Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

Ah so you believe that anti-racism and feminism are ideologies rather than the state of the art resulting from rigorous work in the social sciences (informed in part by activism, of course). Interesting.

What does this even mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i mean they are by definition ideologies yeah. thats what words mean. whether the ideas they hold to be true are actually true is immaterial - their truth does not prevent them from having a perverting effect on science by predisposing the experimenter towards results that confirm said ideology

i dont know what the rest of your post means because its self-righteous word salad

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
They’re theories. Like gravity or evolution. Is gravity also an ideology?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i also like your definition of "rigorous" that doesn't preclude "failing to replicate 2/3rds of the time"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

man have you even read popper

e: to be less flippant: i know this became a popular refrain after the creationist debates of the mid-2000s, but gravity is not a theory, it's an observable phenomenon. we in fact don't have a working theory of gravity. evolution isn't a theory either; it's also an observable phenomenon. specific models of evolution, like Gould's contingency or basic Darwinian 'survival of the fittest', are theories, but the basic fact that organisms change over time is not. any rate, "anti-racism" is not a "theory" in the way that you're suggesting evolution is a theory: it is clearly and explicitly a political stance - an ideology - having as its goal the accomplishment of socio-political ends. that those ends are noble and correct does not change that fact.

i namedropped popper because attempting to make nonconforming data fit existent theories is, in fact, a recurring issue in science, but that's irrelevant because it's not what we're discussing here

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 4, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I read popper but I couldn’t replicate any of his experiments so it’s prob bullshit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

tuyop posted:

Ah so you believe that anti-racism and feminism are ideologies rather than the state of the art resulting from rigorous work in the social sciences (informed in part by activism, of course).

This is very odd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The conclusion to draw from social sciences broadly failing to conform to the ideas of scientific procedure and purity of scientific facts (or rather, it fails to produce results shoehorned into that setting) is an indictment of the current ideas of science, not an indictment of spending time and money on rational efforts to understand the human condition.

Feyerabend was right.

e: "Against Method" is the recommendation. All should be taken a bit tongue in cheek, didn't realize what thread I was helping derail.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 4, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

tuyop posted:

Ah so you believe that anti-racism and feminism are ideologies rather than the state of the art resulting from rigorous work in the social sciences (informed in part by activism, of course). Interesting.

tuyop posted:

This is worse than when Ali G debated Kent Hovind.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The programmers of my solipsistic simulation are really high today.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So has anyone recommended Mary Roach's Boink to OP yet? I got distracted by the Popper reference, and went into catatonic shock remembering the second half of his book's descent into symbolic logic *shudders*

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I usually read non fiction, but I’m in the mood for some modern techno thrillers. Are there any books that
A) are Democrat/leftist friendly, or at least not completely right-wing
B) deal with a resurgent Russia and destabilized west
Or C) deal with future wars caused by climate change / resource wars?

While I wait for an answer, I’m gonna re-read Larry Bond’s Vortex, which involves a fascist South African government invading Cuban-backed African nations. If I remember correctly, America steps in and beats everybody.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Looking for casual books about the philosophical failures of enlightenment, critiques of pure reason, how poo poo capitalism is, the ideas of Leo Straus and the ideas of Hannah Ardent.

Anything out there that covers most of those bases?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

I usually read non fiction, but I’m in the mood for some modern techno thrillers. Are there any books that
A) are Democrat/leftist friendly, or at least not completely right-wing
B) deal with a resurgent Russia and destabilized west
Or C) deal with future wars caused by climate change / resource wars?

While I wait for an answer, I’m gonna re-read Larry Bond’s Vortex, which involves a fascist South African government invading Cuban-backed African nations. If I remember correctly, America steps in and beats everybody.

Snow Crash, anything by William Gibson after Neuromancer, anything by Paolo Bacigalupi, but particularly The Water Knife. Maybe the Earthseed series by Octavia Butler. Oryx and Crake by Atwood.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

tuyop posted:

Snow Crash, anything by William Gibson after Neuromancer, anything by Paolo Bacigalupi, but particularly The Water Knife. Maybe the Earthseed series by Octavia Butler. Oryx and Crake by Atwood.

