Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
I thought I was over signature models. I thought wrong:

I used to own one of the original Ibanez JPM's back in the day and have been kinda missing it lately. This thing more than compensates for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I am profoundly jealous of that. Back before I went to Berklee my parents were nice enough to cover a nice guitar so I wasn't using a Squier Strat with Floyd knockoff, and I had a choice between an Ibanez S1520fb Prestige and a JP6. Being the dummy that I am I went with the Ibanez because of the bubinga top. Every time I see a JP I cringe. The Ibanez was $900, the JP was $1200. There's no way in hell I could get a brand new JP6 for that price anymore, and the S1520s are around for $500 or so.

At least it's the 1520 with the original Edge trem - they seem to be a little more desirable.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
To be honest it wasn't love at first sight - I didn't initially "connect" with the guitar the same way I did with my Brian Moore seven, for example. The previous owner had blocked the trem and the strings had seen better days - could have been the factory set on a year+ old instrument which had apparently seen quite a lot of home use (cosmetically it's in mint condition, mind you) - so the guitar felt and sounded a bit dead to me. The neck felt extremely comfortable though and after exploring some of the less obvious tonal options I was convinced enough to pay the man, and I'm glad I did - the guitar truly came to life a string change and a quick setup later. The hype surrounding the JP models is definitely deserved but considering the price point for these things, even secondhand, I'm probably going to have to put any impulse purchases on hold for a while.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I traded about 100€ and my old mixer for one three times its size..

Pre-lawsuit Behringer MX8000, a blatant ripoff of Mackie's 24/8. There's no oompf to the sound, no colouring, the EQ isn't like that of old A&H or StudioMaster tables, and it is nothing like the broadcasting mixer I went through, it is simply the cleanest best mixer Behringer ever made - I was happy to find out after testing:
- Turn everything up the highest you can, with nothing connected, top the faders
- Nothing can be heard, no buzz, no fuzz, not a single hint of anything even being active
- Turn a couple of inputs and the main mix down, turn on a beat
= There's music.

There's no warmth or feel whatsoever in this mixer though, that is the one negative thing about it.

Other Behringer mixers I cannot recommend unless you're starting out or need a quick little mixer for podcasting or whatevs.

e: and I was like a minute away from buying a used Yamaha RBX260 from a Hagströms store

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 30, 2012

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I bought one of those new Squier Jazzmasters too:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Other Behringer mixers I cannot recommend unless you're starting out or need a quick little mixer for podcasting or whatevs.

That's a thing that's bugging me---I've got a recording project I'm working on and my mixer is pretty substandard, it's a crapass tiny Behringer 4-in, stereo out. I'd get a bigger mixer, if I had any idea what was decent but cheap, but also if I had the cash to drop on more microphones. I need so many goddamn microphones.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FancyMike posted:

I bought one of those new Squier Jazzmasters too:

Wait. What? Whyyy... is there a tele neck? Is that tape over things or did you MSpaint them out?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Damnit, someone bought the blem Xaviere 560 that I was saving up for. I really don't want to pay full price seeing as its an extra 60%. Hurry up and put a tiny scratch in one, Xaviere factory dudes

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Allen Wren posted:

I need so many goddamn microphones.

Cascade has sales on their awesome stuff fairly often, jump on their mailing list. They've got an active/passive ribbon coming that looks very tempting. Spirit folios are quiet and cheap, no bells and whistles though. Build quality isn't amazing, but some clean gain for the money.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Warcabbit posted:

Wait. What? Whyyy... is there a tele neck? Is that tape over things or did you MSpaint them out?

Looks like a baritone neck.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-guitars/introducing-the-jazzmaster-baritone/1650/page1/

Kind of looks like this guitar, actually, but what's wrong with the pickups and switches, then?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It's a baritone neck. I took the neck pickup and three way switch out so there is tape covering the holes.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Who owns more guitars than chords he knows? This guy.

Since my Jaguar was way too nice to use as my on-the-road/hotel guitar and I shipped it home a month or so ago, I was looking for something cheap with single coils and a trem. I am a triple failure. Godin 5th Avenue; made by crazy French dudes in Quebec.

It must have been sitting a while as it needed a string change really bad. That's when I found out that the bridge isn't fixed to the body. It's nice to be able to intonate an acoustic guitar. It sucks that it takes two hours to do when you have no clue.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Startyde posted:

Cascade has sales on their awesome stuff fairly often, jump on their mailing list. They've got an active/passive ribbon coming that looks very tempting. Spirit folios are quiet and cheap, no bells and whistles though. Build quality isn't amazing, but some clean gain for the money.

