Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah when I was there Saturday I was surprised that the famed LOUD LOUNGE had been converted to "RENTALS."

That actually made me a little sad.

Anybody have an opinion of the Marshall DSL 15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

ZombieParts posted:

The physical stores are aimed squarely at newbs. I guarantee their Line6 and Orange section was fully stocked.

Funny you should say that. It wasn't quite a wall of Line 6 and Orange Crushes, but a good quarter of the amps were low end VOX combo amps for some reason. Basses were low end Ampeg and Mark Bass.

To be fair, if everything was on shelving instead of just being shoved onto the floor, it would look nice and open in there instead of the old weird maze like way the old layout. I won't miss the days were the bass section was clogged by a dude who looks like he's going to reek of Patchouli plugging away at some chugga chugga thing and a kid blocking the muddle route through the amps almost playing the opening to Thunderstruck through the largest setup he can find.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah when I was there Saturday I was surprised that the famed LOUD LOUNGE had been converted to "RENTALS."

From what I hear about the DSL 15, it's a decent amp if you want to sound like a modern hard rock guitarist. Anything else though and you're hosed.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Its a nice little, if overpriced amp. I have used one a few times. Its biggest drawback is the shared EQ for both channels.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you've got a 4x12 or 2 already then the DSL15H is great. I bought a DSL40C for my gig in Shanghai back in June and it's a perfect amplifier. Super loud and clear with a definite Marshall honk. I keep it on the classic channel which acts like a JCM800. I have the gain on 10 and the volume on 4 and it shakes the floor on the stage even though it's on a stand. It absolutely loves pedals and just roars when all my poo poo is fired up.

On Clean settings it's naturally bright and harsh sounding. You have to tame it with your guitar volume and tone.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

comes along bort posted:

don't forget its companion the h1

Big Hondo fanboy here. There's one of those on local (OKC) CL.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5058902861.html Pointy. Point.

Also, hellow thread, longtime lurker here.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Big Hondo fanboy here. There's one of those on local (OKC) CL.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5058902861.html Pointy. Point.

Also, hellow thread, longtime lurker here.

Do it. Do it do it DO IT!

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
holy poo poo that thing is only $100? I'd buy the gently caress out of that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

If you've got a 4x12 or 2 already then the DSL15H is great. I bought a DSL40C for my gig in Shanghai back in June and it's a perfect amplifier. Super loud and clear with a definite Marshall honk. I keep it on the classic channel which acts like a JCM800. I have the gain on 10 and the volume on 4 and it shakes the floor on the stage even though it's on a stand. It absolutely loves pedals and just roars when all my poo poo is fired up.

On Clean settings it's naturally bright and harsh sounding. You have to tame it with your guitar volume and tone.

I have the DSL1C and this has been my experience with the DSL line as well. (Mine obviously doesn't shake the house which is why I got it)

The Classic gain channel is utterly amazing with the gain on 10 and a boost pedal feeding it and when you roll back your guitars volume/tone and kill the boost pedal you'll get a very usable (but not fender clear) clean.

The Ultra gain channel is a disappointment just past 12 o'clock on both gain and volume but right around there you'll get a really thick distortion channel, especially when you turn a boost pedal back on.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 4, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to build a rig around a pair of them as soon as I saw it. Then I saw the $450 price tag. O well, I'll keep on keepin' on with my PODHD. It did very well at the gig on Saturday.

Just saw a video of the Axe FX2, very very nice. Wish I had tens of thousands of dollars for music gear.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

pointlessone posted:

Do it. Do it do it DO IT!

Me: "Honey, I heard a voice in my head that sounded like a tree frog. It was while I was reading the Stupid Music poo poo thread in that forum you hate? The frog told me to get this pointytar, and Hell, for $100 I figured, why not."
Wife: :frogout:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

can someone shed some light on this drat thing? i bought it a year or so ago from a friend that doesnt even play guitar, and he said it was a modified nighthawk. it had a loving lovely kahler tremolo that i replaced with a fixed bridge but other than that i havent hosed with it much.

im fairly certain thats an explorer head, but the body is a quandary. the only reason i care about it at all is that it sounds really really good for being such a piece of poo poo. its a super solid guitar

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

can someone shed some light on this drat thing? i bought it a year or so ago from a friend that doesnt even play guitar, and he said it was a modified nighthawk. it had a loving lovely kahler tremolo that i replaced with a fixed bridge but other than that i havent hosed with it much.

im fairly certain thats an explorer head, but the body is a quandary. the only reason i care about it at all is that it sounds really really good for being such a piece of poo poo. its a super solid guitar

Looks like a Gibson Spirit XPL, but they are supposed to be double cutaways.
There's also the Challenger and Invader, which are both obscure enough that no one seems to know much about them.

A Good Username fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 4, 2015

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Les Paul Junior?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

City of Tampa posted:

holy poo poo that thing is only $100? I'd buy the gently caress out of that.

I'm texting him about a possible swap for this

So I probably belong in this thread

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Welcome. You are among friends.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That guitar needs a suitably melted scratchplate with The Scream printed on it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

So I probably belong in this thread

I was just playing my jap-plywood Hondo and now I'm debating ordering the GFS (Ping) heavy duty FR Tremolo for it.

Do I use backboard screws when working on a plywood guitar? :v:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Quick question for everyone;

I'm drawing up CAD plans for the guitar I'm making from MDF and other cheap crap. If anyone is interested I could upload them in *.pdf and/or autocad format when they are finished.

