Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've seen how magic items can increase magic paths, and that summoned mages can be used to expand magic paths, but I can't quite put it all together so I can go "For nation 'X' to cast spell 'Y' I need to at have a Pretender with paths 'Z'."

Others have posted a booster list, what about an Important Summon list?

Also just looking over the list of Pretender chases available, a lot of them seem to be redundant. Also, if this game's Egyptian-themed nations are lizard people, shouldn't the Egyptian-themed Pretenders be lizard people by default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

SirPhoebos posted:

I've seen how magic items can increase magic paths, and that summoned mages can be used to expand magic paths, but I can't quite put it all together so I can go "For nation 'X' to cast spell 'Y' I need to at have a Pretender with paths 'Z'."

Others have posted a booster list, what about an Important Summon list?

Also just looking over the list of Pretender chases available, a lot of them seem to be redundant. Also, if this game's Egyptian-themed nations are lizard people, shouldn't the Egyptian-themed Pretenders be lizard people by default?

http://imgur.com/a/85QLI

With these 3 spells you will win every game. Vampire Lords, the one true summon, Send Horror, the ultimate 1 turn use summon and Astral Corruption, to end all summoning other than the previous 2 :)

You do know of the mod inspector, yes? https://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

Getting slightly serious, a lot of stuff is dependent on what you're fighting etc, but summon wolves is good if you're doing blood things because they are awesome for hunting. The king/Queen type spells are good, king of fire, queen of air etc, but what holds true is that summoning vampire lords is always a good idea.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 20, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here is a list made ages ago which still mostly applies!

http://www.moddb.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dom4-magic-path-booster-guide-by-telos

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol you wrote that? I've been pretty much living by that list over the last few weeks of dom4 playing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Didn't write it, contributed a little to it but it's big amalgamation of collective dominions sorta-wisdom! (it has lots of facts, at least)

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Hi everyone,
Decided to get Dominions 4 during the winter sale so that I can have fun lose my soul with goons. From the newbie guides I read, it's basically "test your expansion in AI games" "lose horribly in your first few games", is that correct?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yup. well sort of...

Eeepies posted:

Hi everyone,
Decided to get Dominions 4 during the winter sale so that I can have fun lose my soul with goons. From the newbie guides I read, it's basically "test your expansion in AI games" "lose horribly in your first few gameslife", is that correct?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Considering buying this but I'm only really interested in singleplayer. I've heard people say it's bad because the AI is stupid but I enjoyed CoE4 a lot and it's dumb as bricks in that game too. I like the big variety in factions in that game but it feels like every faction's gameplan is just get to lategame stuff as fast as possible, make the biggest deathball and go smash everything whereas Dom seems like it has more depth. Is it a bad idea to get this game for SP?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if you are dumb enough to enjoy single player coe you might enjoy single player domino's four in theory, but your brain is so alien to mine that its hard to fathom

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DisDisDis posted:

Considering buying this but I'm only really interested in singleplayer. I've heard people say it's bad because the AI is stupid but I enjoyed CoE4 a lot and it's dumb as bricks in that game too. I like the big variety in factions in that game but it feels like every faction's gameplan is just get to lategame stuff as fast as possible, make the biggest deathball and go smash everything whereas Dom seems like it has more depth. Is it a bad idea to get this game for SP?

As a single player game CoE is a bunch better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

As a single player game CoE is a bunch better.

I'm going to disagree here and recommend Dom4 for single player (heresy I know).

CoE4 is 'single player friendly' in the sense it focuses more on the roguelike aspect. Shorter games, the first half of the game is about exploration, lots of random events, a good number of societies and ages to try. So I can see why CoE4 is recommended for sp. But the AI is dumb as bricks, and it matters because in the second half of the game you have to expand, conquest and kill the opponents, and the endgame is a boring grind.

