Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's impossible to be racist about Italians

My dad got us thrown out of an italian restaurant for loudly saying "you know I hate dago food, why did we have to come here?" and a waitress overheard and called him racist for it. I don't know what a dago is though, it seems like one of those old-timey things you don't hear much anymore.

Anyway, I'd support full drug legalization if you could receive heavy fines for making an rear end out of yourself while abusing it (yes, alcohol too, even though that would mean I'd have to start being more careful about my posting). Maybe even add holding cells/tanks in public places so everyone can point and laugh at them and ruin their reputation, like they used to do with the stocks. That way they get punished adequately without clogging up the prison system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Economically it seems like state funded rehab would either break even with or make money long term compared to throwing drug users in prison. We’re paying for their support and for people to watch them either way but rehab at least has making them a productive person the goal. The rehabbed person stands a chance of coming back as a happy, healthy tax payer. The prisoner, ehhhhh

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Economically it seems like state funded rehab would either break even with or make money long term compared to throwing drug users in prison. We’re paying for their support and for people to watch them either way but rehab at least has making them a productive person the goal. The rehabbed person stands a chance of coming back as a happy, healthy tax payer. The prisoner, ehhhhh

If it were properly run, sure, but even super expensive private rehab facilities are a joke and statistics show a lot of them have a pretty poor success rates. But yes, in theory treating the addiction is better than punishing it, although I still think the people enabling their addiction by dealing/distributing should still be harshly punished.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Has the Philippines strategy of simply having random citizens murder drug dealers lowered their drug crime rate?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has the Philippines strategy of simply having random citizens murder drug dealers lowered their drug crime rate?

All crime is down except for murder actually.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My dad got us thrown out of an italian restaurant for loudly saying "you know I hate dago food, why did we have to come here?" and a waitress overheard and called him racist for it. I don't know what a dago is though, it seems like one of those old-timey things you don't hear much anymore.

Dago was coined by other Italians in reference to Italians leaving Italy to escape from Mussolini. It’s been shortened over time but originally the entire phrase was deredago

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Dago was coined by other Italians in reference to Italians leaving Italy to escape from Mussolini. It’s been shortened over time but originally the entire phrase was deredago

Shouldn't they see it as a compliment then?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If it were properly run, sure, but even super expensive private rehab facilities are a joke and statistics show a lot of them have a pretty poor success rates.
Isn't that basically because they just stop? Like, it doesn't matter if you "cure" someone of their addiction if you throw them straight back into the exact same situation they were in when they got addicted the first time. You need to actually get people to make major changes to their lives rather than just treating it as an isolated issue.

It's like if you had a school full of kids with head lice and you took one kid out, kept them isolated while you got rid of their lice, then sent them straight back to school. If all the other kids still have lice then you haven't actually solved the problem.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that basically because they just stop? Like, it doesn't matter if you "cure" someone of their addiction if you throw them straight back into the exact same situation they were in when they got addicted the first time. You need to actually get people to make major changes to their lives rather than just treating it as an isolated issue.

It's like if you had a school full of kids with head lice and you took one kid out, kept them isolated while you got rid of their lice, then sent them straight back to school. If all the other kids still have lice then you haven't actually solved the problem.

So what's the realistic solution? Saying "fix society so nobody turns to drugs" is naive and is a pipe dream. Should we keep addicts in life-long rehab facilities?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Saying "fix society so nobody turns to drugs" is naive and is a pipe dream.
Is it? I don't think that's true.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Is it? I don't think that's true.

"nuh uh" is not a valid argument. We have been trying since the dawn of civilization to make a perfect society, but we have failed and will always fail because humans are not good and we will always succumb to our baser extincts of exploiting those that are weaker in whatever way we can.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"nuh uh" is not a valid argument.
You were the one who made the claim, not me. You say that creating a society where drug addiction isn't a problem is impossible, but you haven't made an argument for that position or provided any evidence. I'm just asking you why you believe that.

We have been trying since the dawn of civilization to make a perfect society.
Have we?

humans are not good
Aren't we?

See? You're just making claims without backing them up. I just want you to elaborate. As it happens I do disagree with you, but I'm not arguing with you. At least not at this time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I only have to point at the entire extent of human history that humanity is not generally good. There are good people, but generally they are weak and will always be shut down by the rest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I only have to point at the entire extent of human history that humanity is not generally good. There are good people, but generally they are weak and will always be shut down by the rest.
No, first you have to explain what you mean by "good". Then you have to show evidence that that attribute is possessed by a minority of the population.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

No, first you have to explain what you mean by "good". Then you have to show evidence that that attribute is possessed by a minority of the population.

