Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TLO roll call immediately starts playing in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

poopDOLLA is right

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

those poor, pathetic beasts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Peter Falk posted:

My spouse is in a wheelchair so home automation is a literal godsend for her, but lol at anyone using the vendor apps instead of HomeAssistant.
Thank you 3O for subsidizing all the expensive hardware so I can get white box zwave lightbulbs at a reasonable price!

The one by Nabu Casa?

Honest question, I need to know what to use if I'm doing it wrong, and the Apple Home app doesn't recognize any of these bulbs because it assumes they'll have a QR code or something on them

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

two unbelievable things with that post.

1) more than one female women in that pic.
2) an reddit post being anti musk before its deleted.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Buncha hillary dem losers

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey and he was right to about the tesla longs being a good bet, that was posted five years ago, so that would of been a 950% or so increase, for the exact reason he predicted.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

kiwid posted:

That reminds me of my previous company where the CEO started policing the no longer free coffee in the break room after we had massive layoffs.

Once the company stopped leaking coffee money everything around?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

lol the cybertruck I saw yesterday showed up at my store today and I got to see it even closer up, it's like that "proximity to Ludacris" pic but the closer you get the worse it looks but paradoxically it doesn't get better the farther away

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AlmightyBob posted:

lol the cybertruck I saw yesterday showed up at my store today and I got to see it even closer up, it's like that "proximity to Ludacris" pic but the closer you get the worse it looks but paradoxically it doesn't get better the farther away

the Fiat Multipla is unironically cooler, better looking, and more functional than a Cybertruck both at first glance and in operation

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Data Graham posted:

These people deserve the poison Gatorade.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I didn’t look at the date on that post and was infuriated because he’s just fired a fuckload of people and these fuckers are volunteering. It’s still hosed but a classic laff™

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The multipla is so cool

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Data Graham posted:

The one by Nabu Casa?

Honest question, I need to know what to use if I'm doing it wrong, and the Apple Home app doesn't recognize any of these bulbs because it assumes they'll have a QR code or something on them

You don’t have to pay Nabu Casa, they offer remote access as a service and they exist so that people can pay the HA developers, but yes HA and Nabu Casa are linked.
HA makes it SO easy to set up your equipment I don’t know why anyone would use google home or HomeKit

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

lol that Elon wasn’t invited to the met gala and instead spent the week laying off essential employees and angry posting about immigrants on twitter

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Data Graham posted:

The one by Nabu Casa?

Yeah. Home Assistant is great. It'll run on all sorts of bullshit and is super easy to get going and works with a shitload of stuff. It's a lot less fussy than SmartThings (which I used to use) or VeraLite (what I used before that). Pretty active community as well so plenty of resources online to look at (or ask) if you need help getting going or figuring stuff out.

I have a lot of light switches that control outlets that aren't convenient to where I want a light, and lights where I want that aren't convenient to a switch or to physically turning on/off. So it's nice to be able to use a smart light switch or control panel on a tablet or just yell at Alexa to turn on/off a group of lights in a room all at once.

Also I have all sorts of stupid automations going that just fire off automatically based on stuff, or when I trigger them.

I'm paying Nabu Casa only for the easy remote access service and easy voice assistant compatibility. While those are both things you could get going without paying, I also want to pay the HA devs so they keep maintaining and updating HA because it's so useful in my life.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

poisonpill posted:

lol that Elon wasn’t invited to the met gala and instead spent the week laying off essential employees and angry posting about immigrants on twitter

More events should continue to not invite him. It would even be a selling point.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

More events should continue to not invite him. It would even be a selling point.

Welcome to the Carrotville, AB Frolic Supper Dance.

Featuring Bill Bugby and his incredible banjo!

Not featuring ELON MUSK! Event is guaranteed to be Musk free!

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Big same

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We’ve had the ikea bulbs and base station for like 9 years. Got wireless switches for some of them, but they eat batteries like nobody’s business. The hub doesn’t need internet access in or out to function.

My appletv talks to the ikea hub and lets me say “hey siri, turn off the CO2 thing” ( on my planted aquarium). It also turns off all the lights when everyone leaves, and turns on the bedroom lights in the evening.

Anything even slightly more complicated has like a 65% success rate.

Does Elon have pets? He strikes me as an animal hater.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

fischtick posted:

Does Elon have pets? He strikes me as an animal hater.

Neuralink probably didn't start with monkeys.

edit: turns out that they totally killed a bunch of other animals too.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/05/neuralink-animal-testing-elon-musk-investigation

quote:

In all, the company has killed about 1,500 animals, including more than 280 sheep, pigs and monkeys, following experiments since 2018, according to records reviewed by Reuters and sources with direct knowledge of the company’s animal-testing operations. The sources characterized that figure as a rough estimate because the company does not keep precise records on the number of animals tested and killed. Neuralink has also conducted research using rats and mice.

