Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I swear, these new challenge events have brought the pubbie retards and tryhards swarming out of the woodwork. I can barely get a single win since they started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tirranek posted:

Ahh that must have been it! Didn't realise they counted seperately. Was definitely a lucky shot at that range since I was only firing the front turrets. Probably assumed 3 out of 4 hits was too unlikely.

Not really. CVs are extremely easy to citadel, especially with plunging fire. Virtually every shell that hits the deck that doesn't bounce will find its way into the citadel. Of course, you can further increase the chances by aiming for the side of the ship with the smokestacks. BBs deleting CVs in one shot isn't terribly uncommon, always consider popping a scout plane and taking a shot if a CV is in range.

And blapping those CVs never gets old. NEVER.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I had a nice round tonight where I hounded a New Mexico to death in a Furutaka. Chased him for quite a ways while he tried to run, kept setting him on fire and having to shift my attention to other threats before locking back onto him again. I dodged dive bombers from a hostile carrier and traded shots with a Gnevy who kept blinking in and out of visibility to throw shells at me. I happened catch their Independence, tagged it with fire to freeze the bombers in the air, and rippled torps into it to send it to the bottom. Target of opportunity, wasn't going to miss it. I ended up furiously throwing HE into the New Mexico and fighting his repair teams so his HP fluctuated between 100-1000 for a tense couple volleys, until his repair wore off and the fires took him down. Was trading parting shots with the Gnevy at close range, got a torp salvo off just before his shots took me out. He couldn't dodge all the torps, and followed me to our shared watery grave. Pulled over 100K damage with three ships sunk, all of those entirely my kills.

Team couldn't pull off a win, but it was fun anyways.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

God is dead.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

A_Raving_Loon posted:

God is dead.

Getting a Devastating Strike in a Karlsruhe is definitely worth bragging about.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is it just me or are the daily multipliers only 1.5x this weekend?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lakedaimon posted:

Doing any damage in a Karlsruhe is definitely worth bragging about.

ftfy

Also, is there a EU group for goons in botes? It would be nice to play with terrible goons instead of terrible pubbies from time to time, without having to reregister for the US server.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is it just me or are the daily multipliers only 1.5x this weekend?

Officially, there is no 2x weekend multiplier. There are only special events with 2x multipliers that happen to occur on almost every weekend.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Hey, Karls are natural destroyer-killers. Their rate of fire is so high they can just throw shells like an insane monkey at a carnival, and they've got a high chance of temporarily disabling their engines. They've also got enough speed and maneuverability to both chase the destroyers down and dodge their torps at any kind of range. They're not terrible against battleships either, if the battleship is engaging a more threatening target and you just tag it with HE until it does a Burning Man impression.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

blowfish posted:

Officially, there is no 2x weekend multiplier. There are only special events with 2x multipliers that happen to occur on almost every weekend.

Oh. That's dumb. Is there at least some reason why the dailies in WoWS are 1.5x instead of 2x like in WoT?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Oh. That's dumb. Is there at least some reason why the dailies in WoWS are 1.5x instead of 2x like in WoT?

because :wargaming:

The good news is that once you're past level 6 XP won't matter since you'll be permanently broke instead :v:.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

Hey, Karls are natural destroyer-killers. Their rate of fire is so high they can just throw shells like an insane monkey at a carnival, and they've got a high chance of temporarily disabling their engines. They've also got enough speed and maneuverability to both chase the destroyers down and dodge their torps at any kind of range. They're not terrible against battleships either, if the battleship is engaging a more threatening target and you just tag it with HE until it does a Burning Man impression.

You're talking about the Karlsruhe? The tier IV German cruiser? That doesn't really describe a ship that goes barely over 27kts and has probably the slowest firing guns in the game of that caliber. Unless you're just joking in which case disregard.

Unrelated, in one of the 5 games I played today to get a win in my Kiev (:smithicide:), some Fubuki player got real salty after I teamed up with a Kagero to take him down.

This never gets old. :allears:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 6, 2015

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Cobbsprite posted:

If you survive to late game and get up close to a BB, you can rapidly kill it by firing AP into the bow, stern, or superstructure. The shells are so tiny that they can't OP BB superstructures.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
The only reason he has a 43% win rate after 3000 games is because of big ol' cheaters like you!

edit: and a 39% in his Ranger after 300...whhhaaaaat!?

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
how do you get a 43% winrate
HOOOOOOOOOW

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
im real bad and have a 60% so i dont even understand how you could be so actively detrimental to your team so as to garner a 43% wr

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

By playing ranked of course :mrgw:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

how do you get a 43% winrate
HOOOOOOOOOW

By being better than WARBEASTY but not too good?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

El Disco posted:

By being better than WARBEASTY but not too good?

haha i forgot about this guy
its art, just art

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
hey guys
i've got a question
can boats be japanese?
this is important

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
can poi be japanese?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

hey guys
i've got a question
can boats be japanese?
this is important

Can love bloom on the boats?

A sidenote I becme one of those people - I got the Warspite. I paid real money for an fake old boat (floating castle). I'm really enjoying it :unsmith:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

PerrineClostermann posted:

can poi be japanese?

can poi be poi?
can poi poi poi?
poi poi poi poi?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

can poi be poi?
can poi poi poi?
poi poi poi poi?

Poi poi

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
You guys are loving terrible. :cripes:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ramjb's Warspite video is seriously making me want to buy one. Is it still that good or has it been nerfed?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

My waifu is trash.
Whoa dude, chill.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Gentlemen.. recently I acquired the bar of soap you see in the image below. True to the label I have been able to achieve naval supremacy and win every battle I have participated in since.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'm starting to feel like with the current meta its almost pointless to be a high tier cruiser. With the carrier nerfs they are rare now so your AA ability is useless most of the time. Destroyers don't have to get close to rack up kills, and your 8" guns dont put enough lead in the air (unless you're in a Des Moines or Mogami) to do reliable damage against them at 10+km. High Explosive gives you hugely diminishing returns against BBs, or you can switch to AP and try to overpen their superstructure. It feels like the only thing you can hurt easily are other cruisers, and battleships do that a whole lot better.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 8, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

demonR6 posted:

Gentlemen.. recently I acquired the bar of soap you see in the image below. True to the label I have been able to achieve naval supremacy and win every battle I have participated in since.

you're gay, lol

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

you're gay, lol

You want to touch my six inch bar of man soap don't you Deutsch? Come on, this is SEAMN, we are all bros here.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lakedaimon posted:

I'm starting to feel like with the current meta its almost pointless to be a high tier cruiser. With the carrier nerfs they are rare now so your AA ability is pointless most of the time. Destroyers don't have to get close to rack up kills, and your 8" guns dont put enough lead in the air (unless you're in a Des Moines or Mogami) to do reliable damage against them at 10+km. High Explosive gives you hugely diminishing returns against BBs, or you can switch to AP and try to overpen their superstructure. It feels like the only thing you can hurt easily are other cruisers, and battleships do that a whole lot better.

It might just be that there are a lot of "meh" cruisers at those levels. The Zao's win rate is about even with the Yamato's, suggesting a good Zao driver makes a difference. At tier 9 the Roon beats out everything (including the Iowa) except the Udaloi. At tier 8 the Mogami is second behind the Tashkent. So based on this the answer is "there's a point, as long as you're playing the best cruiser at that tier."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

you're gay, lol

No matter how weird they may come across, please do not discourage goons when they show interest or enthusiasm for hygiene.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Some of the eve goons streaming right now. Gonna play myself if anybody is online.

edit: the stream http://www.twitch.tv/themittanidotcom

Krataar fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 8, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It might just be that there are a lot of "meh" cruisers at those levels. The Zao's win rate is about even with the Yamato's, suggesting a good Zao driver makes a difference. At tier 9 the Roon beats out everything (including the Iowa) except the Udaloi. At tier 8 the Mogami is second behind the Tashkent. So based on this the answer is "there's a point, as long as you're playing the best cruiser at that tier."

Hmm yeah, but they're high tier cruiser so you still have to grind through all the not-so-good botes because nobody has millions of free XP lying around. Also high tier cruisers can reliably take down battleships if you play them like a giant destroyer and get in close enough to fire all your torpedos into them, by which i mean the 10% of the time you don't get one-shot by a BB before your lovely Japanese torpedo arcs let you fire

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

After putting a few upgrades onto the Warspite, the turret rotation has become bearable, if you plan ahead sufficiently. The rudder shift improvement also makes one of her best features even better. If you stay on the move it seems really hard for enemy BBs to get a reliable bead on you, not to mention torpedoes. I learned pretty quickly though thaat you have to plan where you're going to be jigging because otherwise you're unable to return fire for a dangerously long time. Last point, the guns seem really punchy. Been getting citadels pretty reliably.

Are there any other pointers?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tirranek posted:

After putting a few upgrades onto the Warspite, the turret rotation has become bearable, if you plan ahead sufficiently. The rudder shift improvement also makes one of her best features even better. If you stay on the move it seems really hard for enemy BBs to get a reliable bead on you, not to mention torpedoes. I learned pretty quickly though thaat you have to plan where you're going to be jigging because otherwise you're unable to return fire for a dangerously long time. Last point, the guns seem really punchy. Been getting citadels pretty reliably.

I hope you didn't put the turret rotation mod on, because that lowers your rate of fire. Whatever the Warspite has for offensive module, be it the range or accuracy upgrade, take that instead. If you're having issues with turrets not getting to target, ensure your captain has the Aiming Expert skill and plan your turns in advance, and pre-turn your guns always. Give yourself a cutoff for broadside and start turning your guns when you've fired your last shot. If you find yourself drifting out of range often, or running out of room and needing to turn around to stay in a window of islands, consider slowing down a little, alternating between the speed settings. It can throw shots off if you do turns, and usually throws off the aim of grey line torpedoes.

If a target appears directly in front or behind you, consider turning your ship, not your guns, to bring them to bear. Just remember to keep torpedoes and your available space to move around in when making that decision. You can bake these sort of plans into your normal sailing plan ("which way am I going to turn if a DD suddenly shows up behind me?") and align your ship to make the best use of your guns and minimize traverse times all in one.

If CAs and combat DDs are all about tactics, IJN DDs and BBs are about strategy.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 8, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tirranek posted:

I'd suggest the AA range upgrade because it seems to be a plane magnet and the AA, while good, is rather short-ranged.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Atago is love, Atago is life, absent minded enemy BBs are money pinatas.

Top player in ranked? Nice.

:retrogames:
Also killed by a BB in a higher tier CA, nothing see here?

Guess where that ramming damage went :dukedog:

I had wandered to within 10km of both enemy BBs and they kept shooting at our Colorados so might as well just drive straight at them. Launched torpedos at both, killed the Nagato and missed the North Carolina (e: might have hit it once, that flooding must come from somewhere), and oh hey I'm still pointed at the North Carolina who finally started shooting me and only 3km away :pram:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 8, 2015

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

I hope you didn't put the turret rotation mod on, because that lowers your rate of fire. Whatever the Warspite has for offensive module, be it the range or accuracy upgrade, take that instead. If you're having issues with turrets not getting to target, ensure your captain has the Aiming Expert skill and plan your turns in advance, and pre-turn your guns always. Give yourself a cutoff for broadside and start turning your guns when you've fired your last shot. If you find yourself drifting out of range often, or running out of room and needing to turn around to stay in a window of islands, consider slowing down a little, alternating between the speed settings. It can throw shots off if you do turns, and usually throws off the aim of grey line torpedoes.

If a target appears directly in front or behind you, consider turning your ship, not your guns, to bring them to bear. Just remember to keep torpedoes and your available space to move around in when making that decision. You can bake these sort of plans into your normal sailing plan ("which way am I going to turn if a DD suddenly shows up behind me?") and align your ship to make the best use of your guns and minimize traverse times all in one.

If CAs and combat DDs are all about tactics, IJN DDs and BBs are about strategy.

Thanks as always for the useful tips Hazdoc and El Disco. Unfortunately it was the turret rotation mod I installed so I'll remove that with shinies and take that as a lesson to read the fine print. Her guns seems pretty accurate already and I learned to pre-aim my guns pretty early with battleships. The Kawachi really cooks that into you, even if those guns work differently from most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Thanks as always for the useful tips Hazdoc and El Disco. Unfortunately it was the turret rotation mod I installed so I'll remove that with shinies and take that as a lesson to read the fine print. Her guns seems pretty accurate already and I learned to pre-aim my guns pretty early with battleships. The Kawachi really cooks that into you, even if those guns work differently from most.

:ssh: you can destroy mods without spending gold