Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Looks like that's what I'm aiming for then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
What's a good reference book for scales/modes/arpeggios? I've seen mixed reviews of the guitar grimoire scales book. Heard good stuff about the Mel Bay ones.

I really want something in a hard copy to refer to/force myself to drill with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The guitar grimoire is honestly the best reference book I've ever owned. It's pure meat and potatoes.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The guitar grimoire is honestly the best reference book I've ever owned. It's pure meat and potatoes.

Ok rad - I saw some folks saying it was incredibly stupid, something about the notation system being pretty obscure, or it making things needlessly complicated. Not exactly gonna break the bank so probably worth a shot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Guitar Grimoire is pretty good as a reference after you've learned a little theory, but not so good for just teaching yourself if you know absolutely nothing unless you're really dedicated.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

E-Money posted:

Ok rad - I saw some folks saying it was incredibly stupid, something about the notation system being pretty obscure, or it making things needlessly complicated. Not exactly gonna break the bank so probably worth a shot.

p sure that's just music theory in general

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

E-Money posted:

There is a DVD series that goes with some of the books. If you can find that it does an even better job explaining all the notation. If you have no problem understanding it then it's packed with raw info.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
this may seem braindead and stupid but why do you never hear of any bands tuning the E string up a step instead of down? (instead of drop D do a raise F#?) seems like it could be fun and get some neat chords doing it?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Overlap with the a string becomes a thing as you tune the e string higher. String tension increases instead of decreases. Going down gives a a bit more bass instead of the treble which you should have covered with all the other strings.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

But do it anyway because its fun to experiment and like you said can make for different possibilities.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
tuning up is not true and no true is unwelcome

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Smash it Smash hit posted:

this may seem braindead and stupid but why do you never hear of any bands tuning the E string up a step instead of down? (instead of drop D do a raise F#?) seems like it could be fun and get some neat chords doing it?

Drop tuning gives you access to a lot of expanded intervals: suspended sixths and ninths become really easy. Tuning up would actually make that harder.

There's no reason you can't, I quite like open G with the bottom E tuned up to a G instead of a low D, but generally it's not that useful. I think I remember Tinariwen using that technique a lot , tune the sixth string to the key of the song as a drone and then play the melody over the top.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

tuning up is not true and no true is unwelcome

Vektor tunes to F and they're alright.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Stravinsky posted:

Overlap with the a string becomes a thing as you tune the e string higher. String tension increases instead of decreases. Going down gives a a bit more bass instead of the treble which you should have covered with all the other strings.

this makes a lot of sense! there is just one real cool chord I can do with it and was looking for drawbacks and I got them! thanks dudes

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

this makes a lot of sense! there is just one real cool chord I can do with it and was looking for drawbacks and I got them! thanks dudes

Go with what you like, it's all good. Make something up if it sounds cool, music is supposed to be fun and relaxing. If you are tuning up, you may want to go lighter gauge strings, heavier ones tend to get weird sounding at higher tensions. That might be what you're looking for in a sound though! Play with it, but watch out for snapping strings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

There's Nashville tuning but it's the same chord shapes.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

comes along bort posted:

There's Nashville tuning but it's the same chord shapes.

yeah I was thinking about maybe doing a Nashville tuning when I record and over dub some parts with it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I would give my left testicle for some sort of hipshot sytsem on my 12 sting that allowed me to flip between C Standard, drop Bb and Open C.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

what
WHAT ok i take it back vektor is true

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

HollisBrown posted:

I would give my left testicle for some sort of hipshot sytsem on my 12 sting that allowed me to flip between C Standard, drop Bb and Open C.

Well, not quite that quick, but I sent Agreed something that could do that.

Or you could switch to banjo tuners for one interval set.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Thinking about upgrading the pickups on my epi les paul to something like the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set. It looks like i have options for multiple switching sets - it's not much more to pick up a set of push-pull pots. If I was going to pick between a coil split, series/parallel, and phase, which would you, the internet, go for? The stock pups are so muddy and gross.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

I wonder if they do this to use lighter gauge strings to then play faster? The only explanation I've heard is so people can't learn their songs.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

Well, not quite that quick, but I sent Agreed something that could do that.

Or you could switch to banjo tuners for one interval set.

HollisBrown posted:

Not sure if the Digitech Drop works well for that but it's nice to play B and C with standard tension.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

E-Money posted:

Thinking about upgrading the pickups on my epi les paul to something like the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set. It looks like i have options for multiple switching sets - it's not much more to pick up a set of push-pull pots. If I was going to pick between a coil split, series/parallel, and phase, which would you, the internet, go for? The stock pups are so muddy and gross.

Have you done anything to the control wiring? 50's wiring could help if things are really muddy when you roll off the volume a bit.

Also, ordered myself a pair of Retro30 8ohm speakers from WGS tonight. Slap those in the 2x12 this week and see how that ElevenRack sings with the band. :dance:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wonder if they do this to use lighter gauge strings to then play faster? The only explanation I've heard is so people can't learn their songs.

that's a retarded explanation. it's only up half a step from E standard

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

that's a retarded explanation. it's only up half a step from E standard

That's why I don't believe it. They play fast enough that I think it's a gauge thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Probably a tone/speed thing. Thrash on light strings feels great and can give you a really snappy sound with great harmonics.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Curtis Mayfield tuned to some weird rear end F#-A#-D#-F#-C#-F# tuning or something like that because that's what the black keys on a piano were, and I know Johnny Marr would tune up a full step to accomodate Morrissey/get extra chime. A capo accomplishes the same effect generally speaking so most people don't bother with it

I think it's a neat idea though, tune the E string to whatever your heart tells you

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's why I don't believe it. They play fast enough that I think it's a gauge thing.

They probably just like how it sounds.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

So as I may have mentioned, I'm a partner in a new shop opening next weekend here in Western Massachusetts. Two luthiers, who have quite a bit of experience (they're in their sixties), and myself, as the tech marine.

After a difficult October, due to a pipe breaking in the ceiling, and reflooring the entire space, we've finally started moving product in.

Unfortunately we ran out of wall hangers, and the rest won't be delivered until tomorrow.

We're focused more or less entirely on vintage guitars, banjos, mandolins, violins, etc. There's some neat stuff on the wall already, like a '55 Corvette, a '67 and '68 Tele, a '65 Jazzmaster. We also have a '60 ES-345 that I didn't even know about until yesterday.

I'm excited. I'd like to make enough money at this to stop doing IT work, since I've been doing that for sixteen years, and it's a terrible way to live.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

jwh posted:

So as I may have mentioned, I'm a partner in a new shop opening next weekend here in Western Massachusetts. Two luthiers, who have quite a bit of experience (they're in their sixties), and myself, as the tech marine.

After a difficult October, due to a pipe breaking in the ceiling, and reflooring the entire space, we've finally started moving product in.

Unfortunately we ran out of wall hangers, and the rest won't be delivered until tomorrow.

We're focused more or less entirely on vintage guitars, banjos, mandolins, violins, etc. There's some neat stuff on the wall already, like a '55 Corvette, a '67 and '68 Tele, a '65 Jazzmaster. We also have a '60 ES-345 that I didn't even know about until yesterday.

I'm excited. I'd like to make enough money at this to stop doing IT work, since I've been doing that for sixteen years, and it's a terrible way to live.

No bars on the windows? Just curious, what time do you guys close?

revolther
May 27, 2008
One busted pipe already, insure everything.

Vintage instruments like that, I'd be paranoid everyone under 50 was gonna turn them into a scratch'n'dent.

That guy with the beanie, I'd be like "naw sir, out, you come back in no less than a top hat and tuxedo with tails!"

Best of luck, that's pretty cool.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

There's a very expensive 3m anti-break film on the front windows, and bars on the back windows, with sash locks. And an alarm system, too, but that's not exactly helpful in a smash-and-grab situation.

Everything's insured, it's actually one of the largest operating costs we have- insuring ~100 vintage guitars is not cheap.

Yeah, the landlord had refinished the ceiling, and we were beginning to do the new oak flooring when a tenant moved in upstairs, ran the shower, and we discovered a broken drain pipe. Thankfully none of the inventory had been moved in yet.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Where in MA?
I'm trying to get free to head back up that way and would like to stop by and check you guys out.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Easthampton, MA. About an hour and a half west of Boston.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

KyloWinter posted:

I just saw a used fender Greta 2 watt amp for 99 dollars at my local music shop. I'm a newbie and mostly play guitar for myself and whoever happens to be around. What do goons think of this item?

They vary a lot. I played one that good and one that was crap, probably would have been OK if it was properly serviced. Kind of a one-trick pony though, I'd get something like a Cube or a Mustang 1 for that price.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just out of curiosity (mostly because l know I'll never afford it) how much does the Jazzmaster go for?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
You should take pictures of all of that stock and share with the rest of the group. It's not very nice to only talk about them :mad:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I can do that, it's actually what I'm working on this week.

As for the Jazzmaster, I want to say it's around 4,500, which is high for a '65 sunburst. But I'll find out for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

jwh posted:

We're focused more or less entirely on vintage guitars, banjos, mandolins, violins, etc. There's some neat stuff on the wall already, like a '55 Corvette, a '67 and '68 Tele, a '65 Jazzmaster.

:jackbud: