Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The peak of hard men making hard choices themes in Doctor Who is the fourth Doctor questioning if he even has the right to make that choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Doctor Who" is cool and good.

Hmmm yes you might be onto something

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hey what was the origin of the "not in top 10 on Disney+"?

Looking through FlixPatrol it wasn't top 10 in the US on the 10th or 11th but was in either 4th or 5th place for TV shows in the US on the 12th, 13th, and today so far.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

jisforjosh posted:

Looking through FlixPatrol
I also don't think it's competing for viewers with Bluey or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The Simpsons possibly. I'd comfortably call that in the lead for its target audience and among its peers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Simpsons and X-Men are competition. Bluey has a peripheral overlap, to some degree

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bluey, Spidey and His Amazing Friends, and Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse are always going to be in the top three until a toddler show replaces them. It was probably Doc McStuffins for years. It's because even when parents try to limit screentime, toddlers request to watch the same shows, and often the same episodes of those shows, over and over again. I have seen Bluey's "The Sign" so much that I can recite it and know a whole bunch of the Spidey and Mickey Mouse episodes by name, lol.

None of them are competing with Doctor Who.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, when my daughter was real young, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was the ultimate "throw it on to keep her busy so I can do the drat dishes" show. Shows like that are always gonna be high on streaming ratings, and aren't at all competing with Doctor Who.

I'd say Doctor Who beating out X-Men '97 is pretty big, considering all the positive buzz that show's been getting (it's crazy good). The 5th episode went so viral, just the words "Episode Five" were trending for days. Though X-Men came out last Wednesday, and I think most people watch it as soon as it comes out.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 14, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
X-Men '97 feels like a large demographic overlap, probably more than Simpsons.

But it certainly doesn't look like it's failing to hit viewership numbers on its current sugar daddy's scoreboard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

"throw it on to keep her busy so I can do the drat dishes" show.

This should be its own streaming category, lol. "Please just sit still for eight minutes so I can wash out your milk cup," with a theme song by They Might Be Giants.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Why are there only four movies in the top ten movies list?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Why are there only four movies in the top ten movies list?

May have to go over a certain threshold to count? Like, this is an exaggeration, but who cares if a movie that got 50 views is in the top 10?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also the fact that it stuck in the top 10 for a few days is a good sign, it wasn't a one time burst and then it fell off.

Also, Bluey is probably the most popular show on the planet right now?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Bluey is probably the most popular show on the planet right now?

Even if it isn't, it's an enormously profitable property, like insanely so. Like, the money it makes on stuff like toys and branded toothpaste is already a ton, but it had a live stage show that sold out just about everywhere, and a video game that flew off the shelves (despite terrible reviews). Some of this is that parents are exhausted of the absolute dregs of very young kid's programming that's been popular for like a decade. The Paw Patrol style of animation and delivery is most of what's on streaming. The other thing is that it's one of the rare toddler shows that also appeals to older kids and, often, parents. Ludo Studio has an enormous amount of goodwill.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Looking through FlixPatrol it wasn't top 10 in the US on the 10th or 11th but was in either 4th or 5th place for TV shows in the US on the 12th, 13th, and today so far.
Yes, that was the source I was using as well.

I do admit that I did make an error in my claim yesterday. I didn't re-check so I wasn't aware at the time that while it wasn't in the overall Top 10 on the 11th or 12th, it did manage to take the overall 10th spot from Desperate Housewives on the 13th. It has now dropped out of the Top 10 again while still managing to do okay in the bigger non-UK Doctor Who regions (US 4th to 5th, AU/NZ 4th to 6th, Canada 6th to 8th).

https://flixpatrol.com/title/doctor-who/

There's the daily breakdown of how it's ranking per country. So while I was technically correct in my claim, in the key areas that had a pre-established Doctor Who fandom it is nowhere near as dire as I made it sound, especially in the US.

I still don't see this making a huge difference on the UK side of things though, as to make up the difference on the consolidated 4screen ratings, given the past statistics I mentioned, you would likely need about 10 million iPlayer "streams" just to have it equal the last normal Jodie episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bluey on D+ is absolutely a ‘put it on for the kids, and it just autoplays for the next hour’ show. So there’s likely a mountain peak for their viewing numbers and then a more usual business as usual for everything else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

I still don't see this making a huge difference on the UK side of things though, as to make up the difference on the consolidated 4screen ratings, given the past statistics I mentioned, you would likely need about 10 million iPlayer "streams" just to have it equal the last normal Jodie episode.

The United States has almost five times as many people as the UK and I'm going to guess the BBC's concerns in this area are more about whether they can keep expecting the licensing money from the stable, corporate entity, an entity which will likely view #4 in the US slots being fairly successful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Anyway, none of this is spoiler chat

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I wonder if Dracula's gonna show up this season. That'd be pretty neat, given the "Leaning into fiction" poo poo they're doing. Straight-Up Dracula, why not

Warthur
May 2, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wonder if Dracula's gonna show up this season. That'd be pretty neat, given the "Leaning into fiction" poo poo they're doing. Straight-Up Dracula, why not

Dracula AND Frankenstein, picking up Daleks and throwing them around and making them look like chumps.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Invisible Man is also there

(Trust me)

Also haven't done werewolves in a hot minute, much less the traditional kind

What's The Creature From the Black Lagoon up to nowadays?

