Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Sockser posted:

Playing around with some stuff to try to get my infill visible behind my perimeters, this one worked decently but the pattern is too small.
I’ve got another print going now with 3d honeycomb infill cranked down to like 3% but so far it’s looking basically the same, despite the pattern looking kind of huge in slic3r (or maybe I printed the gyroid one instead)

Are there like... alternative infills that do more of a vertical tiling than a horizontal tiling? I could theoretically run this print on its side instead of its base but then I need to gently caress with a ton of supports, but just being able to get some funky patterns showing through these should be neat, I think?

If you really want the infill to show through, you can increase the infill overlap, and make it print infill before wall in the slicer. That should really get the infill showing through. 1 wall thickness of course.

I know most patterns you can rotate the orientation around the Z axis. I haven't run into anything for the X/Y. Doing that to half the patterns could cause the infill to be overhangs itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
+N for Fusion 360. I picked it up to a conversational level by watching Lars Christensen on Youtube.

Specific to the Jag bracket, this one shows them importing a sketch, then creating surfaces based on the curves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NypRE2aFhh4

You may be able to put that bracket on a flatbed scanner to get it into a nice flat image. I did that for a filler piece on the hull of a model of the Bismarck that a co-worker was building. It was relatively easy to match the curve with some simple splines, then extrude and print to the desired thickness.

Sketchup makes it really easy to make non-manifold parts, which slicers hate. I use it sometimes to make models of a room to make a lab plan but that's about it. Woodworking guys seem to love it, probably because the solid modeling paradigm matches the way a guy with a piece of wood thinks, ie, "Here's a slab, let's cut away everything that isn't the thing that I need."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SketchUp is very good for its target audiences like architects and wood worker people. (Source: I've got hundreds of hours of sketchp experience working with architects)

It's just not good for 3d printing.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions - I've signed up for access to Fusion 360 and will download it tonight.

The thing is actually not as flat as it looks; there are a few guide pegs on the rear and the front juts out about 28mm (I did attempt to put it on a flatbed at work and it didn't work out), however the idea I have now is to get a big chunk 'o' foam, jam the pegs through, trace it on to that, and then scan that tracing. That oughta do the job, yeah?

edit: I know the pegs won't be able to be printed in the one hit (as it's going to need to sit flat on the bottom of the printer) but I figure I'll just print those separately and either glue/screw them in place (the pegs are all in parts that aren't visible with the rest of the car trim in place).

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I would scan or somehow get the front profile sketch into CAD, extrude it to overall max thickness, start trimming away from perpendicular plane sketches, then tune the shape with small features. I try to work from overall/too much to finer and finer details.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Basically computerized whittling.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

No fuckin clue. I just reran the print at 125% speed instead of 150% and no problems outside of some gummy stringing but that comes with the PETG

So I’m just kind of accepting that I should never crank my printer past like ~135-140

Spoke too soon- layer shift after 6 hours

insta
Jan 28, 2009

sarcastx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions - I've signed up for access to Fusion 360 and will download it tonight.

The thing is actually not as flat as it looks; there are a few guide pegs on the rear and the front juts out about 28mm (I did attempt to put it on a flatbed at work and it didn't work out), however the idea I have now is to get a big chunk 'o' foam, jam the pegs through, trace it on to that, and then scan that tracing. That oughta do the job, yeah?

edit: I know the pegs won't be able to be printed in the one hit (as it's going to need to sit flat on the bottom of the printer) but I figure I'll just print those separately and either glue/screw them in place (the pegs are all in parts that aren't visible with the rest of the car trim in place).

Are you hell-set on 3D printing it? This may be a candidate for fixing the original with Bondo and resin-casting a new one.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

insta posted:

Are you hell-set on 3D printing it? This may be a candidate for fixing the original with Bondo and resin-casting a new one.

Kinda; the reason for 3D-printing is because the initial design was lovely and I want to improve it; there are a number of hollow areas (for weight savings in a 4,000lb convertible?) that I want to fill in. More than that, though, I want to start by reproducing the original part but then do some other things with it - e.g. relocate the buttons from above the 1-DIN area to the sides, so I can then have it take a 2-DIN head unit. Basically I want to be able to have a lightly modified reproduction of the original that's better - and then see what dumb ideas I come up with.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

there's also a huuuuge recess because the original stereo was 1-DIN with a comedy huge fascia on the front, which is why in this picture there are lovely wood cutouts moving the aftermarket radio forward. In my SketchUp slapdash model I reduced the recess by about an inch.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

One Legged Ninja posted:

I've used a USBasp to update my firmware, and it worked fine. What specifically went wrong?

i get 'usbasp cannot set sck period, you may need to update your firmware' errors.

i've tried 3 different sets of 'avrdude.exe' setups

i've used that zadig utility and thrown every driver option at it that people claim works.

i've seen claims that later versions of windows 10 get cranky with these types of devices. eh, i'll grab my mac laptop from work and see if that makes a difference.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Remember just because it’s printed flat doesn’t mean it has to stay flat. With a heat gun you can resoften parts to make then fit a curve.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Got home, checked some stats on the printer, tightened up the x belt (tension was at exactly 280), cool

Checked fail stats, had 8 Y crashes and 1 X crash, which I imagine corresponds to that layer shift, but I have no idea where the hell that crash occurred-- unless it was me doing something wrong with Octolapse?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

i get 'usbasp cannot set sck period, you may need to update your firmware' errors.

Yeah, that's common, but not actually a problem in practice. It'll still function just fine with most microcontrollers. It's just a poorly explained bit of code. So there must be something else going on with your setup. You definitely have the pins connected correctly, right? (MISO --> MISO, MOSI --> MOSI, etc.) And the correct voltage jumper set on the USBasp?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't there also an issue with atmega boards that use genuine FTDI boards versus the CH340-equipped clone programmers, or am I insane?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

sarcastx posted:

Kinda; the reason for 3D-printing is because the initial design was lovely and I want to improve it; there are a number of hollow areas (for weight savings in a 4,000lb convertible?)

No, for cost savings (22 cents of plastic on a $1.13 part).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The transparent filament i got for that bin up there is being difficult.

Because if needs high effective temps to take in the heat I need to make a new profile to use it.

Frustrating, but oh well.

I'll keep getting black, it prints easier

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Jestery posted:

The transparent filament i got for that bin up there is being difficult.

Because if needs high effective temps to take in the heat I need to make a new profile to use it.

Frustrating, but oh well.

I'll keep getting black, it prints easier

What kind of filament is it?

I’ve been running my transparent PETG at 240 and my solid PETG at 235 or so and that’s been a good setup

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Sockser posted:

What kind of filament is it?

I’ve been running my transparent PETG at 240 and my solid PETG at 235 or so and that’s been a good setup

It is transparent PLA

And there is like "disagreement?" Between print speeds and temps and volumetric speeds.

I think my infill is printed at 80mm/s and that's too fast for it to melt for the infill, but for other parts it's too hot.

Having to crank it to 260 (I have a 0.6 nozzle) and it's just annoying to deal when the black filament was so pleasant and responsive

Edit:just need to print slower is all really

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Can anyone recommend a good printable spool holder that's strong enough when printed with PLA but still uses minimal filament?

Just got a fresh spool of PLA but it doesn't fit on either of my spool holders. The manufacturer uses stainless steel axle hubs and cardboard to cut down on waste plastic but the hole is like 2mm smaller than the spool holder on my Ender 3 and a shitload smaller than the 38mm spool holder I printed to fit in a 20L Samla drybox. I've still got like one layer left on the core of the old spool and the sample of loose PLA that came with the printer.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Jestery posted:

It is transparent PLA

And there is like "disagreement?" Between print speeds and temps and volumetric speeds.

I think my infill is printed at 80mm/s and that's too fast for it to melt for the infill, but for other parts it's too hot.

Having to crank it to 260 (I have a 0.6 nozzle) and it's just annoying to deal when the black filament was so pleasant and responsive

Edit:just need to print slower is all really

260 for PLA?! That’s loving wild

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Sockser posted:

260 for PLA?! That’s loving wild

That's what the hot end is at, but , I don't think it's getting into the filament well.

That's what I mean by disagreement.

Edit: Like all things being equal , you will have a higher potential volumetric speed with black filament. And the colour of the filament is my limiting factor

Conventional wisdom would be to up temps

But I think I need to slow print

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If your PLA needs to be at 260 degrees to print, something is wrong. I'd say either your thermistor is broken/misconfigured or your hotend is busted and not adequately transferring the heat into the filament.

What happens if you try to print at a more normal PLA temperature, like 200 degrees?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

One Legged Ninja posted:

Yeah, that's common, but not actually a problem in practice. It'll still function just fine with most microcontrollers. It's just a poorly explained bit of code. So there must be something else going on with your setup. You definitely have the pins connected correctly, right? (MISO --> MISO, MOSI --> MOSI, etc.) And the correct voltage jumper set on the USBasp?

turns out i was tired and or a moron. always step back from a problem and come at it the next day with fresh eyes.
i'd actually successfully thrown a bootloader on there, after a few attempts. but being zero positive feedback from the arduino IDE, i thought it was hosed up. i had figured there was an issue as i thought at FIRST i had put a bootloader on there, but arduino IDE was spitting errors when i tried to upload marlin.

if i wasn't a moron i'd have READ THE ERRORS uploading marlin to notice that the drat com port was being held up by cura, which i'd left open.

Thanks for the help. I'm just an idiot.

in other news : got a sparkmaker up and running. resin printing is neat, but i get why it's kind of weird. i'm going to wind up investing just as much money in post-curing and cleaning supplies as i dropped on the device.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

If your PLA needs to be at 260 degrees to print, something is wrong. I'd say either your thermistor is broken/misconfigured or your hotend is busted and not adequately transferring the heat into the filament.

What happens if you try to print at a more normal PLA temperature, like 200 degrees?

A more normal filament at 200 works just fine, I had my normal profile working a dream. Just last week.

But at the speeds I'm used to hitting at the temps I'm used to using , I'm thinking the ability to actually take in heat is becoming the issue.

