Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Koalas March posted:

Same. Or Colleen. Still waiting for Colleen and Misty to get their due. Give me Daughters of the Dragon!!

I agree with the consensus that I enjoyed Luke cage more, even though I know it dropped sharply. The vibe and atmosphere was just perfect. It also came out at the perfect time. I know some people thought the "Bulletproof black guy" promotions was kinda cheesy or overwrought but gently caress, it was really great to see. It was something I've been waiting for since I was a kid, and I ate it up. I love that they marketed it as a show that's embracing it's blackness. I really felt the heartbeat of Harlem, it felt more real than the settings in the other shows.

Luke Cage had a really "home" feeling to me as someone who grew up in the city and spent a ton of time uptown (Washington Heights, but not unfamiliar with Harlem). Its weird because there's so many shows that are filmed in NYC and I can recognize places and neighborhoods but I don't get that feeling. But Cage really captured that something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cage was half of a decent show

I don't know why they felt the need to cram 3 villains in there though. Villains are better if we get to follow them and see them grow in an arc as well... Cottonmouth was enough.

Then they kill him halfway through??

Like, who even comes up with something that stupid

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL the only OBJECTIVE truth about JJ is "It stars a woman and focuses on women's issues".

Daredevil (S1) has infinitely better action and a stronger supporting cast.

I agree with the above sentiments because Luke Cage is just a better character than either DD or JJ.

"Waaah I'm sad I have super powers and the city is a shithole and every night I'm haunted by horrible visions of my past and my trauma and..."

*DOPE HIP HOP BEAT* Hi everyone it's your friend, Luke! I love my community and I'm just here to help. I like boning, Def Jam, sweeping up debris and quizzically staring at people when they explain the plot up until now, it's me, Good Guy Luke."

The overwhelming conceit that "super-powers" are a curse is so played out because those stories have no weight in a US society where there are basically no consequences for anyone in authority. If cops can get away with literal murder and politicians can do whatever they want and spend money like it's nothing and they never have to enact legislation because "LoL-itics" then why are all these superheroes moping around, whose gonna stop you? Luke Cage uses his powers whenever he wants because he understands that wasting your powers is the greatest curse, he could be helping people.

I just read somewhere "Luke Cage drops off sharply when it stops being a black show and starts to behave like every other Netflix Marvel property, and losing the backdrop of the club and its black music when Cottonmouth dies is the giant nail in that coffin, and then it's like one episode later when magic bullets etc happen."

The culture on display takes a sharp nosedive as the comic book plot ramps up, and DDS2 does the same dramatic tonal shift because everything that happens to Frank is very real and visceral but the faceless army of plot ninjas holds no weight at all so everyone stops caring.

Dude. Luke does NOT bone. He "goes out for coffee".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Luke Cage had a really "home" feeling to me as someone who grew up in the city and spent a ton of time uptown (Washington Heights, but not unfamiliar with Harlem). Its weird because there's so many shows that are filmed in NYC and I can recognize places and neighborhoods but I don't get that feeling. But Cage really captured that something.

Yes, that's precisely it. It's something I didn't even realized I picked up on until these last few posts. Harlem in the show feels like people actually *live* there and call it home. It's a rare show where the neighborhood feels like a living, breathing character itself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One thing I noticed from the trailer: This is gonna be a pretty bright show. I hope that's not just really frontloaded but there's a good deal of events taking place in either the AM or like three in the afternoon.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

At least the tone and lyrics have a similar theme to Punisher. Better than a car company using "Born in the USA" over truck footage.

Don't get me wrong - "One" hits my sweet spot and I thought the trailer was great. It's just that the song is not quite about the thing it was asserted to be about.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

I just wish they'd leaned a bit more into social commentary. There were some pretty blatant moments, but the show seemed afraid to just come out and say words like "institutionalized racism".
Or that dumb scene where they try to get a townhall meeting to turn people's opinion on Cage and to arm the cops with super bullets

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

achillesforever6 posted:

Or that dumb scene where they try to get a townhall meeting to turn people's opinion on Cage and to arm the cops with super bullets

Yeah, that was one of the least believable things, even in a setting with magic ninjas. "Luke Cage is a super-thug. Let's give the police way more discretional authority and arm them with hosed up explosive military tech specifically to target him, are you with me Harlem?!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The strangest part of the story where a failing politician tries to campaign on bullshit police militarization "law and order" against an accused black man is that the viral cop video made the cops look like the victims.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Cage was half of a decent show

I don't know why they felt the need to cram 3 villains in there though. Villains are better if we get to follow them and see them grow in an arc as well... Cottonmouth was enough.

Then they kill him halfway through??

Like, who even comes up with something that stupid

I think if Cottonmouth had lasted the whole season, Diamondback could have been a good reason to draw the audience to a second season, as people would be curious to meet this guy who pulls all the strings behind the scenes but never shows himself.

