Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anybody playing Prey? How are the controls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Controls are better. Gameplay is still poo poo. Walk backwards swinging a wrench. Woo. Probably going to return the rental.

Quick edit: controls are better. Not good.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 6, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Whole lot more to gameplay in this game than combat, regardless of what you think about it (I agree it's not a strength of the game even if you're being flippant about it).

For at least a part of the game, you have to choose when to engage enemies. It's a choice because not only is survival not trivial but your resources are limited, and fighting inevitably has a cost associated with it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Whole lot more to gameplay in this game than combat, regardless of what you think about it (I agree it's not a strength of the game even if you're being flippant about it).

For at least a part of the game, you have to choose when to engage enemies. It's a choice because not only is survival not trivial but your resources are limited, and fighting inevitably has a cost associated with it.

Its bad. Engaging them is dangerous. But not fun. It doesnt feel like a desperate struggle against the odds. It feels like "do I have the resources for this lovely attrition encounter?"

I'm struggling to get to more fun spots or to have upgrades that make it fun. But this feels so bad. Bioshock 1 never felt this bad.

I'm struggling to get through till it gets better. But I'm trying to justify not returning a rental. If I had bought this for $60 I would be pissed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What the rest of the game has to offer makes up for it, for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

In an attempt to wean myself off Dark Souls 3 for a few days, I've gotten Nioh 👀

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

What the rest of the game has to offer makes up for it, for me.

Does the story get good?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

why the gently caress would you go a whole month without saving

I just assumed a game in TYOOL 2017 would have a basic auto save system :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I just assumed a game in TYOOL 2017 would have a basic auto save system :shrug:

I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Nier A is the same.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Please play the game to learn how to save.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
P5 does let you return to the last safe room you visited if you die in combat...that's kind of like auto-save right?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

JBP posted:

I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Nier A is the same.

Nier Automata did it for a thematic reason, Persona 5 does it because it's a JRPG and please save your game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time Morgana tells you to go to bed he should also add "and save your game"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every time Morgana tells you to go to bed he should also add "and save your game"

I save mine every time before going to bed in-game because the game might want to put me into a narrative bit where I won't have the option to save for like an hour and I need to leave the house to go do something.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I just started NieR:A today. That self-destruct toggle in the options menu is a major source of anxiety for me now. I don't know what I should put it at and I'm sure there's some bug gently caress you tied to it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

J-Spot posted:

I just started NieR:A today. That self-destruct toggle in the options menu is a major source of anxiety for me now. I don't know what I should put it at and I'm sure there's some bug gently caress you tied to it.
If you want to know, it's not plot/ending important, but tied to an achievement.
If the toggle is on, when you press L3 and R3 it explodes her clothes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You can get mad that you didn't save if the autosave is inconsistent or if the game never gives you a place to save. Neither of those apply to Persona 5 so if you lose progress due to not saving, it's still your own drat fault.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As a Pro owner, I have to say that it's a pity Prey doesn't offer *Something* improved.

The lack of AA and the pop-in/shimmer is really bad in spots. (So far...)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

P5 does let you return to the last safe room you visited if you die in combat...that's kind of like auto-save right?

the game actually lets you restart a boss fight if you die during one, which was a huge relief when i spent twenty minutes trying to do a boss i was underleveled for

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

If you want to know, it's not plot/ending important, but tied to an achievement.
Haha, thanks for putting my mind at ease.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

just make sure to save first if you want to self destruct in the bunker

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Does the story get good?

Don't know.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

As a Pro owner, I have to say that it's a pity Prey doesn't offer *Something* improved.

The lack of AA and the pop-in/shimmer is really bad in spots. (So far...)

I am very excited for these grandfathered pre-pro development games to finally all come out

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Lol. Is this 2B? I don't think I noticed anything like that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Don't know.

Ok. You repeatedly said "what the game has to offer" what do you mean? Sounds like you are sunk cost defending it.

It is the general atmosphere? The enemies that hide? What's the deal?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Its bad. Engaging them is dangerous. But not fun. It doesnt feel like a desperate struggle against the odds. It feels like "do I have the resources for this lovely attrition encounter?"

I've been killing phantoms on hard difficulty with nothing but my wrench and like, 8 gloo ammo just by ambushing them. That's not "attrition."

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
welp i bought persona 5, wish me luck!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Ok. You repeatedly said "what the game has to offer" what do you mean? Sounds like you are sunk cost defending it.

It is the general atmosphere? The enemies that hide? What's the deal?

The exploration, the consistent believable world, the intertwined stories the crew and their pasts tell. The freedom you have in approaching problems, and the freedom in pursuing, ignoring and discovering those problems. The fact that it rewards original thinking, meticulous investigation, and connecting those sometimes obscure dots.

The game gives you some tools of interaction and invites you to take on its world as you choose. And that promise feels far more genuine than most games in recent memory.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game honestly feels like the closest thing to a first-person metroid in its world structure that I've played since metroid prime. Except it's even more open than that because a lot of the things that block you off are limited by upgrades you can choose to prioritize in any order, which feels great. It's extremely un-railroaded once you get into it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

The game honestly feels like the closest thing to a first-person metroid in its world structure that I've played since metroid prime. Except it's even more open than that because a lot of the things that block you off are limited by upgrades you can choose to prioritize in any order, which feels great. It's extremely un-railroaded once you get into it.
That sounds really good to me, but from what people have said about the controls I know I would hate it immediately.

edit: we're still talking about Prey right? Sometimes this thread goes for pages without anyone saying the game they are talking about by name.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

That sounds really good to me, but from what people have said about the controls I know I would hate it immediately.

edit: we're still talking about Prey right? Sometimes this thread goes for pages without anyone saying the game they are talking about by name.

Just play the demo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Just play the demo.
There isn't any in Japan as far as I know. I guess I could go through setting up my US account on my PS4 pro, I didn't bother to transfer it over since I don't use it anymore. Is it worth all that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

There isn't any in Japan as far as I know. I guess I could go through setting up my US account on my PS4 pro, I didn't bother to transfer it over since I don't use it anymore. Is it worth all that?

That's up to you, but it's a expansive look at what the game offers.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Alright. You guys convinced me to give PREY another go. Will going straight to the main objectives until I get some upgrade points to actually do stuff be a good idea? I was pretty caught off guard when I didnt get 4 points like in the demo. Running around with just 1 hacking not fun.

Mimics also feel like a reload tax to me. Walk in a room. Get attacked by 4 and die. Approach again or avoid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This actually sounds exciting, especially if it really does feel organic. I totally bounced off Deus Ex Human Revolution because it was filled with all sorts of bad design choices that kind of telegraphed "These are the official approved routes to do things" and also encouraged double-dipping for XP

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Alright. You guys convinced me to give PREY another go. Will going straight to the main objectives until I get some upgrade points to actually do stuff be a good idea? I was pretty caught off guard when I didnt get 4 points like in the demo. Running around with just 1 hacking not fun.

Mimics also feel like a reload tax to me. Walk in a room. Get attacked by 4 and die. Approach again or avoid.

I'm not sure. In general I'd just advise to be very deliberate with what you do (like the mimic example, you'll learn when it's a good idea to engage and when to leave them alone, barring an ambush) and give the environment more attention then you usually would. I found a lot of stuff that seemed locked off by skills I didn't have but was accessible by less obvious means.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you would be playing it with a controller then I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I've been playing on mouse and keyboard and it's great there, but there's a whole lot of hotbar item switching which is best done with number keys, and hitting little twitchy enemies which is best done with a mouse. With the exception of the hacking minigame, it just doesn't feel like it was made for controllers at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

J-Spot posted:

just don't blow yourself up in the Bunker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just started Prey. