Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
I just got back from seeing this.

It's a 2 hour chase scene. Has some highlights in there in terms of the action and movements. Overall, it was okay. I don't know why people are getting so worked out about it, unless they are fans of the series. I haven't seen any of them until this. Max was a pretty nothing character, he's not just 'basically' a supporting character - he didn't even really need to be in this film. It was about Furiosa and her pregnant ladies trying to find a home. Although I guess if you look at Mad Max as a kind of anthology character who just drifts in and out, it works that way.

I guess with regards to the art design it's kinda 'craaa-aaa-zz-zay' but in a really expected kind of way. Hard to describe what I mean. I was never really surprised by anything that happened or what people looked like. Maybe I had that soaked into me from internet osmosis despite never actually having seen the film. I didn't expect the world of it to be as silly as it is, though. I was expecting less funny masks and gangly chrome people. I thought it was gonna be more like Mad Max driving around in a car and there's a story and long conversations.

The guitar guy on the truck was cool, though.

quote:

I wonder if we'll get a more bloody cut. It felt like things just cut away a moment too soon rather than being filmed with a PG13 (or whatever it is in the States) in mind. Here's hoping.

Oh yeah, that was the other thing. It's pretty tame. No swearing and very little blood. Felt like a PG13 designed movie except for a couple of shots. It's 15 here in the UK. I was expecting more really rough action which I was also looking forward too and didn't get much of.

real_slime fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I loved Rictus' pointless and impotent machismo emptying of his gun after Angharad got caught up in the wheels of Immortan Joe's ride!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

nosophoros posted:

I loved Rictus' pointless and impotent machismo emptying of his gun after Angharad got caught up in the wheels of Immortan Joe's ride!

Speaking of which it feels like at least a couple of scenes with Rictus were cut. It just felt like he was shoehorned in. I guess they were going for a Wez/Humongous think with him and Immortan Joe, but there didn't seem to be much of a connection.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No you should watch it, it spoils nothing about the movie at all. Unless you're going to see it at the Alamo Drafthouse.

I am seeing it at the Alamo Drafthouse.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Well that sure was the most :krad: movie I've seen in a long time.

And the MRA shitlord outrage just makes the whole thing even better.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
How violent/graphic is it? In Canadian theaters, it received a 14A rating... Meaning you only need to be 14 to buy a ticket.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've only seen Thunderdome and I thought this was one of the best action films I've ever seen. It's so insanely over the top, it's like half Fallout, half Warhammer. I can hardly believe how much poo poo they packed into that entire opening scene, it's a goddamn feast. I wanna dedicate a shrine to this loving film.

xzoto1 posted:

How violent/graphic is it? In Canadian theaters, it received a 14A rating... Meaning you only need to be 14 to buy a ticket.

There'a lot of horrible violence, but it's not overly gory.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

xzoto1 posted:

Everything graphic happens offscreen or cuts away. Miller's a big fan of implying violence as opposed to graphic closeups. All you need is the sound of an arrow and a dog yelping and the audience fills in the horrible blanks for you.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I just saw it, and the only way I can describe the insanity of it is with the word relentless. It was absolutely relentless in its visual splendor - everything looked so crisp and imaginative that I was smirking and laughing throughout the film just from the sheer pleasure of witnessing it.

And that is what it was. A pleasure to witness. Such a head-rush that I can't even remember when a movie evoked such gleeful responses from me. I mean - you know that feeling that gut-punches you when you are seeing something so awesome that you just jolt in your seat? This movie was almost 2 full hours of that. The editing, pacing, stunt-work and camera-work in this film set a new standard for action-films.

Now that I think about it, Raid and Raid 2 had moments that evoked similar responses. But those films had moments, while this film... It was the whole package.

I need to see it again. And I am going to. The first film I see more than once in the theaters since The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Yeah.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Really, the only notably gory part was Immortan Joe's mask getting ripped off. And even then, it was only on-screen for a split second.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
8:30 showing tomorrow, woohoo

I can't believe it's here, and that the reviews are so good. My friends are all Star Wars fans, but this was my trilogy because I'm such a gearhead. I am so glad I'm not getting the treatment they got.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus, everyone is out of stock on the old movies. I guess I'm not the only one who had the idea of marathoning them before this weekend.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Besides Scream Factory's rad release of Mad Max on blu-ray last week, I know at least Road Warrior got a reprint that came out very recently too, that's crazy if they're just flat out gone already.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Really, the only notably gory part was Immortan Joe's mask getting ripped off. And even then, it was only on-screen for a split second.

A guy also gets his stomach and rib-cage blown open, but again, it's only on-screen for a split second.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I find it pretty funny that Miller was behind Happy Feet and Babe: Pig in the City. Polar opposites, hah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Besides Scream Factory's rad release of Mad Max on blu-ray last week, I know at least Road Warrior got a reprint that came out very recently too, that's crazy if they're just flat out gone already.

They aren't out of print or anything. I just think retailers weren't really stocked up and a new movie came out. Amazon has a 3 week wait for Road Warrior and the Trilogy is just sold out.

Not a big deal I can just rent it or buy an over priced copy at the local DVD place.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I'm seeing this tonight and I can't loving wait

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Saw it earlier this evening.

This movie is tremendous. I actually haven't seen any of the previous Mad Max movies (though am very aware of them culturally through Fallout etc.), but the invention and imagination of the world is the star. An Oscar nomination for production design should be a dead certainty. All the action is thrilling, Theron is fantastic, Tom Hardy is just the right side of irritating-IAMACTING-Tom-Hardy, all the secondary characters are very well drawn, the environment is startlingly beautiful (especially at night).

It's can be counterproductive to make comparisons (especially on this forum), but after being thoroughly underwhelmed and bored by Age of Ultron this movie was so fresh and invigorating and exactly what a summer action spectacular should be.

edit: Also, special mention for the soundtrack which is ace - crashing in with metal riffs when the crazy flamethrower-guitarist is on screen is so loving awesome.

Arthe Xavier posted:

Now that I think about it, Raid and Raid 2 had moments that evoked similar responses.

This is a brilliant comparison that I wouldn't have thought of but totally fits. It does for action films what the Raid did for martial arts films. A new standard has been set that everything following will be judged by.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 15, 2015

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

What's gory about that?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

The Stroker Ace posted:

What's gory about that?

It appears to be wired into his face

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

xzoto1 posted:

I find it pretty funny that Miller was behind Happy Feet and Babe: Pig in the City. Polar opposites, hah.

He's said in interviews that this is largely down to having kids, and when you have kids you watch a lot of kids' movies and family films, so he started thinking in that world for a while, then the kids grew up and moved out and the Mad Max world started to creep back in. (Though he was about to make MM4 in 2001 when 9 /11 happened and the financing fell through.)

It really is remarkable how much of a piece this feels with the earlier movies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm definitely glad it took this long to come to fruition, because I just can't see it being as good with 2001-era production values + aging Mel Gibson

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
Haha! The front cage on Max's slave-mask?

Yeah that bit on the front?

Well...

Production Design Oscar. Right there.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm definitely glad it took this long to come to fruition, because I just can't see it being as good with 2001-era production values + aging Mel Gibson

It's actually a miracle it came together when it did. If you read the interview with the cinematographer over at hitfix, Miller was just on the verge of filming the whole movie with a custom-built 3d camera that didn't look as good. He doesn't come right out and say it, but the implication seems to be that the movie was delayed so much that the 3d fad had started to die out and Miller went gently caress it and decided to shoot in 2d with a better camera sensor. It's all speculation, but it probably wouldn't look nearly as good as it does if he had filmed it a year or 2 earlier.

And then you also have to wonder about the R-rating. I get the sense it was shot so that they could kind of go either way with it, but you have to wonder if American Sniper being a massive success gave Warner Brothers the confidence to go all in on an R-rated release. I can't think of another movie at this budget level in the last 10 years that came out R-rated. The last precedent was Prometheus I guess (though I think that wasn't quite as high of a budget), and then the Matrix sequels before that?

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 15, 2015

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I'm in the theater waiting for it to start right now. Only a handful of people so far.

squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right
SO loving GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jynetik
May 1, 2015
Well we finally got a second negative review on RT, and surprise it's just as short, shallow, and half-baked as the previous one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loving LOVED this movie. It's a non-stop ride that is fun as all hell and so loving good. It's so pretty to look at, haven't been this happy seeing cars do crazy poo poo since Speed Racer.

The theater I was in was packed. The concession line took like 20 minutes. The line was up to the entrance...

... this was all for Pitch Perfect 2. Mad Max had like 25 people in the theater.

I hate this world :smith:

Flame guitar dude was the loving best.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
I just saw all three Mad Max Movies.

Honestly the first one is the best one, the third is the second best and the second is by far the worst.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Terrible troll.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

loving LOVED this movie. It's a non-stop ride that is fun as all hell and so loving good. It's so pretty to look at, haven't been this happy seeing cars do crazy poo poo since Speed Racer.

The theater I was in was packed. The concession line took like 20 minutes. The line was up to the entrance...

... this was all for Pitch Perfect 2. Mad Max had like 25 people in the theater.

Flame guitar dude was the loving best.

Pitch Perfect 2 is a good film.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

This movie is loving great and also saying flame guitar dude ruled so hard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Man I want to see this so bad now. And I promised my wife I wouldn't bumrush past the other man children just to get good seats!

Ugh oh well guess I'll just have to be patient.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Jynetik posted:

Well we finally got a second negative review on RT, and surprise it's just as short, shallow, and half-baked as the previous one.

Dude just hates blockbusters; he gave both Age Of Ultron and Furious 7 one out of fours.

Edit: or maybe he's just contrary for clicks, he gave Jupiter Ascending a three out of four.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 15, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dude.

DUDE.

DUDE.

Holy poo poo that loving owned so goddamn hard.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

3d projector is having technical difficulties so the etx theater is in 2d and I get free pass. Great result so far.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's rated R and based on a franchise that hasn't had a new entry since the 80s, and was a bit of a cult franchise even back then. Pitch Perfect 2 is probably going to make more this weekend in the US.

That said, I think the movie will do well over the long term during this summer. Word of mouth is going to do wonders for this film.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It should do well internationally, also.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

New Division posted:

It's rated R and based on a franchise that hasn't had a new entry since the 80s, and was a bit of a cult franchise even back then. Pitch Perfect 2 is probably going to make more this weekend in the US.

That said, I think the movie will do well over the long term during this summer. Word of mouth is going to do wonders for this film.

I'm not sure word of mouth does much anymore- they're gonna clear screens quickly for JP4. Kids' movies can hang around for a while but that's a different kind of market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

TerminalSaint posted:

It should do well internationally, also.

Yeah, that will be one of the benefits of the minimalistic dialogue and the general "show, don't tell" approach that Miller took with the film.

• Locked thread