Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

apologies in advance, but i will continue to die on the hill that the first season was utter hot garbage. i legit don't understand how people who are fans of the simpsons like that season as almost nothing that people actually like about the simpsons is even recognizable. i think season 2 is pretty bad as well, but at least it improved enough that i can give it a pass. but season 1? :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All the “Bart’s imagination” segments in S1 (like the math train nightmare in Bart the Genius, or monster Nelson in Bart the General) were super cool and way out there animation-wise

Then they just stopped doing that

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Mr Interweb posted:

apologies in advance, but i will continue to die on the hill that the first season was utter hot garbage. i legit don't understand how people who are fans of the simpsons like that season as almost nothing that people actually like about the simpsons is even recognizable. i think season 2 is pretty bad as well, but at least it improved enough that i can give it a pass. but season 1? :barf:

I like season 1, but admittedly I haven't watched it in years. I remember watching the episodes when they originally aired when I was a kid though, so there's a ton of nostalgia involved.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Eh! Frank posted:

I like season 1, but admittedly I haven't watched it in years. I remember watching the episodes when they originally aired when I was a kid though, so there's a ton of nostalgia involved.

Complete unrelated but I hate the song your avatar is from. Like, vehemently detest it. Also in every interview ever, cyriak seems like the world's biggest wanker. I still like his animation but good lord.

I just had to say that. Carry on.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

AHH F/UGH posted:

Complete unrelated but I hate the song your avatar is from. Like, vehemently detest it. Also in every interview ever, cyriak seems like the world's biggest wanker. I still like his animation but good lord.

I just had to say that. Carry on.

Sparks are a really love em/hate em kind of band, they ride that thin line between catchy and annoying. They're one of my favorite bands, but even then I can't listen to them if I'm in a crabby mood, like if I'm stuck in traffic.

Don't think I've ever seen any actual interviews with cyriak, but he's a goon so makes sense he'd be a huge wanker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edgar Wright was working on a Sparks documentary and put up a big playlist on Spotify. Thanks for reminding me to check when it comes out, looks like it's premiering at the end of the month.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mr Interweb posted:

There's nothing wrong with not liking season 1. It's your opinion.

The strongest episodes really do have it, and it's interesting to watch the show grow. Look at Krusty Gets Busted.

You have a well plotted story with lots of good little jokes. You have the fantastic Kelsey Grammar playing Bob to perfection. You have some creative choices like starting each act with a giant face. The show found its footing.

There's a lot of sharp writing. Take Homer's Odyssey after Homer gets the stop sign installed - "they're wrong if they think I'm going to stop at that sign!" It's really clever.

But it is also rough. It has some pacing choices. Too many episodes rely on Homer and Marge being on the skids. But by the end, they got there.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

S1 Simpsons is rough but it's infinitely more watchable than the last seventeen years of the show.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No there's no good reason ever why you should go with "rejected Pelswick designs" as your art style.

I had to look this up because it sounded familiar. It turns out that I did actually watch some of it, but thought they were episodes of John Callahan's other cartoon, Quads!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

S1 Simpsons is rough but it's infinitely more watchable than the last seventeen years of the show.

Yeah, in the overall season-by-season rankings, S1 would probably now end up somewhere in the lower end of the top half.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 1 is really good. I will always defend it. As the previous poster said, it's miles above modern Simpsons, but I also think its stories, jokes, and its utter weirdness as it tried to find its footing puts it up there with any other classic Simpsons season.

I used to think it wasn't as good, but I did a rewatch of season one a year or so ago and it was so much better than I thought.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Season 1 is bad but fascinating in a way.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

As a standalone, S1 is ok to good, definitely not perfect. But it is incredibly difficult to overstate how important S1 is in terms of shattering the standard sitcom norms, especially as an animated prime-time program that wasn't made for babies or kids.

S1 gets a really bad rap because of comparisons to the improved S2 and the sublime S3-S8 that followed. Of course it's going to look bad compared to those, but for 1989-1990, it was incredible. In hindsight, its janky as gently caress and weird as mentioned earlier, but it's got its own charm.

gently caress Some Enchanted Evening though, even after getting cleaned up and pushed to the end of the season, that ep is hot garbage through and through.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Last Chance posted:

Season 1 is really good. I will always defend it. As the previous poster said, it's miles above modern Simpsons, but I also think its stories, jokes, and its utter weirdness as it tried to find its footing puts it up there with any other classic Simpsons season.

I used to think it wasn't as good, but I did a rewatch of season one a year or so ago and it was so much better than I thought.

Yeah there’s absolutely a reason people saw it as like boundary pushing tv.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It does make me weirdly nostalgic in a way no other early season does. Krusty gets Busted is worth a watch.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's hard to overstate how conservative network TV was when the Simpsons started. lots of things that we think of as normal TV fare would've been completely unthinkable, and the fact that it was a cartoon both gave it more freedom and less (won't someone think of the children). conservatives were outraged. GHW Bush insulted the show in a speech.

at the same time, the show itself was more conservative. the first season is just a sitcom. the oafish father is in charge. the mother is caring and mostly passive. the girl is the voice of reason. the boy is... well, he's full of beans. also there is a baby.

there is not yet any sign that one day Homer Simpson will get into a fistfight with a fighter pilot at the aquarium and that in that fistfight Homer will use starfish as throwing stars

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Here's how bad The Simpsons is now, I was reading this thread before going to sleep and had a dream about a new episode where Bart wore some Jnco jeans to school and discovered to his horror that there was zero crotch bulge and the girls were laughing at him for having a tiny dick and he spends the rest of the episode trying to prove otherwise. So I woke up and had to google "bart simpson jnco jeans" to see if I dreamt it up or whether I was remembering a post in this thread.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No I remember that episode as well. Around Season 25ish iirc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now we're just living that South park episode

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Listen to the commentary on the DVDs, they have really great stuff about visual experiments that didn't go anywhere and design in general. One concept was that any character who wasn't in the scene was going to appear in pictures in the background.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Anyone have an archive of the commentaries or do I need to get my hands on the dvds again and break out handbrake?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/39t7TQ2mymA

(Skip to 5:44:48 for a rapid-fire list of hundreds of episode titles which are definitely made up)

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 26, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emgeejay posted:

https://youtu.be/39t7TQ2mymA

(Skip to 5:44:48 for a rapid-fire list of hundreds of episodes which are definitely made up)

No

Here's the synopsis of his worst ranked episode, Love is a Many-Strangled Thing from Season 17.

quote:

After saving Mr. Burns' life, Homer wins tickets to a NFL game between the Springfield Atoms and the Miami Dolphins, and takes the whole family. During the game, everybody starts to dance in front of the screen, but Bart does not want to dance, saying "Everybody Dance Now" is 'a little bossy' for his liking. Homer tries to make him dance by tickling him, but he inadvertently humiliates Bart in front of the stadium crowd when he tickles Bart until he wets himself. To make matters worse, the stadium owners take pity on Bart and try to dry his shorts off by opening the roof, but Russian spy satellites capture the image of Bart with wet shorts, leading to widespread humiliation on the Internet, and an invasion by Russia, who see his urine-soaked shorts as a sign of American weakness.

Later that night, Marge scolds Homer for hurting Bart's feelings, and encourages him to enroll in a fathering enrichment class taught by therapist Dr. Zander. During the class, Homer casually mentions that he often strangles Bart for his mischievous behavior. Shocked to learn of Homer's violence towards Bart, Dr. Zander conducts a series of treatments in the next session. Dr. Zander's friend, the towering basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, teaches Homer what it feels like to be young, small, and helpless by strangling him mercilessly all the time, even going as far as letting his friends strangle Homer as well.

Unfortunately, the therapy works too well and Homer can no longer strangle Bart, even when the boy misbehaves, because he is traumatized by the therapeutic session. Realizing that the anger management sessions have turned Homer into a pushover, Bart takes advantage of him and becomes a school bully, as the school can no longer count on Homer's aggressiveness to protect them from Bart.[1] Appalled by Bart's abuse towards Homer, Marge decides to take Bart to Dr. Zander to change his ways, but to her shock, she finds out that Zander has become homeless due to the current economic downturn. Marge begs Dr. Zander to fix Bart and Homer for $23 and a can of beans, and Zander accepts.

Dr. Zander takes Bart and Homer on a trip while Marge and Lisa spend their time watching sad horse movies. During their trip, Zander tries several exercises to encourage Homer to have confidence in Bart but, unfortunately, Bart abuses Homer's ignorance and enjoys when he gets hurt, much to Zander's frustration. The ultimate test for Bart's and Homer's relationship is that Bart must save his father from being hanged in a tree, but Bart is more focused on text-pranking Moe than looking out for Homer's welfare. Dr. Zander, realizing just how annoying Bart is, decides to kill him, but Bart manages to free Homer, who saves him. In revenge for Zander's behavior, Homer and Bart sue the psychologist, and are awarded his sole remaining possession: a hole in the large tree he lives in, a place where Homer and Bart finally reconcile and bond.

Second-worst:

quote:

The Simpsons are at a Little League Baseball game and Bart catches a fly ball, pushing the Springfield Isotopes into the championships. The next day, Marge is shopping at a department store, but Homer is tired and cannot find a place to sit - so he lies down on a mattress and falls asleep. When he wakes up, everybody is staring at him; he instantly exclaims his love for the mattress and manages to sell five. The store manager hires him as a mattress salesman.

Springfield is playing Shelbyville in the championship and leading 5-2 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, but Shelbyville has the bases loaded. When their batter hits a pop up towards Bart, he drops the ball and repeatedly fails to pick it up - letting all four runners score and thus giving Shelbyville the 6-5 victory. The crowd turns against Bart, who flees the stadium. Chief Wiggum offers him a ride to safety, but drives him back inside the stadium to let people throw food at him; Bart is humiliated and once again becomes the town's outcast.

