Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The Western Pass

Last time, Precipitate cleaned up the mountain base on the Barzite side of the Barzite - Taker border. She also found the Barzites' volatile holding cells.

Game Text posted:

You are at the lower end of a long pass, leading higher up into the pass. Tall, snowy spires of lifeless rock tower over you to either side. This pass is the only way up for miles around.

You are at the entrance to Taker lands. The Takers hate your kind. It is likely that your welcome will be a cold one. If they don't attack on sight.

Yet, despite the open warfare in this part of the mountains, you see no guards on patrol. You wonder what sort of defenses await you.

Both sides, with their low numbers, rely heavily on automatic defenses, be they pylons or mines or angry ghosts left behind ages ago... You're not looking forward to experiencing more Taker mechanisms or phantoms.

Game Text posted:

This stone obelisk was erected very recently.

It has a symbol carved in its side. It is a head of a drayk, with a pair of swords crossed below it.

You're not sure you like the idea of drayks copying the works of whatever civilization lived here before.

Game Text posted:

There is a stone circle ahead. The stones are smooth and clean. They have not been here for long.

Inside the circle, you see a small shaping platform and a ring of runes. There are several devices made of crystal surrounding the circle.

The ground is pretty torn up. There has been fighting here recently.

You suspect that, when you get close to the crystals, they will do something. You aren't sure if your mechanics skill will be adequate to prevent it. Maybe.

Lucky for you, these crystal triggers aren't as sophisticated as the detonators on the Barzite side of the border.

Whoever tried to assault this position wasn't as lucky -- or as skilled -- as you. Body parts and equipment lay scattered in the dust.

After destroying another crystal, you find a door set into faded pink stone walls set into the brownish sandstone cliff. Intrigued, you try to open it, but you aren't carrying enough living tools. A pity.

Perhaps these triggers activate the runed Shaping platforms all over this area. Whatever is lying in wait must be truly troublesome if the Takers didn't want it patrolling the area.

The crystals around the third platform are much trickier to manage than the last two platforms. It's certainly an economical way of handling traps.

You manage to break into this door and find a long, winding hallway. To your surprise, the pink stone is natural, not cunning masonry or slabs.

You scavenge materials as your creations take a welcome break by the essence pools.

After clearing the fourth platform, you follow the road west. Once again, you find another drayk-marked obelisk. Perhaps it's just a territorial claim.

Carrying on east, you find your first taste of real trouble in a while. An unexpected pylon zaps Tehan and inflatablefish, stunning both.

Somehow your artila manage to stun the pylon without their heavy supports while you concentrating on healing and blessing your team.

Your glaahks rally and charge the pylon, covering you as you heal PharohMan777.

With the first pylon down, you direct inflatablefish to lead the assault on the next. While inflatablefish successfully stuns it, this proves a critical error on your part...

The pylon was within range of even more pylons.

"Goodbye..."

When the fateful pylon is nearly down, Tehan moves in for the kill and your ranged creations switch targets.

You take out the next pylon...

...and get away for a breather by still another drayk pylon.

Back in the pylon field is a rather ill-placed sign. "Zhass-Uss - Northeast. Benerii-Uss - North. Rising - South."

Reeking water laps at the barren banks here. Your creations retreat from it despite their thirst.

Just because you've disposed of some pylons doesn't mean the pass is safe, of course.

The tenacious spinecore was blocking another passage eastward. Interesting. Was it planted there, or is this mere coincidence? Have the Takers given up on an actual presence here beyond their tricks and traps?

You check a nearby door; it opens readily under your attentions.

Game Text posted:

You cover your mouth with your hand to keep from gagging. You have to step outside for a moment for fresh air. The smell in here is rank. The reek of rotten flesh and death hangs heavy in the air.

You attempt to enter again. You have a little more luck this time. Shapers are used to bad odors. Their sense of smell tends to die quickly, burnt out by experiments and nasty chemicals.

You look around. This looks like it was once a stopping point for merchant caravans. Junk is everywhere, and the ground is heavily rutted. However, it has been abandoned.

Since then, something nasty has moved in. You can hear it (or them) gurgling and growling farther in.

You already know what this is... Someone let out a rotghroth here. It doesn't matter if the Takers did it or the Barzites. Either way, it's not a fight you can afford to pick right now.

A quick look at our skills right now... and now I have to play the game again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell yeah, cool to see this still going

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Nice. Welcome back! Judging by the world map you can't be too far off finishing this one.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I figured I should make a triumphant return with a double update, hahaha!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I figured I should make a triumphant return with a double update, hahaha!

Pleased to see you back, POOL

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell, whatever works best for you. i can totally understand getting burned out on a thing, so take whatever time you need.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm so excited that these are back! The Geneforge series are still my favourite CRPGs on any medium (Shadowrun: Dragonfall is a close second), and it's really cool to see you do them such justice!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This game has interesting concepts, but looks visually and mechanically uninteresting, so you have my absolute gratitude for playing through to show us the good parts and to suffer through the bad parts. You take as much time as you need.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! This game is going again! Also yeesh. What is it with those pylons?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
We are starting to hit the next difficulty jump in the game, and our lack of options wrt creations and offense will pinch us for a little while until Precipitate accesses new techniques.

The next few areas the LP will hit aren't super great examples of this to be honest, but they're not total pushovers either.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Glad to see you back. I'm sure we can't be too far off from wiping the vile traitors and murderers from the land with superior Shaper know-how and righteousness!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell yeah, cool to see this still going

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm glad to see this return!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I regret that I have but one life to give to my Shaper! Still, if it means the LP is back it can't be all bad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Welcome back.

So how many zones have you got to backtrack to find a genuinely friendly face, now?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

This game has interesting concepts, but looks visually and mechanically uninteresting, so you have my absolute gratitude for playing through to show us the good parts and to suffer through the bad parts. You take as much time as you need.

The monster creation mechanics are the most interesting part for sure. In the end, there's not a whole lot that sets it apart mechanically from just building a dungeon delving party in any other RPG. More could definitely be done with the intelligence/loyalty/morale bit.

Despite the plain graphics, I do think there's a lot of thoughtful environmental storytelling within the limits of what is possible with the engine and the assets. That said, yeah, I'm not going to praise that any further.

An example of a maybe less obvious visual problem... Every area leaves me with frustrating little moments where I realize that the action in the screenshots is totally obscured by, among other things, an utter lack of contrast between mobs and environments. Anyone with a color vision deficiency is probably going to have a hard time with this old game. Sometimes poo poo just isn't clearly visible and I don't think that's a deliberate decision.

inflatablefish posted:

I regret that I have but one life to give to my Shaper! Still, if it means the LP is back it can't be all bad.

:rip:

Glazius posted:

Welcome back.

So how many zones have you got to backtrack to find a genuinely friendly face, now?

We've got the true Shapers camped out near the Mountain Base and the lady holed up in the Research Hall. There are a few isolated friendlies here and there, but out in Taker territory, Precipitate's on her own. The line between the Barzites and Takers is particularly unfriendly as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As I understand it, friendly territory is just a click away anytime you're on the world map, right? So while in-universe Precipitate may be constantly retreading the valley, sometimes multiple times in the process of clearing a single zone, in gameplay terms it's rather more streamlined.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That's correct! I assumed the question was posed uh, in-universe.

As long as the areas are green, we can cross them (which is why I try to note when we've satisfied the safety conditions).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Pit of Misfits

Last time, Precipitate cleared much of the Western Pass, leaving only a few locked doors behind her.

A brief interlude to introduce you to our newest glaahk, Synthbuttrange...

Game Text posted:

It looks like you are in the entry chamber of a band of particularly successful (and bloodthirsty) bandits.

Their loot is scattered everywhere, and the skulls of their fallen foes (servile, human, and creation) are stacked in the shadowy corners of the cave.

The tracks on the floor are from a hodgepodge of different species. Some marks are from reptilian claws. Others from serviles. And some tracks are definitely from battle alphas. It's quite a mix.

Your senses tell you that the tracks don't mislead you. There are lots of creations in the tunnels ahead.

There is a servile here, cheerfully scavenging through the stolen booty. The creature is rather alarming-looking. It's emaciated to the point of near starvation, and its hands and face are covered with tattoos.

It looks up at you and smiles. Its teeth are rotting. "Ah, Shaper. I am Frem. How interesting. I'd be careful moving in here if I were you. Everyone will hate you. Including me."

Well, at least this servile is straightforward. "It's dangerous to go further in, then?" you ask.

Frem nods vigorously. "If you do, you'll step on the runes. That's the alarm. And The Eye will make everyone attack you. Even me. I'd have no choice. It's just good sense, you know. So you should stay out here, if you want to be safe."

You didn't expect this cavern to be safe, but The Eye catches your attention. It can't be another...? "What is The Eye?"

"Melancon Eye rules here. He masters us. And he makes us safe. He took us misfits in."

