Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
IIRC you won't fail the mission if you are Winchester and Request relief from AWACS before returning to base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DSauer posted:

Rather annoyed that BARCAPS are listed as a failure if you don't spend exactly 30 minutes around your target steerpoints. Wingman and I down three Mig-29s, eight Mig-21s and a gun kill on a Mig-19 but nope you didn't orbit a steerpoint with no weapons left for 30 minutes so its a failure.

Yeah, it's dumb. I've just stopped caring about mission status. And since it already fails me for shooting missiles too quickly, I will often wander off my steer point to fight interesting things, because it's going to count it as a failure anyway so :shrug:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is someone gonna take over the hosting tomorrow? Like said, I can't. Current goon save is in the link that my earlier post.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3245156510697095404/962FA4AA6FC339ABFC0503326E09D4A21A2A8EFD/

Its me. I'm the nerd with labels on in DCS. Its been me all along.

Been flying the A10 a bit in the past two days to stay familiar with all the systems. GAU-8 is still a joy to use. Using a modifier accuracy table though that a dude on the DCS forums suggested, using comparison with the 2A42 as a basis. Its spread is 2x as high, which seems about right. 2A24 was 0.0005, GAU-8 is 0.001. gently caress haters.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
^^ Russian bias.

Nothing wrong with using labels in DCS. It doesn't have the "smart scaling" mode that BMS has to make up for the fact that our monitors have significantly lower resolution and contrast than real life MK1s. You can modify the labels to be less cheaty though. Have them uncolored or remove unit names above a certain distance and so forth.

Korean Migs have figured out that getting into knife fights with me is a really bad idea so now they've taken to letting me line up a gunshot then diving straight into the ground in hopes that I'll follow. It also robs me of a recorded kill, sneaky bastards. Maybe their widows get an edible Corsage or something.

Thinking of doing a pair of effort posts about TWS Radar mode and gun fighting in the Viper because goons seem bad at them. TWS lets you very rapidly kill up to four migs at a time when used properly and TWS combined with a human wingman and Datalink is like "Haha, gently caress your airforce." Blowing all your bullets on a shot you have no hope of making is dumb. The EEGS gun mode you get by default when you toggle cannons is practically cheating if you have a radar lock on your victim.

As for tomorrow, I have a lunch date just before our usual go time, so I may or may not make it in time. If I'm there before 2PM EST and no one has started a server I'll do it. Otherwise I will be stuffing my face with delicious gourmet hamburgers.

Oh and this website if there really is no limit to how nerdy you can get.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 29, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DSauer posted:

^^ Russian bias.

Nothing wrong with using labels in DCS. It doesn't have the "smart scaling" mode that BMS has to make up for the fact that our monitors have significantly lower resolution and contrast than real life MK1s. You can modify the labels to be less cheaty though. Have them uncolored or remove unit names above a certain distance and so forth.

Korean Migs have figured out that getting into knife fights with me is a really bad idea so now they've taken to letting me line up a gunshot then diving straight into the ground in hopes that I'll follow. It also robs me of a recorded kill, sneaky bastards. Maybe their widows get an edible Corsage or something.

Thinking of doing a pair of effort posts about TWS Radar mode and gun fighting in the Viper because goons seem bad at them. TWS lets you very rapidly kill up to four migs at a time when used properly and TWS combined with a human wingman and Datalink is like "Haha, gently caress your airforce." Blowing all your bullets on a shot you have no hope of making is dumb. The EEGS gun mode you get by default when you toggle cannons is practically cheating if you have a radar lock on your victim.

As for tomorrow, I have a lunch date just before our usual go time, so I may or may not make it in time. If I'm there before 2PM EST and no one has started a server I'll do it. Otherwise I will be stuffing my face with delicious gourmet hamburgers.

Oh and this website if there really is no limit to how nerdy you can get.

I'd appreciate the write-ups. I honestly use TWS, but STT to go for the kill. Can you reliably notch and guide an AMRAAM til Pitbull with TWS, anyways? It seems to have multiple degrees of locking on.

And I was watching you on EEGS in that vid... this whole time I thought it was like "Oh, you want to manually align the targets wingtips in the funnel" like some oldass gyro-sight. I didnt pay attention to the lil' dot IN the funnel :(

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I'd appreciate the write-ups. I honestly use TWS, but STT to go for the kill. Can you reliably notch and guide an AMRAAM til Pitbull with TWS, anyways? It seems to have multiple degrees of locking on.

