Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I put flights on my AMEX Platinum, everything else on my CSR. The flight/travel vouchers lower the annual fees considerably and the points more than make up for the rest.

It helps that I enjoy traveling as a hobby in my spare time. Otherwise I'd do something like a Chase freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Initio posted:

It’s a weird experience moving from one client who agonized over every dollar of expenses to a new one that’s more than happy to say they’ll just eat the $400 in last minute flight change fees as long as I can make it to their rescheduled meeting.

Yeah it basically owns but also means that your plans are changeable at the clients whims which sucks for personal life poo poo

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

sellouts posted:

Yeah it basically owns but also means that your plans are changeable at the clients whims which sucks for personal life poo poo

I had one client demand on a Wednesday afternoon that I be at their Johannesburg office on the following Monday morning, and that I be there for a month. That was a fun one to break to the girl I had just starting dating.

I ended up booking a business class ticket for Friday for around $10K. Big banks can be interesting to work for.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’ve heard the horror stories about Avis and high praise for national. Where does Hertz fit in?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

National > Hertz > Avis

Hertz has gotten better in the last few years but not enough for me to switch from national buy I am getting really tired of Nissan Altimas even if they’re newer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Welp. Managed to snag suites for two people on Singapore airlines under a saver rewards redemption.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I’m confused is Airbnb legal in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal?

Because there are listings...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'll be in NYC for UFC 244 at MSG Nov 1-3rd. I travel IHG, any opinions on Kimptons/Intercontinental in NYC? I don't mind hoping on a short train ride to the fight. I've been recommend Chelsea, Flat Iron or Union Sq by a friend. good cocktail/beer scenes a plus and would be open to any spot recommendations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Tab8715 posted:

I’m confused is Airbnb legal in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal?

Because there are listings...

in vancouver you need a permit (but no one bothers). i think it's explicitly okay in toronto. no idea about montreal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've stayed in an AirBnB in Quebec, but I know that doesn't mean anything about it being legal.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

in vancouver you need a permit (but no one bothers). i think it's explicitly okay in toronto. no idea about montreal

Interesting, there are quite a few in Toronto that almost look too good to be true but have great reviews leaving me conflicted. All the information I’ve found is a combination of yes, no or maybe on legality.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Seems to be common in Montreal, I've never had an issue

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I assume if it came down to it the authorities would just kick me out, go after the landlord and I’d be stuck with finding a hotel.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 20, 2019

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Thanks for the responses re:rental cars.

I just had a flight attendant tell me I can't have my laptop in the seat back. It's very small/thin and makes the thing no wider/thicker than the tray table, meanwhile there are people with giant pillows or purses in theirs.

He said I can put it in the overhead or on the floor though where it can slide to God knows where. How does that make any sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

I just had a flight attendant tell me I can't have my laptop in the seat back. It's very small/thin and makes the thing no wider/thicker than the tray table, meanwhile there are people with giant pillows or purses in theirs.

He said I can put it in the overhead or on the floor though where it can slide to God knows where. How does that make any sense.

Stick it behind the in flight magazine when he’s not looking.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm starting a new job that has a decent amount of travel and need a bit of clarification about our good buds with the TSA. I've been flying pretty regularly with my toiletries on my carry on with little to no incidents. I've never bothered with the clear case/bottle stuff and no one has seemed to care. Has that tracked with the rest of you? Also, any recommendations regarding transporting Hydrogen Peroxide contact solution? The normal bottle is too large for me to try and take through and I don't think I've even seen a travel size. I could just toss it in another container if it comes to it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

I'm starting a new job that has a decent amount of travel and need a bit of clarification about our good buds with the TSA. I've been flying pretty regularly with my toiletries on my carry on with little to no incidents. I've never bothered with the clear case/bottle stuff and no one has seemed to care. Has that tracked with the rest of you?

Get Pre and that should be fine.

Warbird posted:

Also, any recommendations regarding transporting Hydrogen Peroxide contact solution? The normal bottle is too large for me to try and take through and I don't think I've even seen a travel size. I could just toss it in another container if it comes to it.

You should invest in appropriate sized refillable travel bottles for stuff like this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I already have pre which explains folks not caring. I'll go ahead and order some bottles then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

I already have pre which explains folks not caring. I'll go ahead and order some bottles then.

Sometimes/some places you just won't get pre or it won't be available. So have a bag ready to go just in case.

Rather than a bag, I've stopped carrying liquids at all, but I don't have contacts so that's feasible for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Big Jesus posted:

it's to try to avoid heavy objects flying about the cabin in event of extreme turbulence / aggressive landings / extremely aggressive landings

the overhead makes sense, on the floor is a bit less logical.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Tab8715 posted:

Interesting, there are quite a few in Toronto that almost look too good to be true but have great reviews leaving me conflicted. All the information I’ve found is a combination of yes, no or maybe on legality.

I stayed in a really nice Airbnb with my inlaws in Toronto this summer, it was a full SFH. Near Don Valley

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Motronic posted:

Sometimes/some places you just won't get pre or it won't be available. So have a bag ready to go just in case.

Rather than a bag, I've stopped carrying liquids at all, but I don't have contacts so that's feasible for me.