Sneaky peek (apologies for the pink background):

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I hate DSLs. When I used to work in a bar that did bands every night a few years ago everyone had them and they sound like muddy raspy dogshit.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

massive spider posted:

I hate DSLs. When I used to work in a bar that did bands every night a few years ago everyone had them and they sound like muddy raspy dogshit.

you just described all marshall amps

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Quick question for everyone;

I'm drawing up CAD plans for the guitar I'm making from MDF and other cheap crap. If anyone is interested I could upload them in *.pdf and/or autocad format when they are finished.

Sneaky peek (apologies for the pink background):

You know mdf was the go-to material for home speaker cabs because of its 'neutral tonality'.....pause. Are you going to put a really vile finish on it? Or just go with :ohdear: naturally relic'd mdf?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Mr. Mambold posted:

You know mdf was the go-to material for home speaker cabs because of its 'neutral tonality'.....pause. Are you going to put a really vile finish on it? Or just go with :ohdear: naturally relic'd mdf?

It's funny because the guitar guys say MDF will KILL YOUR TONE and they get angry when you mention that it's used in speakers (another fun fact: Audiophiles think that beech speakers cabs sound too warm, whereas the tonewood people think it sounds too sharp). No idea on the finish, probably glue on something like wallpaper or wrapping paper or just spray it black.

It's going to have mini-humbuckers in it too as they are apparently the worst pickup for semi-hollow construction. The whole thing has been designed to piss those people off.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

massive spider posted:

lol they're supposed to sound like that

check out this newb

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

White Dog Eggs posted:

It's funny because the guitar guys say MDF will KILL YOUR TONE and they get angry when you mention that it's used in speakers (another fun fact: Audiophiles think that beech speakers cabs sound too warm, whereas the tonewood people think it sounds too sharp). No idea on the finish, probably glue on something like wallpaper or wrapping paper or just spray it black.

It's going to have mini-humbuckers in it too as they are apparently the worst pickup for semi-hollow construction. The whole thing has been designed to piss those people off.

Hahaha sounds delightful. I hate working mdf myself, it destroys bits and is just all-round horrible to inhale,etc.

Here's an idea for a mod for ~the most discerning ears~. It could be called The Next-Gen Guitar Tone Balancer system. You know those balancers that archers have on their bows, right?
It would be a threaded dowel that only a certified tech (yourself in this case) would drill & glue into the body. Or maybe an adjustable angle type thing. On the threaded dowel would be a cocobolo or rosewood or w/e ball that the player could thread closer or further away from the body to modify tone by changing tonewood center-of-gravity dynamics.
Jesus, talk me down, I'm scaring myself here. Center of gravity tone dynamics.....I think I need an intervention.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
That's really not much weirder than something like this

Alternatively you could just resell small closet hooks to mount and hang blocks of tone wood off of.

MAKE SURE YOU USE CERTIFIED TONESTRING WHEN HANGING

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hahaha sounds delightful. I hate working mdf myself, it destroys bits and is just all-round horrible to inhale,etc.

Here's an idea for a mod for ~the most discerning ears~. It could be called The Next-Gen Guitar Tone Balancer system. You know those balancers that archers have on their bows, right?
It would be a threaded dowel that only a certified tech (yourself in this case) would drill & glue into the body. Or maybe an adjustable angle type thing. On the threaded dowel would be a cocobolo or rosewood or w/e ball that the player could thread closer or further away from the body to modify tone by changing tonewood center-of-gravity dynamics.
Jesus, talk me down, I'm scaring myself here. Center of gravity tone dynamics.....I think I need an intervention.

There is already some weird-shaped sci-fi looking guitar that has "tone bars" or something like that where you put different types of wood into a bracket next to the body, I can't remember what it's called and google has failed me

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

City of Tampa posted:

There is already some weird-shaped sci-fi looking guitar that has "tone bars" or something like that where you put different types of wood into a bracket next to the body, I can't remember what it's called and google has failed me

it's a teuffel

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Mambold posted:

MDF is gross to work (the dust is carcinogenic if you breathe it in, it gets everywhere and it blunts tools really quickly) but I've got loads of it for (I use it for making templates with) and it's pure Anti-Tone, so it's worth it.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

City of Tampa posted:

I know the exact thing you are on about but I can't find it either.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

muike posted:

it's a teuffel

bingo

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

City of Tampa posted:

Dear God. I can't even tell when I'm channeling some demented notion that's already been done....

muike posted:

it's a teuffel

Haha, wow. For bonus points, der Teufel = the Devil.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jesus Christ :psyduck:

This is the new official ugly guitar thread guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
look up klein guitars

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
you should make MDF tone bars as an upgrade for Teuffel guitars

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

40% less character than leading brandsŪ

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

idk if any of you guys are into boutique pedals or whatever but if you are definitely give walrus audio your business. i ordered a power supply from them last week and it took a few days longer than i thought to get the package. when i got it, there was a note that was super apologetic and an additional pedal that they threw in as a mea culpa, which was unnecessary for like a 2 day delay

http://walrusaudio.com/shop/harvester/

a 189 dollar pedal for being slightly slower than loving amazon. those guys rule

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stux posted:

you just described all marshall amps

Marshall amps flowchart:

code:
Is it a late 60s 1959SLP? --> Yes --> Play it
   |
   V
   No
   |
   V
Play something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Schpyder posted:

Marshall amps flowchart:

code:
Is it a late 60s 1959SLP? --> Yes --> Play it
   |
   V
   No
   |
   V
Play something else

JCM800's though

Marshall made at least 2 good amps.

My uncle(A legit blues dad, but I swear he is actually really good) has some expensive "Bluesbreaker" reissue combo too, it seems pretty nice. I have played it a bit, it's a solid amp. Not 4k nice, but nice.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 4, 2015

• Locked thread