Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yay I finally have a 3 hour break per week from my project! Now I have time to work on my assignments from every other class!! And the next project is assigned the day we turn in the previous one.

I spent 40 hours over the past 2 weeks with two other people working on this and only got the project half done. It's one of the easier ones :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Macroeconomics sucks dog balls anyway. I've never met anyone who has taken that course and said "yeah that was fun and informative, I'm so glad I took that class and got an A"

I'm the guy on the edge of the bell curve that is actually planning to major in economics. I did straight up tell my professor though that I couldn't wait to get out of his course and move on to actual content courses. He said he didn't blame me.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Besesoth posted:

I'm normally hesitant to say this, but that sounds like it might be grounds for legal action. If you can prove that you failed the class not because of the grades you received on assignments but because your professor screwed up and then the person in charge of handling professorial screw-ups dramatically mismanaged the situation, you ought to at least be able to recover the portion of your tuition that paid for the credit hours you had to spend re-taking the class.

Oh, don't worry, I got my money back. After talking with the department head and getting no where I decided just to contact the teacher directly and ask what was up. It turns out that he had accidentally marked the wrong column on the grade sheet and I should have passed the class. With that and an arm load of coursework, I went straight to the Dean and told him what happened. He right then and there set everything straight.

The only negative is that the department head never faced repercussions for any of this because he retired at the end of the semester. He had been there for so long that I guess the school found it easier to just let him retire instead of fire him. I hope him leaving bolstered their image though, because what says "freshman services" more than ancient old man who hates young people? :V

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Oct 8, 2014

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Razorwired posted:

One of my profs last year put 90% of our course grade into two research projects. She didn't grade the first project(due during midterms) until the Friday before finals. Everyone turned in their finals without any idea of how the professor approached grading.
Something similar happened in my summer classes, which are 16-week classes crammed into six weeks. I'd be getting back an assignment just as I turned the next one in.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

suuma posted:

Every class I've had at this university for the last 3 semesters has required APA formatting for all papers, etc., which is cool because I've finally mastered it and can do it in my sleep.

Now this required history class wants us to use Chicago formatting. :suicide:

Chicago and Turabian is pretty much standard for all history, so you would've run into it one way or another.

It's also a much better style than APA. :colbert:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

It's also a much better style than APA. :colbert:

This is the truth. It's so much more relaxed and easier to remember than APA. Sorry you have to switch, but I think you'll like using it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

suuma posted:

Every class I've had at this university for the last 3 semesters has required APA formatting for all papers, etc., which is cool because I've finally mastered it and can do it in my sleep.

I thank God everyday that all my upper division professors want to prepare me for a life of writing journal articles and prefer SAA style.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

suuma posted:

Do you not use a citation generator or have a manual that you can use? Chicago style is the standard for historical writing because APA, MLA, etc. are abominations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

High school/Junior college: 'MLA is the style you will use at university. Therefore, we are using MLA.'
College: 'You know that APA style that was never covered? That's what we use.'

Also, citation generators are pretty much the best thing ever because no one really gives that much of a poo poo about your undergrad papers for your classes.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Really, the only bothersome parts for me in papers is proper citation because it's a pain in the rear end to have to go into your writing and type everything this EXACT WAY. Otherwise writing's a cinch, I'm that good at it, but citation just feels like busywork most of the time.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Doing citations isn't the most fun thing in the world, but it's absolutely necessary to do and to have students know to do it. It's definitely not busywork.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

But it certainly is something that can be left to a program to complete.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

But it certainly is something that can be left to a program to complete.

Yeah and there are websites that can almost do the whole process for you thank god.

Awhile back I used a Shakespeare quote in an essay, can't remember what it was exactly but something like "nothing new under the sun", you know something that's in the everyday vernacular. I got marked down for not correctly citing it and not listing Shakespeare or the particular play it happened to be from in the bibliography.

New college complaint: I'm not attending school this term since my hours at work got slashed thanks to downsizing, and I was only two terms away from finishing...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A White Guy posted:

Also, citation generators are pretty much the best thing ever because no one really gives that much of a poo poo about your undergrad papers for your classes.

Beware taking this mentality into upper-level undergraduate courses, and you had better learn to do them without citation generators by the time you get to grad school.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I don't remember what the style was called, but I had a 'how to write scientifically' book for a basic biology course that told us to write 'et al.' as 'et. al' which, as someone with a latin minor, was painful.

(the 'al' is an abbreviation, hence the period. 'et' is just 'et')

Ducreux
Dec 14, 2009
My school has a limited number of licenses for the software package I need to use, so it's only available in a computer lab with 12 computers. Every time I go in there, there are students on their laptops sitting at these stations. Not even logged into the computer, just taking up the space browsing Facebook.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Ducreux posted:

My school has a limited number of licenses for the software package I need to use, so it's only available in a computer lab with 12 computers. Every time I go in there, there are students on their laptops sitting at these stations. Not even logged into the computer, just taking up the space browsing Facebook.

So tell them to move?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah and there are websites that can almost do the whole process for you thank god.

Awhile back I used a Shakespeare quote in an essay, can't remember what it was exactly but something like "nothing new under the sun", you know something that's in the everyday vernacular. I got marked down for not correctly citing it and not listing Shakespeare or the particular play it happened to be from in the bibliography.

New college complaint: I'm not attending school this term since my hours at work got slashed thanks to downsizing, and I was only two terms away from finishing...

That's the Bible, not Shakespeare.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Action-Bastard posted:

I didn't have to do it much in university, but I remember what a pain it was in high school when no one seemed to know how to cite a website.

My brother almost got in a bunch of trouble for citing sparks notes when he was writing an English essay one time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ducreux posted:

Most of my computer lab woes are communitycollege.txt problems. Namely the place being too drat noisy. Often times there are straight up classes in there. And the most egregious is when some dumbass, rather than walk over and talk to her friend across the room, just straight up yells. And no one does a drat thing. :wtc:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warmachine posted:

Most of my computer lab woes are communitycollege.txt problems. Namely the place being too drat noisy. Often times there are straight up classes in there. And the most egregious is when some dumbass, rather than walk over and talk to her friend across the room, just straight up yells. And no one does a drat thing. :wtc:

If your college library is anything like mine, there's nothing we can do about noisy patrons beyond politely asking them to stop or calling campus police.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Apocadall posted:

So tell them to move?

Or ask.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

This really works. Seriously.

"Hey, the software I need is on that computer. Would you mind letting me use it if you're done?"

Boom. No magic spell needed, no hiring a hitman, just simple words. And, no need to stew about it later, since you can get your work done! :dance:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My university just sent out an email titled 'Ebola:Being Prepared' :cripes:. The content of the email is 'Oh, we're totally prepared in case Ebola somehow arrives in (middle of nowhere, California)' :smuggo:.

My recent interactions with the university/local health system tell me we are hosed in a wickers hat if even a moderately severe flu epidemic occurred here, much less a disease with 50% fatality rate.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Every University Health Center Ever posted:

"I see you're bleeding profusely out of every orifice. Do you think you might be pregnant?"

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

A White Guy posted:

My university just sent out an email titled 'Ebola:Being Prepared' :cripes:. The content of the email is 'Oh, we're totally prepared in case Ebola somehow arrives in (middle of nowhere, California)' :smuggo:.

My recent interactions with the university/local health system tell me we are hosed in a wickers hat if even a moderately severe flu epidemic occurred here, much less a disease with 50% fatality rate.

"Please refund me the portion of my tuition that went towards this. Thanks."

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

That's pretty drat weird. I'd never even heard of that as a stereotype before.

You probably haven't met many polacks

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Soylent Pudding posted:

Every University Health Center Ever posted:

"I see you're bleeding profusely out of every orifice. Do you think you might be pregnant?"

This sounds dumb, but it makes a certain amount of sense. They're not saying "this might be a symptom of pregnancy", they're saying "do we have a fetus to worry about too?".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This sounds dumb, but it makes a certain amount of sense. They're not saying "this might be a symptom of pregnancy", they're saying "do we have a fetus to worry about too?".
[/quote]

Considering the amount of pregnant people on my campus as well, it doesn't seem like a bad question to ask.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warmachine posted:

Considering the amount of pregnant people on my campus as well, it doesn't seem like a bad question to ask.

It isn't a bad one to ask at all. If you are pregnant, they need to refer you to a proper hospital. No college clinic wants to try treating something they aren't absolutely positive they can help with because there are people who would sue their asses off if they tried and failed, or if they made a wrong diagnosis.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Ducreux posted:

In one of my classes we needed to use a particular piece of software, which was only licensed for a single computer lab. However, the only version of the software the school had licensed was the 64-bit version, and there was only one computer in the lab that was 64-bit, so the whole class had to ssh into a single computer to do our homework.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I don't get why you would give them the option of staying there wasting space?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Apocadall posted:

I don't get why you would give them the option of staying there wasting space?

Because in real life (outside the basement), you aren't a tough guy and need to interact with people in the real world. People use this thing called manners.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I get that asking about pregnancy in and of itself is a very sensible thing for a health center to do. The problem is that women feel social pressure to not answer honestly. This means that campus health center workers keep pushing and don't trust the initial answer. Whether that practice is sensible or not it causes many women to have a very negative experience where their doctor or nurse leaves them feeling patronized, infantalized, or morally outraged that medical professionals questioned their commitment to their values.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I get that asking about pregnancy in and of itself is a very sensible thing for a health center to do. The problem is that women feel social pressure to not answer honestly. This means that campus health center workers keep pushing and don't trust the initial answer. Whether that practice is sensible or not it causes many women to have a very negative experience where their doctor or nurse leaves them feeling patronized, infantalized, or morally outraged that medical professionals questioned their commitment to their values.

Which is more a problem with social pressure than university procedures. Being pregnant changes a lot of medical-related things, and university staff are well aware that this is an issue where students may not answer honestly. The problem is, if the student *is* pregnant but doesn't tell the clinic staff that, and the clinic proceeds with whatever, the clinic can inadvertently do a lot of harm to the student and her child. Completely aside from the very real possibility that the student or her parents will sue the university's rear end off, it hurts the student.

Faced with a choice between potentially hurting a pregnant student and their child, or pissing off a student, is it really a surprise that universities tend to opt for the latter?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Not really, which is why I clarified that regardless of sensibility it's still something that is terribly frustrating and possibly offensive to a lot of students seeking medical treatment.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
It appears that all the funding has been ripped away from disability services at my uni. They're sending out an automated response to any emails that says it will take them 3 - 5 days to respond. My Disabled Student Allowance pays for me to see a mentor weekly and, as the chap I was seeing for the last two years has now retired, you'd think they'd have been in touch to set up a new one. Nope.

I swear, it's loving shambolic that a uni that prides itself on being inclusive and forward thinking has such a shoddy approach to disability. I could literally write an essay on the regular gently caress ups they make that the able-bodied population never notice.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

chemosh6969 posted:

Because in real life (outside the basement), you aren't a tough guy and need to interact with people in the real world. People use this thing called manners.

I'm guessing you're the kind of person that would sheepishly go elsewhere if they said no then :)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Apocadall posted:

I'm guessing you're the kind of person that would sheepishly go elsewhere if they said no then :)

Haha, yeah what a loving beta you tell 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bad Roy posted:

It appears that all the funding has been ripped away from disability services at my uni. They're sending out an automated response to any emails that says it will take them 3 - 5 days to respond. My Disabled Student Allowance pays for me to see a mentor weekly and, as the chap I was seeing for the last two years has now retired, you'd think they'd have been in touch to set up a new one. Nope.

I swear, it's loving shambolic that a uni that prides itself on being inclusive and forward thinking has such a shoddy approach to disability. I could literally write an essay on the regular gently caress ups they make that the able-bodied population never notice.

You should. Nothing makes a university take notice like letters in the Telegraph.

• Locked thread