Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've recently got myself a new supercharged gaming system and naturally I want to run Doom on it. Problem is I can't remember which mod I used to smooth out animations etc; I know Beautiful Doom isn't it as that actually changed a few gameplay elements and the video I've seen of Doom Expanded didn't seem to have enough tweaks. Any idea on what it may be? I know it was recommended in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

ReDoom, maybe?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

laserghost posted:

ReDoom, maybe?

Nah, I used to like ReDoom but for the past few years there's been a couple of bugs in the SVN releases like Spectre corpses suddenly turning into Pinkies.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you're ever interested in playing NetQuake online, hop on over to QuakeOne and let them know. They're a small community and tend to be prone to drama (like any other 90s FPS community), but they seem to be a bit more nicer to newbies than the QuakeWorld guys are.

There's also a small group of NetQuake CTF players that are willing to play Threewave CTF if you post an interest check in their CTF forums. I don't think QuakeWorld has any active CTF players or groups anymore, so you have to go to QuakeOne to play it. I also remember reading that some players there occasionally liked booting up Dissolution of Eternity CTF just to check it out, so hop on over and post an interest check on their CTF forums if you ever want to try it out with others. If you want to play TF CTF, you'll have to play it in QuakeWorld.

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
Due to a terrifying lack of cool goon channels about cool old games, I have decided to make a cool channel about cool old games at #oldgames in Synirc, I recommend connecting with Hexchat or Mibbit.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Rather Dashing posted:

I've recently got myself a new supercharged gaming system and naturally I want to run Doom on it. Problem is I can't remember which mod I used to smooth out animations etc; I know Beautiful Doom isn't it as that actually changed a few gameplay elements and the video I've seen of Doom Expanded didn't seem to have enough tweaks. Any idea on what it may be? I know it was recommended in this thread.

Probably Per Kristian's weapon animations? They've been tweaked and repackaged in various ways; I'm not sure what the current best form is, but you can go on a Google adventure if no one else here has a suggestion.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rather Dashing posted:

Nah, I used to like ReDoom but for the past few years there's been a couple of bugs in the SVN releases like Spectre corpses suddenly turning into Pinkies.

...Pinky corpses or live pinkies? Please tell me it's the latter.

Kins do not fix that bug!

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Looks like the NOLF games are getting a re-release.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Groovy, daddy-o.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

a retard posted:

Looks like the NOLF games are getting a re-release.

:neckbeard: This is wonderful, i never did get to play NOLF all the way, had a demo but thats all!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I did a thing in Doom today:

That's the cockpit HUD and gun from Gundam Side Stories: The Blue Destiny on Sega Saturn, which looks like this:

I'm gonna add the muzzle flashes for the handgun and the head vulcans (you pilot a GM Mobile Suit in the game, not the Gundam itself) and sounds later. Also I have to edit the cockpit sprite because you can see the blank edges when it bobs back and forth.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is that Saturn game any good? After grabbing a Saturn emulator for Powerslave I've gotten interested in the Saturn library and I've found some neat gems. The Saturn is really an underrated console that was really unfortunately hampered by the confusing architecture and piss-poor management by Sega, but all that's a story for another thread.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Last time I played some quake it was using Darkplaces on the Quakeworld servers. As of 6 months ago a "bunch" of people play Quake Fortress and various DM. I still prefer Quake 2 on tastyspleen for my quick quake fix.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is that Saturn game any good? After grabbing a Saturn emulator for Powerslave I've gotten interested in the Saturn library and I've found some neat gems. The Saturn is really an underrated console that was really unfortunately hampered by the confusing architecture and piss-poor management by Sega, but all that's a story for another thread.
It is, yeah. It's only in Japanese but the menus are English and the controls are pretty tight. They supposedly did a "remake" for PS3 in a compilation recently (it's part of a series, the Dreamcast game we got here, Rise from the Ashes, is one of them) but according to reviews it's pretty bad.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Drakonis posted:

Due to a terrifying lack of cool goon channels about cool old games, I have decided to make a cool channel about cool old games at #oldgames in Synirc, I recommend connecting with Hexchat or Mibbit.

there is #retrochat(same server) we do talk about old pc stuff quite a bit, but its also got quite a bit of old console chat, and gundamns and animes and cats and weed.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you have a few bucks unspent in your Steam Wallet and don't already have Blood... what's wrong with you? Also it's now on Steam for five bucks.

The sequel is also on Steam, but you really, really shouldn't buy it.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

The Kins posted:

If you have a few bucks unspent in your Steam Wallet and don't already have Blood... what's wrong with you? Also it's now on Steam for five bucks.

The sequel is also on Steam, but you really, really shouldn't buy it.

A lot of people say Blood 2 is awful, but I mean it's not Daikatana awful or frustratingly bad. Just ramshackle in quality at best with too many gimmicky weapons and drab level design. If you can keep those in mind while playing, it can be a decently fun mindless game to kill a couple of hours with.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Steam User =T$ECore= SuspectW posted:

It is exactly same version as GOG.com. In folder you can see such files as goggame.dll, game.gog and Graphic mode setup. So no matter where you gonna buy it. It's exactly same.

Hahaha

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Blood 2 has a lot wrong with it, but it has a certain charm because deep down it realises it. Towards the end they ran out of money or time, or both, so it starts re-using levels. The between-level messages start getting almost apologetic about it - "Uh, now you're back here again! For some reason! Sorry!"

And it keeps finding new and interesting ways to go wrong

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MONKET posted:

A lot of people say Blood 2 is awful, but I mean it's not Daikatana awful or frustratingly bad.
Daikatana actually runs properly (or at least what passes for properly) on a PC that can chew up and spit out Planetside 2. When I tried Blood 2, getting it above 15-20 fps is an impossible struggle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Daikatana actually runs properly (or at least what passes for properly) on a PC that can chew up and spit out Planetside 2. When I tried Blood 2, getting it above 15-20 fps is an impossible struggle.

It didn't really work that great on contemporary hardware either. I remember playing with my Rage 128 and any texture with an alpha channel such as vertical bars on a fence or something could never be obscured by other objects. If there were miles of solid concrete separating you from the aforementioned fence you could still see it. I don't think I ever got it working after swapping it with my Voodoo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Both games desperately need source ports. Blood because it'd make a fantastic game better and easier to use, and Blood 2 because that game is barely held together as is. I mean, I like Blood 2, but good Lord, it's a mess that likes to crash every ten minutes sometimes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coincidentally, Lithtech 1.0 could only push around three triangles a frame before choking on it's own hubris.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha, what ever happened to Jason Hall?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Haha, what ever happened to Jason Hall?

He moved over to doing online shows and somehow managed to be the executive producer of the V remake from a few years ago.

The Kins posted:

Coincidentally, Lithtech 1.0 could only push around three triangles a frame before choking on it's own hubris.

Lithtech 1.0 is neat because you basically have to force it at gunpoint to work on modern OSes because of what a giant piece of poo poo it is.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 14, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Isn't the Blood source kept under lock and key because some executive believes that releasing it would mean everybody would start hacking in Blood multiplayer?

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I must've been running some ancient Martian technology because I never really encountered that many crashes with Blood 2. I distinctly remember a fuckton of lighting errors though.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Isn't the Blood source kept under lock and key because some executive believes that releasing it would mean everybody would start hacking in Blood multiplayer?

I thought they just literally lost it. Either that or it would take years of copyright and redtape dodging and hundreds of thousands of dollars just to pry it out of the hands of whoever the hell has the source code now. It's such a shame too, Blood really could benefit from a source-port. I'd much rather mod for Blood than Doom if it wasn't for the clunky default Build tools.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MONKET posted:

I thought they just literally lost it. Either that or it would take years of copyright and redtape dodging and hundreds of thousands of dollars just to pry it out of the hands of whoever the hell has the source code now. It's such a shame too, Blood really could benefit from a source-port. I'd much rather mod for Blood than Doom if it wasn't for the clunky default Build tools.

I thought I'd heard that it's still around, and that one of the guys who makes BUILD engine source ports has a copy of it? I think the problem is the death grip Atari has on it. Those fuckers. But things are a little murky too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I thought I'd heard that it's still around, and that one of the guys who makes BUILD engine source ports has a copy of it? I think the problem is the death grip Atari has on it. Those fuckers. But things are a little murky too.

Blood's project manager, Matt Saettler, has the source. He needs permission to release it, but there's zero chance in hell that either Atari or WB will ever allow the source code of one of their games to be released.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It doesn't help that "Atari" is several mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies and splits from the company that originally put out Blood, let alone from anything you could call the original Atari.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

closeted republican posted:

He moved over to doing online shows and somehow managed to be the executive producer of the V remake from a few years ago.
I just remembered the name because he did some show called 1337LoungeLive (now Twin Galaxies Live) where they occasionally had guests on and they'd hang out and play on this gigantic HyperSpin enabled arcade cabinet. Sucks about Blood though, no pun intended.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Randomly loaded up the zdoom forums today and apparently its creator disappeared and hasn't been heard of for 3 months now! Doesn't sound too good...

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Lithtech 1.0 is neat because you basically have to force it at gunpoint to work on modern OSes because of what a giant piece of poo poo it is.
Here's hoping Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza will be on GOG someday!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gashroom posted:

Here's hoping Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza will be on GOG someday!

That game wasn't actually that bad. It took out all of the cursing though, which was weird. It also hides Hans Gruber's face up until the scene where he pretends to be an American guy, as if they were fooling anyone.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
All of this Blood 2 talk makes me want to finally finish it. The last time I played, I blew up a stupid-looking knockoff of Final Fantasy VII's airship; how close was I to the end?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

All of this Blood 2 talk makes me want to finally finish it. The last time I played, I blew up a stupid-looking knockoff of Final Fantasy VII's airship; how close was I to the end?

Like, 1/4, maybe 1/2? I believe there are four chapters and that's either in chapter one or two.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Speaking of Lithtech I wish we'd get TRON 2.0 on GOG because it's actually kinda fun and was a canon sequel to TRON before Legacy came along. Probably won't ever happen though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All Blood 2 needs in order to be a half-way enjoyable game is just a user mod that triples the damage of all non-bullet based weapons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zeether posted:

I did a thing in Doom today:

That's the cockpit HUD and gun from Gundam Side Stories: The Blue Destiny on Sega Saturn, which looks like this:

I'm gonna add the muzzle flashes for the handgun and the head vulcans (you pilot a GM Mobile Suit in the game, not the Gundam itself) and sounds later. Also I have to edit the cockpit sprite because you can see the blank edges when it bobs back and forth.

Now we need to make a full Gundam themed conversion for the Doom engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ADMND