Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

megane posted:

Isn't there a thing where every Chinese squad that dies gets instantly replaced? Is there a point to beating up the Chinese?

Actually, for that matter, is it really the best strategy to fight on all these dozen of little fronts at once? I mean, obviously that's how it happened historically, but couldn't the player ignore all the dozens of little islands and concentrate all those forces to like, conquer Hawaii or something?

Chinese units do get replaced, but that means they still require supplies. If you can cut off their supply production/routes than you could, theoretically, conquer them.

As for the islands thing, the issue arises is where are you attacking from and to. For instance, there's a lot of empty space between the Philippines and Hawai but ignoring those precious few islands means two major things.

1) You're giving the enemy a lot of free bases to use as airfields to harass your shipping.

2) Your ships have to travel over much longer periods which makes it harder to react to stuff without having ships floating around all the time.

Eventually, yes, you'll probably imitate real life and skip some of the lesser islands but usually only because there's no sense fighting someone for an island off the coast of New Guinea if you control everything around it. *Edit* And even then, you might as well capture it for the points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So I finally got around to giving the sunk ship "database" a bit of an overhaul, filling in missed blanks, putting in more info...

Turns out I gave biosterous a dead ship! :cripes:

So uhhh... if you're reading this, sorry! On the good side, its not like there's a limit to how many times you can claim a ship!

haha oh dang, RIP delicious boat

Is the KV Jasmine alive? That is also tasty.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The Japanese economy is imploding and you need to conquer to feed it (specifically Java, Sumatra, Brunei etc.) You also need to conquer areas to secure shipping routes (The Phillipines, Singapore, Hong Kong) and push the allies away from these areas so they can't level your oilfields with strategic bombers (Burma, Northern Australia.)

You need to do this all at once because you've got a bonus to amphibious landings at the start of the game and you need to get a lot of your conquering done before that runs out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

megane posted:

Isn't there a thing where every Chinese squad that dies gets instantly replaced? Is there a point to beating up the Chinese?

Actually, for that matter, is it really the best strategy to fight on all these dozen of little fronts at once? I mean, obviously that's how it happened historically, but couldn't the player ignore all the dozens of little islands and concentrate all those forces to like, conquer Hawaii or something?

1. Any Chinese land unit that gets completely destroyed gets respawned in Chungking at something like 30% of full strength. They still need to be supplied to be brought back up to strength, and the remaining 70% needs to be rebuilt through the standard industry/replacement system, which means a Japanese player can still overwhelm and conquer China regardless.

2. Hawaii is somewhat of a bad example because there's just open ocean between it and Tokyo*, but if you were attacking any other place, you really do need all the other smaller points on the periphery because you're otherwise opening yourself up to being flanked. As well, all these small atolls and whatnot serve as early-warning stations where you can detect an incoming fleet. The Kido Butai can generally flatten anything that the US throws against it until they get carrier parity in maybe late '43, but you can't react to what you can't see.

* this is actually why it's going to be very difficult to take and hold Hawaii - you need a ton of merchants shuttling supplies and fuel back and forth from Hawaii, and that sealane is going to get interdicted as gently caress by the US Submarine Service. You also have zero land-based aircraft that can strike Hawaii until you take it, which means your only air support is going to be from the KB, and the KB can't be there all the time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The amphib bonus lets you pull off all sorts of amazing attacks. Vancouver Island, Hawaii, the Mersing Gambit (hit Mersing on T1 so that you get a free shot to Singapore early), KB strike on Manilla T1, early Port Morsby, turn 2 hit the oil in the DEI, and so on. You get to have whatever you want, so you better go out and get it. But no specific objective will win you the war. You need a multitude of objectives all over the map to get anywhere near autovictory, and the farther from Japan you can stall the allies the more likely they won't win once the tide turns against you.

It's also possible to win China outright. Chinese containers reappear when destroyed, but their squads still need to be rebuilt using supplies, and the Chinese don't really have any. Even so, a common strategy is to strip heavier elements from China and Manchuria for use elsewhere.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

biosterous posted:

haha oh dang, RIP delicious boat

Is the KV Jasmine alive? That is also tasty.

Should be, changed your claim.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll take the SS Salmon, please.

Mmm. Salmon.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'll take the SS Skipjack. Hopefully she hasn't already gotten exploded.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I love the sign of confidence that most people are taking Allied ships.....

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

I don't know any ships and people had taken all the good Japanese ones straight away so I just googled the only remaining carrier in the game.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Grey Hunter posted:

hey man I took I-8, commit some beautiful warcrimes for me

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly, I just picked Narwhal so I could post Weeblstuff songs on the thread and have them be relevant.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Woodchip posted:

We can both root for the Queen of Torps together :D

Weeeeeeeee!! :D

"The Queen of Torpedos".... hahahaha that sounds so cool I'd better not have a daughter.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Can I claim the Yamato Maru? I can only remember one Japanese ship name, and if I read that spreadsheet right the battleship is already taken.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ZiegeDame posted:

Can I claim the Yamato Maru? I can only remember one Japanese ship name, and if I read that spreadsheet right the battleship is already taken.

