Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks all, like i said, Im fat, something like 240 pounds and 6'2", so I was wondering how 250 would handle me.

The bike Im riding in driving school is a Honda CB650F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol don’t listen to these manlets. being that tall on a bike made for small women is going to be uncomfortable at the very best

get something you’ll actually enjoy riding

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Thanks all, like i said, Im fat, something like 240 pounds and 6'2", so I was wondering how 250 would handle me.

I thought you said you were fat! Get something with a somewhat-adjustable suspension and you will be fine. Chucking that 250 around will teach you what powerband is, and how to keep it there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Patrocclesiastes posted:

You need a dr650.

right arm posted:

Lol don’t listen to these manlets. being that tall on a bike made for small women is going to be uncomfortable at the very best

We know what bike you'd recommend :lol:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

right arm posted:

Are you the right arm they amputated from abunchofnumbers

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

You need a dr650.

this is the sensible & correct answer

Coydog posted:

We know what bike you'd recommend :lol:

:greenangel:

Heath posted:

Are you the right arm they amputated from abunchofnumbers

no :( my only embarrassing tattoo is of my enormous dog :D

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Patrocclesiastes posted:

HI Y'all, still didnt get my motorcycle license. Driving teacher got sick which meant my last driving class was cancelled and so were my driving and handling tests. Then I went to Japan for two weeks and came back and now my classes and tests are scheduled for end of june :( I'm Pretty bummed since its been crazy nice weather here and I was hoping to be driving with my dad when I got back here.

Anyhow, Im back looking at bikes, saw a Ninja 250 for 3000 euros in a reasonable condition, but since im a fatty fat fat Im still somewhat suspicious. I still like how Kawasaki ER-5 looks, but I dont know anyone who has ridden one, so if you have any experiences, I would appreciate them.

Other thing, I fell in love with the Vstrom in Japan, I found a 2008 600cc Vstrom with 42 000km for 5000 euros, is this a bad first bike?

I also bought some touring mapples in Japan, and trying to sell the idea to go bike riding in Japan to my dad, who has done multiple 3000km trips in Europe :v:

A Vstrom is a fine first bike for you, you're in Europe so you've had some actual training, and especially since it was on a bike in a similar displacement/power class. The Vstrom is mild mannered enough. Only thing is with them being relatively tall/heavy, count on dropping it in some silly way. That's what I've noticed when my girlfriend got her license last year (she got a Versys 650): has complete control over the bike, rides safely, but not yet attuned avoiding situations where you might get your bike stuck or drop it like u-turns on oneven/steep surfaces, riding down a sloping dead end you can't turn around in, etc.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I can attest that a vstrom is just the right size for a 250lb. dude who is 6'3".

On the other hand, riding a ninja 250 felt ridiculous and was very awkward. It also was difficult to get it moving in higher gear and it crapped out at 80ish. This generally wasn't an issue, except when trying to pass at highway speeds sometimes.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

To celebrate hitting my 40s I completed my MSF course a few weeks ago and got my endorsement.
Tonight, I just picked up my first motorcycle. A 1994 Ninja 250.
https://i.imgur.com/DIcMM1G.jpg

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nadmonk posted:

To celebrate hitting my 40s I completed my MSF course a few weeks ago and got my endorsement.
Tonight, I just picked up my first motorcycle. A 1994 Ninja 250.
https://i.imgur.com/DIcMM1G.jpg

A good bike

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Really should have gotten something you're not going to get bored with after 3 months

this is a joke. that is the perfect first bike. i have a liter now and i still ride my ex500 all the time

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doing my M1 written next week and signed up for riding course + M2 exam in July. Need to own my own helmet for the course -- is an HJC IS-17 passable or should I be looking at something else?

I've been eyeing CBR250s all week too :ohdear:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Do you have any local shops where you can try out helmets?. I went to one of the local shops and without the assistance, I would most definitely have bought the wrong sized helmet.
Helmet ratings are a bit of a minefield and not all helmets choose to test for both SNELL and ECE, so I mostly referred to the Sharp ratings when shopping around.
The HJC-IS-17 gets good scores, but more importantly, you want a helmet that fits.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=HJC&model=IS-17&type=1

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry, I should have mentioned, the shop I plan to hit up has both so I'll be able to test fit either.

To be clear, I'll also ask them whether I'd choose one over the other, and whether either is a good fit for a beginner -- this is just me doing some recon.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

Really should have gotten something you're not going to get bored with after 3 months

this is a joke. that is the perfect first bike. i have a liter now and i still ride my ex500 all the time

There is a '78 Suzuki GS750 I've been talking to a guy about. I was thinking about picking that up too if he'll part with it for a good price. Maybe start riding that after I get more experience.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keep the little bike to ride even if you do buy the Suzuki.

Also don't buy old bikes unless you actually enjoy wrenching over riding.

tjones
May 13, 2005

nadmonk posted:

There is a '78 Suzuki GS750 I've been talking to a guy about. I was thinking about picking that up too if he'll part with it for a good price. Maybe start riding that after I get more experience.

Just my opinion, but I might consider a younger generation i4 if thats what I wanted and were a newer rider. Those GS's are pushing 70 hp and are no slouch. But they're not the most confidence inspiring bikes and can be a bit hairy considering the weight, frame, suspension, brakes, and tire size. Something with a more modern suspension, better brakes, and wider tires will be much more fun to ride.

Those super fours from that era are basically the muscle cars of bikes.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

tjones posted:

Just my opinion, but I might consider a younger generation i4 if thats what I wanted and were a newer rider. Those GS's are pushing 70 hp and are no slouch. But they're not the most confidence inspiring bikes and can be a bit hairy considering the weight, frame, suspension, brakes, and tire size. Something with a more modern suspension, better brakes, and wider tires will be much more fun to ride.

Those super fours from that era are basically the muscle cars of bikes.

This definitely would not be what I would cut my teeth on, maybe start riding it after a couple of years. Mostly I've been talking to him about it because it doesn't have insane miles, is in decent shape, and he's not asking a lot for it. We'll see though, the seller hasn't been the most responsive and when I first looked at it, the bike wasn't starting.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

nadmonk posted:

This definitely would not be what I would cut my teeth on, maybe start riding it after a couple of years. Mostly I've been talking to him about it because it doesn't have insane miles, is in decent shape, and he's not asking a lot for it. We'll see though, the seller hasn't been the most responsive and when I first looked at it, the bike wasn't starting.

Buy something like that in a couple of years when you intend to actually ride it. This will give you time to figure out what you really want and not be tempted to take it out (if it's running) before you're ready. There will always be more motorcycles for sale.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Patrocclesiastes posted:

HI Y'all, still didnt get my motorcycle license. Driving teacher got sick which meant my last driving class was cancelled and so were my driving and handling tests. Then I went to Japan for two weeks and came back and now my classes and tests are scheduled for end of june :( I'm Pretty bummed since its been crazy nice weather here and I was hoping to be driving with my dad when I got back here.

Anyhow, Im back looking at bikes, saw a Ninja 250 for 3000 euros in a reasonable condition, but since im a fatty fat fat Im still somewhat suspicious. I still like how Kawasaki ER-5 looks, but I dont know anyone who has ridden one, so if you have any experiences, I would appreciate them.

Other thing, I fell in love with the Vstrom in Japan, I found a 2008 600cc Vstrom with 42 000km for 5000 euros, is this a bad first bike?

I also bought some touring mapples in Japan, and trying to sell the idea to go bike riding in Japan to my dad, who has done multiple 3000km trips in Europe :v:

I had that exact bike a year ago! The only heads up I'd give is get yourself a front fork brace for like £40 off ebay or whatever, the front forks on those really need it.

Source: rode a few thousand miles without it and felt the difference immediately, worth the small investment.

Can't really comment on that price though as Idk how Japan is, bought mine with luggage and heated grips, 32k miles for around £3k?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Martytoof posted:

Doing my M1 written next week and signed up for riding course + M2 exam in July. Need to own my own helmet for the course -- is an HJC IS-17 passable or should I be looking at something else?

The first helmet that I got was a $130 HJC similar to that one and I had no problems with it. Heavier and louder than my current $600 Shoei but when you're starting out who cares. Getting a cheap helmet for your first one (as long as it's a full face model and ECE or Snell certified) is fine and just means that the expensive helmet you buy later will feel that much nicer.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'll backup what the others have said.

