Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

sweet geek swag posted:

I would agree that if this series was taking place at the height of the War of the Jewels, this sort of behavior would be out of character for Galadriel.

But it takes place in the Second Age when Morgoth is gone and the orcs are in retreat. Wanting and pursuing vengeance in that situation is not an act of suicide at that point like it would have been during the First Age. It's very clear that the direction they chose to go with Galadriel is that she is traumatized by what happened in the first age and her plot arc will be learning to deal with that trauma.

A handful of Elves chasing down Morgoth's chief lieutenant? To do what if they were to stumble across him in some far off place, without an army behind them? This is not the Third Age Galadriel with the might, experience and abilities of ~8000 years and a ring of power on her finger.

I think readers underestimate what a big deal Sauron actually is. Also Galadriel is not Luthien, who was half Maia and had a mythical hunting doggo from Valinor as backup.

Depicting her as this reckless, revenge driven, PTSD crazed character, is the exact opposite of her original personality.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Data Graham posted:

For mnemonic purposes always remember that & is a stylized "et"
Holy poo poo
It took years of struggle to reach the grudging acceptance I have of the claimed etymology. It just sounds both too stupid and too cutesy, and I'm used to etymologies being ... mundane. Mildly inexplicable because things don't happen for reasons, they just happen and people look for reasons later. Anything clever or comedic in an etymology is to be instantly suspected.

Okay.

People used to put & at the end of the alphabet, as a 27th letter. People also used to say 'per se' for letters that were also words, to distinguish they meant the letter by itself, when reciting the alphabet. And so you recite the alphabet and get to X, Y, Z, and per se and.

I still struggle to believe this is where the name come from. I don't know where else it could've come from! It's just ... really? And per se and?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hammerstein posted:

A handful of Elves chasing down Morgoth's chief lieutenant? To do what if they were to stumble across him in some far off place, without an army behind them? This is not the Third Age Galadriel with the might, experience and abilities of ~8000 years and a ring of power on her finger.

I think readers underestimate what a big deal Sauron actually is. Also Galadriel is not Luthien, who was half Maia and had a mythical hunting doggo from Valinor as backup.

Depicting her as this reckless, revenge driven, PTSD crazed character, is the exact opposite of her original personality.

Presumably if they found Sauron (or a strong indication of his presence), they'd haul rear end back to Lorien to come back with an army.

Meanwhile, if Galadrial has a zen acceptance of "reality," she just stays on the ship to Valinor in episode one and/or doesn't bother hunting Sauron in the first place, so we'd need a new main character.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arc Hammer posted:

Elros was shown in a tapestry this episode and Anarion got a name drop. I like the guy playing Elendil and it's interesting watching Tar Miriel play the role of a nationalist at the court of the King's Men. Not entirely sure why they'd give Isildur a sister if Anarion is still around, probably to get some tragedy later is my best guess.

Sauron shows up at the end of the episode. he's blurry but definitely Elvish in features.

That character is named in pre-release content as Adar. It may be sauron in another form but its not certainly the case yet. That character is listed as a fallen Elf

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

My old editions are hiding in the back, except for Hurin. I got 5 more coming, til the end of september and then my collection should be updated and complete. I'm especially looking forward to this one:

quote:

Tolkien, Race, and Racism in Middle-earth – 16. April 2022, by Robert Stuart.

The tiny one, Simek, Mittelerde, is a treasure.

This is the author and he traces the influence of Nordic and Germanic mythology on Tolkien's works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Simek

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The show's condensed the timeline about a hundredfold so that all the major players can coexist at the same time, which I think is a prudent choice for an adaptation into a medium based on actors appearing in scenes together and exchanging dialogue. Sauron is going to have a very busy social calendar, though.

Themes of isolation and separation are all over this thing. The estrangement of the two kindreds, the Harfoots shunning all outsiders, southland villages not knowing that the next village over has fallen down an orc hole, Elrond neglecting his friendship with Durin, Halbrand doing his whole reluctant king act (side note: I like that they're setting up the redemption of a historically Shadow-aligned kingdom as a counterpoint to the downfall of historically anti-Shadow Númenor), the secrecy maintained by the Faithful, and so forth. In light of that, Galadriel is isolated from, well, everyone, by her unwillingness to regard the war as won, and the reason for that is clearly because of how personal it was for her: Finrod's murderer is still at large, and she thirsts for closure. She is still wise, but she's also as intense and driven as she'd have been during the War of Wrath, if not more so, and that kind of no-bullshit attitude is naturally going to seem unreasonable during these bullshit-rich days of peace.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hammerstein posted:

My old editions are hiding in the back, except for Hurin. I got 5 more coming, til the end of september and then my collection should be updated and complete. I'm especially looking forward to this one:

The tiny one, Simek, Mittelerde, is a treasure.

This is the author and he traces the influence of Nordic and Germanic mythology on Tolkien's works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Simek

Where did you get those beautiful slip case editions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its not in the best shape but a friend of mine gifted me his 1980 First American Edition of Unfinished Tales.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My main copy is the Centenary Edition hardcover single-volume that I got in 1991.

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-J...la-568869035502

(then brand-new) art by Alan Lee. I'm a Nasmith stan but Lee's stuff works well in this context

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So how likely do you suppose it is that Halbrand becomes a nazgul?

Seems a likely candidate as the king of a realm that we know is doomed.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Viridiant posted:

So how likely do you suppose it is that Halbrand becomes a nazgul?

Seems a likely candidate as the king of a realm that we know is doomed.

according to the supposed leak which has been mostly accurate so far, Halbrand is supposed to be Sauron. Weird but plausible given

LOTR fandom wiki posted:

After his defeat by Lúthien, Sauron played little part in the events of the First Age (possibly hiding from Morgoth's scorn or wrath). After his former master was defeated and taken to Valinor in chains, Sauron seemed to repent and plead Eönwë and the victorious Host of the West for mercy, although he may have only been daunted by their triumph. At the same time, Sauron was unwilling to return to the Utter West for judgment out of pride, and instead fled and hid somewhere in Middle-earth.

His jonesing for blacksmithing stuff seems to point in that direction. It would be kinda interesting to show a somewhat morally conflicted Mairon, and the fact that it would make the purists screech makes the idea even more appealing. My guess in that event is that he's hanging out in mannish form to lay low, but then that doesn't explain who is directing the big works project in soon-to-be Mordor. So, if not Sauron, one of the nine does seem pretty plausible. I think it's gotta be one of the two for sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, if we're doing book pics I have a timely post

This is what got me started, summer of third grade, my sister bought it at a book sale for a quarter to keep me distracted:

The paperbacks we have surviving, from the old 70's ballantine cover which I genuinely love to the more modern ones

The hardback editions I got for myself a few years ago:

The one first edition I could afford:

And then, the piece de resistance, which I just recently bought as a birthday present for my wife:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

We doing Tolkien collections? This is my shelf of books I currently have with me (plus the Atlas of Middle-Earth on another shelf):

At my parents' house is this version of the Silmarillion:

And these editions of LOTR and The Hobbit:

Which were the copies I originally read as a kid. Also have The Peoples of Middle-Earth and Sauron Defeated there. Nothing super interesting in terms of editions except for the Ballantine LOTR/Hobbit, which I've always had a fondness for the covers of.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll post mine but I have nothing too special.

The Hobbit is probably the nicest book I have. Hardcover case and hardcover itself.

Triology is in a hardcover case for all three

Just finished the 3rd episode and I'm very much liking the show. I'm probably not as connected to the origin stories and original text but I'm enjoying myself

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the third episode was an improvement

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where did you get those beautiful slip case editions?

Silmarillion, Hobbit and Unfinished Tales should all be available, being 2021 editions. I got the ISBN numbers for you, if you want to buy the same editions, ISBN:
978-0008433956
978-0007118359
978-0008387969

History of ME is a 2017 edition: 978-0008259846 These should all still be in print. LOTR is a 2004 edition, but should also not be hard to find, ISBN 978-0007182367

ChubbyChecker posted:

the third episode was an improvement

Galadriel saying "It was because of the Elves that you were given this island" was another low point. Not true and a diplomatic analog to spitting in every Numénoreans face.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 11, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Silmarillion, Hobbit and Unfinished Tales should all be available, being 2021 editions. I got the ISBN numbers for you, if you want to buy the same editions, ISBN:
978-0008433956
978-0007118359
978-0008387969

History of ME is a 2017 edition: 978-0008259846 These should all still be in print. LOTR is a 2004 edition, but should also not be hard to find, ISBN 978-0007182367

Galadriel saying "It was because of the Elves that you were given this island" was another low point. Not true and a diplomatic analog to spitting in every Numénoreans face.

Are those only available to purchase from the UK?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xibanya posted:

according to the supposed leak which has been mostly accurate so far, Halbrand is supposed to be Sauron. Weird but plausible given

His jonesing for blacksmithing stuff seems to point in that direction. It would be kinda interesting to show a somewhat morally conflicted Mairon, and the fact that it would make the purists screech makes the idea even more appealing. My guess in that event is that he's hanging out in mannish form to lay low, but then that doesn't explain who is directing the big works project in soon-to-be Mordor. So, if not Sauron, one of the nine does seem pretty plausible. I think it's gotta be one of the two for sure.

I think the leak is BS. I have several problems with it. First, why is Sauron on a rickety raft with a bunch of other people in the middle of the ocean. Why would Sauron save Galadrial? It makes more sense that Halbrand is "jonesing for a forge" because he wants to start a new life in Numenor and leave his "kingly destiny" far behind.

