Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, prices on Panteras are over what I think is right for their value:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-19/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, prices on Panteras are over what I think is right for their value:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-19/

That looks like a REALLY nice Pantera, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

That looks like a REALLY nice Pantera, though.

I agree. But if that thing goes over 80k, I just don't think it has the driving chops to be worth it. I could be totally wrong, having never been near one.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Here is what you should be looking at next, you did want a lotus esprit at one point and this think is just so intensely weird that I love it. It's like a future car out of 80s sci-fi.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-lotus-excel/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Asked the owner what was going down with the 348.

All valves need replacing. The shop is going to repair the head damage. And they need to replace a camshaft.
On Ricambi America, an intake cam is $1200, the right exhaust cam is $2700, and the left exhaust cam is 'Call.'
I think the European vendors are better stocked.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh god.

... I wonder if anyone welds up and regrinds cams for those. I mean, as long as it's out...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's some expensive small scrapes and bang marks. :cry:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a pricey meatball.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

LS swap.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
If the cam doesn't have any other damage, I don't see why it can't be repaired. Same goes for the damage to the cylinder head. He needs to get Keith Fenner on it :science:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

If the cam doesn't have any other damage, I don't see why it can't be repaired. Same goes for the damage to the cylinder head. He needs to get Keith Fenner on it :science:

The heads they're doing in-house. That one cam doesn't look bad to me, but maybe there's other damage. Does a nick like that cause balance issues at redline RPM?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It certainly would face balance issues - the question is whether or not they are significant enough to warrant balancing. If it was :siren: MY FERRARI :siren: then I'd have it balanced at a place-that-does-balancing before fitting it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Only IMO but if youre going to do a teardown and rebuild, cheaping out on a camshaft wouldnt by my choice of a cash saving method. Especially on that engine.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I mean if hes having his own shop do the work then its honestly not that expensive. 3-4k all said and done? I doubt the guy is sweating it too much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A belt kit is like 2500, but might be a bit cheaper. Yeah, it's all about using the free shop labor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's no reason you can't undercut genuine Ferrari prices and still get excellent quality kit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It'd be worth it as long as it's not genuine Ferrari quality.

I'm gonna go really hard on this one:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-lancia-delta-hf-integrale-3/

and then ehhh on this one:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-porsche-911-carrera-5/

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I like that 911! I clicked through the photos before looking at any of the details and was not expecting 240K miles! That is the kind of car you can drive without much to worry about. The Lancia is also awesome. I remember seeing one driving around the University of Utah that was slick and clean as ever. I nearly broke my neck looking at it going the opposite direction. A lot of incoherent words came out of my mouth trying to explain to my wife what happened. She didn't understand :sigh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

911 is definitely the better option of the two. It's a driver, would be in immaculate condition for Boston, and a fraction of the Lancia price. The Lancia would be nice, but a LOT of its value is in its pristine condition. Boston would have its way with that in a hurry, with a commensurate decrease in value.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Also ducktails are the best

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Integrale needs preventative maintenance; maybe that'll keep the price down. The last two went mid 20s, not as clean, but up to date. I need to see how often they've come up in BaT history. I don't want to miss the boat on them.

The 911 might need a rebuild, but I wonder if I could try to get away with it for longer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That interior on the Lancia, holy moley.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You *really* dont want the Intergrale. They don't drive as well as the Japanese AWD's of the era and it's a hosed piece of poo poo reliability-wise. Oh and rust. LOL the way they rust. Lucas style electricals? HAHAHAHAHA that would be an improvement! Ease of working on it when one of it's many things it can break, breaks? You wouldn't wish working on it on your worst enemy.

Oh and they explode headgaskets in ways Phase 1 Subaru EJ25's wouldnt even contemplate. And you will need to do a timing belt immediatly, that much age on it is a timebomb. It is a garage queen, plain and simple.

Owning Lancias are about as much fun as bashing your dick with a hammer from personal experience. Except with bashing your dick, you at least choose to stop - a Lancia will keep inflicting pain

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Lancia is super cool because it's the ultimate hot hatch and I love hot hatches, but I gotta say if I had the cash a 911 would be my choice for a great all-around sports car. They really are the best everyday sports car, and I would daily drive one all day long if I could.