I like Paolo Bacigalupi's work, and it sounds like a good fit for the recommend, but I feel like it should come with a content warning. His writing always seems to include an uncomfortable level of violence against women

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
all books should come with an ESRB or MPAA style rating so we know if theres anything bad in them

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

chernobyl kinsman posted:

all books should come with an ESRB or MPAA style rating so we know if theres anything bad in them

You would never be able to make out the title to Atlas Shrugged through all of that.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

I appreciate the recommendations, but in this context, Techno Thriller means dadbooks like Red storm rising and other Clancy crap.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It's not "modern" -- it's 30 years old -- but maybe John Shirley's Eclipse trilogy might do for you? The premise is Europe being devastated by a non-nuclear war between the US and the Soviet Union; it was written just before the real Soviet Union went tits up. The US, sick of war and going through one of its isolationist spasms, can't be bothered with the work of rebuilding Europe and instead hands the job over to a PMC, the Second Alliance. The SA, however, is actually run by a cabal of lunatic right-wingers (is one of them a white South African? Of course!), who immediately get to work installing fascist-friendly governments and shuttling everyone who's not sufficiently white, straight, and/or Christian off to camps. The protagonists are mostly members of the New Resistance, fighting against the SA and trying to expose its crimes.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Selachian posted:

It's not "modern" -- it's 30 years old -- but maybe John Shirley's Eclipse trilogy might do for you? The premise is Europe being devastated by a non-nuclear war between the US and the Soviet Union; it was written just before the real Soviet Union went tits up. The US, sick of war and going through one of its isolationist spasms, can't be bothered with the work of rebuilding Europe and instead hands the job over to a PMC, the Second Alliance. The SA, however, is actually run by a cabal of lunatic right-wingers (is one of them a white South African? Of course!), who immediately get to work installing fascist-friendly governments and shuttling everyone who's not sufficiently white, straight, and/or Christian off to camps. The protagonists are mostly members of the New Resistance, fighting against the SA and trying to expose its crimes.

That sounds really interesting, thanks! I’m kindling the first book now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LibCrusher posted:

I’m kindling the first book now.

Even if you don't like it you don't have to burn it :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unironically yes. Knowing there's graphic rape or child abuse in a book before reading it would help me out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

Unironically yes. Knowing there's graphic rape or child abuse in a book before reading it would help me out.

You'd kinda have to put a start date of authorship on that, because (a) ain't no publisher got time to have someone go back and reread every book in their back catalog before putting it on kindle and (b) I'd rather not have every book before 2025 (or whenever) never available again because the publishing house didn't want to bother for anything other than their back catalog top 100.

That disclaimer having been made, the idea is not completely insane although probably needs some more fleshing out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

unironically gently caress off lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

unironically gently caress off lol

Double unironically double gently caress off

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Imagining a huge “Warning: Child Abuse” sticker on my copy of Maxim Gorky’s My Childhood and LMAOing rn

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Imagining a huge “Warning: Child Abuse” sticker on my copy of Maxim Gorky’s My Childhood and LMAOing rn

Sometimes I still think of the line "my mother kept hitting me on the head with a frying pan rather vigorously"*, sometimes I don't.

*) No idea how the line is originally, or in English translations, but that's the gist of it anyway.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

whats tipper gore up to these days

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Naw, we'll just get the Mormons to provide edited editions a la CleanFlicks.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

content warning: babyfucker by urs allemann contains highly sexualised language, suggestions of child rape and murder. reader beware

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

IT by Stephen King

Tagline: You liked the movie, now read the book.

Content Warning: May contain child gang-bang.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

Double unironically double gently caress off

nah man im gonna die on the hill that books should not be rated or have content warnings on them lol

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 15, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
writing TW: SUICIDE on copies of anna karenina

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
ovid's metamorphoses rated NC-17 for depictions of sexual assault

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nah man im gonna die on the hill that books should not be rated or have content warnings on them lol

Sure, but also, please don't tell people to gently caress off in the rec thread no matter how wrong you think they are, thanks.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

writing TW: SUICIDE on copies of anna karenina
Spoiler tags, dick.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Nothing triggers assholes like politely requesting trigger warnings lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TW: no spoilertags!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Russians are way ahead of you

(the text inside the box in the bottom picture says: CONTAINS UNCENSORED SWEARING.

this is also a book recommendation. read Zone by Dovlatov)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Any preferences where to begin with Thomas Bernhard? I liked Heldenplatz a lot. Turns out Austria has a hosed up relation to nazism!?