"Can I get safe passage through here?" Maybe you can solve this with diplomacy instead of stabbing and burning at least temporarily.

"Oh, I don't think The Eye trusts Shapers. And even if he would trust you, when he hears the alarm, he'll call for the attack right away anyway," Frem replies.

"Why don't you go talk to The Eye? Tell him I want to pass through."

You attempt to convince the servile to help you. You aren't strong enough. "I better not. I'll just stay here and see what you do."

"Alright... Tell me about this place, then." You've got time. Not an endless amount, but enough to deal with a half-mad servile living in a hole.

"Mighty Melancon Eye rules here. He is mighty. He can control us. He seized us and keeps us safe. We who were cast out."

The rebels have a lot to answer for with this creation. "You were cast out?"

"We all were here. For being flawed creations, or rogues, or fled away. He collects us and takes our minds and makes us safe. All here. All waiting and serving. And when we need to, we go to Taker lands and take things we need." So the bandits are preyed on by other bandits. Fitting. "The Takers do not like us. And Melancon Eye hates them."

"Why were you cast out?"

"I and my cult were sent out. The Takers did not like us. We were too hard to control. So we were thrown out."

Frem should count himself lucky, but you don't say so. "Why does Melancon Eye hate the Takers?"

"I don't know." Frem grins at you. Despite his lack of food, he doesn't seem the slightest bit weak. He doesn't tremble in the slightest.

"What are those symbols on your face?" They're hideous.

"All of us who peer into the altar and focus and develop our souls have these symbols. They burn and they help us focus," he says. "There are several of us here, cast out by the Takers." Mad cultists bode ill. They can't be allowed to infest this place any more than an eyebeast can.

"You have magical powers?"

"We all do. We empty our minds and focus until there is nothing left. Then the power grows. It was the only way we knew how to learn magic. That was how you Shapers made us."

Serviles are persistent. The amount of dedication needed to drive oneself utterly mad in search of magic is no small thing. The Awakened were lucky to have sponsors among the rebel Shapers... "Where are the rest of you?"

"We all live in the tunnels at the south end. But stay away. All of us but me hate your kind. They will attack you, no matter what." He shrugs. "I don't hate your kind. In the end, we will destroy all of you. But, to me, it is nothing personal."

"I... see. Well, tell The Eye I want to make a deal with him," you say, forcing the brunt of your powers of suggestion behind the words.

You attempt to convince the servile to help you. Fortunately, you are very convincing. "All right. Just quickly. I will tell The Eye you are here."

Frem leaves for a few minutes. Then he returns. "The Eye has heard of you. The Eye does not trust you. But you will be allowed to pass through and speak with him. He thinks you can be useful. You may enter. But do anything wrong, and you are killed."

This area is now safe and can be freely crossed.

"And... one moment," you say. "What is The Eye?"

"A floating creature with many eyes. Very strong! And I don't just say that because he forces me to."

You gingerly cross the rune, but nothing obvious happens. Perhaps the invitation Melancon has extended is genuine.

Game Text posted:

The massive creature stares down at you blankly. You ask it a few questions, but it doesn't respond.

It's odd. These things are usually pretty dumb, but this one seems like its brain is completely blank. It's as if something is suppressing its thoughts.

Game Text posted:

Some serviles have erected a shrine here. There is a small altar in the center, surrounded by braziers burning stolen incense. There are rugs around the edge of the shrine, where serviles can sit, concentrate on the shrine, and meditate.

The rugs are very worn. The serviles have been meditating a lot. You have heard that extreme mental concentration can be used to develop magical powers when no training is available. You wonder if that is what this band is trying to do.

They're clearly the serviles Frem warned you about, because they waste no time attacking. Their javelins and spells miss, but the worrisome thing is that they have spells at all.

There are too many magical serviles out here.

Even one is too many. These seem to have learned the shield blessing, but it avails them little against Synthbuttrange.

You startle yourself by managing to finish off one of the cultists with one of your wispy fireballs. Battle magic isn't really your strength, after all.

Raised forces and the beats of many feet from the west catch your ear.

One bears a fine ring and a brilliant sword; he proves to be a shockingly skilled opponent, holding back Tehan and Synthbuttrange.

But his fellows fall regardless...

The cultist desperately lunges at PharohMan777, judging the artila the weakest foe within range.

And then he follows the other serviles into death.

But those serviles aren't the end of this little cult.

These are.

Like the rest of the caverns so far, the servile cultists' warren is full of ill-gotten loot. It's curiously light on food, though... Either they're not very smart raiders, or Melancon doesn't prioritize feeding its thralls.

Among the things left behind, you retrieve the Shaped sword the cultists' leader wielded. The enchantment it bore was useless to the servile, but it will surely serve you. They'd also locked up a few pieces of fine armor. If the serviles had used it, they might have been more of a threat to you. You're glad of their foolishness.

The Leader's Sword weighs 6 lbs, deals 3 - 24 damage, reduces Dexterity by 1, but increases creations' Strength and Dexterity by 2. Nice! We'll be hanging on to this for a while to come.

On your way out, you check the cult's altar. It doesn't look enchanted in any way. It's just here as a focal point for the serviles' long hours of concentration.

An odd pang of disappointment sneaks up on you. Were you really hoping to fight something even more wicked here?

Game Text posted:

When you get close to it, the drayk looks at you with loathing. It bares its teeth and seems to be about to snarl. Then it stops.

It blinks a few times. Then it wanders off, as if it's forgotten about you. It's a clear case of someone exercising strong control on it, and at a distance at that. Impressive, considering how headstrong drayks are.

Game Text posted:

You walk up to the servile. It is very thin, and it has strange symbols tattooed on its face. When you get close, it stops moving. It becomes completely still.

Only its eyes move. It stares up at you. You can see that it loathes you, but something is stopping it from moving an inch. It's very strange. You back away. When you've withdrawn a safe distance, the servile starts moving again.

Why didn't Melancon control the servile cultists you fought? Or maybe it couldn't... they were further west than the drayks and these serviles, and they were many besides. You don't know how you can use this information, but you note it anyway.

This murky water must serve as these rogues' cistern.

Even the battle beta doesn't respond to you.

This surprisingly bare room has only one resident: a floating orb with many, many eyes. It is clearly a creation, but not one made anywhere but in these mountains.

It has been waiting for you. It makes a low humming noise for a few moments. Then it says, "I am The Eye. Melancon. I let you come before me so I can see you. And see if you are suitable."

"What is this place?" Melancon seems calmer than the last eyebeast you encountered, but you're not about to feel comfortable around it.

"This is my lair. It is where I bring my collection. It is where I stay safe." You're not sure if it's paranoid or rightfully worried for its safety.

"What do you collect?" you ask.

"Creations. Weak ones, cast off ones. In the wilds, I find them. I seize them with my mind. I bring them here to be safe and guided."

Clearly these things have an even further refined level of mental control than their base templates, the vlish. The other eyebeast also had unspeakably strong compulsive ability. If you have to battle it for control of your own creations, you're not sure what the outcome would be. "You can do that? You can control creations?"

"Yes. I was as surprised as you to find that. I thought only humans and sometimes serviles could do that. Many can make creations now. But few can control them." It blinks in a complicated sequence. "But I focused with my eyes, and I saw, and I took them over. I am good at it. The eyes could control many more before they strain." All of Melancon's eyes focus on you. It waits to see what else you have to say.

"What are you trying to stay safe from?"

"The Takers." It's your turn to blink. "They will destroy us if they can. And the Shapers. And everyone else."

Perhaps a bit paranoid, then. "Where'd you come from?"

"I came from foul Zhass-Uss, where the foul Takers made me. They make my kind. Very few of us, for we are difficult to create. And then I was cast out."

"Why?" you ask, though you suspect it's simply because Melancon was far too difficult to control. The Takers may value the liberty of creations... but only some of them.

"Well, I was not actually cast out. They were going to destroy me. The eyes were too strong. They saw too clearly. They saw a path for me the Takers would not let me follow." This time Melancon blinks a different pattern. "So I left, and now I and my collection get my revenge. And I will get more revenge before all is done."

"What do you think I am suitable for?" Or perhaps more precisely, what role in its revenge does Melancon wish you to play?

"You are a Shaper. So you must hate the foolish Takers. And my eyes see the foulness of the Takers, so we have common interest." You suspect the order of the blinks is a meaningless distraction. "Zhass-Uss is led by Syros. He is an old, stupid drayk. I despise him. I have treasure, taken from the Takers. It means little to me. If you kill Syros, it is yours."

"Why do you hate Syros in particular?"

"He made me."

Huh.

"I don't know if I want to do that." For Melancon's sake, at least.

It has no patience for your ways. "Then go. I have no more use for you."

"Fine." You straighten. "I will kill Syros." And probably Melancon. And maybe not in that order.