And I was watching you on EEGS in that vid... this whole time I thought it was like "Oh, you want to manually align the targets wingtips in the funnel" like some oldass gyro-sight. I didnt pay attention to the lil' dot IN the funnel :(

I haven't played in a while but I don't remember having any problems notching with TWS.

Using STT gives a warning to the pilot that you are locking that they wouldn't otherwise get until the missile has gone Pitbull. I'm pretty sure this is modeled in BMS and the AI won't go defensive as early if you stay in TWS.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Single Target Tracking is unnecessary for anything but the AIM-7, which needs to have a continuous uninterrupted radar beam with a high PRF in order to hit anything. Lose your lock for even an instant and it goes ballistic; also the high pulse repetition frequency is a dead give away that you shot an AIM-7 which is why it is a lovely missile. The AMRAAM doesn't actually use the radar beam of your FCR and couldn't care less about how you acquire targeting data as long as you can give it a point in space to fly towards (I wouldn't be at all surprised if some Raytheon engineer has code sitting in a repo somewhere to let AMRAAMs track on targeting pod data). The AMRAAM handles all intercept calculations on its own and only needs your radar in order to tell it where the target is and where it is going on launch. Assuming the target never changes its direction of travel the AMRAAM would just run in to it. Of course no target will maintain a perfect flight path especially if its trying to not get killed so your FCR will occasionally let the missile know where the target is now going so it can recompute its intercept point.

Your FCR is capable of tracking up to a ten targets in TWS mode and can handle AMRAAM missile shots on four targets at once; more than ten targets are tracked like regular RWS contacts. TWS works by assigning a unique ID to each target that it detects and then builds a "track file" for each ID. Everytime your radar beam sweeps a target the FCR figures out if its a contact with an existing track file and updates the file, after it does that a couple of times it can display that nice direction icon. If the beam sweeps a spot where it thinks a target should be and doesn't find one you get that red icon instead of a yellow one. If it doesn't find what it expects within 13 seconds it dumps that track file and will display a blinking red icon for five seconds. If the FCR happens to detect the same target after its track file gets dumped it doesn't refresh that file it begins building a new one.

As your FCR starts building track files on contacts it also internally sorts them by priority. Priority is determined by the target's range and the order in which they were detected; the FCR cannot tell friend from foe so don't assume that higher priority targets are bad guys. Pressing TMS-Up on a contact in TWS mode indicates to the FCR that it is your Target of Interest (TOI) and that contact is implicitly assumed to have highest priority. Pressing TMS-Up on a contact once is calling "bugging" the target. It doesn't actually cause your radar beam to focus on the target like it would in STT or SAM (Single Active Missile) mode and won't make their RWR go nuts. All it does is tell your FCR that you think that track file has the highest priority. If you press TMS-Right the FCR will start "bugging" each track file that it has from highest to lowest priority in turn (so generally from closest to furthest). If you press TMS-Up on a track file twice you will enter STT mode, this is bad, don't do that; unless you want to drive a human player nuts because the F-16's FCR has a really annoying RWR noise.

So how does all that matter? Remember that the AMRAAM doesn't give a poo poo about your radar beam, its doing all the hard work itself, it just needs to be told the target's position and heading so it can compute an intercept. When you bug a track file and shoot an AMRAAM the FCR tells the missile what it needs to know about that track file and as long as you still have that track file the FCR will update the missile with new information on that track file every few seconds. If you dump the track file yourself with TMS-Down or the FCR dumps it because it can't find the target anymore, the missile will continue to fly with the information it currently has, just as if you had lost a lock in STT mode. The FCR can do this for four missiles. Each time you fire an AMRAAM the FCR remembers which track file you shot it at and will let the appropriate missile know what it's track file is doing.

So how do you kill four Migs in two seconds? Slew your cursors over the lead Mig. Reduce scan angle to 20 degrees so those migs are all your FCR can see. TMS-Right, Fox 3, repeat three more times. If you're in a congested air space and you aren't sure that your FCR will prioritize those hostiles you can still fire all the missiles, just manually bug a target, shoot, slew to a new target, bug it, shoot, etc... Just don't go into STT mode or they'll know you fired at them. This is great against Migs that aren't actively hunting you since they have no idea you just shot a missile at them until the AMRAAM goes active, and then its to late.

