Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Philonius posted:

I never understood the appeal of that type of thing either.

If anything, I'm developing an increasing appreciation for simple technology. Physical switches. Mechanical devices. Something robust that will always work, doesn't require a smartphone or internet connection, something that can't be hosed over by a software bug or loss of company support.

Something 100% owned and operated by me, and not some shady tech company harvesting data through it.

a goon techbro said its great for getting high and blackout drunk and shouting "shutdown everything" before blacking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

musk thinks car chargers is like phone/device chargers, just buy the cheapest one from amazon.

I'm just curious who is going to install them

Buying the cheapest stuff for high voltage applications sounds risky

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jestery posted:

I recently did a bit of a deep dive on textiles and was loving taken aback at the incredible amount of water it takes to make some pants or W/E.

but what if you made it a human shaped robot? (and had some tesla enegines in VR headsets off screen remoting it through sewing motions?)

veritasium has a good video about sewing machines, again lol at musk and his stupid stupid as gently caress stans thinking human shapes are the next step, when the industrial rev's major foundation was figuring out how to turn complex motions into simple harmonic motions

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Smart light globes took my job!!!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Elviscat posted:

Also stupid as gently caress, get off the drat couch and turn the lights down.

I take it you don’t use the remote for your TV?

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Jestery posted:

It's just bomb proof, metal gears, the consumable items last year's themselves and are extremely cheap parts all it needs is oiling once a fortnight and. It will stitch all day every day

It's a triumph of engineering that this machine that renders a good deal of hand sewing obsolete works as good today and it did 66 years ago. And it's a sad loving joke that people try and defend Tesla's build quality when cars have existed for a century or so now

Get an Elna Grasshopper if you like incredible designs from the forties. Those things look great, do the job, and they don't take poo poo from nobody.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

ben shapino posted:

didnt read. gently caress you.

TL;dr: technology has created a "don't have to move" renaissance for lazy forgetful fucks

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Smart switches are great if you live with multiple people in the house who never shut off a drat light when they leave a room. When go to bed or leave the house you don’t have to walk all over the house doing their job

But the smart switches I used were all kind of lovely and I stopped using them. GE/Jasco cheapened out on the capacitor they used and sometimes would die when there was a surge/power off. And when they died like this they would cycle power on and off non stop to the device until you pull out the air gap plug

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have a bunch of smart light bulbs. In concept they are kinda nice but in reality they are a nightmare.

- The app is shoddy and buggy, keeps losing track of various bulbs or having them move randomly all around in the list right after I've gotten them carefully arranged in order of frequency of usage, or their names spontaneously blank out, that's always fun trying to figure out which one "Smart Bulb 45b7a543cfa4" is
- The bulbs will arbitrarily fall off the wifi network and have to be rejoined or rediscovered from scratch, and I have to go look up a wifi password I haven't typed in months, sometimes in the middle of the night when they've decided to start blasting in discovery mode ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF at maximum brightness at 3AM right above my bed
- They are advertised as being arbitrarily color/brightness programmable but they are poorly color-matched to each other and often desync when they're supposed to all be grouped in a single fixture or zone
- Controlling them via the app is laggy, unreliable, and just plain unsatisfying

I could go on. The point is much the same as with Tesla controls, just because something is TECHNICALLY feasible in this modern world doesn't mean it's a better user experience, or more foolproof, or safer. In 99.999% of cases what I need to do with a light bulb is doable with a wall switch; and while yes I do have to stand up and go hit it physically, I never have to do tech support about it or reinstall an app and re-enter 1000 settings or blearily try to remember a wifi password in the middle of the night.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Willatron posted:

TL;dr: technology has created a "don't have to move" renaissance for lazy forgetful fucks

It was more of a 3O;DR

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Data Graham posted:

I have a bunch of smart light bulbs. In concept they are kinda nice but in reality they are a nightmare.

- The app is shoddy and buggy, keeps losing track of various bulbs or having them move randomly all around in the list right after I've gotten them carefully arranged in order of frequency of usage, or their names spontaneously blank out, that's always fun trying to figure out which one "Smart Bulb 45b7a543cfa4" is
- The bulbs will arbitrarily fall off the wifi network and have to be rejoined or rediscovered from scratch, and I have to go look up a wifi password I haven't typed in months, sometimes in the middle of the night when they've decided to start blasting in discovery mode ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF at maximum brightness at 3AM right above my bed
- They are advertised as being arbitrarily color/brightness programmable but they are poorly color-matched to each other and often desync when they're supposed to all be grouped in a single fixture or zone
- Controlling them via the app is laggy, unreliable, and just plain unsatisfying

I could go on. The point is much the same as with Tesla controls, just because something is TECHNICALLY feasible in this modern world doesn't mean it's a better user experience, or more foolproof, or safer. In 99.999% of cases what I need to do with a light bulb is doable with a wall switch; and while yes I do have to stand up and go hit it physically, I never have to do tech support about it or reinstall an app and re-enter 1000 settings or blearily try to remember a wifi password in the middle of the night.

you have to be smart to use smart bulbs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Anderson Koopa posted:

Apparently they are going to spend a bunch of money expanding the Supercharger network. How they plan to accomplish this without a team :?:

Love my Supercharger network, hate my team.

They are just announcing it to take the heat off since everyone who isn't riding Musk's dick 24/7 recognized that abandoning the supercharger network immediately after their connector was made the de-facto standard is colossally stupid.

They won't actually do it because Musk is desperately trying to strip as much copper from the walls as possible to keep the investor dream alive long enough to get his compensation package reapproved and liquidated.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also I have Lutron smart switches in my house and they just loving work no matter what because Lutron is a proper electrical manufacturer not a loving app-obsessed tech company.

The killer "smart" feature of the switches is that I can put a new remote switch (which is indistinguishable from a normal switch) anywhere without running a cable in the wall, so I'm not stuck with the dumb spots that some builder 80 years ago chose for light switches. The switches and remotes don't use WiFi to communicate with each other so could shoot my router with a shotgun and the light switches would still do their thing like nothing happened.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
My personal favorite high tech piece of poo poo story is Klipsch sells some cool 2.1 PC speakers but unfortunately they've decided the new versions need to be Bluetooth enabled, which is great because you can't shut the Bluetooth functionality or put a PIN on it or anything so every so often my PC speakers would turn off because some random person connected to them with their Bluetooth device and the only way to fix it was to unplug the speakers and plug them back in again.

Apparently a lot of people have this problem so I followed the most recommended solution: Opening up the control module and breaking the Bluetooth transciever chip off of the board.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Shifty Pony posted:

The switches and remotes don't use WiFi to communicate with each other so could shoot my router with a shotgun and the light switches would still do their thing like nothing happened.

prove it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Scientastic posted:

I take it you don’t use the remote for your TV?

Of course not, I use one of the 9000 touchscreens I've littered my home with, Couch Toaster 9A is my personal favorite for TV control.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jestery posted:

I recently did a bit of a deep dive on textiles and was loving taken aback at the incredible amount of water it takes to make some pants or W/E.

So I've picked up sewing again after many years so I can repairy clothing and make use of thrift stores for clothes and fabrics etc and got myself an old sewing machine from 1958 (for 75 AUD)

The loving thing is incredible, just look at this

Taking it apart to do a basic service and function check was a delight

It's just bomb proof, metal gears, the consumable items last year's themselves and are extremely cheap parts all it needs is oiling once a fortnight and. It will stitch all day every day

It's a triumph of engineering that this machine that renders a good deal of hand sewing obsolete works as good today and it did 66 years ago. And it's a sad loving joke that people try and defend Tesla's build quality when cars have existed for a century or so now

Repairable goods are anti-capitalist

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 11, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Of course not, I use one of the 9000 touchscreens I've littered my home with, Couch Toaster 9A is my personal favorite for TV control.

You still use all that outdated touchscreen tech. I control mine by electrodes I shoved into my eyes, sure it may be pretty random what my lights do now days, but as I can't see anymore with the electrodes in my eyes and what not, whatever, importantly though it means I don't have to do any of that low tech moving thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hazo posted:

Lmao I didn’t know this about Elon’s “I’ll give you some dunning-krugerrands if you can prove my daddy had an emerald mine” challenge

https://x.com/wraithofmoon/status/1788993475159159255?s=46&t=Y9tN5g_IyRiifSxBmqZbkw

Dunking on Elon is the only good thing that Errol has done in his life, but when he dunks, he dunks.

ben shapino posted:

didnt read. gently caress you.

The avatar wipe fooled me this time. :negative:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 11, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh also the bulbs only pair to a single person's app, so what happens if I want to go to a different part of the house or turn on lights in someone else's room? I can't because those lights aren't in my app.

I guess potentially you could add multiple users to your app and have all of them individually register all the bulbs in their own apps and set up a permissions system and god's loving sake it's light bulbs. I'm looking for that thing and it's dark, how do I turn on the drat light in the person's room who's not home. Can't just slap your hand around next to the door and hit a switch, that would be too easy. Did I mention that trying to join the wifi network in high-intensity-flashing discovery mode has about a 10-minute timeout and it cannot be interrupted or cancelled, you just have to sit around waiting at 3AM for the 10 minutes to expire and it to give up trying to join the network and fiddle with settings or move your phone around to an area with better reception and try again, knowing you have to be up for work in 2 hours

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Oh also the bulbs only pair to a single person's app, so what happens if I want to go to a different part of the house or turn on lights in someone else's room? I can't because those lights aren't in my app.

I guess potentially you could add multiple users to your app and have all of them individually register all the bulbs in their own apps and set up a permissions system and god's loving sake it's light bulbs. I'm looking for that thing and it's dark, how do I turn on the drat light in the person's room who's not home. Can't just slap your hand around next to the door and hit a switch, that would be too easy. Did I mention that trying to join the wifi network in high-intensity-flashing discovery mode has about a 10-minute timeout and it cannot be interrupted or cancelled, you just have to sit around waiting at 3AM for the 10 minutes to expire and it to give up trying to join the network and fiddle with settings or move your phone around to an area with better reception and try again, knowing you have to be up for work in 2 hours

what the gently caress brand of bulbs are you using?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
my bulbs just work like regular ones if you flip the light switches maybe you got those tesla smart bulbs

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Prove what? I use Lutron too, they use a proprietary protocol called Clear Connect on 434 Mhz, their wireless controllers don't even have WiFi and scale from everything from small apartments to mega mansions. Well, also some Hue, and that is Zigbee to a hub that also doesn't have WiFi.

Data Graham posted:

OK, well, you are just buying cheap poo poo, everything in our house is Lutron or Hue with some very limited Govee mixed in for unimportant stuff (Patio string lights, under-counter lighting and outdoor wash lighting).

We never have any reliability issues, everything links to a Google Home account where every device down to fans can be controlled from 7 Google Home touch screens or the Home App on your phone. We have zero reliability issues.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 11, 2024

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I'm a former industrial electrician, specialized in automation.

The only smart thing in my house is the ac unit, so I can turn it on remotely and the house is warm when I get home.

There were huge issues in first gen home automation, mainly zero support for older systems. Your 4 year old system has an electronic fault? There's no spares, it's not compatible with the newer systems, tough luck. Or the company would discontinue support, shut the server down and that's it, game over.

Meanwhile I worked on systems from the 60s, all contactor controlled, and they were basically bulletproof. Sure you needed a unit the size of a fridge to do the job a controller the size of a block of butter could fo now, but I don't think we ever had more than 30 min of downtime. You'd see which contactor had failed, shut down power, swap it out for a new one and back to it.
Contrast that to one of the new systems which decided not to talk to the purge system one day. Took a day to figure it wasn't a hardware error, contacted the manufacturer, they said they were aware of it but didn't have a fix for that version of the controller so they'd send us a new version. Took three days to arrive.

Anything more complicated than a plc running ladder logic should be outlawed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WhyteRyce posted:

Smart switches are great if you live with multiple people in the house who never shut off a drat light when they leave a room. When go to bed or leave the house you don’t have to walk all over the house doing their job

But the smart switches I used were all kind of lovely and I stopped using them. GE/Jasco cheapened out on the capacitor they used and sometimes would die when there was a surge/power off. And when they died like this they would cycle power on and off non stop to the device until you pull out the air gap plug
Sometimes I pause, debating the absolutely most efficient way to complete activities around my house to minimize walking including how to turn all the lights out my wife leaves on in he morning before leaving.

At this point instead of buying a bunch of cheap networked microcontrollers I take an extra antidepressant because my OCD is clearly creeping back in and just walk around turning lights out at random as a form of CBT.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can control my lights with the app but I've also got smart switches that turn them in and off like normal lights

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

Prove what? I use Lutron too, they use a proprietary protocol called Clear Connect on 434 Mhz, their wireless controllers don't even have WiFi and scale from everything from small apartments to mega mansions. Well, also some Hue, and that is Zigbee to a hub that also doesn't have WiFi.

OK, well, you are just buying cheap poo poo, everything in our house is Lutron or Hue with some very limited Govee mixed in for unimportant stuff (Patio string lights, under-counter lighting and outdoor wash lighting).

We never have any reliability issues, everything links to a Google Home account where every device down to fans can be controlled from 7 Google Home touch screens or the Home App on your phone. We have zero reliability issues.

please shoot your router with a shotgun

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it's because the person I live with who put the whole system together refuses to use anything in the Google ecosystem so I have no idea what brand these are.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Three Olives posted:

This sure is a three olives post

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I flick a light switch and then there’s light. I’m basically God because I see it’s good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Google home account jfc

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I worked with one of the OG home automation dorks at IBM back in the mid 2000s. He wired up every light switch in his house to his home network, and then twinned them all with the switches in an exact copy of his house in Second Life. I can't recall exactly how long it lasted but he pretty quickly disconnected the Second Life link because (of course) random users would spend hours and hours loving with his lights in the middle of the night.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Unexpected is doing a lot of heavy lifting here

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

euphronius posted:

Google home account jfc

I did but I don't see what an asian food distributor has to do with anything

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Elon will pull a Mr. Beast and ask his fans to build and maintain the supercharger network.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jamsque posted:

I worked with one of the OG home automation dorks at IBM back in the mid 2000s. He wired up every light switch in his house to his home network, and then twinned them all with the switches in an exact copy of his house in Second Life. I can't recall exactly how long it lasted but he pretty quickly disconnected the Second Life link because (of course) random users would spend hours and hours loving with his lights in the middle of the night.

lmao @ getting hosed with by Ralph Pootawn and Esteban Winsmore irl

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Unexpected is doing a lot of heavy lifting here

I’m sure for that true believer it was very unexpected. For literally everyone else in the world it was, indeed, very much expected though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobjr posted:

Elon will pull a Mr. Beast and ask his fans to build and maintain the supercharger network.

Jimmy learned from the worst.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1043293219205787648

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

bobjr posted:

Elon* will respond to 1 tweet of yours for every supercharger that you repair and maintain

*may be a parody account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
My spouse is in a wheelchair so home automation is a literal godsend for her, but lol at anyone using the vendor apps instead of HomeAssistant.
Thank you 3O for subsidizing all the expensive hardware so I can get white box zwave lightbulbs at a reasonable price!