Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
juror 4: not just a shithead but also an mba student

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what a maroon

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am Juror #4.

It was me all along.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

More Juror #4 shenanigans. Wishing this rear end in a top hat a nice long battle with cancer.

quote:

He expressed relief that he can now speak out freely, but he wasn't ready as of Friday morning to drop his anonymity.

Oh look, another loving moron who doesn't understand the first amendment. Put your name on it, you loving coward.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
2016 is probably creating like thousands of unibombers and I'm glad of it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

red19fire posted:

Oh look, another loving moron who doesn't understand the first amendment. Put your name on it, you loving coward.

Dude lives with his parents right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

red19fire posted:

I'd really love to drive out to Oregon to bounce a brick off the back of his head so it's probably a good thing I don't know who he is. Don't get me wrong I don't want to go to jail either, or I suppose subvert rule or law despite what fucko did.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd really love to drive out to Oregon to bounce a brick off the back of his head so it's probably a good thing I don't know who he is. Don't get me wrong I don't want to go to jail either, or I suppose subvert rule or law despite what fucko did.

You'll find out when he inks the book deal.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

The article makes it sound like the prosecution hosed up the jury instructions badly.

that's honestly even more disappointing to me. and distressingly plausible too, could totally see some cocky US attorney thinking he could just walk it in

god drat it

jBrereton posted:

Yeah when I think of sympathetic government I think "Mount Carmel" lol

i thought it was a good compromise between "wait 'em out" and "guns blazing"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder if one of the public defenders sneaked in some stricter language while the pro se's were getting their sov citizen craziness struck down.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoy juror 4 whining about how his studies suffered. As a student it surely would have been trivial to get out of jury duty unless he outright wanted to be there, right?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Casimir Radon posted:

More Juror #4 shenanigans. Wishing this rear end in a top hat a nice long battle with cancer.

So is Juror #4 sounds exactly like every rear end in a top hat arrogant business student that thinks he's on his way to dominate the world through his sheer "brilliance." Like he just does not process what he has helped unleash. I would not be surprised if he were leading the charge for Not Guilty because he thought he could "see the truth."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's honestly even more disappointing to me. and distressingly plausible too, could totally see some cocky US attorney thinking he could just walk it in

god drat it

i thought it was a good compromise between "wait 'em out" and "guns blazing"

What kind of instructions could be so awful that they'd allow a level of misunderstanding that would let the most incompetent terrorists still alive go free after the level of evidence they had?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoy juror 4 whining about how his studies suffered. As a student it surely would have been trivial to get out of jury duty unless he outright wanted to be there, right?

Being a student wasn't an allowed excuse in and of itself when I was called for jury duty. The school is required by law to accommodate it.

Geostomp posted:

What kind of instructions could be so awful that they'd allow a level of misunderstanding that would let the most incompetent terrorists still alive go free after the level of evidence they had?

They somehow got it into their head that there had to be an explicit intent in occupying the place to prevent federal employees from doing their job. Their intent instead was to protest FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OVERREACH!!!!!

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Oct 28, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Being a student wasn't an allowed excuse in and of itself when I was called for jury duty. The school is required by law to accommodate it.

I'm honestly surprised by that. Even with accommodations it seems like it'd be a pretty big negative to your experience, especially assuming you've moved on to primarily upper-level courses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm honestly surprised by that. Even with accommodations it seems like it'd be a pretty big negative to your experience, especially assuming you've moved on to primarily upper-level courses.

Its a pretty big disruption for a job too, but they're also required to accommodate it.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
If you don't want to jury duty its the easiest thing in the world to get out of. Just show up hungover/disheveled as gently caress for selection and take a nap in whatever room they sit you in until they tell you you can go home. Now you know my fool proof hobo strategy for getting out of jury duty you're welcome.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Karl Barks posted:

12 Dumbass Men

looks like they were no match for the MBA puppet master

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Most people are trying to avoid showing up to the court house at all.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Jose posted:

i'd forgotten that. them being interview on the jinx was incredible

"he a good boy, it was self defense!"

*completely ignores the fact that Durst literally decapitated the guy.*

They perfectly played into the idiots in the courtroom "ladies and gentlemen, does a man NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO DEFEND HIMSELF like a bunch of Frenchmen???"

Oh and even though he won the case, he began decapitating stray cats and putting their heads at the doorstep of the judge. The judge on a case he won.

:thumbsup: Texas jurors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do u know jenny posted:

*completely ignores the fact that Durst literally decapitated the guy.

Oh and even though he won the case, he began decapitating stray cats and putting their heads at the doorstep of the judge. The judge on a case he won.

Well, they did get the prosecution to admit that once the defense raises self defense theres a higher standard for the prosecution to disprove it. Or something like that. As I recall the lead sheriff's deputy/detective they interviewed had a bit of a "oh gently caress this might work" moment when the defense brought that up.