A note about symbology. When you fire a missile at a currently bugged target its icon will turn red and get a slashed line drawn through it. It looks very similar to the icon used for a lost track file, so pay attention. Each additional track file you fire on will get a purple icon. Your HUD will only show missile time to Pitbull/Impact symbology for the last missile you fired.

If all that wasn't scary enough, the F-16's TWS-AMRAAM abilities are baby frolics compared to other aircraft in US inventory. The F-18E/F can handle a dozen missiles in the air at once (and can carry that many) and its FCR doesn't even need to use its own radar beam to do it. It can provide target position updates to the AMRAAM from tracking data received from other aircraft or even the AWACS. The pilot sees that information on his FCR as if it was coming from his own radar only with a different icon to indicate the track file is built from foreign data. A Hornet pilot doesn't have to have his radar turned on to kill you with an AMRAAM. One of the Tom Clancy like jerk off scenarios is an F-22 acting as the sensor platform for a flight of Super Hornet missile trucks (Tom Clancy never explained how he would get the Air Force and Navy to agree to that, the big babies). The F-15 was doing all of this long before any of those planes came on the scene and the F-14 could do it from 100 miles away with six hilariously large missiles, which it never got to do.

An example video. The first part is snuffing a two ship, followed by firing on three targets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0I1rREsrg

And for EEGS. I say its nearly cheating because the F-16's EEGS mode has the "kill dot", which you noticed in that video. The kill dot doesn't let you murder a hostile target at a whim unfortunately; there's still a lot of work to do.

First off you need to know about planes of motion. I mean plane in a mathematical sense. Draw a line from the tail of the airplane through its nose and draw a plane through that line at the same angle as its roll. That's its plane of motion and you need to be on it or you'll hit nothing. If the target has a single vertical stabilizer just look at it, whatever it's orientation is is the target's plane of motion.

If you don't have a radar lock the funnel acts just like any other gyro-stabilized gunsight. Maneuver until the target's wingtips touch the sides and pull the trigger. Of course all your rounds missed because you didn't establish plane of motion and the funnel is set to the wingspan of a Fulcrum by default and you're probably trying to kill a Mig-19 or 21 or something (because the Mig-29 is already on your tail and you're never going to get him off it, just eject). Just having the target touching the funnel isn't enough, you need to maneuver so that your aircraft's direction of flight is the same as the target's since the funnel is showing you where your bullets will be in the future, not right now. If the target is touching the funnel but your nose is pointed to the sides of its flight path, you get nothing. The best way to do this is to put the boresight cross on the target and follow it around with it. When the target stops weaving so much, pull up in the same direction the target is travelling while holding down the trigger. You'll waste a lot of rounds but he's going to fly into a wall of bullets. You can change the wingspan setting of the gun funnel with the UFC.

With a radar lock none of that matters. The gun funnel now becomes a tool to help you establish the same plane of motion as your target and even more so you get a vector line at the top of the funnel that shows you the difference in your plane of motion compared to the target's. Its that horizontalish line that's bobbing all over the places near the top of the funnel. If that line isn't moving your flying in the same plane (in a mathematical sense) as your target. Pull up until the kill dot touches the target and tap your tigger, RIP him. The kill dot isn't perfect because the image you get on the HUD is not in real time. It lags a few milliseconds. So when you pull start shooting an instant before the dot touches the target.

The F-16 also has two other gun modes. LCOS and Snap. Snap is the gun mode earlier blocks of the F-16 had and it doesn't use your radar at all. Its just a line showing you where your bullets will be from zero to five seconds from now. Lots of Vietnam/Cold-War Tom Clancy jerk off movies about fighter jets showed this off in dogfight scenes. You use it like you would the gun funnel with no radar lock. Run the line through your target's plane of motion while holding down the trigger. LCOS is very similar to what the F-18 uses and needs to have a radar lock. Its essentially EEGS but replaces the funnel with a straight line and replaces the kill dot with a big circle. Maneuver the straight line into the same plane of motion as the target and pull the trigger when its in the kill circle. I don't really like LCOS mode as the line and dot seem to move all over the place at random. Its not actually random, they're moving around the same way the vector line in EEGS does, but I don't find it as intuitive. I also prefer the funnel for establishing the target's motion. Try them all out.

If all else fails do what everyone did before radar came on the scene. Make the target fill your HUD and pull the trigger. You can't miss if your bullets have no real travel time. Plane of motion is the hardest thing to figure out. If the tail ends of the gun funnel are bouncing all over the place you're not in plane and you're just yanking the stick all over the place. You need to fly your aircraft in the same direction the other guy is and have a nice smooth funnel right up until he eats the kill dot.

Several examples of shots taken out of plane. Also how not to merge with a Mig-29.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthyCfygzZU

Edit: This was going to have pictures and stuff, but then I just started writing and gently caress it. Ask questions if you need anything clarified.

Edit 2: Looks like BMS also has a gun mode called SSLC which seems to be Snap mode with a kill dot. So you have all sorts of options when it comes to gunning. Try them all and pick your poison.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 4, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
read this post ppl ^^

Vahakyla posted:

Is someone gonna take over the hosting tomorrow? Like said, I can't. Current goon save is in the link that my earlier post.

I'd host but I have poo poo to do today.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Wait, how do you switch to LCOS mode? I'm really used to that thanks to Ace Combat and Flaming Cliffs so it'd be nice to have gun symbology that makes sense to me.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
When you switch to guns, you can press the MDF button on your SMS page labelled EEGS. It will toggle the various modes.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm having some issues with CMS on my X52. The up and left pick up but don't do anything, so I can't get chaffs/flares to fire and I think I've got everything configured correctly. Down/right to toggle EMC works fine. Is there something that commonly goes wrong I might be missing? I'm using the setups here: http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Falcon_BMS_Setup

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You may have your EWS system turned off or set to standby. Check the Left Panel near the throttle, and the left Aux Panel just above the throttle. More likely you have no EWS programs set. In one of the 2D maps screens (the campaign map is convenient) click the Data Cartridge button and setup some EWS programs. You can also just hit the reset button to set the default modes. Save it and it will be automatically loaded by your virtual RAMP start bitch when you select Taxiway or Runway starts. If you RAMP start on your own you'll need to load the DTE cartridge. Refer to page 17 in the BMS Manual.

This dohicky:

Also watch this video about the DTE Cartridge, I started it at the EWS page specifically.

Edit: Did anyone get a game going today or was it a wash?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just bind a key to CMS LEFT and a key to SLAP SWITCH, which bypass all the settings on the panel and deploy programs 6 and 5 respectively. I'm too lazy to fiddle with countermeasure modes and program selection, so I went old school and made one dump a lot of flares and the other dump a lot of chaff. I can't remember which one is which so I usually just hit both in a panic. I am the worst f16 pilot.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DSauer posted:

More likely you have no EWS programs set.

Yep, it was this. Somehow every program was set to fire nothing at all. I'd stupidly not poked around in EWS despite having set up comms before in the same screen :haw:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3245156510729645495/9897AF8D06D7533A3E195FC1304B2A25A4521BB7/

gently caress flying the Huey without pedals. Jesus this is ridiculous.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Without the tail rotor pedals are not longer a problem for you. You're free!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
My campaign keeps crashing on a CAS mission I want to fly. Everytime I slew an IR sensor (Maverick or TPG) over the target area the game immediately crashes and the crash log has a nice stack trace showing an access violation in the IR sensor code when it tries to look up the IR value of a unit. Going to bet the game didn't properly clean up a dead unit and now its trying to dereference a pointer to an object that no longer exists in memory :downs:. Wanted to try an Iron Fortress campaign anyway.

I love you C++, you're my baby, but baby you were so bad in your teenage years. Glad you grew up in 2011. Really is a shame the BMS team keeps their branch of the Falcon 4 code closed, I'd love to touch that poop.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 30, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I don't really have a problem flying the Mi-8 without pedals, all I have is my Extreme 3D Pro.

Is the Huey that different?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Leo Showers posted:

I don't really have a problem flying the Mi-8 without pedals, all I have is my Extreme 3D Pro.

Is the Huey that different?

Its totally possible that my stick is a problem, since its a bit old. We've got the same stick even, so IDK.

Its just extremely wobbly for me with the Huey in every axis of control. I sort of wish I'd gotten the Hip instead, due to its stability. The Huey has no autopilot, so its constantly squirming back and forth for me to some extent. I'll take a vid later on to show how it goes, and my stick inputs. IN FACT? HERE YA GO!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/13mfgga5chu118l/Huey_Landing_Kinda.trk

Drop it in the user/name/saved games/dcs/tracks folder

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 30, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have danced my heart out, along with my soul and sanity.

