Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I think parents should feed their kids instead of counting on a bad man united winger to do it instead when he could be practicing penalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Just Mings things

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Never bothered about Tyrone Mings prior to this, but now I love him.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

African AIDS cum posted:

I think parents should feed their kids instead of counting on a bad man united winger to do it instead when he could be practicing penalties

In an ideal world yes this would be the solution.

In an also ideal world black footballers wouldn't be abused for missing a kick

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
TBF england has a long and glorious history of threatening to murder white players for momentary gently caress ups too

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

TBF england has a long and glorious history of threatening to murder white players for momentary gently caress ups too

See, equality. Beautiful to see

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/katie_martin_fx/status/1414859322258075653?s=21

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

what the gently caress is wrong with the world

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
shocking really that a country that voted at least 51% to leave europe sheerly out of racism does a racism.

v. sorry if this compares american rules to european ones

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ether Frenzy posted:

shocking really that a country that voted at least 51% to leave europe sheerly out of racism does a racism.

v. sorry if this compares american rules to european ones

You're right, America's never voted for racism top work

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

As it turns out you can do exactly that and suffer no consequences

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1414916497143705605?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Love 2 celebrate our sporting heroes until they call us out for being racist cunts

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

You're right, America's never voted for racism top work

Slavery was an English construct, everyone sensible here is sorry we followed your lead but it wasn't an original idea by any stretch any more than The Office was

Sorry if this goes against the unstated policy of not comparing european racism to american racism

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 13, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ether Frenzy posted:

Slavery was an English construct, everyone sensible here is sorry we followed your lead but it wasn't an original idea by any stretch any more than The Office was

gently caress off. Not because of your opinion. But because no one gives a flying gently caress about US vs UK politics here.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool. I guess the racism against the kids who missed the penalty kicks are being subjected to racism in a vacuum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The players probably said no and they were right to do so.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

The players probably said no and they were right to do so.

Worse, the players probably wanted to talk and not just form a line for the PM to be photographed in front of.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
its sad that the racism and insane hooliganism is deflecting the criticism southgate would be getting for as poorly managed of a major final as you'll ever see. ferguson-level mind games by him really, bravo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EC10 posted:

its sad that the racism and insane hooliganism is deflecting the criticism southgate would be getting for as poorly managed of a major final as you'll ever see. ferguson-level mind games by him really, bravo

Source your quotes.

Then stop posting them.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

CyberPingu posted:

Source your quotes.

Then stop posting them.

oh go on then tell me about the absolutely brilliant management of the game by GS

did you prefer when he didnt bring on sancho or rashford to run at the 40 year old italian defenders who played 120 minutes three days prior, or when he picked the 19 year old arsenal wingback for the 5th penalty?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Southgate did fine.

If anything, his pk lineup could have been fantastic but it was simply bad luck. Pickford had an outstanding performance. Southgate did the right thing by setting himself up to take all the blame and his plan is working as intended. Italy won because they got lucky in PKs.

I'd criticize Southgate for not being more aggressive in the second half but hey I'm just a goon on dead forum.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EC10 posted:

oh go on then tell me about the absolutely brilliant management of the game by GS

did you prefer when he didnt bring on sancho or rashford to run at the 40 year old italian defenders who played 120 minutes three days prior, or when he picked the 19 year old arsenal wingback for the 5th penalty?

He could have brought on subs earlier but then again that tactic of delaying subs worked against Denmark.

I'd say his biggest mistake was leaving Kane on

Saka asked to take a penalty so :shrug:

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not going to make the effort to do it but if you look at high pressure shootouts of the past I bet you'll find a whole lot of 19 year olds in there

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

As the old saying goes, "if you're good enough you're old enough".

Admittedly Barry Bennell made this more problematic

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yes, the 34 and 36 year olds who play pretty much entire games are just old men and easy to counter - not extremely skilled defensive pairs who can shut down the worlds best. They are barely old. Ronaldo himself is 36 and is tops.

Do you dismiss Tom Brady who is 43? Or Jaomir Jagr who was around 46 playing in the NHL and doing well?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

half cocaine posted:

Southgate did fine.

If anything, his pk lineup could have been fantastic but it was simply bad luck. Pickford had an outstanding performance. Southgate did the right thing by setting himself up to take all the blame and his plan is working as intended. Italy won because they got lucky in PKs.

I'd criticize Southgate for not being more aggressive in the second half but hey I'm just a goon on dead forum.

England was fortunate it got to a shootout. Not going to actually check, but pretty sure I read Kane didn't have a touch in italy's box lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Yes, the 34 and 36 year olds who play pretty much entire games are just old men and easy to counter - not extremely skilled defensive pairs who can shut down the worlds best. They are barely old. Ronaldo himself is 36 and is tops.

Do you dismiss Tom Brady who is 43? Or Jaomir Jagr who was around 46 playing in the NHL and doing well?

Your point was plenty good without the NFL/NHL trash

sourdough posted:

England was fortunate it got to a shootout. Not going to actually check, but pretty sure I read Kane didn't have a touch in italy's box lol

The plan was for Kane to make space for Sterling/Mount and get Trips/Shaw 1v1 with the full backs but Bonucci and Chiellini didn't fall for it, clearly learning from their mistake against Spain. I don't know if Calvert Lewin would have fared any better, I very much doubt an unfit Rashford would've.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

sourdough posted:

He didn't, that's correct.

Pretty clear that England planned on sitting on a 1-0 lead for 87 minutes. There were incredibly long stretches where England were pinned so far into their own half, and any time they'd get the ball they'd just hoof it up to Italy's back line or just kick it out into touch, zero intention of actually trying to retain possession or attempting a counter.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
What if Tom Brady played basketball

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
e: wrong fuckin thread

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I've got a neutron star take: GS gave those kids a chance to be the Kings of England. GS also knew they were young enough that if they failed, he could credibly take the blame and they would recover to be Heroes another day.

GS is good you morons.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Here is a zag: he played ultra defensive against a very beatable italian squad and blew the best chance england will ever have at a trophy. With Bielsa in charge England wins 6-0 and Mancini effigies are hanging upside down from a lamppost

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

African AIDS cum posted:

very beatable italian squad

(citation needed)

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Ah yes the eminently beatable team unbeaten in like 34 games

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Ah yes the eminently beatable team unbeaten in like 34 games

Ah yes that historic UEFA Nations League campaign, 9000 friendlies vs Moldova, , drawing with Bosnia, barely beating Austria in the knockouts, ill be bouncing my grandkids on my knee telling them about this team, definitely need 2 redundant CDMs against these monsters

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I can't believe that noted world class striker Harry Kane couldn't even score against against a bunch of old geriatric Italians.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I can't believe that noted world class striker Harry Kane couldn't even score against against a bunch of old geriatric Italians.

Vardy would have scored a couple. I hope Kane swapped shirts with Immobile cause he certainly was

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/pgr_analytics/status/1414872113106886658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

does he get a trophy for that

:smith: