Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Popete posted:

Here are some pictures of the leak as the engine is running, it seems to be coming out of the large hose on top as well as the small black connector to the engine block.

Coolant leak? No biggie. It's cold outside anyway.

Oh, and try to get to a mechanic rather soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ynotony posted:

Hopefully the new M2/M1 will be under $60k because I've got my eye on that.

What I want to see is how the M235i/M Performance Auto-tier cars are going to slot into all of this. Are they just gonna be rebadged 135i/235i/335i/etc or will there be a tangible difference to them aside from the little tricolor emblem?

Also price- the current Euro-only M135i prices in at roughly around the high end of $40k-50k. That's how much the 1M coupe cost, so the upcoming M2 had better justify a higher price if it's going to have one. Not that $47k is exactly cheap, mind you. My dream of dreams would be to see the M235i come in closer to $40k or lower (maybe with x-drive as a more expensive option, like a lot of the press is saying)- you know, something to give WRX STI fans a bit of a jolt.

Frankly, I think I might be more excited about the MPA cars than the new "true" M's. A Bimmer that's cheaper and a bit softer (and easier to live with and daily drive) than an M, but with gobs of power and enough insanity to carve a smile on your face with a hot knife when you want it? I think there's a reason why the M135i was Top Gear's sports car of the year, purists and "poser M" haters be damned.

Justice101
Aug 25, 2010

rscott posted:

So uh I was driving home from work and as I slow down to get off the highway I start hearing this rhythmic squeaking/rubbing sound coming from the rear. I pull into the closest parking lot and look around the car and I find this thing wedged in my right rear wheel, in between the brake rotor and the wheel itself:

WTF is it and why is my car randomly dropping parts off of it :ohdear:

I would suspect that as being part of your dust shield for the rear brake system. I cannot see how anything else could get in between the rotor and the wheel. If you take the rear wheel off, or even check from the other side (where the axle attaches to the trailing arm) you could find out for sure either way. Although the battery try is the number one spot for rust on an e30. A combination of the sunroof drain, improper battery maintenance, near the rear wheels, etc.

Justice101
Aug 25, 2010

Popete posted:

Here are some pictures of the leak as the engine is running, it seems to be coming out of the large hose on top as well as the small black connector to the engine block.

Its difficult to tell from the pictures, but depending on the age of the hoses (common for them to rupture on e30s) it could just be a small tear or crack in the hose. Its also important to replace the hose immediately if this is the case. I have seen them explode before, and you will have a few more issues to resolve if that occurs. Could you take a picture from further back?

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What I want to see is how the M235i/M Performance Auto-tier cars are going to slot into all of this. Are they just gonna be rebadged 135i/235i/335i/etc or will there be a tangible difference to them aside from the little tricolor emblem?

I think we're going from 335is to M335i, 135is to M135i, etc. So 10% more power, slightly better cooling, body kit, DCT, but most importantly: badges. Maybe a little lower but no LSD or EDC or crazy engine upgrades. Personally I'm looking forward to the rumored 4 door 2-series coupe. Might finally lure me out of my ZHP.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Anyone have any advice/opinions on aftermarket stereo head units that look decent in an e46? Mine has a few pixels out on the display and I don't know of a way to fix it other than get a new unit. I don't care much for paying $150-200 for a used replacement on eBay not to mention its not that great of a unit anyhow.

I'd almost consider doing a conversion to a double din just to get something that isn't poo poo up with chrome knobs and obnoxious color led's

Kenwood has some nice single din units at a good price but gently caress all they are ugly.

E: And yes I've looked at dynavin which everyone on the bimmer forums has a boner for but those things are $700+ and that loving stupid to pay for a stereo. Even if it does look oem.

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=896677

E46Fan post about a Dynavin clone that seems to be built in the same factory for 1/3 of the price.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Justice101 posted:

I would suspect that as being part of your dust shield for the rear brake system. I cannot see how anything else could get in between the rotor and the wheel. If you take the rear wheel off, or even check from the other side (where the axle attaches to the trailing arm) you could find out for sure either way. Although the battery try is the number one spot for rust on an e30. A combination of the sunroof drain, improper battery maintenance, near the rear wheels, etc.