That's uh.

Um.

Kinda holy poo poo whoa way the gently caress out of my price range.

My GOOD mic is a Shure BG 4.0, that...uh, I think I ended up with when my college radio station was cleaning out a closet? My other mic is a Radio Shack 33-3043.

Yeah, this is kinda a ghetto operation, I'm aware.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Allen Wren posted:

Kinda holy poo poo whoa way the gently caress out of my price range.

My GOOD mic is a Shure BG 4.0, that...uh, I think I ended up with when my college radio station was cleaning out a closet? My other mic is a Radio Shack 33-3043.

Yeah, this is kinda a ghetto operation, I'm aware.

See if you can locate Behringer XM8500. $20 to $30, it sounds like the Shure SM58 it looks like a clone of and also sounds 95% like it. Do not bother with any other clones.

If you get super lucky you can find a Sennheiser MD-431 (or 531 BlackFire) for below $60 and that's it, it won't get any better for a handheld dynamic below $100.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

RetardedRobots posted:

That's when I found out that the bridge isn't fixed to the body. It's nice to be able to intonate an acoustic guitar. It sucks that it takes two hours to do when you have no clue.
Well, it's a little late now, but yeah, don't change all the strings at once on an archtop.

Also, for a classic archtop sound, throw some phosphor bronze 13s (14s are okay, too) on there and raise the action nice and high. And play with a thick pick!

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 2, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got one of those bar things and an elbow support wrap and poo poo shipping in overnight from Amazon because I really severely injured my right elbow a week ago (like, trip to the ER because my arm wouldn't work and it felt like magma was shooting down my forearm regardless of how I held it, with severe swelling of the afflicted nerve) and now have acute tennis elbow pain. Everyone who uses the brace and that bar pretty much unanimously agree they're incredible at providing relief, so hopefully with some continued NSAID intake and those tools I'll be okay soon.

:smith:

Edit: Removed a bunch of stupid ranting, I need to quit freaking out about this and just... hope for the best. It should be okay. I hope. Right now I can't play guitar and considering how much of my professional life involves that, let alone my recreation (switched from drums to guitar when I destroyed my back in 2006), just really freaked out and anxious as all hell right now. This is a recoverable injury, it's just got me totally rattled. Sorry anyone who had to see the dumb E/N crap that used to be here, I just... Well, with my back being degenerative and just getting worse and worse, it's very frightening to think that I could lose the other things I can do, too, the other outlets of creativity that I switched to initially because I had to do something but which has now become integral to my career. I don't want to become even further disabled. That's a scary thought. Sorry for the bummer post.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 2, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Edit: Removed a bunch of stupid ranting, I need to quit freaking out about this and just... hope for the best. It should be okay. I hope. Right now I can't play guitar and considering how much of my professional life involves that, let alone my recreation (switched from drums to guitar when I destroyed my back in 2006), just really freaked out and anxious as all hell right now. This is a recoverable injury, it's just got me totally rattled. Sorry anyone who had to see the dumb E/N crap that used to be here, I just... Well, with my back being degenerative and just getting worse and worse, it's very frightening to think that I could lose the other things I can do, too, the other outlets of creativity that I switched to initially because I had to do something but which has now become integral to my career. I don't want to become even further disabled. That's a scary thought. Sorry for the bummer post.

All is good man. You wouldn't have to justify those fears to anybody here.

But dont stress. It'll all be good and you'll be out-playing me ('cos you're a prick) again in no time :)

(PS: Riggins here doesn't seem to stress about it, so you shouldn't either
http://i.imgur.com/bG8KP.jpg)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hammer Floyd posted:

All is good man. You wouldn't have to justify those fears to anybody here.

But dont stress. It'll all be good and you'll be out-playing me ('cos you're a prick) again in no time :)

(PS: Riggins here doesn't seem to stress about it, so you shouldn't either
http://i.imgur.com/bG8KP.jpg)

Haha, thanks for the kind words, man. And the cute puppy. The literature that I was able to find regarding the eccentric exercise bar is unanimously positive, and same for the brace - so I've got two things, apart from just a shitload of pain meds, that will help me get over it and if it flares up again, put it back down. Repetitive stress injuries are a job hazard for any of us, I guess, who spend a lot of time both behind a keyboard and with guitar in hand. It just shocked the poo poo out of me (though I imagine the real shocker's going to be the ER bill... uggggh), had a few days of annoyance like I'd slept on it wrong and then I accidentally hyperextended my right elbow and that night it went from "this is obnoxious but tolerable and seems to be getting better" to "holy loving poo poo my arm is on FIRE aaaagggh :supaburn: :qq:" with my wife loading up our baby so we could take me to the ER at 5 in the morning.

All the ergonomic stuff in the world doesn't save you from injury, I guess. If the gear I've got coming to aid in recovery lives up to the clinical findings, I'll probably be posting a very relieved suggestion that all the musicians here pick up the bar thing to do preventative strengthening exercises since we're double risk with computer usage + instruments. I really hope it will work, I don't see why it shouldn't, it worked so well in the first clinical trial that they were ethically required to stop the trial because the discrepancy between the control group and the folks using the rubber eccentric exercise bar was so profound (sufficient data for causal establishment already plus tremendous improvement per person in the test group) that it would have been unethical to continue depriving the control group of what is, for all intents and purposes, a cure for their condition. That's a powerful statement of its efficacy, and consumer reviews are universally positive as well - the only gripes are when people accidentally get the wrong bar, since they come in different tensions in terms of how many pounds it takes to flex them.

Wish me luck, amigos :) And be careful, this really sucks and I don't want anyone else having trouble like this either.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Don't worry Agreed, you'll be back to beating off in no time :madmax:

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Finally got around to setting up and working with my custom 8 and it's awesome as heckkkkk. Since it's custom, I went all crazy on the specs. Looks like an RG, configured like a Tele. Three pups, Telecaster model in bridge, two knobs each, fancy top, etc etc. Surprisingly enough, split coil on the neck gets me ridiculously close to the tone on some beloved Kaki King songs.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/MLsxO
Sounds: http://soundcloud.com/zero-sum/giants-at-the-precipice-of-the

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

I waited til i got the ehx cathedral reverb before i took some (crap cameraphone) pics of my gear.

my guitars:

pedals:

I got the Squier jazz mainly as a backup for my Jaguar but it's so good I'll be using it just as much as the jag.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chalupa Joe posted:

A Swedish chainsaw!

I caved in and won one of these on eBay yesterday. :buddy:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Gay Crib Baby Dino posted:

I waited til i got the ehx cathedral reverb before i took some (crap cameraphone) pics of my gear.

my guitars:

pedals:

I got the Squier jazz mainly as a backup for my Jaguar but it's so good I'll be using it just as much as the jag.

I've been thinking of selling my HH jag. It was an xmas gift from my folks, but unfortunately my hands are too large for me to comfortably play a short scale anymore, and I've been eyeing the Jazzmaster Squier. If it's as good as the Jaguar basses they've been making I'll be seriously impressed.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd gen.

Now to just figure out how to use it.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Gay Crib Baby Dino posted:

my guitars:

Are those GFS Dream 90's in the hollowbody? I have a dream 90 waiting to go in the neck of a Sheraton, how do you like the way it sounds? Also you have basically my dream guitar collection. Only need a jag HH and a jazzmaster and I'll be there!

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

Thorpe posted:

Are those GFS Dream 90's in the hollowbody? I have a dream 90 waiting to go in the neck of a Sheraton, how do you like the way it sounds? Also you have basically my dream guitar collection. Only need a jag HH and a jazzmaster and I'll be there!

The hollowbody is an Epiphone Valensi Riviera with stock Gibson p-94's. Of all my guitars it's the one i like playing most as a clean sounding rhythm guitar, I use the rest in different tunings and play them through pedals (shoegaze/post rock kinda stuff).
My own dream guitar collection would be Sonic Youths but until i win the lotto I'm more than happy with my own :rock:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thorpe posted:

I went with Mean 90's in my semi-hollow Ibanez AM73, and I've been really happy with them. They're very trebley and clean, and pretty much sound great no matter what you do with them. There's a picture a few pages back, along with a warning not to attempt a total rewire of a semi-hollow guitar.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The Leck posted:

I went with Mean 90's in my semi-hollow Ibanez AM73, and I've been really happy with them. They're very trebley and clean, and pretty much sound great no matter what you do with them. There's a picture a few pages back, along with a warning not to attempt a total rewire of a semi-hollow guitar.

