Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wots a qso card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

wots a qso card

a post card that has a photo on one side of your setup, and your station's callsign and the receiving station's on the reverse, perhaps signed with your callsign over hte photograph side

usually of spectacular mountains you live on, or your huge antenna farm, or some other penus extending aspect of your surroundings

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
also i meant QSL card not QSO - QSO is the communication success QSL is the acknowledgement of communication

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSL_card

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah they're sending you electronic QSL's and the $2 is for return postage for you to mail a card back.

musta been an address mixup somewhere.

Back in the day they would have mailed you a card, and included a couple of "International Reply Coupons", these weird antiquated "this is good to send One Letter From Any Country To Any Country, Very Slowly" stamps, for the return card. Traditionally American hams instead included a couple of "green stamps" for return postage when sending overseas though.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 8, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
time to make up some wacky fuckin cards

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i want vaporwave style cards

gotta get my call sign first I guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i should go take the exam at some point. still.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait too long and i will become a volunteer examiner and park my bus in front of ur driveway so you cant go to work till you pass lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont drive to work and dont have a driveway. owned.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
more radio hacking, replaced the shameful old uncompensated crystal with a modern TCXO, at 20 MHz nominal I measured 19.999'999'2 Mhz or around 0.04 ppm frequency error referenced to my old rubidium reference (which itself isn't calibrated well enough to accurately measure that precisely)
stayed that stable for around 30 minutes too

pretty drat impressed with these $30 TCXOs, will have to check in a year or so to see how badly they age, i was considering getting a OCXO eventually but if this keeps its accuracy there's no need

also replaced the old gas discharge tube rated for 1kA and known for failing from normal static buildup on wire antennas with a Bourns 2049 series 250V/15kA rated one, should handle nearby lightning strikes far better than the old one
running 100W into a tuned bit of wire and it didn't even glow

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

more radio hacking, replaced the shameful old uncompensated crystal with a modern TCXO

:eyepop:

I wonder if I can replace the crystals in the old fixed-channel AM/SSB marine HF transceiver I've got with one of these babies for amateur operation??

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

wait too long and i will become a volunteer examiner and park my bus in front of ur driveway so you cant go to work till you pass lol

i'm studying for the general right now and according to the test i think you'll need at least two more VEs for that :colbert:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

:eyepop:

I wonder if I can replace the crystals in the old fixed-channel AM/SSB marine HF transceiver I've got with one of these babies for amateur operation??

i did that in my FT-747 for the main timebase, it improved accuracy a little bit but the trouble with older rigs is the main time base for tuning can be upgraded, but then you also have to upgrade the various beat oscillators used to receive/transmit SSB
for the beat oscillator in SSB if the last IF is at 455 kHz (somewhat common in older radios) then USB reception will use a separate 455 kHz - 2.7 kHz oscillator, for LSB it's +2.7 kHz, exact frequencies depend on what kind of filter bandwidth is used

in the TS-850 literally all the other frequencies used for tuning and beat frequencies is generated based on the one 20 MHz reference so updating that improves everything

to answer your question properly, you'd have to build a frequency synthesizer that covers the frequency range you need (from the lowest frequency crystal to the highest frequency), a TCXO only runs at a single precise frequency and can't be meaningfully tuned except to make minute changes for calibration. they're also only available in standard frequencies like 10, 20, 12 MHz etc.
that's a fairly tricky thing to do... if you want to test it quickly jonny has been working on some arduino controlled DDS based frequency generators you might be able to use as a replacement depending on the frequency range, so start by measuring the actual frequency of the crystals (it's not the transmit frequency) and comparing it to what channel it makes
then program the generator to make that frequency and wire that signal to the output of the crystal oscillator circuit and see if it works

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

a TCXO only runs at a single precise frequency and can't be meaningfully tuned except to make minute changes for calibration.

so did this radio, so i might as well just choose some super cool calling freqs and call it a day

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
for crystal radios i think you can often hook a dds up to the crystal socket which then makes the rig frequency agile.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Crankit posted:

for crystal radios i think you can often hook a dds up to the crystal socket which then makes the rig frequency agile.

yeah this, the only real challenge is level matching, which isn't much of a challenge if you have a scope and some trim pots

with that done the next step is hooking up an optical encoder and possibly replacing the beat frequency oscillators to also use DDS, but that's completely optional wrt. using the radio without crystals

do you have schematics for the radio I can look at?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

i'm studying for the general right now and according to the test i think you'll need at least two more VEs for that :colbert:

ill take things i forgot about 5 minutes after taking the exam for $500 bob

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Adding to wishlist:

http://www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

kit price is unbeatable and that's like a leisurely 42 minute solder session

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my latest wish list addition is a GPS disciplined oscillator, the uncanny accuracy of that TCXO has left me wondering how good the cal is in the rubidium standard

might be able to check it against a cesium standard in a while though

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

Adding to wishlist:

http://www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

kit price is unbeatable and that's like a leisurely 42 minute solder session

the kit price doesn't seem too bad but what does it do, is it an fsk tnc for tx and rx

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i saw a bunch of those cards on the wall when i visited the ham radio station @ the diefenbunker (VE3CWM)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crankit posted:

the kit price doesn't seem too bad but what does it do, is it an fsk tnc for tx and rx

yeah afsk, bell 202. it could be homebrewed but i make the cost of it in an hour, it's not worth DIYing such a commodity type item.

i've been hating softmodems lately.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
can it do psk or qam, i'd be very interested if it did them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

my latest wish list addition is a GPS disciplined oscillator, the uncanny accuracy of that TCXO has left me wondering how good the cal is in the rubidium standard

might be able to check it against a cesium standard in a while though

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/crystals-and-oscillators/oscillators/852334?k=atomic :getin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
naw it's just a little basic 202 modem. howevvvvver I did see some modem chips that did 202, 103, and PSK. i will see if i can find them again

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

that's pretty amazing that they got a rubidium oscillator down to that size, i picked up a FE-5680A when they were still dirt cheap and modded it with a TTL converter using a super fast comparator and buffer, but that's around the size of my frequency counter

the advantage of a GPSDO is that it won't ever require calibration since the GPS network will always keep time on average, but i'd expect it to require at least a few days to settle properly so hardly a practical choice for quick measurements

someone actually makes a 10 MHz converter module for the TS-850S that takes a 10 MHz signal in instead of 20, i could have the most accurate ham station on the air

e: just ordered a cheap 10 MHz OCXO for my frequency counter so i don't need the 5680 every time i need to make a decent measurement, only trouble is i got a 5V oscillator and it turns out the OCXO option originally used a separate winding at 24V to supply the heater
also it actually runs off 1 MHz internally so i'll need a scaler and a buck converter for this to work
eh, should be a fun job to make this work

longview fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2015

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
what's the diff between a tcxo and an ocxo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

one is temperature-compensated while the other maintains a regulated temperature

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crankit posted:

tcxo = temperature compensated crystal oscillator
oxco = oven controlled crystal oscillator

basically the oxco is a crystal in a literal miniature oven that is set to an exact temperature
becauise the temperature is always constant the crystal is very precise

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Crankit posted:

they're both ways to reduce the temperature effect on crystal oscillators, the frequency is effectively set by the dimensions of a crystal, thermal expansion is the most significant effect on their accuracy, i've seen circuits that even use them as temperature sensors by measuring the frequency

oscillators can be trimmed electrically by varying a load capacitance on the output, but only over a small range
a temperature compensated oscillator (TCXO) uses a temperature sensor and either an analog circuit or a micro controller to change the capacitance seen by the crystal to reduce the effect of temperature, a modern one can keep extremely good time, typical spec over temperature is +-2 ppm or less compared to a 100-20 ppm uncompensated crystal oscillator