I checked the dust shield yesterday and it was intact. It's kind of hard for me to describe and I can't figure out a way to get a good picture of it because its in such a hard to get to area since my car is so drat low to the ground but above the right rear wheel well, near where the strut tower terminates is like a trough of some sort that has some thick gauge cables running through it. It appears to me that part of the cover that goes over this area fell off because the part that is closer to the rear of the car is still intact.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SeñorMisterioso posted:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=896677

E46Fan post about a Dynavin clone that seems to be built in the same factory for 1/3 of the price.

Even better news, I found this at the end of that thread about a newer version that runs 4.04. If you don't know anything about Android its that you should run away from anything pre version 4. Pretty decent specs, too:
code:
1)Double Din GPS Car DVD Player with 7" Touch Screen Monitor
2)800*480 resolution
3)Steering Wheel Controls
4)Built-in Bluetooth for mobile hands-free and audio playback.
5)Built in IPOD function
6)4X50W maximum power output from built-in amp
7)Compatible with DVD,DVD-R,DVD-RW,HDVD,DVCD,MP3,MP4,CD-R,CD-RW,VCD,DIVX,WMA and so on.
8)Built in analog TV tuner (DVB-T and ISDB-T are optional)
9)AV output/input,AUX. 
10)GPS function,built in gps module.
11)Radio receiving: FM/AM can be stored 32 stations. RDS is available .
12)USB/SD card port: support MP4,DIVX,JPEG,MP3 and WMA playback
13)Car reverse camera input (switches automatically)
14)Multi-Language Options
Here's the specs for the Android side:

CPU: TCC8925 1.2Ghz Dual Core
RAM: 1G DDR2 RAM
Internal Storage: 4GB Internal FLASH
External Storage: Up to 32GB microSD
1 USB Port (Host Mode Only)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967737

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

That thread posted:

How much does it cost?
With the Radio, Wifi Dongle, Reverse Camera, and Shipping, plus a 5% Paypal Fee they want $630. 3G dongles are $30. They are willing to negotiate some.

nice, but back to nearly $700.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

I checked the dust shield yesterday and it was intact. It's kind of hard for me to describe and I can't figure out a way to get a good picture of it because its in such a hard to get to area since my car is so drat low to the ground but above the right rear wheel well, near where the strut tower terminates is like a trough of some sort that has some thick gauge cables running through it. It appears to me that part of the cover that goes over this area fell off because the part that is closer to the rear of the car is still intact.

I know there is a cover on the passenger side rear wheel, but that metal bracket thingy you posted does not look like it. The cover in the wheelwell is roughly S shaped.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The part that fell off is only roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire cover.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3582669028.html

Stock, except for all the mods.

Also was repainted.

I have a bad feeling about this.

I know this car from seeing it, the seller is a few miles away from me, going to see it tomorrow.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

televiper posted:

nice, but back to nearly $700.

Yeah I'm just lookin for something simple with the functionality I was (iPod) to replace my bad unit that doesn't look like it belongs in a dance club.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 6, 2013

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

So i'm driving 2 hours this sunday to go buy an e34 540i that supposedly runs but has a bad transmission for $400 as a parts car for my 530i.

Even though this is pretty sane and i can easily break even or make money on this car, i can't help but feel that this is the very first stage of automotive insanity. :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

FIRST TIME posted:

So i'm driving 2 hours this sunday to go buy an e34 540i that supposedly runs but has a bad transmission for $400 as a parts car for my 530i.

Even though this is pretty sane and i can easily break even or make money on this car, i can't help but feel that this is the very first stage of automotive insanity. :v:

Break even? The first priority should be the M60B40 swap. Worry about making money later :P

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Crustashio posted:

Break even? The first priority should be the M60B40 swap. Worry about making money later :P

I would if my 530i wasn't my only car and my DD. Remember that I'm only in the very early stages of AI!