Dom4 endgame at least it's alleviated thanks to Thrones of Ascension (and other custom victory conditions), unlike CoE4 where you have to kill everyone.
Dom4 has even more nations and units and spells to try.
CoE4 movement is so bothersome, the way it's designed it's normal to have lots of smallish groups of units everywhere, and each turn they have to be moved manually one square or two per turn. In Dom4 the province organizations means slightly more easier handling of troops.
Dom4 AI is better than CoE4. Yes, the game is very deep and AI can't match a human, not even close, but at this point it's capable to expanding decently, attack with big armies supported by a dozen casters, make (sucky, but sometimes decentish!) thugs, use assassins, and more or less be enough of a challenge, not a real one,but one that you know you will eventually will surpass, but at least it gives you some dozen hours before it's clear you've won the game. As insufficient it is, CoE4 is even worse, it seems the tile based map makes things more complicated for it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 23, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

if you are dumb enough to enjoy single player coe you might enjoy single player domino's four in theory, but your brain is so alien to mine that its hard to fathom

It's a weird roguelike strategy thing and it's fun to summon a new cool thing I've never seen before (love the spritework) but it's gotten pretty boring now that I've figured out how deceptively simple it is. Got a good amount of time out of it for eight bucks though. It seems like MP CoE would be pretty hard to do with how short and numerous the early turns are.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DisDisDis posted:

It's a weird roguelike strategy thing and it's fun to summon a new cool thing I've never seen before (love the spritework) but it's gotten pretty boring now that I've figured out how deceptively simple it is. Got a good amount of time out of it for eight bucks though. It seems like MP CoE would be pretty hard to do with how short and numerous the early turns are.
Also it doesn't allow simultaneous turn-taking by every player like Dom 4 because????

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Eeepies posted:

Hi everyone,
Decided to get Dominions 4 during the winter sale so that I can have fun lose my soul with goons. From the newbie guides I read, it's basically "test your expansion in AI games" "lose horribly in your first few games", is that correct?

Depending on your degree of hatred for the rest of the human race you'll learn the most by hanging on till the bitter end rather than going AI after some setbacks. My biggest learning experiences have been getting demolished but hanging in so someone has had to pull out all the stops. Plus being immensely painful to kill makes people less likely to attack you in the future

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Eeepies posted:

Hi everyone,

Practice that expansion during the holidays and we'll throw up some games after.

DisDisDis posted:

If you like that kind of stuff, you'll get your money's worth in dom4 I think. There is a lot to take in in the basegame and there are hundreds of mod nations afterwards.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Get the game if it is on sale for :10bux:. I also have some extra copies I got at that price if the sale is lame.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Eeepies posted:

Hi everyone,
Decided to get Dominions 4 during the winter sale so that I can have fun lose my soul with goons. From the newbie guides I read, it's basically "test your expansion in AI games" "lose horribly Win in your first few games", is that correct?

Fixed to reflect my suggested strategy.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
dom4 has the same illwinter charm as coe4 (lots of cool spells and cool summons with cool sprites and cool flavor text) and there are a lot of different nations and strategies to explore, so if you liked coe single player you might also like dominions

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I've been playing Dominions 4 single-player for a few weeks now, with steam saying I've clocked in 30 hours so far, and it's been more than worth the sale price I got it at however long ago.

So far, I've still only scratched the surface of how to do the most basic mechanics of the game. Expanding early efficiently, building gem income, and building and fielding armies of units takes a decent amount of time to learn. I haven't learned the selection of spells nearly well enough, and the spell list is reminding me of opening a Dungeons and Dragons Player Handbook for the first time again (I started casting a wish spell and a goddamn text prompt popped up asking for what and I was like holy poo poo) and I still haven't really used the item crafting properly so I still have a shitload of learning to do.

All in all it's a very fun game to learn still even before/without trying it competitively in a multiplayer environment or modding the game.

And just worship the drat Earth Serpant you'll have enough other poo poo to worry about before complicating that too much.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trying to play MA C'Tis and i'm not sure what's a good army composition and mage building and what the heck to research.

There's so many nearly identical units and some mages basically do the same thing??

what should i be doing, monkeys, africans and tritons are invading everywhere and my tactic of vomiting snakes and large lizards everywhere only goes so far.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
choke em in poison and drown them in skeletons with foul vapors/horde of skeletons imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

summon crocodiles

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Manyorcas posted:

I've been playing Dominions 4 single-player for a few weeks now, with steam saying I've clocked in 30 hours so far, and it's been more than worth the sale price I got it at however long ago.

