Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

How much the 12post *need* a candelabra?

The blue/green one needs it a lot more than the green one. I've run it without them plenty, and I own a playset.

e: my monogreen was pretty much this list:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=65245

but replace kozilek and an all is dust with Ugins, and swap out a crop rot, into the north, and top for 3 ancient stirrings, and ulamog becomes newlamog.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

$600 depending on size of print run

$300-350.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sigma-X posted:

The blue/green one needs it a lot more than the green one. I've run it without them plenty, and I own a playset.

Does Magus of the Candelabra work as a substitute for it anywhere at all?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Not being able to activate on the turn it ETBs and dying to removal are pretty significant drawbacks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

UberJew posted:

i need something to accompany my guay prints on the wall and can't decide between nielsen's swords, mother of runes or enter the infinite

Nyx-fleece Ram.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

No, it's poo poo and not playable. Candle isn't a necessary function for the deck, it speeds it up by a turn or two which isn't typically critical. Not being able to use it the turn you cast it negates most of the function because it's a removal magnet. You don't run many creatures in the deck anyways, so you're typically getting a primetime for 2 lands and then losing it to StP, Ulamog is vindicate + gain life off their StP, etc.

In the monogreen version you have redundant ramp in the GSZs and into the norths, plus the ability to drop a forest to make it to turn 2 with a mana available, and you have pithing needles for wasteland, so you aren't typically being put back a turn. The blue version forgoes a lot of this redundancy and inevitability and resistance to wasteland in favor of trying to awkwardly jam force of will into the deck. I've played both versions and while it is a lot of fun to SnT primetime into a billion mana, the monogreen version seems to play much more reliably at the disadvantage of having a sideboard almost completely devoted to hating out combo.

I already posted the monogreen list which is the list anyone who doesn't already own candles should be running. u/g is not necessarily better and it's waaay more expensive, and trying to make a budget version of that instead of running the already-budget green version is a waste of effort.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kilo147 posted:

No P9 in eternal masters? Even MTGO got a P9 reprint. loving lame.

There's no reserved list on modo ding dong

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

Not being able to activate on the turn it ETBs and dying to removal are pretty significant drawbacks.

I figured but I've been considering putting it in an EDH deck :smaug:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Literally The Worst posted:

There's no reserved list on modo ding dong

Huh, didn't actually know that. Which makes it even more rubbish.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Yeap, you aren't "printing" new cards on MODO.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a fun thing to speculate about: With Diamond Mana a thing now, they could hypothetically do typed duals that also tap for (<>) to get around the Reserved List's similarity clause.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Chamale posted:

Here's a fun thing to speculate about : With Diamond Mana a thing now, they could hypothetically do typed duals that also tap for (<>) to get around the Reserved List's similarity clause.

But they won't. The spirit of the list is a thing they consider, stupidly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Here's a fun thing to speculate about : With Diamond Mana a thing now, they could hypothetically do typed duals that also tap for (<>) to get around the Reserved List's similarity clause.

They don't do loopholes and that would be strictly better, another thing they really don't like to do much

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kilo147 posted:

The point of the list is to not gently caress with the value of certain cards. Modo does not affect those cards because nothing is actually being printed. This is only rubbish if you're dumb.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please tell me someone has already tattooed that on their head.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
So there's zero reason for me not to just sell my Death and Taxes deck (or at least the manabase) and pick it back up once Eternal Masters is released, yeah?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

muon posted:

So there's zero reason for me not to just sell my Death and Taxes deck (or at least the manabase) and pick it back up once Eternal Masters is released, yeah?

Uh, have fun with that if they don't reprint Karakas and/or Port.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Yea but they seem like pretty easy includes. I might but into DnT on mtgo without the ports and wasteland and see what happens.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

Yea but they seem like pretty easy includes. I might but into DnT on mtgo without the ports and wasteland and see what happens.

Port is almost an auto-include because it's the most expensive card on MTGO but I'd be surprised by Karakas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Port was mentioned in that reddit thread where he overheard the vendors talking about legacy masters.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

suicidesteve posted:

I'll probably keep a playset of Karkasi as I'm a dumbass and have 7, but it seems pretty likely to be reprinted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Port at anything less than Mythic has a really good chance of loving with Limited doesn't it?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Port at anything less than Mythic has a really good chance of loving with Limited doesn't it?

It'd PROBABLY be okay at Rare. I mean would you take it over a good piece of removal pick one pack one?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Karakas will certainly be Mythic if it's in the set, which means the price is not likely to decline much if at all. Port could go either way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anglachel posted:

It'd PROBABLY be okay at Rare. I mean would you take it over a good piece of removal pick one pack one?

loving yes. I take the 50 dollar card over a lightning bolt every day. Especially at an FNM draft.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Karakas will certainly be Mythic if it's in the set, which means the price is not likely to decline much if at all. Port could go either way.

I still don't understand this. Why? It's a slightly better Plains in most games of limited. Why do people think it will be mythic, value aside?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Chain Lightning seems like a decent shot as well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

I still don't understand this. Why? It's a slightly better Plains in most games of limited. Why do people think it will be mythic, value aside?

Because FoW is mythic because gently caress you that's why.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

I would wager that a set like Eternal Masters will have a higher than average amount of legendary creatures.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

loving yes. I take the 50 dollar card over a lightning bolt every day. Especially at an FNM draft.

Well I mean if we are talking about how this card "effects the limited environment" then we have to pretend we won't all just rare draft all day everyday Masters products.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

anglachel posted:

Well I mean if we are talking about how this card "effects the limited environment" then we have to pretend we won't all just rare draft all day everyday Masters products.

Yeah I can't pretend that. My mind won't allow to pass up a real legacy card for a murderous cut even in fantasy situations.

Rare draft and if they say redraft walk the gently caress out with my rishadan port and fistful of garbage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Because FoW is mythic because gently caress you that's why.

That is not why actually

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Think its it worth it to bite the bullet on Jace, Vryn's Prodigy now when they're $80-ish?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Literally The Worst posted:

That is not why actually

It actually is. They/you can say whatever they/you want but reprinting an uncommon at mythic translates to "gently caress you."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It actually is. They/you can say whatever they/you want but reprinting an uncommon at mythic translates to "gently caress you."
No, it really doesn't.
Also Karakas is hideously unfun to play with/against if either player has legendaries.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sarmhan posted:

No, it really doesn't.

Yes, it really does. Give me one GOOD reason that FoW would be mythic in a limited print reprint only set that costs 2.5 times what a regular pack costs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I expect that the cards reprinted at rare will bring their single prices down considerably, those reprinted at mythic will stay about the same, and cards on the reserved list are going to go up uP UP because now the mtgfinance cabal knows without a doubt that Wizards will never have the balls to abolish the reserved list.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes, it really does. Give me one GOOD reason that FoW would be mythic in a limited print reprint only set that costs 2.5 times what a regular pack costs.
Because it's one of the most famous cards in Magic history, with a ton of history attached to it? If there's one card you're going to put at mythic to move packs in a legacy-reprint set, it's going to be the card that defines legacy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You mean the uncommon that they've said would be at least a rare by current standards? Which is getting printed in a set that will presumably contain modern power level cards?

Yeah I can't think of why they might not print that at UC clearly it's just spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know what else was an uncommon that nobody whined about being reprinted as a mythic? Sol Ring. Because it has a HUGE impact on the game. I don't know if you noticed but old WotC didn't exactly know what rarity cards should be. Tinker, for example, is one of the most broken cards of all time and is uncommon.

• Locked thread