science f/ Riya - Redlines (Break remix) - CRIT048 - 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhFsG1rtQbc
If you know anything about current DnB, you've no doubt heard the original from Total Science and Riya, but the remix switches things up a little. As you can probably tell, I LOVE the remix work Break does and this stays very true to his style. Drums all up in yo' rear end.

Young Ax - Something Wondeful - CRIT017 - 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVU5c15npZk
This one DEMANDS your attention as soon as it sneaks in. It borders drumfunk at times, but still stays very true to the same Critical drum sound. Young Ax does not get enough love for thinking outside the box, while still allowing listeners to find some familiarity in the beats.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dr. Goonstein posted:

If you like Hospital then you might like some of the stuff on Viper Recordings. They are not as poppy sounding as much of Hospital, but they produce mostly Liquid DnB too. :)

Thanks for this, I checked out a couple mixes by Futurebound and GeneticBros and really dug them. A little more aggressive than Hospital stuff, but I like it.

Along with that, the "Drum And Bass TV" series on YouTube is pretty good. Lots of mixes there to listen to.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
This week: A producer whose handle begins with the first letter of YOUR handle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Riot.EXE posted:

This week: A producer whose handle begins with the first letter of YOUR handle.

Hmm...there's Rockwell, RAM Trilogy, Roni Size, Reprazent...

Rush, Ed...

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Can't think of any other producers I like beginning with H besides High Contrast, and it's a bit redundant making yet another list of his tunes. Think I might pull out another alternative five.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Got the EMU, price was too good for the features (32 gig internal HD, current OS, SCSI Zip drive), and my solution is to take a USB Zip drive from work (we have boxes of them) to get stuff from my G5 to the EMU, process in the EMU and re-sample internally.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The only producer I can think of with my first letter is Q Project from Hospital... I guess I could do a F5 with him.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
E: upon further inspection it appears you want our Forums username, not our actual name. Might still do Adam F though since my actual name is Adam.

Perhaps Drumsound & Bassline Smith though.

Dr. Goonstein fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 24, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Got the EMU, price was too good for the features (32 gig internal HD, current OS, SCSI Zip drive), and my solution is to take a USB Zip drive from work (we have boxes of them) to get stuff from my G5 to the EMU, process in the EMU and re-sample internally.

I salute you for you're good choice! Hardware makes you a better man and more attractive to women. Possibly.

The spec sounds pretty impressive as well, especially with the large hard drive. I've no idea why Emu didn't put in a HDD in the ESI-2000, I think the 4000 series came with an optional one. Makes the storage problem etc a complete doddle. The Zip disk solution sounds like the best, at least it's the only way I can really think of to solve that problem. Though have fun with the Zip disks. More than once I had them fail on me. No clue why, but they're fairly prone to it. Probably why you have boxes of them actually. They do feel awesome though, like floppy disks, when you hold one in your hand it just feels right. It's like "I have important data here in my hand!"

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I salute you for you're good choice! Hardware makes you a better man and more attractive to women. Possibly.

I'll have to teach my girlfriend how to make some bass patches. She already teases me about helping me make drum kits in Logic.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

QPZIL posted:

The only producer I can think of with my first letter is Q Project from Hospital... I guess I could do a F5 with him.

:eng101: I think you mean C.I.A., not Hospital.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

chrix posted:

Pfft Hospital? C.I.A.? Legend Records bitches :smugbert:.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Pfft Hospital? C.I.A.? Legend Records bitches :smugbert:.

drat son, you're takin it BACK. I was referring to the fact that Q-Project & Spinback (Total Science) founded C.I.A. but you just elevated it to the next level.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

chrix posted:

http://www.hospitalrecords.com/artists/qproject/

???

edit-- Beaten, I get it now, nevermind.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

ITT we talk about the change in sound of Timeless Recordings, after the change in catalog numbers from DJ ### to TYME ###.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

ITT we talk about the change in sound of Timeless Recordings, after the change in catalog numbers from DJ ### to TYME ###.

Catalogue numbers or label slogans changing are never usually a good thing (Moving Shadow changing from World Domination to 'Audio Couture' starting their slow descent in quality and relevance. I mean Audio Couture, what a crap slogan just reeks of boringness) and it's generally the same for Timeless. Moving from the older, proper, soulful Jungle stuff of the DJ#s to the TYME#s with it's mostly boring and worthless Techstep/Neurofunk D&B(sorry man, know how much you love that stuff) and it's offspring with some brief head above water moments with the Kemal & Rob Data singles, and some of the Digital stuff.

Really releasing tracks by some folk called Duo Infernale should be enough to take it off any cool lists. What a loving terrible name. I half expect it to be a terrible Joy Division/The Cure knock-off with a name like that. What a loving boring tune as well, and this coming from the guy who normally loves female vocals on stuff. Lost in the world is right. Not anywhere near the place on the map marked "Here Be Dragons" - the cool and interesting edge of the map - just lost in a well documented, safe suburban estate of blandness and irrelevance and Carhartt hoodies. Too harsh?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Too harsh?

Hehe, no not at all. The catalog number thing was something I've definitely noticed too, just poking a little fun. As for Timeless's shift with their catalog, I wasn't in to a ton of the releases. The Kemal & Rob Data stuff was great, I liked the one C4C single, and Sonic & Silver's "Hard Times" and Phantom Audio's "Void" are huge favorites of mine, from about when I relaxed my techstep stance.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Hehe, no not at all. The catalog number thing was something I've definitely noticed too, just poking a little fun. As for Timeless's shift with their catalog, I wasn't in to a ton of the releases. The Kemal & Rob Data stuff was great, I liked the one C4C single, and Sonic & Silver's "Hard Times" and Phantom Audio's "Void" are huge favorites of mine, from about when I relaxed my techstep stance.

Speaking of Kemal and Rob Data, on a completely different non-D&B musical note, I was always sad no one - except it seemed, me and like 5 others - bought the album from Kemal's latest(well from 2007) musical project Nomadiqa. To be fair probably not everyone one's cup of tea, and it did get pretty mediocre reviews from the few places that actually reviewed it, but dammit I'm a sucker for artwork with a desert on it. No idea why.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

Dr. Goonstein posted:

So with that, let me reign in the fun with a few new-ish summer tracks for you to enjoy.

"Where You Should Be (Shy FX Remix)" - Skream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3Yw5v4HzE

Big choon, also peep the Zed Bias remix for a good time. Also chrix sent me a mix from Subfries a little while back. Def. dug the mix man, post more of them up. Oh, and if yxou don't listen to chrix on Boost.FM on wednesday nights...well, you're an idiot. It's not a shameless plug, dude really does bring the heat. Well, that's my post for the next 2 or 3 months.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Cross posting this from another forum I'm on, one for the liquid / vocally dnb fans, a mix by Pacific from Vancouver:

quote:

Hi all - long time no posty ;)

In addition to the Matty C disco/club stuff I also produce/DJ DnB as "Pacific", and run the label http://www.nightfallrecordings.com

Here's a new mix, on that vocal, piano, hands-in-the-air summertime tip, hope you enjoy!

RnDnB

Jaheim - Put That Woman First (Calibre remix)
Alicia Keys - Unthinkable (Lenzman remix)
Drake - Best I Ever Had (Mutt remix)
Ghostface Killa - Back Like Dat (Marky + Bungle remix)
Far East Movement - Rocketeer (Pacific remix)
Makoto ft Conrad - Golden Girl
Brookes Brothers - Tear You Down
Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend (High Contrast remix)
Rihanna - Rude Boy (Pacific remix)
Rox - My Baby Left Me (DC Breaks remix)
Sigma ft Jenna G - Baltimore
Diddy Dirty Money - Coming Home (Pacific remix)
Brookes Brothers - Dawn Treader
Netsky ft Darrison - Escape
Michael Jackson - Human Nature (Makoto remix)
Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes (Marky + Bungle remix)
K-Os - Man I Used To Be (Pacific remix)
Everything But The Girl - Before Today (Adam F remix)

PS, you can dload a zip of the "Pacific" edits here

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

HJB posted:

Can't think of any other producers I like beginning with H besides High Contrast, and it's a bit redundant making yet another list of his tunes. Think I might pull out another alternative five.

Hazard, Hydro, Heist, Hive...

By the way...we're treating "DJ" like the word "The". Go with whatever is after "DJ" if your producer of choice happens to have that prefix, ok?

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
"Days of Rage VIP" - Artificial Intelligence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSyfHk0Q7s

God I love this tune. gently caress whoever says the original better because
SPOILER ALERT: it's not.

Also that mix looks decent, I think i'll give it a try. Shame it wasn't TC's remix of Rude Boy though.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Riot.EXE posted:

Hazard, Hydro, Heist, Hive...

By the way...we're treating "DJ" like the word "The". Go with whatever is after "DJ" if your producer of choice happens to have that prefix, ok?

I said producers I like, not I've heard of.

Dr. Goonstein posted:

"Days of Rage VIP" - Artificial Intelligence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSyfHk0Q7s

God I love this tune. gently caress whoever says the original better because
SPOILER ALERT: it's not.

