Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis

sb hermit posted:

:hfive: mudslide buddies

hopefully this means I won't get smoked out this year, knock on wood.

I'm fortunate to be living nearer the water, so we rarely get smoke but we do get the breeze!

Driving down the continent with a pistol in her lap
Followed by a handsome man who says his name is Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

And yet, not a King Soupers

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

And yet, not a King Soupers

I can't believe you've done this.

more falafel please

forums poster

Mormon Nailer posted:

It's soup in a bread bowl and I will fight Ryan North, noted giant red Canadian, in the parking lot of a King Soopers about this.

you don't have to do that, all you have to do is trick him into getting into a pit while it's raining and he has his dog Chompsky with him, but take away his phone

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

you don't have to do that, all you have to do is trick him into getting into a pit while it's raining and he has his dog Chompsky with him, but take away his phone

I would never do that to Chompsky because I love him.

Ryan, though, is my enemy as he stole all of my tall. I need it back.

Ryan is cool as gently caress and I hope he comes and posts with us; I miss him v much and I want to see my comics friends again soon.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

more falafel please

forums poster

Mormon Nailer posted:

I would never do that to Chompsky because I love him.

Ryan, though, is my enemy as he stole all of my tall. I need it back.

Ryan is cool as gently caress and I hope he comes and posts with us; I miss him v much and I want to see my comics friends again soon.

yeah I haven't met him but I'm glad that everyone I know who does know him seems to agree that his online persona as A Very Nice Young Man is just his actual personality

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Mormon Nailer posted:

Ryan is cool as gently caress.

Hah! I never met him in person, but I used to work the support desk for their webhost once upon a time and every one of his (very rare) tickets was a delight.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Some part of my brain just likes going to big stores and looking at the vast array of goods. I don't even necessarily want anything, but like... Just look at how many things are in the world!

Ass-penny

Who the gently caress is Adam Driver?

Ryan North is cool and I like his comic, even if I don't read it often.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

alnilam

Ryan North owns, many years ago i used to read his comic every day but i haven't in years and it's nice to see that it's still good.

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

Ryan North owns, many years ago i used to read his comic every day but i haven't in years and it's nice to see that it's still good.

i'm one of those people who started using google reader in 2007 or something and then when it died i switched to feedly and just never stopped. there are dozens of us who still use rss, dozens i tell you

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

hard same

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If you ever want to see Ryan North in the wild, shake a flannel shirt covered in maple syrup in the woods outside Toronto.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also when a couple of my friends got married years ago, he was in the wedding party and he was taller than everyone by a full 30cm leading me to believe that he's from the fabled race of ginger giants that inhabited the old North above Nova Scotia.

BoldFrankensteinMir

kalel posted:

is there a byob movie thread? I really want to rant and rave about how good dune 2021 is

We do have a movie thread for watching free movies twice a week on Youtube, but there's never been a whole lot of just general movie chat in there.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Technical question for y'all: is there still an image size threshhold for threads? I know we don't have to worry about breaking tables or warning people on a 56k connection anymore, but would it be a problem if you were loading like, say, 50 full HD images at 2.5 MB a piece per page?

I ask because over in the LP forum I just discovered that 700 pixel width is the maximum image size for their off-site archive, which is nuts because that means the largest 16:9 images they can use are the decrepitly old 640x360 nHD standard. That means I spent 5 frigging years producing 768x432 materials none of which qualified for archival, and now I'm thinking I need to figure out what the actual standards are site-wide because my assumptions have been way off.

Sig by Heather Papps

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
i don't think there's a rule but i hate when people do that (dozens of images raw from their camera) cause data caps are still a thing in my world and it puts loading threads in the same category as streaming video

your example is 125mb!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
When I want to post raw size I'll link off-site. Are you concerned about mass-resizing the images (tons of ways to do that) or just the process of changing what you've already posted?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
My buddy films for a real estate company at the Lake of the Ozarks. They filmed a haunted house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_3-sDSOQCI

xcheopis

Ugh, stupid sinuses

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hard same. I'm on that post-nasal drip. Which is not as cool as the drip the kids these days talk about.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Viginti Septem posted:

When I want to post raw size I'll link off-site. Are you concerned about mass-resizing the images (tons of ways to do that) or just the process of changing what you've already posted?