"Yes. Good. Good. Zhass-Uss is north of here. You may exit safely. The eyes will see him dead! This has been sworn." The eyes bob excitedly for a moment before Melancon gets itself back under control.

Granting vlish a megalomaniacal ego is just another idiotic bit of malfeasance to add to the rebels' pile of crimes.

Past Melancon's chamber is another little room. There is a servile sitting in this small cave. He seems strangely detached from what is going on. He just stares at the floor. He doesn't look like he's being controlled. He just looks depressed.

Despite his confusion, he looks like he could be dangerous. He is very strong, and he has a baton hanging at his belt.

He looks up at you. "Ah. A Shaper. Fine. I am Heust Blade." Then he looks back at the ground.

"What are you doing here?"

"I am an assistant to Melancon Eye. He can't control me. Or he won't. I don't know. He brought me here to help guard him."

"And do you guard him?" you ask.

"I try. Some days, I can't move. I need directions, but I don't have them. It makes me feel... feel lost." This is actually not a surprise. Most properly made creations feel lost and hopeless without a Shaper to guide them.

"Why don't you think Melancon controls you?" Maybe Heust Blade was made by the Barzites. Then again, he has more personality than you've come to expect from their creations.

"I don't know. Maybe he doesn't know how to control my design. Or maybe the way I am amuses him." Heust Blade stares down silently.

"What's wrong, then?"

He looks up at you. Even though he doesn't seem to be loyal to your kind, trusting a Shaper seems like it is a relief to him. "I don't know. I want to fight your kind. I want to help the serviles be free." He shakes his head. "But, when I am told to do something, it doesn't seem right." This is very interesting. It's as if this servile ended up with an innate need to be controlled by a Shaper.

"Why don't you travel with me? I can command you." A competent warrior could be a great boon. You haven't had much luck with traveling companions -- or other Shapers' creations -- yet, but maybe Heust Blade will change that.

"I have heard of you. I've heard what you believe. You are just. You fight your kind. I will fight with you." For the first time, he smiles. He grabs his baton and stands to join you.

Just what kind of stories are circulating about you, anyway?

Before you go, you allow Heust to pick up some of his belongings. He offers you a book with the title "Paths of Fire" inscribed on the cover. It's another copy of the book Dayna asked you to retrieve. It must have been stolen from Medab or the Barzites...

Heust Blade's stats are pictured above. He's of middling use, given his unfortunate fragility and inability to be directly controlled.

Another path from Melancon's chamber leads to a bridge guarded by two blank-faced battle betas.

Game Text posted:

The floor here glows red hot. If you proceed, it will hurt you. It looks like the floors get hotter faster the farther north you go.

It takes some sort of magic to do this. There is no obvious source here. Something (or someone) must be concentrating on maintaining these traps.

You aren't in a hurry to grill your feet again. This will wait until you've decided what to do about Melancon.

The eastern edge of the caverns is guarded by more drayks and another glowing sigil on the rough floor. Melancon is much more accomplished with magic than you're really comfortable admitting to yourself.

Game Text posted:

Bits of trash and bone litter the floor. That, plus the horrible reek in the stale air of this tunnel, tells you that you're heading toward the trash pits.

As you proceed, the smell gets far worse. It's hideous, bad enough to make you think there's something back here besides garbage.

You don't want to stumble into another rotghroth. You leave the battle alpha to its mindless shamble.

Back north is another narrow passage cut into the cavern wall...

There is a drakon hiding at the rear of this cavern. It doesn't look well.

It looks like its creation went wrong somehow. Its head is dented, and its skin is cracked and oozing. It's in great pain.

That a creature of this complexity turned out wrong is not surprising. What is strange is that it was allowed to live and escape. It's now miserable and half mad.

When it sees you, it waves you back. "Shaper! No! Out! I will kill you! I cannot fight... fight... fight it! Go!" It can barely maintain its self-control. In this state, it's very dangerous.

You push forward anyway and it screams. You try to ask it where it's from, but the drakon attacks.

Somehow I lost the dialogue here... it wasn't very informative though so I'm not backtracking for this run. One thing to note: if you force attack the drakon after the warning dialogue, the rest of the area will become hostile. If you allow it to turn hostile, though, no one cares if you kill the drakon.

Tehan and Synthbuttrange coordinate their strikes so ably that the drakon is unable to counter. Without them, you'd never be able to destroy this poor, mad creation -- your searing artilas are simply too slow to hit it with spit, and even your cryoa is struggling.