So yeah, killing off Cottonmouth halfway was a terrible decision.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that was one of the least believable things, even in a setting with magic ninjas. "Luke Cage is a super-thug. Let's give the police way more discretional authority and arm them with hosed up explosive military tech specifically to target him, are you with me Harlem?!"

Giving the cops ridiculous military gear to deal with the black menace is a thing that happens regularly. If there was a Bulletproof black man in our society right now there would be hicks and poo poo lining up to get a shot in on him. I don't even want to think about the police/military response.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The criticism isn't that the police militarization is implausible in and of itself, it's that it was being sold to Harlem which is exactly the usual business end of said militarization. Maybe they were trying to make a point about fear and prejudice being easy to succumb to when you're on the other side of it or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shoulda been a white guy selling it to a bunch of other white guys. But that might've been too political.

I also feel like that really weird scene where Misty's superior is all "You shoulda trusted the system! The cops are the good guys!" was really at odds with the tone of the show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

One thing I noticed from the trailer: This is gonna be a pretty bright show. I hope that's not just really frontloaded but there's a good deal of events taking place in either the AM or like three in the afternoon.

That’s just the trailer. Punisher filmed a million billion scenes at night

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Shoulda been a white guy selling it to a bunch of other white guys. But that might've been too political.

I also feel like that really weird scene where Misty's superior is all "You shoulda trusted the system! The cops are the good guys!" was really at odds with the tone of the show.

Yeah, I said the same thing too when Luke Cage was the newest airing thing on Netflix. "You shoulda trusted the system! The cops are the good guys!" -said not 20 minutes after her new partner tried to kill her because he was on Cottonmouth's payroll.

theflyingexecutive posted:

That’s just the trailer. Punisher filmed a million billion scenes at night

Yeah, I meant to say that I hope all those scenes weren't just frontloaded in the trailer. Either way, it hopefully means we won't have the issue of darkness that plagued Sora, Donald and Goofy the Defenders.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I said the same thing too when Luke Cage was the newest airing thing on Netflix. "You shoulda trusted the system! The cops are the good guys!" -said not 20 minutes after her new partner tried to kill her because he was on Cottonmouth's payroll.

Or a show where in a previous connected series half the police department including the special forces teams was working directly for Kingpin and the second he gets to jail he already has all the prison staff on his payroll. Or the fact that apparently the system has been controlled by the ninja Illuminati for thousands of years. Netflix Marvel is kind of all over the place since it can't decide if it wants police and the system to be both more and less corrupt that reality and switches back and forth constantly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

Giving the cops ridiculous military gear to deal with the black menace is a thing that happens regularly. If there was a Bulletproof black man in our society right now there would be hicks and poo poo lining up to get a shot in on him. I don't even want to think about the police/military response.

People are complaining that it was really bad writing that the residents of Harlem would cheer for giving the police even more weaponry to crackdown on them. Pretty sure this was after that the police were harassing them even harder and looking for Luke Cage.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm going to re-watch Luke Cage because it was fun and awesome in spite of the corniness of Diamondback.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I thought the sequence of events was, rally to up-arm the cops because Luke is a scary bulletproof badass and then the cops started harrassing everyone.

Like the commentary was about how counterproductive it was for both sides. The people give in to fear and pay for it with it indiscriminate harrassment and the police piss away all their goodwill by abusing the additional leeway they've been given.

Maybe my memory's failing me here though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radish posted:

Or a show where in a previous connected series half the police department including the special forces teams was working directly for Kingpin and the second he gets to jail he already has all the prison staff on his payroll. Or the fact that apparently the system has been controlled by the ninja Illuminati for thousands of years. Netflix Marvel is kind of all over the place since it can't decide if it wants police and the system to be both more and less corrupt that reality and switches back and forth constantly.

To be fair, he did have to build up getting the prison staff in his pocket. The police, journalists, SWAT, bagmen, assassins lawyers and drug runners were all long established though.

Q_res posted:

I thought the sequence of events was, rally to up-arm the cops because Luke is a scary bulletproof badass and then the cops started harrassing everyone.

Like the commentary was about how counterproductive it was for both sides. The people give in to fear and pay for it with it indiscriminate harrassment and the police piss away all their goodwill by abusing the additional leeway they've been given.

Maybe my memory's failing me here though.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it started with a police officer freaking out after Scarfe was murdered and throwing some black teenager around an interrogation room and then police going out on the streets of Harlem like a bunch of Fear Gas hopped up circus strongmen. And then Mariah holds a meeting for the community to trust in the police after they'd just been through them having practiced their dribbling with people's faces.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 22, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mariah probably packed the crowd with people who would cheer for anything she said.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

docbeard posted:

Mariah probably packed the crowd with people who would cheer for anything she said.

Not only that, but never underestimate the power of coonery. Especially in older people. A lot of aspects of white supremacy are ingrained in black people too, sadly.

Remember that black people supported the crazy measures the government took during the crack epidemic. Measures that were used to specifically target other black people.