Mostly the hassle of mass-resizing, because I'm not the only person contributing I was trying to keep the process as simple as possible. We haven't posted anything yet so I'm glad it came up now, I'll have to change all of 15 .pngs on a test page.

Now that I think about it we were optimizing for web viewing anyway so yeah, it's not a huge deal to scale down at that stage. Literally just one more line on the instructions sheet.

pnac attack posted:

i don't think there's a rule but i hate when people do that (dozens of images raw from their camera) cause data caps are still a thing in my world and it puts loading threads in the same category as streaming video

your example is 125mb!

I didn't even think about that! I'm so used to just pushing gigantic amounts of data all day anything less than like 10mb I thought was negligable, but then I never read the forums on my phone, and of course that's common, duh. What would you say is a reasonable amount of data to ask readers to deal with per page?

Thank you all for the insights!

-Edited because I am terrible at math

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 25, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

xcheopis

Also, I hate filling out spreadsheets that someone else has formatted and they format WRONG. It's all wrong, why would you do this.

Bingo Bango

awww yeah, it's yarn washing night yobbers. gonna get these skeins good and clean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bingo Bango posted:

awww yeah, it's yarn washing night yobbers. gonna get these skeins good and clean

Lemme see that spinning!!!!!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also I just took delivery of additional fleeces.

Please don't tell M, there's... There's a lot. Amor 50 Rambouillet, about 20 Clun Forest, a few Churros, and a BUNCH of Cormo. I think I counted 83 bundles of Cormo.

M is gonna be maaaaad at all the work I made for us. Thankfully I don't have to spin it all (but gods, I want to...)

more falafel please

forums poster

i made dashi and furikake and will in a little bit embark on making a miso soba noodle soup. i haven't really ever done much japanese cooking so hopefully i'm doing it right. the dashi tastes like stock, once it's got some salt in it. i'm not sure about the furikake, i might have put too much soy sauce in it. but it tastes good!

Bingo Bango

Mormon Nailer posted:

Lemme see that spinning!!!!!

we've got some VT worsted double ply (the longer skeins) and some vintage norwegian wool. The VT yarn is probably from around the time I was born and was for a project later abandoned by my mom, and the other stuff is probably my grandmothers from like the 80s?

I've got a giant rubbermaid bin filled with yarn from my mom and grandmother that has been living in a variety of basements for the past 30 or so years and a lot of it is really lovely, it just stinks and makes everyone in the house sneeze when I unearth it.

Bingo Bango

I know I've finally settled in to the new house because I've busted out the yarn swift and the yarn cake winder

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bingo Bango posted:

we've got some VT worsted double ply (the longer skeins) and some vintage norwegian wool. The VT yarn is probably from around the time I was born and was for a project later abandoned by my mom, and the other stuff is probably my grandmothers from like the 80s?

I've got a giant rubbermaid bin filled with yarn from my mom and grandmother that has been living in a variety of basements for the past 30 or so years and a lot of it is really lovely, it just stinks and makes everyone in the house sneeze when I unearth it.

YESSSSSS HAHA YESSSSS! I feel like I should send you some yarn. But family yarn owns; I love working with stuff my mom and Nana used. It makes me feel more normal somehow.

I also need my friend/enemy Dr. Professor Emeritus Bo-Pep to pop in because I have yarn for Mrs. Pep. Like, I have yarn for anyone who wants it, basically. The yarn is trying to murder my family at this point.

M opened the Bad Closet and the yarn avalanched out and now he's making me sort, label and bag everything so we can get ready for a big sale because I haven't done any events since December 2019 and yet, I keep making yarn.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

What would you say is a reasonable amount of data to ask readers to deal with per page?

Thank you all for the insights!

i'm no kind of expert but i found this cool picture

so average is still <4mb, >10 is what feels "too big" in my kinda arbitrary opinion

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

pnac attack posted:

i'm no kind of expert but i found this cool picture

so average is still <4mb, >10 is what feels "too big" in my kinda arbitrary opinion

Aww hell yeah that's wicked, you rock friendo, much obliged.

Sig by Heather Papps

Bingo Bango

Mormon Nailer posted:

YESSSSSS HAHA YESSSSS! I feel like I should send you some yarn. But family yarn owns; I love working with stuff my mom and Nana used. It makes me feel more normal somehow.

I also need my friend/enemy Dr. Professor Emeritus Bo-Pep to pop in because I have yarn for Mrs. Pep. Like, I have yarn for anyone who wants it, basically. The yarn is trying to murder my family at this point.

M opened the Bad Closet and the yarn avalanched out and now he's making me sort, label and bag everything so we can get ready for a big sale because I haven't done any events since December 2019 and yet, I keep making yarn.

In an inspired move last night, I decided it was the perfect time to start a hat for How Wonderful. Which led to me digging out the yarn and discovering it needed to be washed. So, I went to gather the rest of my supplies only to find my crochet hooks weren't where I was expecting them to be. And every box I opened up to dig through after that point didn't have my hooks but did have more yarn. Yarn I forgot I had, yarn I don't know if I'd ever seen before.

So all that's to say, I will gladly buy your yarn!!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bingo Bango posted:

In an inspired move last night, I decided it was the perfect time to start a hat for How Wonderful. Which led to me digging out the yarn and discovering it needed to be washed. So, I went to gather the rest of my supplies only to find my crochet hooks weren't where I was expecting them to be. And every box I opened up to dig through after that point didn't have my hooks but did have more yarn. Yarn I forgot I had, yarn I don't know if I'd ever seen before.

So all that's to say, I will gladly buy your yarn!!

Just take it! Seriously! I need to put together a package for you, one for Zil, one for cruft and one for Mrs. Pep for sure. I can mix other dyer's stuff from my stash and some I've harvested, spun and dyed.

I also need to give away a whole bunch of madtosh because I got really into TML at one point and then figured out I hate knitting and crocheting singles, and they're absolutely worthless for weaving.

Bingo Bango

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just take it! Seriously! I need to put together a package for you, one for Zil, one for cruft and one for Mrs. Pep for sure. I can mix other dyer's stuff from my stash and some I've harvested, spun and dyed.

I also need to give away a whole bunch of madtosh because I got really into TML at one point and then figured out I hate knitting and crocheting singles, and they're absolutely worthless for weaving.

:swoon:

biosterous

more falafel please posted:

most dinosaur comics are pretty byob but this one i feel like is very byob

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

There are literally over 900 skeins in my personal stash because I replaced a crippling drug addiction with a crippling yarn addiction and I compulsively knit socks for people.

biosterous

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I ask because over in the LP forum I just discovered that 700 pixel width is the maximum image size for their off-site archive

900px, actually! and Baldurk is happy to run an automated resize on anything bigger than that, if you're fine with it (otherwise you need to resize or timg all the pics yourself)

(all the exact steps to take to make Baldurk's job easier are here, in case you/anyone else is interested)

the LP Archive holds a special place in my heart because it's what got me to change from being someone who would occasionally remember that SA existed and read a few frontpage articles to actually joining and posting and that has been a Very Good Thing for several years :shobon:

e: oh good people with more experience are answering your questions in the Sandcastle, i will leave matters in their capable hands

biosterous fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 26, 2021

gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

xcheopis posted:

Also, I hate filling out spreadsheets that someone else has formatted and they format WRONG. It's all wrong, why would you do this.

hard same

but the feeling when i finally fix the formatting, that is real real good

gallery of sigs

he/him