I went with the Dream 90 in the neck and a Seth Lover in the bridge. I missed your warning and am in the middle of completely rewiring a semi-hollow guitar, although I've ran into a snag in that the old pot knuts seem to have fused to the pots themselves. The pots spin freely, and using a screwdriver in the top of the pot to try and get it to stay so I can loosen the nut resulted in the pot shafts now being able to make a full 360 degree turn. I'm bad at this.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thorpe posted:

I went with the Dream 90 in the neck and a Seth Lover in the bridge. I missed your warning and am in the middle of completely rewiring a semi-hollow guitar, although I've ran into a snag in that the old pot knuts seem to have fused to the pots themselves. The pots spin freely, and using a screwdriver in the top of the pot to try and get it to stay so I can loosen the nut resulted in the pot shafts now being able to make a full 360 degree turn. I'm bad at this.
I would strongly advise you to get something like this if you don't already have a tool to reach in and push the pots up when they inevitably fall through the top and make you cry. Apart from that, it really helped me to make a cardboard template for the top of my guitar with the new pots pushed through it, so I could do all the wiring and make sure there was enough/not too much slack. The Sheraton might be a little easier to work on than mine was too, since it's a bit bigger. Good luck!

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Just got this today, good god it does everything I want and more.
Definitely worth the 150$

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Xii posted:

Just got this today, good god it does everything I want and more.
Definitely worth the 150$

Roland Minesweeper?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Roland lights out.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Underflow posted:

Roland Minesweeper?

Thorpe posted:

Roland lights out.

Hahaha. :rolleyes:
Actually its a controller called Novation Launchpad, it does pretty much what an Akai APC does without the knobs (plus a few more things an APC cant do very well).
Really easy to sketch out beats, live sets and sequencing with this baby.

Heres a video just showing off the User 1 mode using it as an instrument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vC5TsSyNjU&feature=relmfu

Xii fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 10, 2012

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Xii posted:

Hahaha. :rolleyes:
Actually its a controller called Novation Launchpad, it does pretty much what an Akai APC does without the knobs (plus a few more things an APC cant do very well).
Really easy to sketch out beats, live sets and sequencing with this baby.

Heres a video just showing off the User 1 mode using it as an instrument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vC5TsSyNjU&feature=relmfu

drat, that looks pretty good actually.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The Leck posted:

I would strongly advise you to get something like this if you don't already have a tool to reach in and push the pots up when they inevitably fall through the top and make you cry. Apart from that, it really helped me to make a cardboard template for the top of my guitar with the new pots pushed through it, so I could do all the wiring and make sure there was enough/not too much slack. The Sheraton might be a little easier to work on than mine was too, since it's a bit bigger. Good luck!

I ended up picking up a pair of those locking clamps, as well as a pair that bent around 45 degrees. You have no idea how much that helped me, it allowed me to grab the original pots from the inside and unscrew them! That's what's been holding me up on this guitar. If you want any sort of upgrade or anything, I owe you big time.

The F-hole on these guitars are actually so small I have to file out a small part of the binding to fit full size CTS pots through. I ended up getting a pre-made harness for this guitar from Mojo Music just because I wanted something that was top notch quality considering how much its going to get jostled around when trying to install it.

I'm going to try and get everything back together today so it can go off to a setup guy!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Got back home last night to find my baby was back from the shop. I got a new GFS Mean 90 in the neck and a coilsplit GFS Loudmouth bucker in the bridge. This guitar has officially gone from sexy-girl-next-door to out-of-my-league supermodel. I only had a little time to play her last night, but my immediate impression was that this might be it. It might be the perfect guitar for me.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Manky posted:

Got back home last night to find my baby was back from the shop. I got a new GFS Mean 90 in the neck and a coilsplit GFS Loudmouth bucker in the bridge. This guitar has officially gone from sexy-girl-next-door to out-of-my-league supermodel. I only had a little time to play her last night, but my immediate impression was that this might be it. It might be the perfect guitar for me.

Is that an Agile or a real Les Paul, without seeing the headstock I honestly can't tell the difference, except that maybe the top is too nice to be a Gibson.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

HollisBrown posted:

Is that an Agile or a real Les Paul, without seeing the headstock I honestly can't tell the difference, except that maybe the top is too nice to be a Gibson.

Thanks! She is purty, an AL-3000 b-stock I got for $250. Just think about that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Not to mention fret markers that nice would only come on a $3000+ Les Paul. I woud totally spring for one of those Agiles if I hadn't been issued a moratorium on guitar purchasing by the wife.