So far, I've still only scratched the surface of how to do the most basic mechanics of the game. Expanding early efficiently, building gem income, and building and fielding armies of units takes a decent amount of time to learn. I haven't learned the selection of spells nearly well enough, and the spell list is reminding me of opening a Dungeons and Dragons Player Handbook for the first time again (I started casting a wish spell and a goddamn text prompt popped up asking for what and I was like holy poo poo) and I still haven't really used the item crafting properly so I still have a shitload of learning to do.

All in all it's a very fun game to learn still even before/without trying it competitively in a multiplayer environment or modding the game.

And just worship the drat Earth Serpant you'll have enough other poo poo to worry about before complicating that too much.

Note that in MP, you also need to learn to expand efficiently without expanding TOO aggressively if you're using an Earth Serpent to do it. If you start crowding multiple other players too quick, coalitions to murder you can form, and human players are capable of dealing with Earth Serpents, even early on.

In a current game, while the diplo front was also helped because the player was being extremely stally, mainly it was pointing out that they'd gained 17+ provinces by the end of the first year, and was crowding multiple other players out of what was theoretically their territory to grab, that made it extremely easy to get multiple players on board the "kill them" train. Their Earth Serpent's move after the invasion was also successfully predicted and it proceeded to run face first into a pile of sacreds while trying to counter invade. It didn't survive.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Mans posted:

trying to play MA C'Tis and i'm not sure what's a good army composition and mage building and what the heck to research.

There's so many nearly identical units and some mages basically do the same thing??

what should i be doing, monkeys, africans and tritons are invading everywhere and my tactic of vomiting snakes and large lizards everywhere only goes so far.

C'tis is a cool and good nation. Like you said though, their troop lineup is lame and boring. Expand with their hosed up troops as best you can and pray you don't get rushed down by a sacred cav picker. Get forts up and begin recruiting sauros. Forts and mages are key for every nation.

Go down enchantment to get Horde of Skeletons which is the skele spam spell. Your troops are just chaff and blockers for your mages at this point. Back up your spam eventually with Foul Vapors, Rigor Mortis, Relief, and Darkness later. Basically all the battlefield spells.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Mans posted:

recruit marshmasters everywhere and have them cast horde of skeletons (enchantment 5), marshmasters have a lot of tricks up their sleeves but this is the main one

you can also switch your capital over to empoisoner recruitment and try to halt enemy stacks by assassinating their commanders, instead of rolling the dice in melee combat just cheese the 1v1 fight with animate skeleton (enchantment 1) or swarm (alteration 4)

lizard shamans are there to act as communion slaves for your astral-random marshmasters, if you don't want to deal with communions just make more marshmasters

your ideal army composition is probably a ton of marshmasters summoning six tons of skeletons every turn + some shield guys milling around in front to catch arrows. in the early game i like falchioneers because they are really cool.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

DisDisDis posted:

I like the big variety in factions in that game but it feels like every faction's gameplan is just get to lategame stuff as fast as possible, make the biggest deathball and go smash everything whereas Dom seems like it has more depth.

Yea there's tonnes of counters for everything, and ways to counter those counters, for instance:

1) Player 1 decides they are going to max resource scales and build lots of high protection elite infantry
2) Player 2 decides they will mass mages casting armor neutralising spells to kill Player 1's elite infantry while taking minimal losses themselves.
3) Player 1 decides they will start mind hunting the massed mages costing Player 1, 300 gold for each one that dies with 3-4 dieing a turn.
4) Player 2 starts conjuring spectres to counter the mind hunts and feebleminding the mind hunters.
5) Player 1 starts using seeking arrows/plague demons/ and earth elementals to assassinate the commanders instead.
6) Player 2 starts mixing in mass produced 20g commanders with all his armies to waste the gems player 1 is spending on remote spells.
7) Player 1 starts sending earthquake casters instead to kill many mages with each casting of earthquake.
8) Player 2 starts sending some armies with no mages and medium sized groups of soldiers who trigger spending gems on earthquake but dont take any significant losses, for forced fights he uses mass flight to protect his mages.
9) Player 1 starts casting rain of stones.
10) Player 2 starts buffing his mages protection with spells like wooden warriors or army of gold.
11) ETC

Each time a player unveils their counter it can cause a swing in the game (unless the other player has thought ahead and preemptively countered that counter!), for instance 2) above might result in thousands of gold of elite infantry dieing while only losing a couple hundred gold of chaff themselves. 3)/5) above might cause thousands of gold worth of mages to die before the other player can get up countermeasures. 7) above might result in 20 turns worth of mage recruitment dieing in a single turn.

Swinging around a war by figuring out a good counter is one of the memorable parts of dominions in my opinion. I.e when you have been losing 800g worth of troops in each fight to your opponent losing 550g, and they are up to 20 provinces while you are down to 6, it seems like a loss in evitable, then you hit the research necesssary to finally cast fog warriors, and in the next turn cast it in three major battles where you are massively outnumbered, but manage to kill off 4000g worth of enemy troops while only taking 700g worth of losses yourself and suddenly you're back in the game as your opponent was sending his replacment armies to another front where he is fighting another player, then you retake all your provinces while he scrambles to put together something to counter your fog warrior armies, and divert troops across the map towards you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Paper rock scissors but with 300 tools in a complicated web with a nuclear weapon at the center labeled blood.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Paper rock scissors but with 300 tools in a complicated web with a nuclear weapon at the center labeled blood.

There are some spells to kill a third of a province's population and of course, wish + wishing for armageddon multiple times. What would that be in this analogy? Bio-weapons, since you're killing of the source of blood magic, but are loving yourself up, too?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 25, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mapgoons have been running a game with the mod that was posted on the last page and it's good poo poo. I'm playing R'lyeh (wrong) and I didn't realize how strong the mind burning gibboleths were until a few turns in so my expansion is kinda poor.

I want to know if there's any cool mods out there that change up province spawns. There's a good bit of flavor already in but I'm sad there isn't a province composed entirely of pirates for example.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

Mapgoons have been running a game with the mod that was posted on the last page and it's good poo poo. I'm playing R'lyeh (wrong) and I didn't realize how strong the mind burning gibboleths were until a few turns in so my expansion is kinda poor.
Which nations are you guys running?

Glad you're having fun with it!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Which nations are you guys running?

Glad you're having fun with it!

EA Nations:
Ermor
T'ien Ch'i
Mictlan
Caelum
C'tis
Agartha
Tir na n'Og
Fomoria
Vanheim
Helheim
Niefelheim
Lanka
R'lyeh
Theodoros

I'm uh apparently also in the midst of setting up a god drat disciples game. I think #dom4goons may experience an influx after this is said and done. gently caress goons.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Jbrereton you clearly need to add more heims in the next mod.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

All the Heims are super sweet. A giant in a dragonscale hauberk cleaned up the arena last turn and i'm about to fund out if EA Rlyeh can fight undead hoplites.

I hope you guys host a newbie game soon. Is there a discord?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Jbrereton you clearly need to add more heims in the next mod.

This is true. I've been impressed with how I'm not dying yet so far, this is pretty much a first. I've been called "the best player by far" by someone which makes me worried.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 29, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

All the Heims are super sweet. A giant in a dragonscale hauberk cleaned up the arena last turn and i'm about to fund out if EA Rlyeh can fight undead hoplites.

I hope you guys host a newbie game soon. Is there a discord?
There is an IRC, which is like a discord but more antiquated, the link's in the OP.

And every game can have newbies in it, we're always willing to show people the ropes, and if you end up dying at turn 30 well you probably won't be the only guy who does!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you will learn a lot more about the game by playing a game with me and asking nuclear monkey how to kill me than you will playing a game with baudin as by far the best player in it lmao

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Someone make a Dom4 discord unironically.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Someone make a Dom4 discord unironically.

https://discord.gg/y2XSG

:tipshat:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That one expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

That one expired.

Oops I didnt see the checkbox