I look forward to his next trial where they'll probably use a defense like "the chucklefucks from the local PD had to rely on an HBO documentary to do the most basic investigative work, how can you possibly trust them?"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Feminasty Slut posted:

If you don't want to jury duty its the easiest thing in the world to get out of. Just show up hungover/disheveled as gently caress for selection and take a nap in whatever room they sit you in until they tell you you can go home. Now you know my fool proof hobo strategy for getting out of jury duty you're welcome.

Just shout nigga ruined everything (Obama), your out in 5 min.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, they did get the prosecution to admit that once the defense raises self defense theres a higher standard for the prosecution to disprove it. Or something like that. As I recall the lead sheriff's deputy/detective they interviewed had a bit of a "oh gently caress this might work" moment when the defense brought that up.

I look forward to his next trial where they'll probably use a defense like "the chucklefucks from the local PD had to rely on an HBO documentary to do the most basic investigative work, how can you possibly trust them?"

Well I mean he was never even jailed for torturing and dismembering like 8 of his dogs. Some guy did that not too long ago (albeit on videotape and he did it to like 12 of them) and got like 15 years in prison for it.

This gently caress got to spend 98% of his life outside of prison after torturing dogs, cats, killing 4 people (the one girl who disappeared from the store he used to own in Vermont), not to mention all the other non-violent stuff, and my friend from high school who sold lame drugs is doing 7 years.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Juror 4's college is a for-profit Christian college that is actually on the verge of shutting down because of lack of enrollment.

And holy gently caress he has no clue what constitutes a conspiracy charge, the loving prosecutors never explained what was required holy loving poo poo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm gonna need a count of goons moving Oconus because of the verdict. I've seen some threats but no action. Again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

do u know jenny posted:

They perfectly played into the idiots in the courtroom "ladies and gentlemen, does a man NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO DEFEND HIMSELF like a bunch of Frenchmen???"

im a ninja in my caddie

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

lol Yeah all these people just decided to camp out independently with no coordination between them whatsoever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Nice! posted:

im a ninja in my caddie

wait sorry i was thinking about Brian Deneke's death I don't know about the one you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Deneke#Trial_of_Dustin_Camp

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

the jury set these retards free literally because "the government is being mean to them" and purposefully threw out the one juror who didn't agree

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Juror 4's college is a for-profit Christian college that is actually on the verge of shutting down because of lack of enrollment.

And holy gently caress he has no clue what constitutes a conspiracy charge, the loving prosecutors never explained what was required holy loving poo poo

I think the prosecutors did? Here's a description of the juror instructions , key points:

quote:

"A conspiracy is a kind of criminal partnership – an agreement of two or more persons to engage in illegal conduct.''

"It is not enough that they simply met, discussed matters of common interest, acted in similar ways or perhaps helped one another."

A person can become a member of a conspiracy by "willfully participating'' in the unlawful plan with the "specific intent to advance or further some unlawful object or purpose of the conspiracy,'' even though the person doesn't have full knowledge of all the details of the conspiracy.

...(a bunch more)

They clearly just misunderstood the required burden of proof even with very comprehensive instructions, and their attendant refusal to vote guilty on any of the non-conspiracy charges is ridiculous. Maybe this is the fault of the federal attorneys, they shouldn't have tried to prosecute conspiracy because the average juror might be too dumb to understand the charge. Voir dire had nothing to do with it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

lol Yeah all these people just decided to camp out independently with no coordination between them whatsoever

That's what's ridiculous, the defense put the idea forward that there was no conspiracy, they just all happened to show up to the same place at the same time with guns; even though Ammon or Ryan is on tape, yelling into a bullhorn that they're going to go to the reserve and occupy it for years as a sovereign safe zone for patriots. I'm surprised the government didn't subpoena emails or facebook messages, or I'm sure they used public facebook walls to coordinate this thing.

Listening to the OPB podcast, I was worried about how soft handed the judge was in allowing courtroom shenanigans from the defendants. But i was kind of hoping the jury would see it for what it was, bullshit to distract from the actual facts of the case. How silly of us all, to have faith in the average american.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

red19fire posted:

That's what's ridiculous, the defense put the idea forward that there was no conspiracy, they just all happened to show up to the same place at the same time with guns; even though Ammon or Ryan is on tape, yelling into a bullhorn that they're going to go to the reserve and occupy it for years as a sovereign safe zone for patriots. I'm surprised the government didn't subpoena emails or facebook messages, or I'm sure they used public facebook walls to coordinate this thing.

Listening to the OPB podcast, I was worried about how soft handed the judge was in allowing courtroom shenanigans from the defendants. But i was kind of hoping the jury would see it for what it was, bullshit to distract from the actual facts of the case. How silly of us all, to have faith in the average american.

Well, you can retain faith in 8.3% of Americans. Unfortunately, the other 91.7% will make sure that the one rational guy gets kicked out of the room.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

red19fire posted:

The government did present evidence of them coordinating. There were three different plans and the bird refuge was just the option they went with. They presented the video evidence and all of the communications.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

I think the prosecutors did? Here's a description of the juror instructions , key points:

They clearly just misunderstood the required burden of proof even with very comprehensive instructions, and their attendant refusal to vote guilty on any of the non-conspiracy charges is ridiculous. Maybe this is the fault of the federal attorneys, they shouldn't have tried to prosecute conspiracy because the average juror might be too dumb to understand the charge. Voir dire had nothing to do with it.

conspiracy is not an odd or out there charge, it gets used literally every day all across the US. drug dealers are mostly the people who get popped for it cause that way the cops can roll up to a drug house, arrest everyone inside, and sort out who was actually part of the conspiracy to sell drugs back at the station. this poo poo is straight up prosecutor 101 and the fact that they hosed up this badly on it suggests that either their explanation to the jury or their jury selection were beyond hosed.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

...People who defend themselves against conservatives could get twenty years in prison, even if the conservative is a known, unrepentant murderer...
When you lie about this case in an attempt to pervert justice does it bring you satisfaction?

Mirthless posted:

yeah this sure seems like an implausible story given zimmerman's history and temperament

Man, you're really aching to kill people. Extra-judicial killings are a hosed up thing to be wishing for. It doesn't matter how plausible a story is, if you don't prove it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

When you lie about this case in an attempt to pervert justice does it bring you satisfaction?

He does raise a good point though. I can post story after story about someone non-fatally shooting at someone in a road rage incident and only getting 3 years or less in prison. Like it's really, really difficult to find a murder-free road rage shooting where someone got 20 years. Most I am finding are 3(!) years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they lock someone up for life for shooting bullets out of a moving vehicle because someone cut them off. But the lack of consistency is kinda weird.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

If you really want to see chalky whites walking free despite horrific crimes you need to look at rape/incest trials hth

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's entirely possible the judge was trying to send a message about vigilantism. Because the thing is that legally Zimmerman isn't a murderer. I mean he obviously is, but that's not how it works. (Also it looks like there was some other weird stuff with the defendant.)

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

conspiracy is not an odd or out there charge, it gets used literally every day all across the US. drug dealers are mostly the people who get popped for it cause that way the cops can roll up to a drug house, arrest everyone inside, and sort out who was actually part of the conspiracy to sell drugs back at the station. this poo poo is straight up prosecutor 101 and the fact that they hosed up this badly on it suggests that either their explanation to the jury or their jury selection were beyond hosed .

Was it though? This trial has been scrutinized from all sides, wouldn't it have been obvious that prosecutors were dropping the ball? The media observed the jury selection process, from what it looked like at the time it was the defense that was having trouble getting jurors excluded from the pool.

Similarly I posted a link already to a description of the jury instructions, though I haven't been able to find the instructions themselves. The instructions looked fine, but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know?

I'm genuinely interested to know if the prosecutors made a mistake. Right now it looks like the jury pulled from the general population of Oregon decided to nullify en masse, which implies widespread anti-federal government sentiment or inability to understand the law.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Oct 28, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

do u know jenny posted:

he didn' tjust decapitate the guy he hacked all his limbs off and they recovered every one except for the head that had the bullet wound lol

he's got aspergers though nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

The government did present evidence of them coordinating. There were three different plans and the bird refuge was just the option they went with. They presented the video evidence and all of the communications.

My impression of his statements is that this all got lost in the prosecution focusing on how bad the actual actions and reactions were.

Conspiracy is hard for jurors because it requires specific intent and the closing in particular should focus on the needed elements and how exactly they were proven.

Yes, these jurors were sympathetic to the bundys, but you wouldn't get all 12 going NG unless the prosecution really got lax in the opening and closing and essentially gave the strong sovcit jurors something to hang their hats on and argue.
Remember that the jury probably doesn't read or even fully understand the instructions, a big part of closing is essentially arguing what they are. It seems clear that the defense did this better.

Also, juror 11 was almost certainly kicked because the prosecution and defense agreed. Had one party disagreed, they probably would have interview the jurors in more detail to see what happened. When the prosecution, apparently assuming they'd win, agreed to the juror's removal, they put the final nail in this case's coffin.
This is the problem with 90%+ win rates, you get cocky and gently caress poo poo up.

Nocturle, this case has almost been entirely analysed by non-attorneys and the information we get has been filtered through them. See the guffawing about Mumford pissing of the judge where it was his strategy. It makes it very hard to determine what is going on, esp in voire where so much of it is about how questions are presented and no verbal cues.