He's trying to cbyertrucckk the human brain.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 11, 2024

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/05/neuralink-animal-testing-elon-musk-investigation

elons ark where hes trying to gather two of every animal so he can see how the neuralink kills them

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The only smart switch I have is for my bedroom light and I use it as an alarm. I have a loose schedule and it’s a nicer to wake up to the light turning on than an alarm buzzer. Plus if I wake up and start my day early, I don’t have to run back to the bedroom to shut off the alarm when it finally does go off or have to remember to turn it off/on for weekends since I can just set it for specific days of the week.

The only thing that sucks is the wall switch wiring lacks a neutral wire and I have a led bulb, so it needs an extra part installed in the bulb socket to work reliably. I use a desk lamp pointed at the ceiling, so adding the extra part makes the bulb extend outside the reflective cone and it takes a fair amount of screwing around to find a setup that gives decent room lighting without blasting your eyes by putting the bulb in direct line of sight.

yook fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 11, 2024

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

until it's been exhaustively tested in south african billionaires, it simply won't be ready for public trials

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There are some really cool and useful smart device ecosystems, and there are a crapload of unreliable trash products.

Speaking of trash, i saw a rolling dumpster in vegas yesterday and made it a point to point and laugh because the people in the back were recording pedestrians' reactions as they drive by

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Sentient Data posted:

There are some really cool and useful smart device ecosystems, and there are a crapload of unreliable trash products.

Speaking of trash, i saw a rolling dumpster in vegas yesterday and made it a point to point and laugh because the people in the back were recording pedestrians' reactions as they drive by

Pure evil

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Joe many workers does it take to change a log by bolb?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Im intrigued by the man in the green shirt’s breasts.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Slowly suffocate on our emissions?
Heh, I'll be sitting in my CYBORGCUCK hotboxing my own farts, thankyouverymuch :smugbert:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
In 5 years, fart mode will produce actual methane.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sentient Data posted:

Misunderstood at first and thought you meant some company was making literal moving dumpsters driven by “AI” (a guy in India)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13402387/Tesla-active-hood-safety-feature-kangaroos.html

quote:

Happened to me about a month ago... initial quote they gave was $500. After a technician had a look at the service centre, I received a call saying it was going to be $2,000,' one Tesla owner commented

quote:

Kangaroos, however, appear to be phantoms to the system as one driver proved when they took a photo of one sitting right in front of their car undetected. 

'Just a heads up to Tesla owners who are driving cross country... Tesla Vision does not recognise our national fauna such as our iconic kangaroo,' he said. 

'Please take the usual precautions to slow down and keep an eye out, especially during sundown and sunrise.'

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
active hood sounds like something Elon would make excellent tweets about

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
:siren: Active hood, I repeat, we've got an active hood situation :siren:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Avirosb posted:

*rolls up windows and locks doors*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

Everything in our house is connected this way, however, we use smart switches for everything, it's nice to be able to dim all the lights at one time at night or if you are watching a movie and other lights are on in the house to be able to turn them off without getting off the sofa. Everything has a physical switch but you can also control it with your phone, or voice, or touch screen in every room.

Just an example, sometimes I forget to turn the porch light off and it shines in my bedroom window, I can just pull up the light on my nightstand or if I'm already in bed and realize I forgot to turn the bedroom fans up, they can all be controlled from the same touch screen.

I got exactly zero smart devices and it's so much better than the nightmare you have.

HOWEVER be that as it may that there is no loving way that poo poo is goingin my house I did work on a old age care project with smart devices and for the elderly/impaired and it can be amazing when done right (it takes a LOT to make it right and not a tech nightmare for security and interoperability - both being very good reasons why I'm just get gonna get off my rear end and turn the light off instead)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I bought some Globe tunable white/RGB lights and the novelty is kinda fun but overall they are kind of a pain in the rear end, it's always cool to turn on on a light and have it start loving flashing on and off because it desynced with the app for no reason.

They are pretty cool if you're doin' something like listening to Prince and decide to set the mood through the house, though, and having tunable white is pretty drat nifty. The app is horrendous, however. Probably as far as I'm really ever going with smarthome poo poo.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 11, 2024

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Avirosb posted:

*opens window, sticks out right arm at an upwards angle*

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I got exactly zero smart devices and it's so much better than the nightmare you have.

HOWEVER be that as it may that there is no loving way that poo poo is goingin my house I did work on a old age care project with smart devices and for the elderly/impaired and it can be amazing when done right (it takes a LOT to make it right and not a tech nightmare for security and interoperability - both being very good reasons why I'm just get gonna get off my rear end and turn the light off instead)

Ours is really not a nightmare, everything works great.

Almost every bad experience I have seen basically amounts to overloaded WiFi networks, cheap lovely lightbulbs from random Chinese manufacturers without physical switches and lovely WiFi plugs from the same companies.

Seriously, you would not know that you can use a screen or a phone to control anything in our house, because you don't, everything continues to work normally even without internet, voice/touchscreen control is just an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Elon Musk