Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Imagine one Elon at the edge of a cliff ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Those were the days, so many memories! I'm second from the left

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Three Olives posted:

Ours is really not a nightmare, everything works great.

Almost every bad experience I have seen basically amounts to overloaded WiFi networks, cheap lovely lightbulbs from random Chinese manufacturers without physical switches and lovely WiFi plugs from the same companies.

Seriously, you would not know that you can use a screen or a phone to control anything in our house, because you don't, everything continues to work normally even without internet, voice/touchscreen control is just an option.

How much did you spend in total to reinvent the light switch remote?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ReelBigLizard posted:

How much did you spend in total to reinvent the light switch remote?

That is a question without context. How much did I spend per dimmer switch? A lot more than the cheapest dumb dimmer that you can buy at Walmart, not that much more than we would have spent on one that didn't connect to our smart home system. How much did each touchscreen cost? More than a Walmart alarm clock, less than a Sonos system that we would otherwise have.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I have to, sadly agree with Three Olives.

If you spend okay money you can get an ok system that makes your life easier and can save you some money. I can come home to a nice preheated apartment with the lights on & computer already on while having forgotten my keys, and one time I actually lost mine instead of paying 200€ for a locksmith I just got in via my phone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lol coming home to the cold glow of the computer screen greeting you as soon as you step inside is supposed to be the enticing feature of the IoT bullshit?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
No. You're doing it wrong. You have to choose an arbitrary cutoff date and then look down on all technology of convenience that was produced after that date. drat lazy millennials and their fandangled technology.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Lol coming home to the cold glow of the computer screen greeting you as soon as you step inside is supposed to be the enticing feature of the IoT bullshit?

No, but it's something I usually do, so I have it booted and logged on already?

It saves me time, ultimately. Why is this a bad thing?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Here's the deal: all the convenience introduced after the washing machine,,, is actually a straight downgrade of previously existing things

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

yes we all love products. gadgets, gizmos... click click click click click

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Here's the deal: all the convenience introduced after the washing machine,,, is actually a straight downgrade of previously existing things

"Sorry Doc, I don't want an MRI, please cut me open the old fashioned way, nono, no tiny camera either, just get in there"

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I use a "smart"phone but I don't like it.
Don't think I've downloaded a single "app".

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I can come home to a nice preheated apartment

I'm a filthy pedestrian so when I get home to mine I'm either hotter than my apartment or so cold it feels hot
and by the time that wears off it's time for bed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

"Sorry Doc, I don't want an MRI, please cut me open the old fashioned way, nono, no tiny camera either, just get in there"

I like to warm up my home MRI by activating it in the app so I can slide in right after I return from work

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

I like to warm up my home MRI by activating it in the app so I can slide in right after I return from work

you're an MRI

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Rubber Chicken posted:

Imagine one Elon at the edge of a cliff ...

sir,

this is the home automation and zigbee troubleshooting thread and we were discussing unicast vs multicast and avoiding "popcorn" effects when simultaneously turning on or off large numbers of lights.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
how do you keep your color temperatures matched across all the light fixtures in your three-storey suburban mcmansion? Is it acceptable to have colder light temperatures in the garage? I find that cool white LEDs really make the cars look like they're in a dealer showroom.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

frumpykvetchbot posted:

how do you keep your color temperatures matched across all the light fixtures in your three-storey suburban mcmansion? Is it acceptable to have colder light temperatures in the garage? I find that cool white LEDs really make the cars look like they're in a dealer showroom.

Best option is the house detects what settings everything should be on and controls everything. All user input is error.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I come home using no keys, my car uses my phone as a key and automatically pre-cools/heats before I get in it based on work schedule. My front door has a fingerprint reader, the lights are already on, dimmed to my preferred brightness, house pre-heated/cooled to 70 at whatever time it needs to get there before I get home. Our fans/air purifiers have auto-circulated the air based on air quality, even if the HVAC is off. My computer is not in my living room, it's in office in the back of my house behind the den and bedroom, i.e. private spaces of my home where guests are unwelcome.

Apparently your only vision of this you are capable of is that weird anime home control girlfriend in a studio apartment, which is frankly way more weird than not wanting to carry keys, come home to a comfortable house and play some relaxing music all of it without doing anything but walking in the door and saying "Hey Google, chill the house."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kazil posted:

Anyway, he's spreading conspiracy theories about why everyone hates him and his lovely cars

It is a mystery

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/musk-accused-polluting-german-rivers-132031339.html

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

I come home using no keys, my car uses my phone as a key and automatically pre-cools/heats before I get in it based on work schedule. My front door has a fingerprint reader, the lights are already on, dimmed to my preferred brightness, house pre-heated/cooled to 70 at whatever time it needs to get there before I get home. Our fans/air purifiers have auto-circulated the air based on air quality, even if the HVAC is off. My computer is not in my living room, it's in office in the back of my house behind the den and bedroom, i.e. private spaces of my home where guests are unwelcome.

Apparently your only vision of this you are capable of is that weird anime home control girlfriend in a studio apartment, which is frankly way more weird than not wanting to carry keys, come home to a comfortable house and play some relaxing music all of it without doing anything but walking in the door and saying "Hey Google, chill the house."

stop posting and go suck your boyfriend (husband???)'s dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8zcgxWMDc

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I spend five hours a day chopping wood, in hopes I can keep the house warm enough I don't succumb to hyperthermia during the night.

I don't bother with locking the door as wolves can't use door handles, just closing them's good enough. :colbert:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 11, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Elon musk please free us from the tyranny of keys, my family is dying

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fifteen of Many posted:

My dad got a Tesla last month after getting addicted to various Tesla influencers on YouTube and I rode with him in it last week. Seems like an over-designed piece of poo poo to me? I love having to press two buttons and drag my finger up and down a touch screen to adjust the AC flow. I love pushing a button to make a handle pop out before I can open a door.