Can still always do it later though. :getin:

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Popete posted:

I can't see clearly where the leak is in those pictures from but anything it could be in that whole area is easy to get to & fix & replace cheaply in a day and a good chance to replace all the other old hoses and plastic bits you've probably got, in my case it was this guy who sits down under the lower intake breaking off at that little top piece

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Insurance company just lowballed the poo poo out of my E30 for total loss: $2300

Did any E30's come with tilt/telescopic wheels and/or power seats? The appraisal company is INSISTING that a 1990 has both, and I've NEVER heard of either.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
There is no tilt or telescopic wheel on an E30. I don't think power seats either, as I have a 1990 325is that had a lot of options, and still manual.

Also, my insurance company tried to lowball the heck out of my E30 when it struck a deer. Keep fighting.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

There is no tilt or telescopic wheel on an E30. I don't think power seats either, as I have a 1990 325is that had a lot of options, and still manual.

Also, my insurance company tried to lowball the heck out of my E30 when it struck a deer. Keep fighting.

That's what I figured. I knew it would be a hard fight, but I wasn't expecting less than 50%!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Beach Bum posted:

That's what I figured. I knew it would be a hard fight, but I wasn't expecting less than 50%!

Some times it helps to have receipts of what has been done to the car as well. It worked for me in the past.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's the problem with old cars that have turned into enthusiast markets. Book value on things like an E30 is laughably low compared to real world prices for good condition cars. I was always a little worried about ever having to fight that fight when I had my Miata. Book value was like 3k, but I sold it for double that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Find comparable finished auctions on eBay and any other place you can think of. I hope you have service records.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Craigslist too. The whole point of insurance is to make sure you're whole. If they valued the car incorrectly when they sold you insurance, that's their fault. Worst case if they don't budge, you could tell them that you're going to file a complaint with the state insurance commissioner (they hate this).

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just in case someone hadn't seen it yet: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

My new BMW 320d:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

That's a pretty cool tool.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think I posted this before but I can look up VIN's at work so if you are looking at used cars and want some info let me know

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can you look up info on recalls that have/have not been performed?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

revmoo posted:

Can you look up info on recalls that have/have not been performed?

It will show if the car has any open recalls out.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

That's a pretty cool tool.

You have 0 power? :ohdear:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nodoze posted:

It will show if the car has any open recalls out.

fe06087 if you need the rest I have to actually check,

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So the local shop gave me their take on the 'helicopter over 45' sound that my E36 325is has been making.

It's not anything with the bearings or the brakes. My front tires are just completely worn and unbalanced because the control arms and bushings are in dire need of replacement. Also, my valve head gasket and flex disk need replacement but those are unrelated to the noise.

In total (before the cost of new tires), the guy's quoting me $1200+ for parts and labor + an oil change. Does that sound fair? I understand that necessities are necessities and that this comes with the territory of owning a car with 170,000 miles on it. I'm just not exactly comfortable with popping more than a third of what I paid for the car into a repair like this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Edit: dumb

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Does 1200 for two control arms and an oil change sound good? No not really. It's not a utter ripoff but I would shop that a bit further. I would buy four tires ($250 tirerack), get them locally mounted and balanced ($60) and then see how it feels. If you want to refresh the front you have control arms, bearings, struts, sway bar endlinks and not that much else. All those parts are pretty simple to replace and have relatively specific failure symptoms. Your issues are probably bearing/tire/wheel related if the car isn't totally hosed. My money is on tires.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

revmoo posted:

fe06087 if you need the rest I have to actually check,

No that works, what were you looking for? It has no open campaigns and the history shows several being done

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Chinatown posted:

You have 0 power? :ohdear:

Sure feels like it sometimes

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

revmoo posted:

Does 1200 for two control arms and an oil change sound good? No not really.

I took it to mean control arms, oil change, wheel bearings, valve cover gasket, and guibo, in which case that's pretty alright for parts and labor if you really don't want to bother with it yourself.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And if they're gonna do the guibo the hard way (actually removing the exhaust) the labour for that is probably an extra hour to drop the stupid exhaust/heatshields/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
I saw an 8 Series coupe in the wild for the first time ever today. I wish I could have snapped a pick of it, the thing looked like it had just rolled off the assembly line.

E: Anybody want to loan me fourteen grand?

oddspelling fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 9, 2013