That's about the only one for me; hair stuff aside. Do hotels usually offer complementary contact solution? If so I can suck it up and just mooch off of some free saline.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Warbird posted:

That's about the only one for me; hair stuff aside. Do hotels usually offer complementary contact solution? If so I can suck it up and just mooch off of some free saline.

As someone who wears contact no they dont. Buy refillabls or just grab like 10 of those little ones from target travel or whatever

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

just grab like 10 of those little ones from target travel or whatever

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's to try to avoid heavy objects flying about the cabin in event of extreme turbulence / aggressive landings / extremely aggressive landings

the overhead makes sense, on the floor is a bit less logical.

Overhead makes sense, it's contained. Seat back is mostly contained. Floor is wide loving open to go anywhere... Is it a law or just a rule some/all airlines use? This thing isn't much bigger than a tablet, and they usually don't say anything if I have it in tablet mode.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Warbird posted:

The Sheraton in Minneapolis gave me free travel size contact solution and that was it. Usually you’re lucky if they’ll even sell it to you.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

Overhead makes sense, it's contained. Seat back is mostly contained. Floor is wide loving open to go anywhere... Is it a law or just a rule some/all airlines use? This thing isn't much bigger than a tablet, and they usually don't say anything if I have it in tablet mode.

Ive heard a few FAs specifically say it and it’s come up ITT before. I just hide mine under a coat or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

It’s a rule that made sense 25 years ago when laptops weighed 10 pounds and nobody has bothered to update it since. If something happens there’s going to be a bunch of stuff in the air breaking skulls (including babies, phones and shoes) so your little laptop isn’t going to make a difference. Do just enough to get the sky janitor off your rear end and get on with your day.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Warbird posted:

I don't have pre and no one has ever cared about my liquids, I don't even bother putting them in a separate clear bag anymore. I'm also diabetic, and I've stopped mentioning it to TSA agents because no one cares about that either (thought I do keep a doctor's note in my bag just in case), but God forbid you have a small hardshell plastic case of business cards.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

ObsidianBeast posted:

I don't have pre and no one has ever cared about my liquids, I don't even bother putting them in a separate clear bag anymore. I'm also diabetic, and I've stopped mentioning it to TSA agents because no one cares about that either (thought I do keep a doctor's note in my bag just in case), but God forbid you have a small hardshell plastic case of business cards.

It has depended on the airport for me when it comes to liquids. Last year when I was traveling regularly, the large metro airport didn't care while the smaller regional one were sticklers about it.

And shoes being on the belt only. Fuckers scuffed my shoes t:mad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

It has depended on the airport for me when it comes to liquids. Last year when I was traveling regularly, the large metro airport didn't care while the smaller regional one were sticklers about it.

The shoes on belt thing is completely loving dumb and it will be no loss if any airport that does it is reduced to a smoking hole in the ground.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

The capricious TSA rule application is pretty well known. Some times, in some airports, in some Pre lanes I'll get poo poo about having two laptops in my bag at the same time. Most times nobody cares. After the first time it happened I was taking out the second laptop and a TSA agent saw and told me I didn't have to. I said it was a second laptop in the bag and the agent at X airport told me I had to take it out and she just rolled her eyes and said "nah."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Double post!

Lufthansa premium econ was surprisingly adequately mediocre (never flown them before). All the regular "can't choose a seat" problems I expected from my travel portal booking me on a code share flight, but the gate agent got me a bulkhead. Unfortunately it brought me to the Baltics for 11 days in autumn, so I'm not shitposting night shift for a while.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tried to save a client a few bucks and booked myself into Hyatt Place midtown south. Walked in, saw 2 bedbugs on the bed, turned and went downstairs and had them book me into the Park Hyatt, who for even being in the room dried, pressed and folded all of my clothes immediately at 3am.

Not sure what Hyatt is going to do. They’re usually great and the front desk people were mortified but like....that can’t happen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lucky you caught that. I've been bitten by bedbugs twice: once at the Hershey hotel and another time at the Hilton Tokyo. Fortunately they didn't hitch a ride on my luggage.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sellouts posted:

Tried to save a client a few bucks and booked myself into Hyatt Place midtown south. Walked in, saw 2 bedbugs on the bed, turned and went downstairs and had them book me into the Park Hyatt, who for even being in the room dried, pressed and folded all of my clothes immediately at 3am.

Not sure what Hyatt is going to do. They’re usually great and the front desk people were mortified but like....that can’t happen.

Curious: did you see them on the sheets or the comforter? If the former I can see spotting them and good for you for checking first but if the latter you must have laser-eagle eyes

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wasn’t even in bed. It was on the comforter.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How do garment bags figure into plane travel? I usually just bring a backpack and a carry on. I assume no one cares and you toss it in the overhead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

How do garment bags figure into plane travel? I usually just bring a backpack and a carry on. I assume no one cares and you toss it in the overhead.

They’re flexible enough to frequently lay over the top of other luggage so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Midjack posted:

They’re flexible enough to frequently lay over the top of other luggage so yeah.

This is usually true, but if you've got personal item + carry-on + garment bag and you happen to hit it when gate agents and management are annoyed at each other, at least American Airlines gate agents have figured out that being strict on garment bags is a good way to get business travelers to yell at corporate. Have had a couple of times (not super recently) where they've just gone down the line screwing people over. So it'll work like 99% of the time, but have a backup plan.