Here's a fun, hosed up guess: Sauron is actually disguised as Celebrimbor, having killed the real one and taken his place.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sauron is galadriel

think about it

why else would they act like that?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

I'm not a huge purist and am enjoying the show, but this stood out to me as well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Technically it was because of elves. Elves failing at everything and loving up Beleriand so badly that the gods had no choice but to offer to rehome its human population to a controlled environment after they scourged the continent out of existence

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's some Earendil erasure. You don't get to request aid from the Valar without some of Chad Tuor's big dick man energy.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are those only available to purchase from the UK?

ISBN-13 numbers are international. So just pick a book store of your choice and they should be able to order them from you.

I don't live in the UK, but this was easy to find. For example: https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9780008387969

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

ISBN-13 numbers are international. So just pick a book store of your choice and they should be able to order them from you.

I don't live in the UK, but this was easy to find. For example: https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9780008387969

I mean, that’s a UK based store. But they ship to the US so that’s cool.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i've said before i don't mind that they change things in the show to fit the medium but making galadriel ride with a saddle bugs me

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

i've said before i don't mind that they change things in the show to fit the medium but making galadriel ride with a saddle bugs me

Letting Morfydd Clark ride with a saddle so she won't fall off the horse and die from it trampling her is something I'm willing to accept.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i mean stunt doubles, cgi, or just cut the scene. plenty of options

episode felt mostly pointless again, the numenor and galadriel bits are the weakest and feel like a stilted theatre production. the harfoot stuff is actually relatively watchable because it's low stakes and simple. action scenes with arondir looked weightless and it's never established who the other characters even were before they got killed, i barely got if they were elves or "humans"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Discounting personal feeling about how certain changes have been made for the adaptation my main issue with the show comes down to the pacing. It is absolutely glacial which is a problem i have with a lot of prestige TV these days. It takes forever for stuff to happen and it makes it hard to go back and watch individual episodes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the elves not needing a bit and bridle has always been fine to me, but extending it to the saddle always seemed a bridge too far. saddles and stirrups provide the ability for the rider to do things like brace for a charge or stand up in the saddle. elves used cavalry, and it would be silly for them to be going into battle unable to fight from horseback properly. also their bodies are identical to ours, so wanting to actually have comfort while riding would make sense, and the saddle does not have the implication of control that the bit and bridle do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Glorfindal had stirrups and a saddle and reins and everything anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Basically i get what Tolkien is doing by having that narrative element, but for a visual adaptation i don't think it matters at all, since to be frank, it just seems like horse riding something tolkien is unfamiliar with beyond some stuff when he was young. from my understanding its not even good for a horse to ride them bareback too much, compared to having a saddle to distribute the load better

euphronius posted:

He probably rode horses in public school and also in officer training . Who knows tho

yeah that is what i was referencing, he was obviously more familiar than most of his readers but i don't think he was a particularly avid horseman, or an expert on horse care. he's just a guy, so when little things like that end up being contradicted in an adaptation i don't think its a problem really

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 11, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He probably rode horses in public school and also in officer training . Who knows tho

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Basically i get what Tolkien is doing by having that narrative element, but for a visual adaptation i don't think it matters at all, since to be frank, it just seems like horse riding something tolkien is unfamiliar with beyond some stuff when he was young. from my understanding its not even good for a horse to ride them bareback too much, compared to having a saddle to distribute the load better

yeah that is what i was referencing, he was obviously more familiar than most of his readers but i don't think he was a particularly avid horseman, or an expert on horse care. he's just a guy, so when little things like that end up being contradicted in an adaptation i don't think its a problem really

elves can walk on snow

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

YaketySass posted:

elves can walk on snow

that does not allow them to magically stand up while riding bareback, or brace into a lance charge

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that does not allow them to magically stand up while riding bareback, or brace into a lance charge

i bet you think that they can't cast spells either

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elves do magic all the time. But yes they use saddles too so . Who knows .

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder how much of movie tropes — particularly then-current Westerns — were influencing Tolkien in that regard. I feel like there was / is a persistent belief that Native Americans didn't have saddles/stirrups and that was maaaaayyybe an ingredient in his conception of Elves? But of course it turns out to be a myth:

https://digitalrepository.unm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1324&context=nmhr

tldr: Native Americans got saddles and stirrups at the same time they got horses, i.e. from the Spanish

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I think we can agree that elf cavalry, when riding into battle, would benefit from using saddles and stirrups. While in peacetime some elf taking riding through the woods for fun, might not take one. Of course we could have had a scene where Galadriel demands the saddle to be taken off, but the show is already slow enough without that.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

Glorfindal had stirrups and a saddle and reins and everything anyway.

He was out looking for a hobbit, who might need those if he was found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So Rivendell just did a mto saddle before he left ?