There's no such ship in the game, which is weird as it was a real ship... weird.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit, they are reinforcing Port Moresby.

We move from Manado to Ternate – and it looks like the Allies have reoccupied Manado. I thought I'd left a unit there.

Finally! We shatter the British and open the way to Singapore – I want a few days to rest and refit, then we shall march!

I cancelled the targeted sweeps, and the AI sends more planes in on its own. Figures.

I need to recheck these altitudes, they should all be much lower.

We hit another ship off Pearl.

Oh well, time to rest again.

We are still attacking at Amoy.

Finally, Johore Batau is mine! I just need Changsha and Bataan now.
We're apparently now at a Minor victory.

Two more kills.

Lets see how effective this is – I think the low supplies will hurt us a little.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's no such ship in the game, which is weird as it was a real ship... weird.

The real question: is there a Kobayashi Maru in-game?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Drone posted:

A search through combinedfleet.com tells me no. :sigh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well you got ~2/5 of them, lots of combat squads, 67 squads of engineers is quite a lot, as is 93 guns. Will be interesting to see what they still have in Singapore.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty good AP.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what parts of the campaign has grey been doing that are above and bellow the real life japanese's schedule?

As in, has grey beat real life japan at conquering anything and has he failed to achieve a conquest that they made irl?

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Missed another WitP launch and the Kirishima. Once again, Grey, kill the Enterprise, placate Cthulhu, and I would like to claim the BB-67 USS Montana, try and sink that!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Is there any realistic chance that Grey could be able to capture Chungking or wherever it is that the Chinese units respawn?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lakedaimon posted:

Is there any realistic chance that Grey could be able to capture Chungking or wherever it is that the Chinese units respawn?

If he cuts off the supply to it and does well enough in his advance, it is possible. Takes a bit of luck though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lakedaimon posted:

If he can liquidate the whole rest of China so he can concentrate forces to taking it, cut it off from supply and use strategic bombing on its factories to reduce internal supplies, it should be doable.

It'd be a significant commitment, but winning all of China is a good source of auto-victory points from an AI that's too hapless to counter effectively anyway.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Once you're on the Chungking plains and the city's in poor supply it's actually fairly easy. If you get there and it's in ok supply then there's a problem. Getting there is the hard part.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Where is it on the game map compared to where you start?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Are we actually cutting off any supply to China? Burma is still in Allied hands

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dunno-Lars posted:

Where is it on the game map compared to where you start?

It's not that far, it's just that between the Japanese and Chungking there are lots of mountains and no roads.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"just"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's what I'm talking about. Now repeat with more force.

Buna is hit again.

Ternate falls to our forces – with the enemy destroyed, we can pack up and sail to the next destination.

We continue to chip away at Amoy.

A quiet day, with not much to report – the Johore troops have not called on any replacements, so there is little to show there.

Grumio posted:

Are we actually cutting off any supply to China? Burma is still in Allied hands

Not yet. But by the time the men have marched there I hope I will have!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I send a small force to start gobbling up the smaller islands.

The invasion of Celebes continues.

We hit Bataan once more.

We strike another ship just off Pearl.

We still have a few small Chinese forces to clean up.

Another day of fighting at Amoy.

Not much to say today.

Only one ship kill – but the Kido Butai is on its way back now!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
8kt type C1-B. There'll probably be a few more of them before the war is out.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You keep popping ships just outside Pearl Harbour, and yet no one seems inclined to try and stop you. What the hell is the AI doing? :psyduck:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mikl posted:

You keep popping ships just outside Pearl Harbour, and yet no one seems inclined to try and stop you. What the hell is the AI doing? :psyduck:

Small fish in a big ocean

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How sophisticated is the AI in WitP? Does it actually have some level of strategic planning, or is it more just shuffling troops and ships around until it breaks you by force of production numbers?

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Fuligin posted:

How sophisticated is the AI in WitP? Does it actually have some level of strategic planning, or is it more just shuffling troops and ships around until it breaks you by force of production numbers?

The AI is not sophisticated at all. It runs off a series of scripts that are pretty inflexible. For example, if you turn an objective that the AI is scripted to take into a death-trap, instead of increasing the forces required to take it, or simply go around it, the AI will just feed forces into that objective piecemeal. The best way to play the AI as the allies is simply to let it take everything it wants through mid 42 so that it can achieve it's historical gains, and only then begin to fight back. For the Japanese, you don't have to worry about breaking the Allied AI as much, but it still won't "react" in the way we would expect a modern AI would.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I want to say that there are several different scripting "paths" that the AI can take that are randomly assigned when you start a game (ie: sometimes the AI will load a set of scripts that follow historical strategy, some that prioritize different islands/theaters/whatever, etc.).

But yeah, AI scripting in WITP is best exemplified by Grey's Eniwetok meat grinder in the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
How come Grey Hunter hasn't outright won the battle at Amoy? It looks like his adjusted AV is more than twice the Allies the past two days and it doesn't seem like there's any forts in play. Yet, there's nothing about units retreating or being destroyed in that screenshot.