At Homer's new job, the Lovejoys approach him with a sex problem, so Homer sells them a new mattress. The Lovejoys buy it, but bring it to the Simpsons house the next day with their problem unresolved. As Homer writes them a refund check, they begin making out on his and Marge's mattress, and trade their new mattress for it. That night, when Homer and Marge are unsuccessfully trying to have sex, Homer admits he traded their mattress.

Homer and Marge sneak in to the Lovejoys' home to steal back their mattress, but have sex on it until the Lovejoys return and catch them. Reverend Lovejoy solves the problem Solomon-style by cutting the mattress in half diagonally and gives one half to Homer and Marge. On the way Homer convinces Marge to drive behind a billboard where they try to have sex as they did on their honeymoon with the same bum watching them.

Bart's humiliation goes on as Bill and Marty tell everyone on the radio, and Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney sing a song about it called Bart Stinks, while the townspeople continue to mock and boo Bart. Lisa tries to cheer him up by taking him to see an old baseball star (Joe La Boot) who dropped a fly ball in the 1943 World Series but still grew up to be rich and famous, but after La Boot learns who Bart is, he makes everybody in the building boo him, making him cry. The next morning Lisa awakes to find a deranged Bart has spray-painted "I HATE BART SIMPSON" all over the town—including a water tower. As Bart hovers by the edge, he jumps. A shocked La Boot tries to catch him, but misses, and Bart is knocked unconscious.

He survives and is treated by Dr. Hibbert at a hospital. When the angry townspeople outside chant "Bart sucks!" over and over, Marge, who has had enough of Bart being treated so horribly, lambastes them for their actions. The entire town quickly apologizes to Bart and agree to do the game over. After 78 tries, Bart catches the ball, winning the game.

60 years later, a 70-year-old Milhouse nearly lets it slip to a 70-year-old Bart that the game was faked. Bart cries again, and the ghosts of Homer and Marge watch him taunt Milhouse.

Third worst is the Lady Gaga one.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 26, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PostNouveau posted:

No

Here's the synopsis of his worst ranked episode, Love is a Many-Strangled Thing from Season 17.

Second-worst:

ahaha. That sounds like it could have been funny up until the third paragraph when it suddenly takes one of those baffling rightward turns like we should have seen coming with stuff like the end of Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song when PRAYER IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL was seen to be a comically overblown thing to worry about

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The mattress plot was ripped off of a Family Guy episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't watch any of that video but the guy seems biased against the mean-spirited Simpsons episodes because he has Kill Gill in 4th worst and that one was alright especially for a later season episode and 5th worst is Homer Simpsons in Kidney Trouble which is a Season 10 one!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think people hate Kidney Trouble because it's one of the earliest episodes in the downturn period where Homer is just an unrepentant arsehole for little to no reason, and the ball just rolled on from there for years. I definitely remember seeing many episodes that I thought were worse, not that it's good.

I think I saw Kill Gil once and thought it was bad, but perhaps not outstandingly bad. I don't think I've actually ever seen the complete episodes of the top three, but they're so infamous that I'm aware of them being particularly awful.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looking back, it's definitely one of the earlier glimpses of Jerk-rear end Homer.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Kidney Trouble would definitely have been my pick for the worst episode ever at the time it aired. Nowadays I don't think it would make the bottom 50. There's some decent gags in the first act at least.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

J-Spot posted:

Kidney Trouble would definitely have been my pick for the worst episode ever at the time it aired. Nowadays I don't think it would make the bottom 50. There's some decent gags in the first act at least.

Looking at the episode list, there are a few competitors imo: When You Dish Upon a Star, The Trouble with Trillions, Lisa the Simpson (controversial inclusion but I was never a fan of it), All Singing All Dancing and Another Simpsons Clip Show if they count... It's definitely up there though, considering that it was the 211th episode.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 27, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Some Enchanted Evening gave us this clip and it's so smooth and well-timed that I forgive whatever else is in that episode.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Das Boo posted:

Some Enchanted Evening gave us this clip and it's so smooth and well-timed that I forgive whatever else is in that episode.

It's a good bit, and Penny Marshall was great as Ms Botz. It's almost certainly the worst episode of season 1 (though I'm not a big fan of Homer's Night Out either) but there are little things that stopped me from listing it in my post above.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PostNouveau posted:

No

Second-worst:

Are you sure these are actually episodes? Like, these are real? These plots sound terribly fake and I can't believe someone would actually write them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are you sure these are actually episodes? Like, these are real? These plots sound terribly fake and I can't believe someone would actually write them.

Copy-and-pasted right off Wikipedia. I remember the one with Bart jumping off the water tower.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

In some ways they were pretty ambitious with the animation in that episode and I feel like it largely didn't work, but that scene is pretty good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Lisa the Simpson

This episode is perfectly cromulent and you're out of your mind.

poo poo, even the musical clip-show episode has that Paint Your Wagon bit.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 27, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Das Boo posted:

My favorite part is that her animation is so good, you don't notice bart is almost only one drawing

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

my favourite recurring bit in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari