Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

A whole lot of people here judging characters in a fantasy setting with very different cultural and even biological contexts solely through a twenty-first century lens.

Hraesvelgr didn't actually take the events of the start of the Dragonsong War 'better' than Nidhogg. He just spiralled into a depression that lasted for centuries instead of throwing a tantrum that lasted for centuries. The only reason we really think he handled it all 'better' is because he wasn't actively violent, and even then he was still very clearly making Bad Choices through Heavensward, those choices just weren't to directly set fire to things.

And Hien is a pragmatic leader of a country that's just now pulling itself out of Imperial rule and trying to reform a nation that, even before then, wasn't exactly a progressive utopia. Even if he wants to make the choices that we as omniscient viewers from a 21st-century lens think are no-brainers, he can't, because he needs to keep the ship sailing during a period when mutiny or Imperial re-takeover are VERY likely because even though he's currently at least somewhat uncontested, that can change the literal instant he makes a choice that an influential enough fuckwad disagrees with.

Yeah let's not forget that Hraesvelgr may not have bloodied his own hands but when he had the choice to deny his brother vengeance he instead became complicit by surrendering his own eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CYBEReris posted:

Yeah let's not forget that Hraesvelgr may not have bloodied his own hands but when he had the choice to deny his brother vengeance he instead became complicit by surrendering his own eye

I don't think his choice was that easy. He could have denied Nidhogg his vengeance by denying the eye, but Nidhogg would have died. It was more the choice of saving his brother's life at that moment, especially that shortly after the death of his sister. And Nidhogg's revenge was still, I'd say, legitimate at the time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I agree with the take that Yotsuyu is not just some innately evil crazy person but my read of the finale of her story is that remembering who she is and what she did does cause her to snap back to how she was before.

Not because her mind snaps back into place but because she decides, you know what everyone (ie the domans who wanted to kill her) is right, I am irredeemable. My whole life has been nothing but pain and suffering that I have received and given out, and this is just who I am. Her transformation into Tsukuyomi is not a genuine attempt to take back control of Doma, but just suicide by WoL.

The thing is that she has a moment before that where she desperately apologizes. It is only when confronted with her parents that she swaps back to "I'm going to loving murder everyone." It isn't finding out what she did or even people accusing her of what she did that changes her. It's being told she's going to be sold off again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Tsukuyomi fight is rife with theatre metaphor and given what everyone's said about the plot, I think after she kills her parents, she doesn't see a way out of this for herself. So she becomes Tsukuyomi to give a final act to her life, and become even to herself, the monster everyone says she is, so she can be slain for Doma's sins.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's worth noting that even though she reverts back to badguy mode she waits for the prisoners to get out of the boss fight room without attempting to temper or kill them because at that point she is just committing suicide by WoL.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm making a celebratory statue of her anyways because she killed Asahi.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NachtSieger posted:

I'm making a celebratory statue of her anyways because she killed Asahi.

Thereby allowing for the best Ascian to take stage: Even Shittier Asahi.

I'll chip in for that statue.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do wonder what’s happening post-Garlemald. A part of me thinks they’re gonna make the WoL realize we make things worse instead of better in the absence of an Ascian/Zodiark threat, and we take a Final Fantasy Nap while time bakes into the setting to produce a new grand enemy. It seems like everything is being built up such that we’re not needed anymore. We have Fordola as a primal hunter, the Alliance is an anti-Empire force with very little ambitions, the worst problem is just Bigger Primals I guess?

It’s apparent FF14 is going to stick around for a long time, but without Ascians/Zodiark there’s not an apparent counterpart to the Scions. While I’d be way down for just doing cool, disparate adventures I think SE is into fighting existential threats. World War? A new continent? I mean, poo poo, who saw the First coming?

With a time jump we can revisit Primals and have hot new versions of old favorites.

jokes fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 7, 2020

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Once we're done with Garlemald, we still have the prospect of looking into the weird sound that destroyed Amaurot. A timeskip would be cool but changing the world enough so that it feels like time has passed while also not making old content feel strange seems like it'd be difficult.

After the sound though, no clue what they intend on chasing up on. It'd be pretty hard to top Amaurot and the sound though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

Once we're done with Garlemald, we still have the prospect of looking into the weird sound that destroyed Amaurot. A timeskip would be cool but changing the world enough so that it feels like time has passed while also not making old content feel strange seems like it'd be difficult.

After the sound though, no clue what they intend on chasing up on. It'd be pretty hard to top Amaurot and the sound though.

Given Akademia Anyder implied that whatever caused the sound spread to Eorzea from the continent now called the New World I imagine they’ll move onto that plotline when they do the expansion/sequel/whatever covering that continent.

Presumably there’s some sort of plan for Mercydia as well.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

FFXIV already had its cataclysm in ARR and it's unlikely they'll do that again unless it's accompanied by an engine overhaul meant to extend the lifetime of the game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's worth noting that even though she reverts back to badguy mode she waits for the prisoners to get out of the boss fight room without attempting to temper or kill them because at that point she is just committing suicide by WoL.

It's more than she deserved, frankly. At a certain point with your actions, in my opinion, it no longer matters what your intentions were.

I am so drat tired of the "They did all these horrible things for the greater good!" and "It's understandable and forgivable that they did all these horrible things because of the horrible things that happened to them!" tropes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cythereal posted:

It's more than she deserved, frankly. At a certain point with your actions, in my opinion, it no longer matters what your intentions were.

I am so drat tired of the "They did all these horrible things for the greater good!" and "It's understandable and forgivable that they did all these horrible things because of the horrible things that happened to them!" tropes.

No one is saying she should be forgiven or all her actions forgotten, just that they were tragic and you can see the reasons why, its incredibly stupid and reductive to read any of this discussion or the actual text of the game as that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: On second thought this won't go anywhere good, have a cat instead.

https://i.imgur.com/3zZqTnL.mp4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Understandable and forgivable are not the same thing. But it is important because black and white morality is a rarity and because what is justified to one group is horrifying to another. (See the treatment of beast tribes in general.)

Painting her are Just Evil basically ignores the role people had in creating her. She did horrible things because her choice was to do those things or live a life of abuse/be murdered and the world gave her no reason to value the lives of others over her own.

She was not a good person but it turns out abusive cruel societies create bad people who must act that way to survive and who have no loyalty to the idea of countrymen who did little but ignore the abuses as long as it didn't impact them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 7, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yotsuyu is the product of several oppressive systems working in sequence and writing her off as Pure Evil Just Because ignores the roles those systems had and casts her as uniquely evil instead of actually addressing the Doman and colonial structures that turned her into that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think SE did really great toeing the line between making a villain be "morally grey" or whatever that hard decisions poo poo is, and having their reasons/justifications understandable. Even genocide-doers Ascians are understandable. They're not the good guys at all, or even 'fine' but they're understandable. Maybe even relatable if you can really take their perspective. It's regrettable, almost, but there's just no realistic ending for a lot of the villains other than attempting their thing and ultimately be defeated by the avatar of destruction (us).

It says a lot that people try to pigeonhole the complexities of FF14's villains as "pure evil". That's kind of not really a thing, with rare exception. It's mostly just "irredeemable", not "pure evil".

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 7, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fandaniel is looking as close to pure evil as we'll get from what we know so far. he doesn't even have the lofty ideals of the unsundered, he just wants to break stuff because it might be funny

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CYBEReris posted:

fandaniel is looking as close to pure evil as we'll get from what we know so far. he doesn't even have the lofty ideals of the unsundered, he just wants to break stuff because it might be funny

And tbf that might change once we learn what his actual deal is.

I doubt it though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And tbf that might change once we learn what his actual deal is.

I doubt it though.
i feel like he's been very upfront about his deal: he likes having ascian powers but didn't like having a job, and he's glad that his bosses all died and he's able to just gently caress around being an immortal douchebag with dark magic

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cock hero flux posted:

i feel like he's been very upfront about his deal: he likes having ascian powers but didn't like having a job, and he's glad that his bosses all died and he's able to just gently caress around being an immortal douchebag with dark magic

Relatable, really

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sounds morally grey to me

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

By the way I'm hype as gently caress to go on my first adventure with G'raha tomorrow

I swear to God if anything bad happens to him I'm going to loving die in real life

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That would be great. He gets a big arc. 5.3 comes around and he gets a new life and uniform. 5.4 comes around and he gets Haurchefaunted.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Clearly, the correct solution to the dragoon jump problem is to make all their weaponskills jumps with 5 second GCDs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dragoon jump should allow them to leave combat for five minutes to get a burrito

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

By the way I'm hype as gently caress to go on my first adventure with G'raha tomorrow

I swear to God if anything bad happens to him I'm going to loving die in real life

it would be funny as gently caress if g'raha died for real in 5.4

the guy's survived like 3 death scenes at this point already

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CYBEReris posted:

And what a coincidence, he's the only Ascian I genuinely like.

Amazing how much it helps having someone who's enjoying themselves.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That would be great. He gets a big arc. 5.3 comes around and he gets a new life and uniform. 5.4 comes around and he gets Haurchefaunted.

DON'T YOU DARE PUT THIS OUT INTO THE WORLD

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cock hero flux posted:

it would be funny as gently caress if g'raha died for real in 5.4

the guy's survived like 3 death scenes at this point already

I'm blaming you if this happens

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

DON'T YOU DARE PUT THIS OUT INTO THE WORLD

Yeah I’m not ready for any of the cast to die. I can’t see it happening.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah I’m not ready for any of the cast to die. I can’t see it happening.
i am

given that this is the last chapter in the storyline i think it's time for the culling to start, it's time to write the finale in the blood of ancillary characters, hail satan

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So I don't think most of us want to dig into the datamined stuff, but I have been shown something that's fairly non-spoilery and will kill some time: New skill icons! Most of them, it seems, from the BLU spells. Still spoiling in case people don't like datamining.

The ones I can pick out...

-The two BLU spells they've been showcasing are last on the third row (from the crystal guys around the Lochs), and third on the last row (Suzaku's Kick).
-First on the top row looks like a buff from Lakshmi.
-Fourth on the last row is something from Tsukuyomi.
-Second on the third row is definitely rockets from O11.
-I know second on the last row is a boss I recognize, but I'm blanking on what. Might be last boss of the Swallow's Compass?
-I'm guessing first on the last row is from the final boss of the Temple of the Fist.
-Last on the fourth row... I think is something in Omega M/F's kit.
-Fourth row, second icon might be from Famfrit, but that would mean BLUs can get into alliance raids, which I'm pretty sure they can't. If they can, though, then third on the fourth row would most likely be the self-destruct the Red Chocobo pulls in Rabanastre.
-EDIT: A friend's pointed out that first on the third row is Seiryu.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 8, 2020

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Big Emerald Weapon spoiler:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
so diamond is zenos, then

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The P2 theme is called The Black Wolf Stalks Again and it loving rips

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
BLUs absolutely can get into alliance raids if you get the full 24 together in Party Finder. Getting to do all-BLU Ivalice content is gonna be the highlight of 5.45 for what a loving shambles it's bound to be.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spoiler alert:

Giott owns

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Rushing the Void Quests is an unexpected but canny play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Angel Wings can be found in the Gold Saucer if you're looking.