Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xzzy posted:

Maybe it's your connection that's the problem then. :colbert:
Yeah, my connection is usually a travesty. Even so, with ~such wide parameters~ now there should be a game with more people th-

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There are only 9 people playing clash right now
Durrrrrr. My bad :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/oEoQruo.gifv

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

cvnvcnv posted:

Ehh, who cares how many people you start with when you end getting too many medals to see them all

The point is that when you start 4v5, that means that 3 people are going to get stuck filling in spots after the game starts, which is Bad. Also, people are more likely to leave mid match if they see that they're short handed, causing even more people to be forced into joining a game after its started.

Its just a lovely user experience for people and I'm glad that they took steps to (hopefully) address it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Bungie in damage control mode.

Good. Cunts need to learn the hard way so they don't try and pull this poo poo in destiny 2.

All it took was 70% of the playerbase leaving.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder why they wanted SBMM so much though, like what did it help with

Because lol ain't nobody MLGing Destiny

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Destiny is over two years old. Players would be leaving even if you got a blow job every time you started the game up.

Messed up matchmaking certainly didn't help the situation, but it's not solely responsible for a 70% drop, assuming that figure is even real.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

moist turtleneck posted:

In theory, SBMM puts people on an even playing field. You won't find yourself completely outclassed by players so far above your skill level you can't do anything, and you'll be up against players who shoot back about as well as you do yourself so it's always a fun challenge to kill them. Again, in theory.

xzzy posted:

Messed up matchmaking certainly didn't help the situation, but it's not solely responsible for a 70% drop, assuming that figure is even real.

That's being generalized from the Trials numbers, I don't think anyone here knows how they relate to the rest of the game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

moist turtleneck posted:

Because lol ain't nobody MLGing Destiny

Lots of people complained about getting stomped in y1 pvp, it's almost like the proper way to handle it was to have a social mode and a competitive mode as opposed to telling everyone "stop complaining it's not a mode for trying hard" followed by making it a mode for trying hard.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

Destiny is over two years old. Players would be leaving even if you got a blow job every time you started the game up.

Agreed.

All games have a natural drop off after content. But this was pretty drastic.

Maybe Activision put a foot up their rear end

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It does seem really odd that they'd reverse course so hard but I mean, I haven't played in loving weeks after dealing with an endless string of lovely lobbies, including the ones I was winning. It just stopped being fun.

I have a squad of cheesfactory level killers I can play with if I want guaranteed victories but that's not what I want. I want good connections.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The solution is for people to stop being pussies and I dont really mean that as a throw away line.

I started playing shooters online with counter strike. Where you just played on a server with the best connection and it was a mixed bag of dudes stomping or getting stomped or whatever and you had to play better or more casually depending on your teams and theirs.

I fully acknowledge that even competitive sports have weight classes and poo poo to ensure as much fairness as possible but catering to tears over a video game because someone is poo poo is so loving dumb. Its so much worse if ruins the quality of matches.

I'll test the match making out tonight i suppose.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It does seem really odd that they'd reverse course so hard but I mean, I haven't played in loving weeks after dealing with an endless string of lovely lobbies, including the ones I was winning. It just stopped being fun.

I have a squad of cheesfactory level killers I can play with if I want guaranteed victories but that's not what I want. I want good connections.

Pretty much.

I stopped playing when I no longer had any fun. The first IB was ok because I usually either played with Rap in a stacked crew or with a stack of bads and had an okish connected lobby 50% of the time, but I couldnt solo drop and didnt have a wide enough network to run as a six because most guys didnt want to play 6s in a laggy mess.

So i tried playing threes with a few guys and they didnt have fun because we'd run into god squads.

All the problems with people wanting to play as a 6 and win more often came about because of the sbmm so it became a bit of a self fufilling prophecy.

Better players played only with good players so more people got stomped more often so complained more.

With cbmm if you solo you get one or two games of getting raped in sbmm if you roll solo you either get raped by a 6 man or you get laggy af lobbies.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

That being said I am sure glad I have every single trials weapon including all the adept weapons and a full set of ornamented warlock armor

Agreed, and same

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

Players would be leaving even if you got a blow job every time you started the game up.
I'm not so sure about that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well see those of us with hot coder wives don't need our premium gaming console made by Microsoft to give head.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Drain 001 posted:

I'm not so sure about that.

I wouldnt have stopped playing if the match making wasnt hosed.

I could live with rng bullets if connections werent cunted.

I spent like 180 bucks on 3 games to try and find some fun in videogames again.

And while tittyfalls and cod are fun enough. Destinys pvp was still more fun when it was on song.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Matches are still kinda laggy.

But we found matches quicker and we played against more plebs.

So it's a slight improvement.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CheeseFactory posted:

Matches are still kinda laggy.

But we found matches quicker and we played against more plebs.

So it's a slight improvement.

I'll be more interested to see how it goes at say 7pm tonight when you would think numbers would be highest.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man all of deej's tweets today are like "don't get too excited about matchmaking! You might not like it!!!"

what a turd

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Man all of deej's tweets today are like "don't get too excited about matchmaking! You might not like it!!!"

what a turd

Haha what a flog.

"Well you guys forced us to do this. So you can't blame us for anything bad ever again!!!!"

Even though their changes to SBMM are probably ever so slight.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
So I'm closing in on 40 with my Titan was wondering if there is an accepted best class for PVE or PVP as I want to focus on one subclass first

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

HotBobaloo posted:

So I'm closing in on 40 with my Titan was wondering if there is an accepted best class for PVE or PVP as I want to focus on one subclass first

Striker for PvP
Defender has the most utility in group PvE.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Are there any recommended activities for a fresh 40 or gear to help get me started? When should I grab one of these class armors that give me a bonus to Vanguard rep

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Also trade a legendary class item engram to Shiro in the iron temple for a 350 class item, that's a big jump. Other things you should do; gjallerhorn and khvostov quests for 350 weapons. buy a 350 special weapon if you have the rank/marks. Imo ghosts/class items are a waste because the game poops them at you in faction packages.

Archons forge also poops ghosts, artifacts, and class items all the way up to 400. Unfortunately everything that drops is tied to your current light level. So if you're 350 the game will only give you, at max, 355 stuff. So just play whatever you want and buy items to round out your current gear. Do raids when you get high enough. There's probably a better powerlevelling guide but I'm phonepostong :(

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'm curious.
Does anyone actually use the Khvostov, Gjhally or Iron ghjally anymore?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Lol no they're for infusion

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I'm curious.
Does anyone actually use the Khvostov, Gjhally or Iron ghjally anymore?

Every random in strikes uses gjally yes

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Every random in strikes uses gjally yes

Randoms in strikes generally use the burn set for whatever last week's burn was.
1 in every 5 teams I get has maybe one guy with a loving brain using the current burn.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
who actually runs strikes and why? beyond chasing a better treads or grasp and having to farm the keys to do that I can't really think of a reason to. I guess if you feel like running yourself ragged for an LDR?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I do one a week for the package :shrug:

I wonder if they'll add new skeleton key drops when they add new strikes. Probably not since it's like 2 that already have them huh?

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 9, 2016

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Did the matchmaking changes go into effect already? Because playing today I had more connection issues with other players and got dumped into more half over matches than ever before. It sounds like what I got was the exact opposite of what they said they wanted to fix.

Side note: whoever came up with the design for all the Iron Lord weapons is awesome and I love the look of every single one of them and want to collect all of them. Even if I won't use them. I just want to look at all the pretty weapons.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SaturdayKnight posted:

Did the matchmaking changes go into effect already? Because playing today I had more connection issues with other players and got dumped into more half over matches than ever before. It sounds like what I got was the exact opposite of what they said they wanted to fix.

Side note: whoever came up with the design for all the Iron Lord weapons is awesome and I love the look of every single one of them and want to collect all of them. Even if I won't use them. I just want to look at all the pretty weapons.

They definitely did. I only had one match tonight where there were serious red bar issues (which of course was the only one we lost with the top two dudes on the other team being teleporting jugg garrison titans) and the quality of the matches seemed better.

I purposefully ran plan C all night, as it's the ultimate barometer of a crispy connection...and it was doing work all night.

I might actually play this dead gay game again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

One of my mates who streams put up a youtube vid and said the lobby quality has been massively improved. Occasional red bar opponents but by in large much better. Felt less bullshit in terms of deaths and his handcannon felt crisper.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SaturdayKnight posted:

More lag. More waiting. More getting dropped into unconscionably asinine stomp lobbies, omg the goddamn motherfucking cocksucking drop-ins.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

When it worked it felt better, but the problem is that it worked less. More games had terrible red bar monsters, more games were mercy ruled, more games dropped me into an impossible und lopsided match in progress.

I enjoyed it more than I have recently, but the bad parts got worse, though the good parts seem to have gotten better. Instead of always being mediocre, it could be great or it could be terrible now.

Now I get it, the RNG'ed my chances for enjoying crucible. Maybe I'll get a good match, maybe I won't. How meta.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I have a sneaky feeling that the top of the mountain is getting a bit of relief from the insanity and the above average players are getting a taste of what the former have been dealing with as more of them find themselves pulled into weird lobbies (imagine every game was like that)

all I know is I played a little over 2 hours and got all the bounties and the shaxxfall done and had one lobby that was garbage, one that was a bit weird but it was probably me just being the odd connection out in an otherwise solid lobby and 6 crispy lobbies.

3 weeks ago when I last played pvp that would have been inverted

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 9, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My sneaky feeling is the people unhappy with the update are the red bars we've raging against for the past 10 months.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

xzzy posted:

My sneaky feeling is the people unhappy with the update are the red bars we've raging against for the past 10 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I went 12-3 for the evening, not bad since rift is gay as gently caress. And I looked good doing it. Easily one of the top two best looking players in the lobby

• Locked thread