I will agree that the VIP is better than the original, though that's only because the original has one of the stupidest drops I've ever heard.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Cross posting this from another forum I'm on, one for the liquid / vocally dnb fans, a mix by Pacific from Vancouver:

In a cautionary tale of check on Discogs before you choose your DJ name, didn't Zinc also record under the name Pacific? I surprisingly did like most of the D&B Zinc put out at the beginning of the decade, maybe because all the Bingo business side stuff was handled by Ammunition I actually got used to hearing it all the time in the early Soulja/Road/Tempa/Dubplate.net days. The Faster LP is one of my favourites, though folk would probably complain that it was only really half D&B or whatever. Still cracking either way.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

In a cautionary tale of check on Discogs before you choose your DJ name, didn't Zinc also record under the name Pacific? I surprisingly did like most of the D&B Zinc put out at the beginning of the decade, maybe because all the Bingo business side stuff was handled by Ammunition I actually got used to hearing it all the time in the early Soulja/Road/Tempa/Dubplate.net days. The Faster LP is one of my favourites, though folk would probably complain that it was only really half D&B or whatever. Still cracking either way.

More than that, Matty C is 1/2 of the original Pacific from Vancouver. I knew that name sounded familiar...They did a track with Noisia and Mayhem called Centepod on Black Sun Empire's Cruel & Unusual.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
SUMMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnnZ69smjw

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

HJB posted:

I will agree that the VIP is better than the original, though that's only because the original has one of the stupidest drops I've ever heard.

Is it as stupid as the drop in "Screw Up" by Ewun / Kill the Noise?

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

HJB posted:

I said producers I like, not I've heard of.

If you don't like Hive or Hype you've got bigger problems.

Alternatively:
Hyper-On-Experience
Higher Sense
House Crew
Hype
Hatcha
Hedj
Heavy Hittaz
Hektagon
Hiten
Hold Tight
Hermit
Heretic
Huggs
Hardware
H.M.P
Hidden Agenda

No excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

There was just one or two Zinc/Pacific tunes, I think the label was Global Thing? Then there was Zenith on Frontline, the supposed U.S. producer who hated the U.S., but it was just some weird story those guys cooked up before playing in the U.S. became a viable, lucrative touring opportunity IMO.

Also, on the whole "check discogs", I started using my DJ name in 1996, and then around 2000 or 2001 found out about Ransom in the U.K. (now goes by Joe Ransom, resident at Fabric for years) and Ransom in Australia, a DMC battle DJ, no idea if he still does anything. So then I just go with Harry Ransom since that's what a lot of my friends were calling me... and then I find out about THIS...

chrix posted:

More than that, Matty C is 1/2 of the original Pacific from Vancouver. I knew that name sounded familiar...They did a track with Noisia and Mayhem called Centepod on Black Sun Empire's Cruel & Unusual.

Matty was half of Quadra, he is soley Pacific. To me, his releases in 2004~2006 were throwbacks to late 90s stuff by Matrix. He's been pretty quiet with dnb the past few years.

Also, a buddy of mine sent me a new old school dnb mix that he did just last night:

quote:

Old School Jungle '95 Selection

Mixed by: Evan Friel aka 4Real

Recorded: May 2011
Runtime: 58 minutes

100% Vinyl Tracklist:

Artist - "Title" Label

1) Droppin' Science - "Volume 1 - DJ Harmony Remix" Droppin' Science
2) Fallen Angels - "Hello Lover - Desired State Bad Boy Snare Mix" IQ
3) Keen - "Volume 2" Keen
4) Photek - "The Seventh Samurai" Photek Records
5) DJ SS feat. MC Power - "Black VIP Mix" Formation Records
6) Amazon II & Aphrodite - "Bass Lights" Aphrodite Recordings
7) Dillinja - "Ja Know Ya Big" Metalheadz
8) DJ Monk feat. Eek-A-Mouse - "Dance Hall Style" K.L.P. Records
9) Randall & Andy C - "Sound Control - A.W.O.L. VIP mix" AWOL / Ministry of Sound
10) Adam F - "Circles" Section 5
11) H.M.P. - "Runnin's - Origin Unknown Remix" G-Line Records
12) Lemon D - "I Can't Stop" V Recordings
13) Skool Of Hard Knocks - "Everybody" Grand Larceny
14) T.I.C. - "Too Fast" Back 2 Basics
15) DJ Flash feat. MC Fearless - "Pulp Fiction (Easy Does It)" Urban Gorilla Recordings
* Jo - "R-Type" Awesome Records
16) DJ Harmony - "Let Me In" Moving Shadow
17) DJ Gunshot - "Wheel 'N' Deal" No U-Turn
18) New Jack Pimps - "Water Jelly (Copter Lick)" Steppa'z Records
19) Hidden Agenda - "Is It Love?" Metalheadz

Stream: http://snd.sc/kCIpre

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/d2bg9t

The Keen (also recorded as Neo, some of my favorite stuff from 95~96), T.I.C. (I think this is an old Technical Itch alias?), DJ Gunshot and DJ Harmony stuff are nice, possibly unknown stuff for people here to check out.