I agree the 260 is way too hot. I'm just sort of navel gazing at the impact of different heat transference qualities of different colours having an impact on printing ability , like clear vs a black.

Like a clear glass will heat up less than a heavily tinted one in the sun y'know

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verizian posted:

Can anyone recommend a good printable spool holder that's strong enough when printed with PLA but still uses minimal filament?

Just got a fresh spool of PLA but it doesn't fit on either of my spool holders. The manufacturer uses stainless steel axle hubs and cardboard to cut down on waste plastic but the hole is like 2mm smaller than the spool holder on my Ender 3 and a shitload smaller than the 38mm spool holder I printed to fit in a 20L Samla drybox. I've still got like one layer left on the core of the old spool and the sample of loose PLA that came with the printer.

Does this fit what you are looking for?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2047554

They work great if you have a surface to put them on.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Efb

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sockser posted:

Did you check your stepper driver current limits? If they're too low then you might just be skipping steps because the motors aren't strong enough. Cleaned and Oiled your linear bearings too?

EDIT: and make sure your belts aren't too tight and causing binding. reducing acceleration in the printer settings may help too.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 15, 2019

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I have my first non-indistinct-blob print from my own 3d printer.

There's definitely some adjustment to do, but I consider it a success. Slanted-conveyor-belt-bed dealie. Duet3d supports CoreXZ so I use that so I can do a proper z-probe down to the bed, and set the conveyor as the Y axis. Blackbelt Cura will do the an angled slices and conveyor-belt thing, but it assumes the bed is Z. I use the post-processor in Cura to swap all the Ys and Zs in the G-code and it turned out ok.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PlaneGuy posted:

I have my first non-indistinct-blob print from my own 3d printer.

There's definitely some adjustment to do, but I consider it a success. Slanted-conveyor-belt-bed dealie. Duet3d supports CoreXZ so I use that so I can do a proper z-probe down to the bed, and set the conveyor as the Y axis. Blackbelt Cura will do the an angled slices and conveyor-belt thing, but it assumes the bed is Z. I use the post-processor in Cura to swap all the Ys and Zs in the G-code and it turned out ok.

I know I've seen a few different prototypes for belt printers on youtube, but this very cool. I was just lamenting a print that won't fit on either of my printers' beds the other day.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Motronic posted:

Does this fit what you are looking for?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2047554

They work great if you have a surface to put them on.

Yeah that should work great stuck to the bottom of the drybox, thanks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Did you check your stepper driver current limits? If they're too low then you might just be skipping steps because the motors aren't strong enough. Cleaned and Oiled your linear bearings too?

EDIT: and make sure your belts aren't too tight and causing binding. reducing acceleration in the printer settings may help too.

The only one of these that hasn't had layer shifts is the one where I decided to be patient and only cranked my printer up to like ~115% of the Prusa settings

So after tensioning, I tried running one at 175 and that one failed real quick

I've got another going at 110% right now and I'm just going to let it go
I've dialed down the infill and other settings enough that I've gotten my first 16 hour print down to 12 so I'll accept that wait

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Speed is not really the name of the game with 3D printing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sockser posted:

The only one of these that hasn't had layer shifts is the one where I decided to be patient and only cranked my printer up to like ~115% of the Prusa settings

So after tensioning, I tried running one at 175 and that one failed real quick

I've got another going at 110% right now and I'm just going to let it go
I've dialed down the infill and other settings enough that I've gotten my first 16 hour print down to 12 so I'll accept that wait

I have only been skimming your posts but am I right that your print running at 150% speed getting a layer shift 6 hours in was all :iiam:?

Is running at 100% speed or lower considered sinful by your people or something

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I have only been skimming your posts but am I right that your print running at 150% speed getting a layer shift 6 hours in was all :iiam:?

Is running at 100% speed or lower considered sinful by your people or something

The manual said to have at it, but print quality may suffer, and probably definitely don't go over 200%

So it seemed like fair game

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sockser posted:

The manual said to have at it, but print quality may suffer, and probably definitely don't go over 200%

So it seemed like fair game

Are you using the speed or quality preset in slic3r? The speed one has 200mm/s movements already, so cranking that up higher than 100% is iffy, imo

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lol at pushing speed above a given setting when the acceleration curves on most 3d printers will never acheive those speeds in a controlled manner except for printing large cubes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm imagining this thing bouncing around on the desk making horrific sounds hurling hot plastic out like silly string.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Are you using the speed or quality preset in slic3r? The speed one has 200mm/s movements already, so cranking that up higher than 100% is iffy, imo

I was on quality, as it had never really occured to me to hit that dropdown and look at the other settings there. This is neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Haven't posted in here for a while, but thought I'd share some interesting neat details.

I just got around to replacing my heated bed since it got hosed up (wire snapped) and it turns out, the heated bed comes off the tevo bed pretty easily. They use some strong adhesive but since it's a glass bed, a little pressure and the thing just peels right off.

Haven't put the replacement on yet, but I'm gonna be printing a strain reliever for the bed and popping that on too.

Was pleasantly surprised.