[e] Although if I were to get a rare expensive hot hatch I think i'd look for a Renault Turbo 2 first :3:

[e2] Oh My God http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/28/series-one-seats-75k-1983-renault-5-turbo-2/

:swoon:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 12, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Owning Lancias are about as much fun as bashing your dick with a hammer from personal experience. Except with bashing your dick, you at least choose to stop - a Lancia will keep inflicting pain

I think the best Integrale repair (and there are many) is the power steering rack.

Somehow the Italians managed to make a total bitch job on any car even worse.

Also, the rack itself is agonizingly slow. On RHD models they just jammed a steering rack from the Fiat street-car parts bin in there so it's even slower.

The water pump is a total bitch to replace and extremely expensive for no real reason.

Before you buy it you should look at the top of the B and C pillars because they rot and the unibody will distort under hard offroad driving.

Hell of a car though. It's a shame that the Italian economy has been too poor to allow Lancia to do enough cocaine to take the Ypsilon rallying.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 12, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Lancia is super cool because it's the ultimate hot hatch and I love hot hatches, but I gotta say if I had the cash a 911 would be my choice for a great all-around sports car. They really are the best everyday sports car, and I would daily drive one all day long if I could.

[e] Although if I were to get a rare expensive hot hatch I think i'd look for a Renault Turbo 2 first :3:

[e2] Oh My God http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/28/series-one-seats-75k-1983-renault-5-turbo-2/

:swoon:

Are you a bad enough dude to own a 80's French Hatchback?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think the best Integrale repair (and there are many) is the power steering rack.

Somehow the Italians managed to make a total bitch job on any car even worse.

Also, the rack itself is agonizingly slow because that was the part they took from the standard car.

The water pump is a total bitch to replace and extremely expensive for no real reason.

Before you buy it you should look at the top of the B and C pillars because they rot.

Oh dear LORD, yes if you have never experienced changing a rack in Delta, you just don't know how much an engineer could hate mechanics so much. I've changed a headgasket and.... you know what? I'd rather burn the loving car to the ground. Which fortunantly on a Lancia of that age will probably happen, given the electricals will be just complete dry rot.

If you drove that car, you wont believe what will fail in short order. The fact the timing belt MUST be changed now is ugly just by itself.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There was a goon that had an Integrale a few years back. IIRC they owned it for 18 months, and the owner said he only got to drive it maybe 6 times ever, because the rest of the time was spent trying to unfuck Lancia electricals or sitting in the shop waiting for parts.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am kinda in love with the Lancia's wheels. I think at 25k that should be the top because of all the things said by others. Beautiful though. I'm just working class but have you thought of just flogging the Boxster and saving the money?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

There was a goon that had an Integrale a few years back. IIRC they owned it for 18 months, and the owner said he only got to drive it maybe 6 times ever, because the rest of the time was spent trying to unfuck Lancia electricals or sitting in the shop waiting for parts.

Was that the one where the car was basically 100% colonized by moss? I don't think that one ever ran again, or at least they abandoned the thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Was that the one where the car was basically 100% colonized by moss? I don't think that one ever ran again, or at least they abandoned the thread.

Yep. It just simply turned into a true shop of horrors the more he dug into it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to own a 80's French Hatchback?

Yes. Yes I am :colbert:

My pockets aren't deep enough tho :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When that Lancia had moss on it, I was like, it's over.
CT, I know you've always hated the Integrale, which makes me fairly cautious. But all the videos of people driving it seem to give it rave reviews as far as handling. There was something magical about the 348 being a car from 1991 that was extremely competent all around but yet special because of the different regulations and design aesthetics of the time. The way people talk about the Integrale makes me think the same way. Another case of to run one...

In comparison to the 911, those are in a way more common (just look at how many BaT clears), so I feel like I don't have to get one now. But a Trans Am colored one that might be cheap is definitely tempting.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
But still man it's a 911 with a quarter million miles! I love the look though.

Edit: kimbo there was an Esprit a year or two ago that went for like $26 that the dude had spent 100 customizing. That was the steal of the year. Lately that cream with yellow graphics 911 was just drool worthy.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 12, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

But all the videos of people driving it seem to give it rave reviews as far as handling.

Here's the truth about it's handling. Believe it or not I am a Lancia fanboi esp their older cars and I would kill for an 037 or S4. And I would have a Stratos and masturbate to it daily (and ignore how ugly the chassis is under the gorgeous clothes). Gimme a HPE or Beta Coupe too (despite how awful they are in plenty of ways) and have you seen how gorgeous a Fulvia coupe is????? - so making GBS threads on a Delta doesnt actually still well with me buuuut..... yeah no it's one of the most overhyped cars of all time.

It's understeer and more understeer without a lot of throttle playability on the limit. There is no "spooky" zone where the car transitions from "quick" to "OMG WTF how did I get around there so fast" - it's speed around corners is solely reliant on grip, rather than finesse.

No denying that while it runs, it's small and light. It is however in no way a car you can put on a dime - more like aim for the nearest meter and hope for the best. In rallying it was the ultimate point and shoot weapon - bigger cars like the Liberty RS and Galant VR4 outhandled it (!) but couldn't keep up as they were considerably heavier and bigger. Once the Japanese worked out that they needed to downsize into the EVO and WRX.... game over for Lancia.

(To be honest a lot of Lancia's Delta's success is proof bulk spending can buy the best drivers, the best mechanics and the best scrutineers and spending six times the amount of anyone else is going to give you a huge advantage)

Some of the issues are fixed in the Integrale Evoluzione II. But otherwise Oh god no, it's not a good handling car at all, it's a grip monster at best and a pig understeer at worst. Others might like grip monsters but I dont - handling happens when the grip runs out and when it runs out on a Delta you are visiting a tree head on screaming WHY WONT IT TUUUUUUUUURN!!!!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I know you've passed on it already but for the record...

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like Panteras have really good cachet, that is, I'd pay a premium just for the name. Are they even well engineered for driving?

...no, no they are not. Elvis had one and shot it when it wouldn't start. I know of two people who've owned Panteras locally, they both caught fire. But it is attractive in a "take it out two times a year, laugh when it won't start the third" kind of way, like Lancias. Whenever you see a video of someone extolling the virtues of passione etc, it's usually a vlogger or TV-personality who happens to have borrowed it from someone who owns a fleet of exotics and can cope with the aviation-like maintenance hours to flight hours ratio. The antithesis to your car wants, as I read them.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Ola posted:

I know you've passed on it already but for the record...

...no, no they are not. Elvis had one and shot it when it wouldn't start. I know of two people who've owned Panteras locally, they both caught fire. But it is attractive in a "take it out two times a year, laugh when it won't start the third" kind of way, like Lancias. Whenever you see a video of someone extolling the virtues of passione etc, it's usually a vlogger or TV-personality who happens to have borrowed it from someone who owns a fleet of exotics and can cope with the aviation-like maintenance hours to flight hours ratio. The antithesis to your car wants, as I read them.

...How do you gently caress up a Cleveland or a Windsor bad enough to where it doesn't even start or catches fire?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

That was me. It was a total clusterfuck and the electricals were worse than the rust. I managed to unseize the engine and flip it for 200% but gently caress me that was a bad car. However I can say I owned a Lancia Delta so gently caress it.

The guy I sold it too turned it into parts. I still have the original toolkit somewhere.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ishikabibble posted:

...How do you gently caress up a Cleveland or a Windsor bad enough to where it doesn't even start or catches fire?

Do fires with a 351M count?

If they do, I had... I think 3? on my F-150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No denying that while it runs, it's small and light. It is however in no way a car you can put on a dime - more like aim for the nearest meter and hope for the best. In rallying it was the ultimate point and shoot weapon - bigger cars like the Liberty RS and Galant VR4 outhandled it (!) but couldn't keep up as they were considerably heavier and bigger. Once the Japanese worked out that they needed to downsize into the EVO and WRX.... game over for Lancia.
That's sort of what I feared -- the 348 can hold its own against most 300hp sports cars today and has a special look.
If the Integrale only ticks the latter but can get outhandled by an early Evo, that's disappointed.

quote:

it's not a good handling car at all, it's a grip monster at best and a pig understeer at worst. Others might like grip monsters but I dont - handling happens when the grip runs out and when it runs out on a Delta you are visiting a tree head on screaming WHY WONT IT TUUUUUUUUURN!!!!

I do like grip, but no one likes understeer. If you've had lots of seat time in one, I'll take your word for it over Matt Farah's, whose one take on the Integrale I'm sure you hated.

I think I'll get outbid by a little bit on this one, so will get freed up by auction's end. If it were an EVO, I'd probably still bid harder despite CT's and SSS's advice. Those box flares :eng99:

e: also, I really love this one, but the price is maybe a little high for me: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-porsche-911sc-3/

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 12, 2017

• Locked thread