It seems like this sunday went under the table, so the coming wednesday we resume campaign from my save point.

If someone needs a helping hand before that day, holler here.

Seriously guys, you all need to start doing some dancing.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
I ran with dogs all weekend, does that count?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
My lunch date turned into a movie where I got to watch Scientology Jesus die over and over again. It was good.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
Shipping to Alaska takes loving forever. i want my warthog :P

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dudes on the ED forum say my pots may be in need of replacement from the vid I posted. So my Wingman's on its last, shaky legs apparently. Man I wish that loving T-16000M sale hadnt sold out so fast!

You get your campaign working DSauer? Or was it pretty much hosed beyond repair?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Its fine as long as I don't sweep an IR sensor of any sort anywhere near the land battle happening north of Seoul. So its basically hosed.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Wh1plash posted:

Shipping to Alaska takes loving forever. i want my warthog :P

Where'd you order from? Most places seem to be sold out in the US.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

MrSamurai posted:

Where'd you order from? Most places seem to be sold out in the US.

Amazon, I got one of the last ones before they went out of stock

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Question regarding laser-guided bombs:

I'm flying the A-10C in DCS and I'm learning how to use guided bombs. The GBU-10 and -12 are confusing me a little in their implementation. Since I'm learning, I'm doing a straightforward CCRP mode and using auto-lase from like 15K ft. What I don't understand is the lase time. Auto lase sets it to start lasing the target a certain amount of time (10s in the training scenario) before the bomb hits the target. Why wouldn't you want to lase the entire time, before the bomb gets too far off-course?

The only situation I can think of where a less-than-maximum auto-lase time would be useful would be for hitting a moving target, since you wouldn't want the bomb to lose all its energy by tracking a target too early. However, for stationary targets, this seems kind of unnecessary. Are there any disadvantages to setting a maximum lase time when hitting a stationary target with an LGB?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
What I've heard is that LGB guidance is really dumb (I think the control surfaces only have two deflection settings?) and it will lose all its energy and miss even against a stationary target if you lase too early.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Its not so much that and more that they only have enough energy stored for about 8-12 seconds of guidance before it reverts to just being a dumb bomb. The idea is you drop the bomb roughly as close as you can in CCRP mode, use the mode on the TGP to follow your target if its moving, and wait till the little number on the left of your HUD that indicates time of impact is about 8 seconds. Then, arm your laser and watch that bomb soar in

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Oh so it's an energy problem. Now I understand. Any reason not to just auto-lase it at 8s before impact? i.e., are there situations where manual lasing using your nose-wheel button is useful?

VVV: Oh, duh.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 1, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Buddy lasing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Also, if a payload for a mission ever gives you the snakeye/retarded bombs, use them on the mission creator because he's awful and dumb.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Switching the TGP to AA mode and Pointer Mode and blinding your wingman at night. Morse Code signalling. Pointing out on NVGs that the arab wedding is right there, over there, no not that building that's an orphanage, they're not having a wedding there tonight. Annoying the poo poo out of a dude playing Combined Arms. So many things you can do with laser pointer mode. And buddy lasing I guess.

The seeker head on a GBU has a very narrow field of view. If you begin lasing at drop it won't even see the reflected laser dot until it has lost enough kinetic energy to be pointing nose down. Eight seconds before impact or so is usually about when the target comes into field of view. That's why you want to be reasonably accurate with your flight path and drop time in CCRP mode; to far out of the sweet spot and the bomb never sees your marker. This also makes it hard to hit fast moving targets. GBUs look for reflected laser energy, so a little dot on whatever it is you want dead. They don't follow the beam like Vikhr missiles do.

This is why JDAMs are awesome if you don't have to hit a moving target. Just show up somewhere around the target area and hit the pickle. Point and click arab wedding destruction.

Dandywalken posted:

...retarded bombs...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hoho about to buy the T-16000M, and see that Amazon's cheapest jumped up to 85 bucks.

Hooray :(

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BMS tonight in 9 hours, at 9pm EST, 6pm PST.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Vahakyla posted:

BMS tonight in 9 hours, at 9pm EST, 6pm PST.

I'll be 3 hours late tia

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'll be there. Also, new stick gets here the 11th of July. Cant wait :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
I will be there as well, probably slightly late. I can't wait to get shot down by SAMs, my current nemesis.