an oven controlled oscillator heats up the crystal to a stable temperature, it's then calibrated and only operated at that temperature, effectively eliminating any temperature effects, they can usually achieve around 0.01 ppm or better

fake e: beaten, oh well

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i love that people are falling over themselves to explain how oscillators are temperature corrected

a rubidium frequency standard (a very precise oscillator is usually called a standard since you can calibrate other test equipment based on them) is more like an atomic clock (cesium standard) than a crystal oscillator, here's a video from eevblog that made me buy one back then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I55uLRRvLCU

tl:dw, it relies on the physics of rubidium which has a resonance at around 6 GHz when at the right temperature, iirc it emits light or something when the exact frequency is found, a VCO generates that frequency, and a complicated circuit tunes the frequency over a tiny range to produce the most amount of light, at that peak the frequency is exactly the transition frequency (a known and drat near immovable quantity) and it's considered locked

the VCO output is then scaled to make whatever frequency you need, usually 10 MHz, sometimes these are also locked to GPS oscillators to correct for long term drift

it's easy to see when it's locked in when i measure something on a frequency counter based on that reference because the 10 MHz reference slowly sweeps between the edge frequencies looking for a resonance, then when it's warm it quickly changes to somewhere around the middle of that range and stays there

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Those rubidium frequency standards are like $100 used on eBay. I've been kicking around a the idea of making my own atomic alarm clock with one, but $$$ and effort.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
What a weird time to get into all of this. how active is digital radio right now? there's no good SDR that can hit digital yet so I can't eavesdrop on the olds to get an idea.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
digital audio is still very new and is actually pretty much dominated by D-STAR (for icom nerds) and P25 (for motorola surplus nerds), both of which are only on 2m or higher, local stuff. I think that an open codec would be smarter to do but the fact remains that d-star is a very competent solution with good products. its just vendor lockin.

Digital data modes (without even being pedantic as counting Morse as a data mode, which it is) are incredibly popular. a bidirectional radio to sound card interface lets you communicate on practically any widely-used mode (and a lot of barely-used ones) with even an old lovely laptop.

you dont even need a 'real radio'. an exercise for the reader is to get an SDR stick sending audio via some sort of soundflower/virtual audio cable to a program like DSD+ or maybe a pager decoder (note that this may be illegal) or a ham radio packet decoder.

also you should be able to pick up APRS traffic on the 2 meter band, US is 144.390 MHz FM, 1200 baud packet, I think Europe might be 144.8, I dunno about anywhere else

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i might just bite the bullet and pick up an SDR finally and see whats buzzing on 144.390 around here. i'm positive that theres a couple people around here using digital radios because they keep talking (bragging?) about it on the local repeater.

at this point theres literally no excuse for me to not have my license at this point so maybe i'll get to play around with a digital radio at the next meeting when i go to take my test or something

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

DSD+ works with an rtlsdr for p much everything digital voice but D-STAR. also if you have an upconverter or direct sample you can get some DRM or codec2 stuff happening on 20 meters. I tried using virtual audio cable but it's loving something up because nothing digital will decode even though the waterfalls all look fine, but slow scan signals are decoded like this

signal from the same call sign 2 minutes later after selecting the real sound card

maybe its dropping samples or something? idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll let him formally announce but yospos has a new ham

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll let him formally announce but yospos has a new ham

good to hear hausbus made it all the way to he driveway

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
not rly ham related i guess but my lil el cheapo chinese shortwave radio is in my mailman's possession. usually comes by around 3. childe's classmate has to go to a birthday party at 4. ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

here are the magic settings to make all of the greybeard and russian software happy (in my case at least), ignore my flows i hadn't pressed the reset counter button since starting to mess with it, there were no overflows with those settings. also 14.230 is very active today

i should probably find out where to take the technician exam, i've taken a fake one on qrz a few times and got passing scores all of the times

• Locked thread