Buy a cheaper helmet first so if you decide riding isn't for you, or you end up making it a few weekends a season hobby, you're not out too much. You'll want to replace your helmet every five years or so. That HJC isn't a bad choice at all.

The main thing to consider is that the fit is correct. Helmets come in three main shapes, and different sizes of each shape. One helmet model (or even manufacturer in some cases) might not offer a helmet in your head shape. You can spend 800.00 on a top of the line Shoei or Arai and it's gonna be a poo poo choice if it doesn't fit properly.

Try on a lot of different shaped helmets in a store. A properly fitting helmet should be slightly too snug to begin with, without causing hotspots, red marks, or discomfort around your crown after ~30 minutes or so. It shouldn't move independently of your head when pulled, tugged, or twisted. As far as the slightly too snug part, the padding will bed down after a few rides and break in to be just right. Get someone in person to help assist you when trying them on so you know what to specifically look for.

Above all, do some research. DOT doesn't really mean much. You should be looking for at least ECE ratings. Snell is above all the best, but a lot of creature comforts will disqualify helmets from a Snell rating (like a drop down visor). HJC and Scorpion are both good, cheap brands. Stay away from Bilt poo poo.

These links should be a good start:

https://www.motorcyclemanic.com/motorcycle-helmet-fit-know/
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013/04/08/motorcycle-helmet-standards-explained-dot-ece-22-05-snell/
https://www.revzilla.com/ece-2205-motorcycle-helmets

Edit: Forgot to add, the Sharp website is a great resource.

tjones fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 20, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Much thanks for the advice everyone. I did go in to fit a few helmets and I’m glad I did. I was convinced I had to order a medium, but after talking with the guys at the store they fit me with a small CL-17. I’ve been wearing it for the past two hours to make sure I don’t have any pain hotspots and everything seems solid.

I’m pretty psyched to start, now :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nice! It looks like that takes the Pinlock shields too, and I cannot recommend those enough. Fogging gets cut way down.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, they gave me a Pinlock antifog insert. I don’t know if it’s supposed to come with one (I read somewhere that some models do some with inserts) or he was just being super nice but I have a kit I’m pretty happy about right now.

I’ve been creepy mouthbreathing in this thing for two hours now trying to get it to fog up and I’m golden.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Now for topical:

A good friend and coworker got their car totaled (not by them) the past week. They're thinking of streamlining and purchasing 2 wheeled transport and then using a car share (we're in Denver, so this is practical) for when they need to move real cargo. I have been tapped to be The Advisor for this new adventure.

They'd like to start out with a 49cc, and I'm absolutely all about it. They'd like to investigate a bigger bike for higher speed/capacity hauls later but want to start easy. Budget for the scooter is ~2k, 1500 preferred, and later on they're fine with spending up to 5k on a realbike if it comes to that. My questions:

* What scooters should we be looking at? I know to avoid the chinese trash. Ruckus may be on the list, though IDK about in that price bracket. Any others? "Bigger wheels so potholes aren't quite as fatal" was mentioned. Used is ok, as long as it's reliable.
* What gear would a responsible scooter rider have? I'm thinking of recommending a minimum of real full face helmet, and gloves, wearing long pants and sleeves always. Head and hands are the most important imo. How critical do you think boots are on a 49 in city traffic?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I don't know about scooter makes but I'd say over ankle shoes with some sort of support is a must. They're going to have a base instinct to put their foot out at some point to stop from falling over or something and if they aren't wearing something appropriate it's going to be painful. I also enjoy walking though so it might just be me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My MSF course is next weekend and I’m excited. Went to a local gear shop to get ready today and after really getting along with a kid working there I got a really good discount. Got a cool BELL helmet and AlpineStar gloves with the knuckle guards for 220 total. I feel like that’s a decent price.

Stoked!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jonny 290 posted:

Now for topical:

A good friend and coworker got their car totaled (not by them) the past week. They're thinking of streamlining and purchasing 2 wheeled transport and then using a car share (we're in Denver, so this is practical) for when they need to move real cargo. I have been tapped to be The Advisor for this new adventure.

They'd like to start out with a 49cc, and I'm absolutely all about it. They'd like to investigate a bigger bike for higher speed/capacity hauls later but want to start easy. Budget for the scooter is ~2k, 1500 preferred, and later on they're fine with spending up to 5k on a realbike if it comes to that. My questions:

* What scooters should we be looking at? I know to avoid the chinese trash. Ruckus may be on the list, though IDK about in that price bracket. Any others? "Bigger wheels so potholes aren't quite as fatal" was mentioned. Used is ok, as long as it's reliable.
* What gear would a responsible scooter rider have? I'm thinking of recommending a minimum of real full face helmet, and gloves, wearing long pants and sleeves always. Head and hands are the most important imo. How critical do you think boots are on a 49 in city traffic?

A yamaha zuma 125 would be a rad choice, and right in that price range. The zuma 50 is great too, but 125cc affords a lot more usability.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Honda Rebel 500 too much for first bike?

Kawasaki 650 too much for first bike?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No, unless you're very reckless

Yes, unless you're 300lb

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rolo posted:

Kawasaki 650 too much for first bike?

What Sagebrush said.

Which gloves did you get?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
SMX-2 Air Carbon gloves. They fit my hands very well so hopefully they’re decent.

I’m not 300 lbs so I won’t make excuses to get a 650. I’m also not buying anything until I finish the MSF and get a jacket, so I’ve got a month to shop around and see what feels good on my butt. No rush.

I do like the Rebel 500 and the Ninja 400. I didn’t think I’d like a sport looking bike but I sat on a bunch of Ninjas today and it was really nice.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hi!

I was wondering about the viability of those armored mesh jackets vs riding leather for city commuting?

Also I was looking into riding jeans that are reinforced, does anyone have experience they can share?

Sorry I'm painfully new to this poo poo, also I'm driving a dumb gay Elite 150 if that's relevant (god I love it)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rolo posted:

SMX-2 Air Carbon gloves. They fit my hands very well so hopefully they’re decent.

I am sorry to say that these are unsafe (and BWM). They will be ok for MSF, but I hope you would bit ride with them on the street. They don't have any kind of wrist strap and will likely come off in a crash. You should not be able to pull off a properly secured glove with your other hand is the rule of thumb. Generally new gloves under 120 bucks tend to be worthless.

pokie fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Hi!

I was wondering about the viability of those armored mesh jackets vs riding leather for city commuting?

Also I was looking into riding jeans that are reinforced, does anyone have experience they can share?

Sorry I'm painfully new to this poo poo, also I'm driving a dumb gay Elite 150 if that's relevant (god I love it)

Sure mesh jackets are fine. I have crashed in icon and klim jackets. They don't have as much abrasion resistance as leather.
Riding jeans are less fine, but I still wear them. Dainese and Revit offer good ones for example. I like using after market Knox armor in mine. It is quite thick. I have had a substantial crash in Bilt jeans as a noob. Don't get Bilt anything. They shredded.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pokie posted:

I am sorry to say that these are unsafe (and BWM). They will be ok for MSF, but I hope you would bit ride with them on the street. They don't have any kind of wrist strap and will likely come off in a crash. You should not be able to pull off a properly secured glove with your other hand is the rule of thumb. Generally new gloves under 120 bucks tend to be worthless.

I’ll look for something better after the MSF but these do have a Velcro strap around the wrist and I definitely can’t pull it off with it secured.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rolo posted:

I’ll look for something better after the MSF but these do have a Velcro strap around the wrist and I definitely can’t pull it off with it secured.

Oh awesome! The pics/description I found online didn't.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rolo posted:

Sagebrush posted:

No, unless you're very reckless

Just bought a new Rebel 500 as my second bike and can confirm. Very manageable weight/power. Very small frame though so if you are over 6' 2"-ish you may feel pretty scrunched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m 5’11 and 150-something so I don’t think I really have to worry about my height or weight breaking a deal until something gets too heavy.

The bike I fell in love with while walking around was the Kawasaki Z650. I love the aesthetic and how comfortable it feels sitting on it. Considering it’s a little beefy and expensive for numero uno, I’ve been going and sitting on the Z400 ABS and I like it. Lighter and easier to hold up. I also like the lower price, especially if a used one pops up.

While I am still looking at ninjas and rebels, I can’t find a rebel at any local dealers because they sell fast here apparently.