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

What's The Creature From the Black Lagoon up to nowadays?

Last I heard, he was jamming with Muck, but Drac is trying to get the band back together!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They should redo the First Doctor episode where they face up against a horde of supernatural horrors and it turns out it was just a cheap haunted house.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Anyway, none of this is spoiler chat

Rumors are swirling of a Bluey/Doctor Who cross over event.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Rumors are swirling of a Bluey/Doctor Who cross over event.

When they cross into the Blueyverse, the Doctor appears as a cat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Warthur posted:

Dracula AND Frankenstein, picking up Daleks and throwing them around and making them look like chumps.

The Daleks calling the Doctor for help because of Dracula would be a fantastic episode and I would watch it at least 4 times.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
EXSANGUINATE

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Even if it isn't, it's an enormously profitable property, like insanely so. Like, the money it makes on stuff like toys and branded toothpaste is already a ton, but it had a live stage show that sold out just about everywhere, and a video game that flew off the shelves (despite terrible reviews). Some of this is that parents are exhausted of the absolute dregs of very young kid's programming that's been popular for like a decade. The Paw Patrol style of animation and delivery is most of what's on streaming. The other thing is that it's one of the rare toddler shows that also appeals to older kids and, often, parents. Ludo Studio has an enormous amount of goodwill.

I'd been holding off on Bluey because I know I'll have to rewatch it countless times when my kid is a toddler, and now he's 8 months old I just started watching it.

gently caress me I had high expectations going in based on all the commentary, and it's living up to it.

Anyway, genuine spoiler thread chat news, Moffat has also written this years Christmas episode

Pretty excited for that one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I PREDICT that there is a character named Joy, perhaps Varada Sethu's character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently it’s called ‘Joy to the World’, which I couldn’t see in that article. Or I missed it.

I did love this bit though: :allears:

quote:

Let’s take you back to 2021, when you found out that Russell was returning as Doctor Who’s showrunner…

Steven: It went like this. Sue [Vertue, Steven’s wife, and producer of many of his shows] and I were out for dinner one night. We had a fairly merry time at the local Indian. We came home, and I was a bit p*****, and I looked at my phone, and there was an email from Russell saying, ‘I’m going back to Doctor Who!’ I thought, ‘What?! I don’t know if that’s real. Is that real? I’ll wait and see if it’s still there tomorrow morning.’ I checked in the morning, and it was still there. So, I phoned him up and said, ‘Have you read The Writer’s Tale [Russell’s book about writing the show between 2005 and 2009]? Are you out of your mind?’

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Something about the way that's phrased gives the whole thing the cadence of the Leonard Cohen song.

It goes like this: Sue (she's my wife)
Went out for dinner late one night
The baffled Rusty emailed "Doctor Who, yeah!"
Doctor Who, yeah. Doctor Who, yeah. Doctor Who yeah. Doctor Whooooooooooooo yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hmm, so are we getting Sethu playing this character when she joins full time or is this yet another Jenna Coleman/Clara situation?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Varada Sethu isn't going to be in the Christmas special, it'll be Nicola Coughlan instead as a guest companion.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaz-L posted:

Hmm, so are we getting Sethu playing this character when she joins full time or is this yet another Jenna Coleman/Clara situation?

She's playing this character apparently.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

She's playing this character apparently.

That's kind of cool. It's been awhile since we've had a companion that isn't from present day earth.

I read the ending as her signing up to take care of the kid, but other than that the backstory does a good job of giving her a reason to let go of her life and be a Doctor Who companion. It also seems like she'll be there with Millie.

I actually think "this side character from an episode meets the Doctor again and decides to go with him this time" is a good companion hook.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if that means they'll keep Splice as well

[stares at Kenobi's use of Little Leia, and the Mandalorian's Baby Yoda]

...I mean...it could work? Really depends on how they write her, but...uh...isn't season two basically wrapped up anyway? So whatever we get, we're stuck with - any of the leaks spot Splice on set at any point, even if it's only a few blurry pixels on a phone camera from the next hill over?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Splice joining for a single episode in which she has to be the smartest person in the room at all times and sacrifices herself to blow up the Cybermen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“This is Sunday, and this is Mundy. Me? Oh, I’m definitely Saturday, babes!”

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

“This is Sunday, and this is Mundy. Me? Oh, I’m definitely Saturday, babes!”

lmao

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://x.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1791900485865165056

Wonder if Susan Twist is setting up the Doctor to start seeing the same people everywhere, hence why Varada's getting two roles (they probably also could've done something with Lenny Rush originally being the voice of Baby Eric before recasting him for an actual role)

This first season feels weirdly meta, and I wonder if that's an aftereffect of the Toymaker having fun with reality, and Ruby's going to set things right and S2 will be back to the standard feel (as standard as Rusty can be, at any rate)

Edit: lol

https://x.com/The_Streamr/status/1791625535811879413

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ya sure. ok.