Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bogart posted:

Word. Fair enough. I’m enjoying frontier defense again tho if anyone wants to ps4 it.

Your av loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It would be neat to see the Apex weapons get back ported to Titanfall. Prowler, a burstfire smg, attachment to the Double Take that makes it the Triple Take. Frontier Defense in a ruined arena as Blisk patches in “this is giving me ideas”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Duke posted:

It would be neat to see the Apex weapons get back ported to Titanfall. Prowler, a burstfire smg, attachment to the Double Take that makes it the Triple Take. Frontier Defense in a ruined arena as Blisk patches in “this is giving me ideas”

Indeed, tho the R99 ain't no R97...that's for sure

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Blind Duke posted:

Funny story there, technically the Double Take already shoots three projectiles, so it's more of a renaming than anything else.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

Funny story there, technically the Double Take already shoots three projectiles, so it's more of a renaming than anything else.

Yeah, wasn't that due to ping/tick rate and hitboxes originally in Tf2?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That reminds me that one of the tricks they used in TF1 (and I assume TF2) to make shooting feel good was expanding the hitbox/hitscan at long range. Bullets got 'fatter' as they traveled, so you didn't need precise aim to get hits at range. I don't know if it's placebo or what but I've always felt like this is really obvious on the L-STAR, which scores so many kills I didn't earn.

Or maybe this is just single player only and I'm imagining everything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XPV3bmDOaQ

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

In my headcanon Apex Legends is just after 2 happens and Cooper actually takes Blisk up on his offer(like i really wanted too).

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The Shame Boy posted:

In my headcanon Apex Legends is just after 2 happens and Cooper actually takes Blisk up on his offer(like i really wanted too).

well it does cannon happen after 2

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

Playing Apex Legends where you are a regular mook really makes you appreciate the universe lore about how fearsome titan pilots are.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Your av loving owns

Thanks Beanpole. :3:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

Playing Apex Legends where you are a regular mook

i thought you were an (apex) legend

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

Playing Apex Legends where you are a regular mook really makes you appreciate the universe lore about how fearsome titan pilots are.

Yeah, I'm kind of anticipating the slow burn hypothetical hype (hyp-hype?) that builds up the lore of pilots as something out of the ordinary. Next time we see a pilot reveal for a Tf game should be :krad:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've lost all 25 1v1's, only kills I've gotten in the 25 games I've played have been when I dropped an artillery strike on two squads.

Help me out here... do enemies have 1 magazine of health? 5 magazines of health? Do headshots do 500x damage as bodyshots? I can get the drop on somebody and fire two magazines and then they do a 180 and I'm dead

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've lost all 25 1v1's, only kills I've gotten in the 25 games I've played have been when I dropped an artillery strike on two squads.

Help me out here... do enemies have 1 magazine of health? 5 magazines of health? Do headshots do 500x damage as bodyshots? I can get the drop on somebody and fire two magazines and then they do a 180 and I'm dead

Drop a titan on them.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
It's my understanding that your base health is 100.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All of the damage feels really inconsistent but I imagine a lot of that has to do with them going full on stupid with everything having like 4 loot tiers and no real good visual indicators of what you are up against.

Imo it's a pretty bad game in general.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Same'ing the "I drop a full clip into someone, they turn around and wing me a few times and I die" experience

Tiered guns suck

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They should backport the Peacekeeper into Titanfall 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Moola posted:

Same'ing the "I drop a full clip into someone, they turn around and wing me a few times and I die" experience

Tiered guns suck

They aren't tiered I don't think? There are gold weapons which are either just normal ones with a full attachment kit, and one of two actually unique guns, but I think SMGs are just pretty bad and entirely outclassed by shotguns at their range.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All the attachments are tiered. But I think the bigger deal is that their is like 4 tiers of armor and it doesn't actually change the look of the character like other BR games. or if it does, I can't even tell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You don't know until you shoot them which is annoying

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Which is fun because its like, ah yes I have made an error *dies instantly with no recourse*

For the record I am enjoying this game but oddly I'm finding the shooting to be the worst part

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
This game badly needs a shooting range

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Moola posted:

Which is fun because its like, ah yes I have made an error *dies instantly with no recourse*

For the record I am enjoying this game but oddly I'm finding the shooting to be the worst part
I've been having to unlearn my TF2 habits (Alternator/Flatline with vertical recoil?!) but I'm all for games with higher TTK, though it's a fine needle to thread. I was OK with TF2's high lethality because of how mobile you were.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Apparently Apex Legends hasboosted the playercounts in TF2 across all platforms. Might be time to get into it again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

s.i.r.e. posted:

Apparently Apex Legends hasboosted the playercounts in TF2 across all platforms. Might be time to get into it again.

People are playing it again and for the first time! AL is giving TF2 a second life...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It doesn't help that a lot of the guns look very similar but behave drastically different

I'll often pick up a gun and it takes a few seconds to remember what range it's supposed to be used at

Like in pubg you see an AK and you know what to do with that before you have it equipped, but here I'll pick up a pistol and it will take a few seconds to remember this is actually a shotgun, or an SMG

Or ill have to keep looking at the name of my rifle to check if I'm using a sniper, assasult rifle or shotgun

And I played a lot of tf2 and remember the guns. But it was different when you were lovingly taking time to equip your dude before a match ya know

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is basically my list of issues with the game atm and why I'm having a lot of trouble enjoying it. Not saying it's all objectively bad but it's all stuff that really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe some of this stuff I'm wrong about and I just suck

-TTK feels all over the place because of there being so many armor tiers, none of which are visually represented like in other BR games. it just makes firefights feel inconsistent and bad.
-Many of the guns feel loving worthless. All SMGs, mozambique=, devotion and more. The base magazines feel way to small in general. What is up with 16 round SMG clips anyways?
-Gun feel is floaty. I find it way harder to aim than in most games including TF2
-Visual design is busy and audio design doesn't do a good job conveying important info like enemy footsteps and nearby gunfire feels muddled
-The map design is weird. The unclimbable mountains everywhere make everything flow so awkwardly.
-Loot feels way too sparse at times. More guns need to drop
-Why the gently caress does every single attachment have to be gun specific? Blackout does this so much better. It's so disappointing finding poo poo everywhere that I can't use
-Ammo should not take up inventory space. This feels like a huge step back after blackout.
-looting feels delayed and slow
-having to equip grenades and health also feels very clunky compared to Blackout

Also, some stuff I like about it.

-Titanfall aesthetic is way cooler and more coherent than other BR games. graphics are pretty good for a BR game
-Sliding down hills kicks rear end
-The hero shooter thing actually works pretty well
-Pinging. This needs to be in every BR game

Overall I still feel like it has potential, but there is a lot of stuff really dragging it down atm. And that's not even taking into account how janky it is right now.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
No gun in Apex is hitscan (I think? I haven’t tested the devotion). I can finally use my G2A3 (gently caress this G7 Scout nonsense) without feeling like a dirty non-projectile user. TF3 better not have any hitscan in it.

Also where’s my Volt, Respawn? Gimme!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Moola posted:

This game badly needs a shooting range

The tutorial level is a shooting range, and honestly one of the best I've seen. You can access it whenever you like.

veni veni veni posted:

All the attachments are tiered. But I think the bigger deal is that their is like 4 tiers of armor and it doesn't actually change the look of the character like other BR games. or if it does, I can't even tell.

When you shoot someone, the color of the numbers indicates their armor tier.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

plester1 posted:

When you shoot someone, the color of the numbers indicates their armor tier.
I would prefer some sort of visual beforehand though, but gotta sell cosmetics I guess. Especially since I'd rather turn of damage numbers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

plester1 posted:

The tutorial level is a shooting range, and honestly one of the best I've seen. You can access it whenever you like.

Cheers

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Moola posted:

Tiered guns suck

There aren't really tiered guns it's just that every automatic weapon in the game is trash. 100% of them(maybe not the devotion but the ammo for that is rather rare and I don't like it so I haven't really tested it). They're all total rear end. By the end game everyone is rocking purple armour and helmets because they're actually kinda common, they don't break and you can repair them to full very easily, so everyone has either found one or killed someone who found one. This means that everyone has twice as much health as standard, plus if you don't kill them in one engagement they pop full heals and are back in 15 seconds. Automatic weapons all seem to do damage in the 10-20 range and have ammo capacities in the 15-40 range, with sizable recoil. This means that you are not going to down someone in one magazine unless they move predictably. If they fire back with one of the semi-auto or burst guns, which have much lower recoil and do damage in the 40-90 range, they are going to kill you first because it's easier to keep their shots on target and you can pretty easily put 4 or 5 Wingman rounds into someone before they can magdump, reload, and magdump again. I say the Devotion is a possible exception because it shoots monstrously fast but the ammo for it is pretty scarce. I've seen people get deleted by it, though.

Basically what I'm saying is that the best guns that you can expect to reliably find are the Wingman and the Peacekeeper because you can easily chunk someone at mid-close range with a few shots from either of them and their ammo is common enough considering that they're both pretty efficient. Anything that fires light ammo is garbage and only marginally better than punching except the Scout which, while it sucks, can mount a sniper scope and serve as a pair of binoculars. Anything that fires energy ammo is impractical due to the scarcity of it, especially considering how fast the Devotion chews it up. Heavy ammo guns and Shotguns are the good guns that actually kill people, although the LMGs are traps that will eat all your ammo in exchange for not enough DPS to kill a guy with a wingman before he kills you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
My vote is Spitfire/Peacekeeper if you suck at clicking dudes, Wingman/EVA-8 if you are pro-click.

Light/Energy Ammo is a trap. :pwn:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

cock hero flux posted:

the LMGs are traps that will eat all your ammo in exchange for not enough DPS to kill a guy with a wingman before he kills you.

This. I've mag dumped a Spitfire into someone and hit most of my shots and didn't even break their armor. The LMG's are pretty bad. The Hemlok is by far the best gun (for me anyway), because you can set it o 3 round burst for close encounters or single shot to pick someone off at range. That and the Peacekeeper. That thing is a monster. I;ve gotten probably 80% of my kills with it and it kills me more often than any other gun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Aside from BOTW the only game I want to completely forget and experience again is Titanfall 2

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I imagine trying to translate the L-Star to Apex would have it consume energy ammo with an overheat mechanic instead of reloading. The main problem is not having people killed by it exploding into a fine mist. An essential part of the gun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

People are playing it again and for the first time! AL is giving TF2 a second life...

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

bear is driving! posted:

This. I've mag dumped a Spitfire into someone and hit most of my shots and didn't even break their armor. The LMG's are pretty bad. The Hemlok is by far the best gun (for me anyway), because you can set it o 3 round burst for close encounters or single shot to pick someone off at range. That and the Peacekeeper. That thing is a monster. I;ve gotten probably 80% of my kills with it and it kills me more often than any other gun.

I'm sorry, but you didn't mag dump a spitfire into someone. You missed a lot if you didn't break armor. Spitfire does 20 dmg a shot. Max possible hp 200. At most you need ten rounds of a 35 round mag to connect to down someone.

Spitfire is one of the most op mid to short range guns in the game.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 11, 2019