I know you are some kind of robot who can't understand non-australians, but I'm pretty sure you know full well what I mean by "good". And no, I don't have to do poo poo. I'm expressing an opinion, not trying to debate noted second most moronic pyf poster after myself, tiggum.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

like what do you want me to do, link the wikipedia articles of WW1, WW2, every dictatorship in history?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hitler’s only mistake was targetting minorities instead of goons’ grandparents.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's impossible to be racist about Italians

Everything south of Rome is Africa.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like the idea that human beings on a general level are all hedonistic lazy arseholes. When you put things in the context that thousands of generations of people have lived and died and the snapshot of life in 2018 is still people suffering due to uneven resource distribution, racial differences, sexism, exploitation and the class system its maybe just that we have always been massively selfish cunts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure you know full well what I mean by "good".
No, I don't. It's not as obvious as you seem to think. Everyone has their own ideas about what a good person is and in order to make sense of your claim that most people are not good I need to know what you mean by that. I could use my own definition or make wild assumptions about yours, but most likely I'd be wrong and it would only come out after we were both frustrated with each other. It's helpful to work these things out as early as possible to avoid talking past each other.

And no, I don't have to do poo poo.
You don't have to in the sense that you're required or obliged to. I was using the phrase in the same context you did, ie. that in order to make your argument you have to do this. If you don't want to make the argument then you don't have to, obviously. It's like if I said "if you want to make a sandwich you have to get some bread." I'm not ordering you to go get some bread, I'm explaining step one of the sandwich-making process.

like what do you want me to do, link the wikipedia articles of WW1, WW2, every dictatorship in history?
This started with your claim that fixing society so that nobody turns to drugs is a naďve a pipe dream. How exactly do the world wars and the existence of dictatorships prove that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This started with your claim that fixing society so that nobody turns to drugs is a naďve a pipe dream. How exactly do the world wars and the existence of dictatorships prove that?

Because first you have to kill all capitalists and that requires a war, I guess :shrug:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Claws is a bad show

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Claws is a bad show

Well weebs aren't exactly the target audience, so this isn't surprising.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now posted:

Well weebs aren't exactly the target audience, so this isn't surprising.

I just watched the fifth episode, in which it is revealed that Roller survived being shot, floating face down in a pool for an indeterminate amount of time, and being put on a boat which was then set on fire and pushed out into the Florida everglades. He was found by a kooky crazy lady who wants to keep him as a love slave. That means that the entire central thing of the show to that point, Uncle Daddy trying to find Roller's killer, was based on the fact that they found his burned up boat. No body.

Which would be fine, OK, this is a zany show where anything can happen and it doesn't have to make sense. Great. But the bulk of the episode was dedicated to the revelation that Dean was raped as a child by his foster parents.
[spoiler]and let's not even get into the fact that Des's plan to deal with the step-parents and escape suspicion for Roller's murder in one move is incredibly stupid. They established in that episode that the foster parents were rich and politically connected, what's going to happen when their deaths' are investigated? Oh right nothing, I looked it up, the show is poorly written so that will never come up again. And the line from Uncledaddy about the foster parents actually being big time cocaine dealers. What the gently caress? Des didn't know that, that was never mentioned or even hinted at in the show. They just established that they did cocaine, which even the show says in dialogue is just a thing rich people do. So it was a complete lucky coincidence that Des's stupid plan to make Uncledaddy think they were dealers synced up with reality.
I honestly thought the scene where Des explains the plan to Virginia was going to be a turning point, where Des is the one making the situation worse and Virginia has to be responsible, but it wasn't everything worked out fine despite how stupid it was.

And while I'm on that subject, holy poo poo Des and Virginia's relationship. that should be the loving core of the show. They don't get along, Des kicks her out and humiliates her, Virginia sleeps with Des's boyfriend then virginia saves Des's life and they're stuck together. That should be the emotional heart of the show. Instead, Virginia is relegated to like, fourth supporting character. And she's way more sympathetic than loving Paul, who just got out of jail for scamming the elderly but we're still supposed to root for just because she really wants to be rich. But no, the show presents Paul as a good person and Virginia as a dumb screw-up who is just endless shat on by Des.

And I'm not fooled, Claws, I see your trick! You put in two scenes for the nurse from Scrubs early on, to make it seem like she had a story, but then completely dropped it. She's just set decoration for the next four episodes, the butch dyke whose too taciturn to ever get any lines.

Claws sucks

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Of the major fast food chains, Burger King has my favorite fries. I love those flame grilled burgers, too. My only issue with them is how sloppy their burgers are; they fall apart so easily.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly, the biggest underlying problem is that Claws is trying to be basic cable Breaking Bad. It's trying to copy Breaking Bad's slightly heightened reality, the slight goofiness of the characters, while still managing to tell a serious story about people in a tough situation making ad choices. But it goes too far on the goofiness, which fucks it all up. They're cartoon characters, but then suddenly Bryce has a nervous breakdown. But it's a funny nervous breakdown! Take this character moment seriously wocka wocka!

It also won't let Des be an actually flawed character. All of her decisions and actions are presented as correct in the moment she makes them. Even if framing someone for the murder leads to Bryce getting emotionally destroyed, framing them was still the correct thing to do. Constantly berating and insulting Virginia is fine, because Des is always right and doing the right thing and Virginia really is stupid.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

A world without anyone turning to drugs would be one of two worlds: a world where drugs are made to no longer exist and the people are constantly monitored to ensure they don't try to make them again, or a world where people no longer feel the emotions that cause them to do drugs in the first place (i.e. depression, or on the other side a desire to feel the drug's feel-good effects). It's nonsense, there will always be people addicted to drugs. The only thing we can change is how it is treated.

the war stuff was about your argument that people are inherently good, which I brought up because you seem to think a perfect society is possible, not something directly related to the drug aspect.

Leavemywife posted:

Of the major fast food chains, Burger King has my favorite fries. I love those flame grilled burgers, too. My only issue with them is how sloppy their burgers are; they fall apart so easily.

I agree about the fries, but wendys has the best burgers by far. Arbys fries are the best but I rank them lower because usually I'm not in the mood for a soggy bland pile of roast beef.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I like the fries if I can eat them at the restaurant but I've found that their fries, much like their hamburgers, go sort of stale right quick smart if you take them to go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A world without anyone turning to drugs would be one of two worlds: a world where drugs are made to no longer exist and the people are constantly monitored to ensure they don't try to make them again, or a world where people no longer feel the emotions that cause them to do drugs in the first place (i.e. depression, or on the other side a desire to feel the drug's feel-good effects).
What about a world in which people are given the support and resources to deal with their problems in healthy ways? And what exactly are we talking about when we say "turn to drugs"? Does having a cup of tea count? A beer? A cigarette? If you're going with the broadest definition then you're probably right that humans will never stop turning to drugs, because a drug can be defined as any substance that modifies a chemical process in the body - which makes food, water and air drugs if you apply it strictly.

the war stuff was about your argument that people are inherently good, which I brought up because you seem to think a perfect society is possible, not something directly related to the drug aspect.
You brought up the concept of a perfect society when you said that "we have been trying since the dawn of civilization to make a perfect society". That's what I was disputing. I never made any claims about the possibility or plausibility of a perfect society, I'm just not convinced that anyone has been trying to create one. You also made the claim that "humans are not good" and I asked what you meant by "good". I'm not disagreeing with you on that point because I don't know what you're actually saying. Everyone has their own idea of what a "good person" is or does and I want to know what yours is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Obsessing over semantics is a very boring way to argue. How I define those things is totally irrelevant to my point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Obsessing over semantics is a very boring way to argue. How I define those things is totally irrelevant to my point.

How is the meaning of the words you're using irrelevant to your point? How can you even make any kind of point if you don't define your terms? I'm not arguing with you over definitions, I'm just asking you what your definitions are so that I can understand you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does he eat the whole rear end or just the main bits? We will never know.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does he eat the whole rear end or just the main bits? We will never know.

It's the whole rear end. I mean, would you waste any part of the rear end? That's a precious resources. There's only so much rear end to go around.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Being a good person means embracing the truth that nothing matters, nothing has any real value, and that life is suffering. Therefore a good person is more likely to do drugs and engage in other hedonisms (such as eating rear end).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

How is the meaning of the words you're using irrelevant to your point? How can you even make any kind of point if you don't define your terms? I'm not arguing with you over definitions, I'm just asking you what your definitions are so that I can understand you.

But we aren't ever going to get anywhere if i have to define unambiguous concepts for you like "good" and "drug". And it doesn't matter if i consider tea a drug or not, because I was obviously focusing on the unambiguous type.

And its definitely the whole rear end. I don't like to be wasteful.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wait since when is “good” unambiguous?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wait since when is “good” unambiguous?

It isn't when you start getting toward the middle of the bad-good spectrum but imho the extremes, which are what i am talking about are pretty unambiguous. Like you shouldn't need me to define goodness when i say adolf hitler wasn't a good guy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

But we aren't ever going to get anywhere if i have to define unambiguous concepts for you like "good" and "drug". And it doesn't matter if i consider tea a drug or not, because I was obviously focusing on the unambiguous type.
There is no unambiguous type though. You know exactly what you're talking about but, unless you spell it out, no one else does!

It isn't when you start getting toward the middle of the bad-good spectrum but imho the extremes, which are what i am talking about are pretty unambiguous. Like you shouldn't need me to define goodness when i say adolf hitler wasn't a good guy.
You weren't saying anything like that though. You said "humans are not good". If you meant "some specific humans are not good but this is not intended to be a blanket statement or generalisation" well then you are astoundingly bad at communicating.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"nuh uh" is not a valid argument.

Is so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

You weren't saying anything like that though. You said "humans are not good". If you meant "some specific humans are not good but this is not intended to be a blanket statement or generalisation" well then you are astoundingly bad at communicating.

That is definitely not what I was saying. The premise that we keep getting away from because of your semantics questions was that a society where nobody turns to drugs is so unrealistic it's silly to discuss it.

Whether people are good or bad is a separate but still relevant question, because what I would consider "bad people" are responsible for drugs being as widespread and abused as they are, and for a world to be completely drug-free these people would have to not exist. My argument is they will always exist, because the majority of people are either bad (opposite of good, on a spectrum going from things on the level of treating people poorly, stealing, being greedy, etc to full blown Hitler), or are willing to be complicit with the truly bad people as long as they remain comfortable. I would say the vast majority of humanity has, does, and always will lie in either the less extreme side of the former, or the latter. There is a religious side to my beliefs on this but I don't want to get in to that.