Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Gillingham posted:

This is socal so water-proof is 0 concern, especially since she's going to be a pile-on she'll probably never see rain. I'm looking at textile but something with a decent amount of vents, it seems everythings either no vents and waterproof or mesh everywhere which won't work if it starts to get chilly.

You may have to look at the Adventure/Touring style of Jacket, maybe something along these lines; http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-womens-levante-jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Gillingham posted:

This is socal so water-proof is 0 concern, especially since she's going to be a pile-on she'll probably never see rain. I'm looking at textile but something with a decent amount of vents, it seems everythings either no vents and waterproof or mesh everywhere which won't work if it starts to get chilly.

That's kind of like early summer for us, so what I did was wear a lightweight cotton jacket under the mesh. And I wear just whatever pants under the mesh pants. That worked out really well, and then I could just put the jacket in my bag on the way home when it warmed up.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Unfortunately most touring jackets won't make the styling cut, end up just going with the Dainese Women's Air-Flux Textile Jacket, I mean since she'll be behind me I don't know how much wind flow the mesh is gonna get, and as you mentioned above can always just wear something underneath it. It's also cheap enough where if she says hey this isn't for me it's not a huge loss. Managed to snag overpants on clearance/closeout for $50 too. Now if only someone has a fire sale on womens boots.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Wapole Languray posted:

Hah! Dainese has no hold on me, because I'm 6 foot tall and built like a refrigerator! Yeah, my torso is basically square, so nothing that tapers at the bottom works on me.

Yay.

:smithfrog::hf::smithfrog:

I have one of their jackets in 44 thats basically a tarp since I'm a 40, and thats about the closest thing to dainese that I can wear.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

You can also wear a windbreaker or waterproof shell over the mesh jacket if it gets too cold.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My Firstgear jacket from the closeout sale showed up. I'll take pics and whatnot later, but it does not fit at all. If you're a "European" cut and not "American", look elsewhere.

:sigh:

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Sorry this is coming too late, but the Airwave stuff is Rev'It's low-end offering and it's not super well-made. I've had the crotch on the pants come apart, and the zipper on the jacket is also kinda jacked up (a number of reviews complain about this). This was over about a year of riding. I wouldn't buy either again.

Edit for whining.

I have a budget and I'd like to split up my expenses as much as possible. I'm having a hard time finding something that's as nice for near that money, or should I just suck it up and buy a 400 dollar jacket and matching pants now as a new rider?

Wapole Languray fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 4, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Wapole Languray posted:

Edit for whining.

I have a budget and I'd like to split up my expenses as much as possible. I'm having a hard time finding something that's as nice for near that money, or should I just suck it up and buy a 400 dollar jacket and matching pants now as a new rider?

Honestly? No.

I spent about $700 on gear when I first started, and the only thing I'm still wearing a year and 14000 miles later are the Tourmaster overpants. See what works for you, and part it out a little. Don't try to get the perfect thing right off the bat, because you just don't know what's going to be right for you until you've been riding however you're going to ride for while.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Wapole Languray posted:

Edit for whining.

As an alternative take on the Airwave, I've ridden with both the pants and jacket for two full years and they've held up. The pants are starting to tear in the crotch now, but I've put them through a fair bit of abuse including firt riding class wear I was off the bike probably 15 times. I know it's anecdotal evidence but I haven't regretted the purchase.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Koruthaiolos posted:

As an alternative take on the Airwave, I've ridden with both the pants and jacket for two full years and they've held up. The pants are starting to tear in the crotch now, but I've put them through a fair bit of abuse including firt riding class wear I was off the bike probably 15 times. I know it's anecdotal evidence but I haven't regretted the purchase.

Seconding, my Airwave pants and jacket have been awesome. I wear them less than the wet weather gear, of course, but a solid 6k miles during the summer at least and no issues.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I don't know how popular they are here, but as an alternative to the usual Joe Rocket budget stuff you might want to look at RS Taichi. I was pretty impressed with the quality for the price point while living in Japan, and it looks like they're being imported stateside for only 10% markup or so.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I will post an alternative take.