The drakon ends as it must, dissolving into wasted essence. Whoever Shaped this creature and didn't immediately put an end to its suffering is monstrous.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Vogel's 2018 GDC talk was uploaded to YT yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxVBJem3Rs

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It strikes me that the "making creatures that can themselves Shape other creatures" conflict bears some similarities to handwringing over what might happen if humanity starts building strong AIs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It strikes me that the "making creatures that can themselves Shape other creatures" conflict bears some similarities to handwringing over what might happen if humanity starts building strong AIs.

Not too surprising, since this was originally a scifi RPG concept that got reskinned with fantasy elements, right? Though Vogel's vision here is way less Culture and more, I don't know, Terminator isn't really appropriate but it's the only thing that springs to mind right now...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's definitely a strong idea in the games of things quickly spiraling out of control without proper guidance, of which the shapers themselves are woefully unequipped to provide at times, and the idea of them being the ultimate last word on all of this is kind of challenged frequently in the sense of 'who actually has the right to be doing any of this, if anyone at all?'

it's a pretty unique way of looking at it all even if the individual details of the overarching stories aren't inherently super unique on their own

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heck yeah I get to stab things with my butt

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Good to see this is going again....

I look forward to the day that I am shaped for the party and die in the name of our glorious Shaper Overlords :downs:

I also got a job, thanks for the encouragement in the Spidergames thread earlier.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mauman posted:

Good to see this is going again....

I look forward to the day that I am shaped for the party and die in the name of our glorious Shaper Overlords :downs:

I also got a job, thanks for the encouragement in the Spidergames thread earlier.

That's wonderful, congratulations! I hope it's a position you wanted, or a solid stepping stone along the path.

Next update probably won't be until next week. I've got a tight article deadline and an interview for a board position of all things. Screenshots all processed though so it's just down to the writing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Huh, I don't think I ever even entered this location during my Geneforge 2 playthrough.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Hell yes it's back!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As someone who played Geneforge 2 as their first ever Spiderweb Software game, and has beta-tested many since, I say to you: keep up the EXCELLENT work!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm still catching up and have been reading author-only, so this may be repitious, but everyone in the loyalist fort was named after The Wire characters :3:

Seems a bit fitting for their role in the story as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a town in Exile 3 where all the characters are named after Babylon 5 characters. And I'm pretty sure that Exile 2 has ones from a sitcom. Vogel is not shy about stealing material.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Blades of Exile has a town with Stan, Cartman, and Kenny. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of others, too. Once you start looking for it, you see it everywhere.

I suspect it might be a nod to that town in one of the Ultima games where everybody's named after the TNG crew.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
When ya gotta name a lot of side characters, you get a little desperate! Thanks for pointing out the references. :D

e: whoa! the thread is gold! Thank you :shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 26, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

There's a town in Exile 3 where all the characters are named after Babylon 5 characters.

Golddale. I used the B5 portraits for that town, just to drive the point home with no subtlety at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

And it explains the "new types" out there, too. It's not Shaper imagination at work making these, it's a different kind of mind entirely.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Whybird posted:

Blades of Exile has a town with Stan, Cartman, and Kenny. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of others, too. Once you start looking for it, you see it everywhere.

I suspect it might be a nod to that town in one of the Ultima games where everybody's named after the TNG crew.

They're not named after them, just really REALLY obvious references to them. :v:

And yes, good thread and I look forward to the next update. :cheers:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Agh I don’t want to let this fall into archives. THERE WILL BE CHANGES

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
We don't want to see it go either! The first LP was an amazing piece of work and this one has been fantastic too, it would be really awesome to get more!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Agh I don’t want to let this fall into archives. THERE WILL BE CHANGES

POOL, I'm going to propose a radical idea as, while expecting anyone to do the entire Quintet is asking for the moon, I would really like at least this game to reach a conclusion. I don't know why you've stopped updating; it could be due to burnout, it could be due to personal obstacles, but in either case it's not my business. However, I have a suggestion that I've seen work before. You're an excellent storyteller and a tough act to follow, but have you thought about handing the LP off to someone else? There is a very good LP of Vampire - Bloodlines on the archives that was taken over mid-playthrough and successfully finished by someone else, and I thought that that might be a way to salvage it. The original LPer simply sent his saves to someone who was following the thread, and the second person picked up where the first left off. It can be a bit jarring to see a change in narrative style in the same adventure, but I wanted to put it out there because I've seen it work and I'm sure that all of us want to see things through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I’d rather not, but thank you for the suggestion! Just been busy on my end.