If you guys are interested in things like this, go forth and check out Negrotown!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

People are complaining that it was really bad writing that the residents of Harlem would cheer for giving the police even more weaponry to crackdown on them.

Yes, this was my point. If Mariah was pitching this to a white suburb in Westchester, nobody would bat an eye.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder what kind of freaks they're going to bring out to fight Frank, since he doesn't have superpowers beyond his unwavering conviction to murder and the will to keep going even after having his foot drilled through.

Matt had ninjas and zombie ninjas.

Luke had the alien metal bullets

Jessica had a druggie

And Danny's greatest weakness was anyone who imitated a single move from an episode of Power Rangers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Koalas March posted:

Not only that, but never underestimate the power of coonery. Especially in older people. A lot of aspects of white supremacy are ingrained in black people too, sadly.

Remember that black people supported the crazy measures the government took during the crack epidemic. Measures that were used to specifically target other black people.

If you guys are interested in things like this, go forth and check out Negrotown!

the power of what now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder what kind of freaks they're going to bring out to fight Frank, since he doesn't have superpowers beyond his unwavering conviction to murder and the will to keep going even after having his foot drilled through.

Jessica had a druggie

And Danny's greatest weakness was anyone who imitated a single move from an episode of Power Rangers.

From what's been said/leaked, Frank will have mercenaries. A Blackwater-style PMC is apparently the main antagonist group.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

the power of what now

Coon is a term that us black people (especially those of us involved in social justice) use to refer to other black people who support or perpetuate white supremacy.

If you have questions about this, go to Negrotown.

See also: hotep, ankh nigga

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RareAcumen posted:

Jessica had a druggie

Grim Jawed Soldier Man will fight against other Grim Jawed Soldier Mans! Tune in to find out who wins...

GRIM JAWED SOLIDER MAN WINS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HIJK posted:

Grim Jawed Soldier Man will fight against other Grim Jawed Soldier Mans! Tune in to find out who wins...

GRIM JAWED SOLIDER MAN WINS

poo poo, why not NUKE?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cythereal posted:

From what's been said/leaked, Frank will have mercenaries. A Blackwater-style PMC is apparently the main antagonist group.

Which will probably be in some way connect to The Hand

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Davros1 posted:

Which will probably be in some way connect to The Hand

Probably, but setup seems to be more that the PMC is connected to the CIA. Jigsaw runs the PMC and was apparently the guy in charge of whatever happened in Iraq.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Nib is pretty drat good (mostly Matt Lubchansky)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That Mariah scene is still the funniest thing ever.

"The police need to stop beating our black brothers in the streets!"
Yeah!
"And people like Luke Cage are making us collateral damage!"
Yeah!
"So let's arm the police with even more powerful weapons!"
Yeah! Wait, what?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Narcissus1916 posted:

That Mariah scene is still the funniest thing ever.

"The police need to stop beating our black brothers in the streets!"
Yeah!
"And people like Luke Cage are making us collateral damage!"
Yeah!
"So let's arm the police with even more powerful weapons!"
Yeah! Wait, what?

I mean that has literally worked before sooooooo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the point where I disagree with the criticism. What Mariah did and what was written was just a basic political tactic and you could find countless real world examples of it working. It doesn't mean the whole of Harlem turned on Luke Cage (and most of the other things that happened showed most people hadn't). It meant a somewhat charismatic politician put together a successful rally to distract from her corruption/criminal scandal with fear and mongering "law and order" tactics.

Harlem and black people aren't immune from that poo poo. Go back and see what they thought of the Clinton crime bill and war on drugs in the 90s.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If there was one thing I really wanted from Luke Cage, it was a scene where he and Misty are at a precinct and some random cop makes an off color comment about black on black crime and they just turn to him and shred him verbally and then like throws him out a window for being an idiot.

Sigh

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Thematically it made zero sense to burn through Cottonmouth that early, if anything having him die in the season finale instead of ep (6,7?) to Mariah would have been way more impactful. Sure it was a great moment, but everything after that goes downhill in a massive way.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Mariah's story is still pretty solid. The big drawback of the later half is Diamondback.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Hand > Diamondback.

I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Field Mousepad posted:

That short film on YouTube is pretty good. Dirty laundry I think it was called?

The only good punisher thing that's been done besides dds2.

Punisher 89 with Dolph Lundgren is great but it's a very 80s action movie with requisite weirdness. It has an unemployed alcoholic actor informant named Shakes that speaks in iambic pentameter, and Louis Gossett Jr. using homophobia to escape from mobsters then stealing their pizza on the way out.

Also, the character in the comics was different back then, he was a lot more Catholic and refused to wear body armor for some reason. Some of that is reflected.

Xealot posted:

They will not do this. I'm preparing for 6 different scenes of, "you can't keep *killing* people, Frank!!" *Frank kills more people.*

That could be pretty entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8Kxu4Aseg&t=10s