I'm into this for about 6 months and already on my second motorcycle.

If you have no idea what you like and what you want, dont be afraid to cheap out a little initially. I originally started with a seven zero seven helmet, custombilt leather vented jacket, and cheap repurposed pants and boots.

The helmet is the only gear i ended up keeping.

Then again, now much of that gear is getting handed down to another beginning rider...

Good news is that cyclegear is pretty liberal with their return policy if you get helmets and stuff through them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

My Firstgear jacket from the closeout sale showed up. I'll take pics and whatnot later, but it does not fit at all. If you're a "European" cut and not "American", look elsewhere.

:sigh:

Mine came in too! I'm actually really digging mine--I bought a size down and though the tall sizing is a lie (it's always a lie), it fits great on me.

This is my second firstgear jacket and I just looove it... It's got real armor (similar to my Kathmandu) and feels so much sturdier than my cheapo Xelement mesh jacket. Plus, babby's first Hi Vis!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/almost_free!/scorpion_split_helmet_blue_color.html

Scorpion R410 in lovely Denver Broncos colors for $149.95 - $130 GC for future purchase = $19.95 after gift card.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone know of a decent helmet under $500 that's not a Shoei and won't make me hate life on an unfaired bike? I'm pretty goddamn sick of this AGV. Riding a buddies bike that's faired, it wasn't too bad. On mine it's just beyond loud and is basically a sail.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I haven't tried Shoei so I don't know what kind of skull they fit, but you might check out a Scorpion or a Lazer. I've got the Lazer, and it's super quiet (at least in comparison to my HTC) even without a windshield.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone know of a decent helmet under $500 that's not a Shoei and won't make me hate life on an unfaired bike? I'm pretty goddamn sick of this AGV. Riding a buddies bike that's faired, it wasn't too bad. On mine it's just beyond loud and is basically a sail.

Wear earplugs for noise. If it feels like a sail it's probably too large. There's too much variation between people, gear types, shoulder shape, airflow, height, bike wind deflection characteristics, and on, and on, and on, and on, for anyone to give a recommendation on if a helmet is "loud" or "quiet".

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Whatever you do, don't buy a GMax--my helmet literally disintegrated on me the other day

I noticed that the sun visor started rattling around, so I pulled off to take a look at it, and when I tried to lift up my visor, half of it just popped loose

One of the screws that holds the visor/sun shield in place had completely worked itself free, and the others weren't too far behind. Luckily I had a spare bolt that fit in there, so I was able to put it all back together to ride home, but needless to say I'm on the hunt for a new helmet.

:pwn:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's a consistent problem across pretty much all helmets - you need to check the screws, especially those drat nylon/plastic ones.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

I love my Nolan N104 on my Honda CTX700N if you don't mind a flip-up. I never ride with it in an open position, it just makes getting it on and off easier. MotorcycleGear.com has some great deals on them:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/nolan/n104_solid_helmet.html
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/nolan/n104_outlaw_helmet.html

Both of those come with Pinlock visors and inserts that work really well. The best part is the massive viewport - try a Nolan if full face helmets make you feel claustrophobic.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 7, 2015

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Seconded. My first "good" lid was a Nolan N102. I love that thing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

Wear earplugs for noise. If it feels like a sail it's probably too large. There's too much variation between people, gear types, shoulder shape, airflow, height, bike wind deflection characteristics, and on, and on, and on, and on, for anyone to give a recommendation on if a helmet is "loud" or "quiet".

I wear earplugs. It also fits perfectly. It's not floating on my head, it literally yanks my head to the side with slightest gust. With earplugs it's still gently caress off loud. With earplugs on a faired bike, its fine. I asked for general recommendations as every person I've talked to with these helmets have the same impression,and having a starting place to look for others is a good thing.

But thanks for the utter lack of input otherwise.

Edit: I'll check out those Nolans. They look pretty cool, also. I'd really love to just get an Arai again but that's gotta wait till the wife is out of school.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I wear earplugs. It also fits perfectly. It's not floating on my head, it literally yanks my head to the side with slightest gust. With earplugs it's still gently caress off loud. With earplugs on a faired bike, its fine. I asked for general recommendations as every person I've talked to with these helmets have the same impression,and having a starting place to look for others is a good thing.