It just seemed like a bunch of gimmicks that weren't easier and in some cases were more annoying to use than a standard car.

Reminds me of doing a fresh install of Windows after upgrading my computer. You'd click 'yes' to turning on all the animations, all the bells and whistles. Then turn them all off two days later after you realise how annoying they were.

Except, with Tesla, you can't. You're stuck with doing the extra steps, waiting that little longer, forever.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ben shapino posted:

stop posting and go suck your boyfriend (husband???)'s dick

He's asleep, he hasn't been feeling well so after dinner he went to lay in bed with one of the cats and his iPad until he feel asleep, woke up, asked our smart home by voice to set all the fans in the bedroom to high and turn off all the lights. We are both side and back sleepers, so when he will inevitably rolls from his back to his side and back, the bed will automatically adjust optimal firmness while recording his heart and breath rate.

I am fully open to the evils of data collection, like, our bed is collecting our respiration and heart rate and uploading it to the cloud without medical privacy laws that would normally apply and that is kind of hosed up, but the first part is loving amazing and you are lying if you don't agree subject to the very reasonable concern about privacy.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 11, 2024

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Since we're still on this home automation horseshit:

My apartment building forcibly installed "smart" locks a couple years ago. There are a bunch of idiots to defend them on our building bulletin boards but every single one of us hates memorizing and entering a numeric code that you must loudly enter on a touch screen and deal with bi-yearly maintenance visits (that they often fail to schedule in time) to change the batteries. It was once suggested that you keep a 9V battery handy in case it dies since you have to power it temporarily to enter your home. There's a special Sabbath mode too should there be any orthodox residents. No word on how they accommodate the blind.

The kicker: it has a regular tumbler lock component, too, so there's no argument to be made about solving any tumbler lock problems. They're all managed by some lovely tech company with a bad reputation. We don't get to have a metal key for them, just the 9V battery they imply you should just carry around.

To add to it, this year they decided to start charging $20/month for the privilege of having this inconvenient and less secure lock, and some water sensors that they've replaced twice due to recalls for false alarms due to humidity.

Bringing it back around: all of the lock defenders drive Teslas, I'm sure there's a correlation here.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I don't even have a car & I'm European but the smart lock I bought myself is still handy since I can unlatch my door with hands full

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

ben shapino posted:

Best option is the house detects what settings everything should be on and controls everything. All user input is error.

AI pin, please set my house lights to the most popular color temperature and brightness.

AI pin, please play most popular soothing smooth soft jazz from 3O's spotify

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ben shapino posted:

he just evaluated employees on their code without understanding a thing about it. the more complicated the code looked the better the employee. also more lines equals better than

Yeah. It was one of the stupidest poo poo I've ever heard of, and then he kept doing something stupider pretty much weekly. It really is amazing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

AI pin, please set my house lights to the most popular color temperature and brightness.

AI pin, please play most popular soothing smooth soft jazz from 3O's spotify

My car has Amazon Alexa built in like a lot of cars, Amazon has the Show 15, Home Hub, Regular Echos, Frame TVs are everywhere:

Honestly, it strikes me as kind of weird that SA hasn't embraced this kind of stuff, it's way, way, way past early adopter at this point.

To pull this back into the lane a bit, Tesla sucks for reasons that aren't related to the advancement of general connected things, their Infotainment is devoid Carplay or Android Auto, they conform to any safety guards that any other automotive company does, their cars are't well made.

Basically, just like home automation, you can buy stuff that is good and stuff that is trash, just like you can buy a good EV or a Tesla.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 11, 2024

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

I went all in on cheap Chinese smart lights/tap timer/other random poo poo in the same ecosystem and it's great.

I briefly considered running it all on a seperate wifi network but am probably never going too because I'm lazy.

I'm currently building a proper server, NAS and backup system and future proofing for a proper home automation system/security camera network. Till then, this is totally fine and functional.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Disturbing if true.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
but how do you guys place your inductive driveway gate opener exit loops?

couple hundred feet from the gate so the gate is fully open several seconds before you drive through,
or do you like to have the opening timed a bit closer so that the gate is still moving?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

for a ceo the guy is a terrible speaker

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
He's baked as gently caress there

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Work installed a poo poo rear end smart lock on the one entrance for people to get in using their smart phone. The thing broke in a few weeks, locking people out, what a heap of garbage

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tai posted:

He's baked as gently caress there

Not like he's a better speaker sober.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

ilmucche posted:

for a ceo the guy is a terrible speaker

I really wonder how he got anywhere in life unless he did the majority of his correspondence early on entirely through emails or whatever until he huffed enough of his farts to think he's a great public speaker.

I have never seen or heard him be able to respond to anything in real time where he has to actually talk without sounding like he was thrown down more stairs than he's admitted to.

I don't know how anyone can hear him try to string together sentences and think "that's a guy I want to give money to".

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I really wonder how he got anywhere in life unless he did the majority of his correspondence early on entirely through emails or whatever until he huffed enough of his farts to think he's a great public speaker.

I have never seen or heard him be able to respond to anything in real time where he has to actually talk without sounding like he was thrown down more stairs than he's admitted to.

I don't know how anyone can hear him try to string together sentences and think "that's a guy I want to give money to".

When your dad owns an emerald mine to print money then the rules change in regards to being a dumb rear end everyone ignores or a rich dumb rear end people pay attention to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

can the smart system handle two dishwashers or does that gently caress with it?