But thanks for the utter lack of input otherwise.

Edit: I'll check out those Nolans. They look pretty cool, also. I'd really love to just get an Arai again but that's gotta wait till the wife is out of school.
You didn't provide enough information to actually answer the question. "This AGV" is meaningless, because AGVs range from their super cheapo $50 lids to the $900 full Carbon Valentino Rossi Edition VR46™. If you want a legitimate answer, you need to provide head shape type so that people can give recommendations of helmets that are even likely to fit you, and then you have to realize that even then, noise is going to be highly dependent on you and your body shape plus the bike you're riding. Arai's Defiant is supposedly the only helmet designed for naked bike use, but if it doesn't fit you, it's worthless.

Webbikeworld offers "noise" ratings, but it's still super subjective. Decide on a bunch of factors that are important to you and use webbikeworld to figure out which ones are likely to fit you. But you are seriously asking the impossible here, between differences in head shape and everything else - fit is the most important thing for a helmet, and totally affects wind noise and everything else, and shopping for quiet is basically impossible without finding a place that'll let you take helmets out on rides to try them out. If you want proof of how this works, just jam your hand around the back of the neckroll and notice how much noise changes as a result of that. You can probably find a position that cuts the wind noise way down, but it'll depend on you and your shape.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There's a place on planet Earth that allows you to test ride helmets? That's not a dealership?

For my part I can say that I appreciated people's opinions, legitimate or not, before I bought my helmet. Ultimately there's going to be a lot of subjectivity involved as I don't believe there's even a strong definition of what a "narrow-round" head is or how to know if you've got one, and I've personally never seen a dB meter in a helmet noise level test.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 9, 2015

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Is there any hope for me finding a motorcycle boot in size 18? So far I'm finding this is impossible. What would you guys suggest as an alternative? I'm brand new to riding, and decent boots are the last piece of gear I need. I'm currently using a pair of hiking boots but I'm not too comfortable with them, as they will probably disintegrate in the event of a slide or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

There's a place on planet Earth that allows you to test ride helmets? That's not a dealership?

For my part I can say that I appreciated people's opinions, legitimate or not, before I bought my helmet. Ultimately there's going to be a lot of subjectivity involved as I don't believe there's even a strong definition of what a "narrow-round" head is or how to know if you've got one, and I've personally never seen a dB meter in a helmet noise level test.

How would a dB test even work? A lot of noise is going to depend on the fit of the helmet and the bike you're riding.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

T

Chichevache posted:

How would a dB test even work? A lot of noise is going to depend on the fit of the helmet and the bike you're riding.

That's simple. First you need to make a mould of your head. Then the ear canals of the mould are drilled out and fitted with tiny sensitive microphones. Next the head is placed onto a mannequin torso fitted with a motorcycle jacket. Next the contraption is placed inside a wind tunnel where the noise level is tested at various volumes of air at varying temperatures. For each wind setting the helmet is adjusted via the visor and its various vent positions. The helmet is also tested in different angles and rotations.

Of course having fairings, or a windscreen will dramatically change everything so this business will also need to have mockups of many types of windscreens and motorcycle front ends and test all combinations there of. These parts can of course can be made from fiberglass and don't have to be OEM. Other variations must also be tested such as jacket type, presence of a balaclava, etc.

It's very simple you see.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know if all that would be necessary to get a picture of relative db levels inside helmets, as long as the methodology is consistent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think his point is that there's no such thing as consistent methodology when every single person has a slightly different head, neck and jaw etc.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

ninmeister posted:

Is there any hope for me finding a motorcycle boot in size 18? So far I'm finding this is impossible. What would you guys suggest as an alternative? I'm brand new to riding, and decent boots are the last piece of gear I need. I'm currently using a pair of hiking boots but I'm not too comfortable with them, as they will probably disintegrate in the event of a slide or something.

My god... the stories are true! The Sasquatch is real!

Sorry! Not helping.

Man, dude, I don't know. That is a really big size. Do you know what your Euro size is? It's possible you might be able to find some Sidi, Dainese, etc. that would fit. Maybe something in a slightly smaller size that runs big? Are your feet wide, too, or just long? Although I would highly recommend giving RevZilla a call. Their salespeople are generally top notch and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ninmeister posted:

Is there any hope for me finding a motorcycle boot in size 18?

Goddamn, and I thought 14 was enough to get me laughed out of every shoe store in town

Please post a picture riding a grom :3:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

As someone that wears a US 14 / EU 49 I can tell you that you are never going to find a size 18 motorcycle boot.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Do decent gauntlet gloves that work in socal summers exist? Browsing through revzilla seems to say no, everything seems to be perforated with no carbon anything or really safe but no venting at all

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Gillingham posted:

Do decent gauntlet gloves that work in socal summers exist? Browsing through revzilla seems to say no, everything seems to be perforated with no carbon anything or really safe but no venting at all

Click gauntlets and summer weather and there are tons of perforated gauntlets. Pretty much all leather race gauntlets are perforated in fact.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

Click gauntlets and summer weather and there are tons of perforated gauntlets. Pretty much all leather race gauntlets are perforated in fact.
80% of the reviews on those are not good in actual heat, I think their version of "summer" is different from most.

A race gauntlet with some perferation for speeding around the track is one thing, something that can take sitting at lights in the summer is another. Seems like some of the cheaper cortech latigo gloves and others that have great review for being breathable are being discontinued or something too.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 10, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, that's my point. It's virtually impossible to have a truly objective measure of any of this poo poo, so quit with the "legitimate opinion" nonsense.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gillingham posted:

80% of the reviews on those are not good in actual heat, I think their version of "summer" is different from most.

A race gauntlet with some perferation for speeding around the track is one thing, something that can take sitting at lights in the summer is another. Seems like some of the cheaper cortech latigo gloves and others that have great review for being breathable are being discontinued or something too.

I have some Dianese Druids that don't really bother me much in SE Texas summer, and the only perf they have is on the fingers.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Marxalot posted:

I have some Dianese Druids that don't really bother me much in SE Texas summer, and the only perf they have is on the fingers.
Maybe I'm over-worrying then, I guess fabric itself and layering probably makes as much a difference as just having perforation once you get beyond textile/mesh.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

Yeah, that's my point. It's virtually impossible to have a truly objective measure of any of this poo poo, so quit with the "legitimate opinion" nonsense.

Nobody will ever do this because every helmet manufacturer says "the quietest helmet ever made [by us, this year, wink wink nudge nudge]!" and it's not enough of a safety issue nor is it going to be profitable for a 3rd party to establish any sort of rating. It's not that it's impossible or even too hard to establish a "loud louder loudest" rating, it's that there's no Good Reason to do it.

e: Massive sperglord overcomplication in this discussion, I regret this.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Nobody will ever do this because every helmet manufacturer says "the quietest helmet ever made [by us, this year, wink wink nudge nudge]!" and it's not enough of a safety issue nor is it going to be profitable for a 3rd party to establish any sort of rating. It's not that it's impossible or even too hard to establish a "loud louder loudest" rating, it's that there's no Good Reason to do it.

Also it is virtually impossible.

No. 6 posted:

T

That's simple. First you need to make a mould of your head. Then the ear canals of the mould are drilled out and fitted with tiny sensitive microphones. Next the head is placed onto a mannequin torso fitted with a motorcycle jacket. Next the contraption is placed inside a wind tunnel where the noise level is tested at various volumes of air at varying temperatures. For each wind setting the helmet is adjusted via the visor and its various vent positions. The helmet is also tested in different angles and rotations.

Of course having fairings, or a windscreen will dramatically change everything so this business will also need to have mockups of many types of windscreens and motorcycle front ends and test all combinations there of. These parts can of course can be made from fiberglass and don't have to be OEM. Other variations must also be tested such as jacket type, presence of a balaclava, etc.

It's very simple you see.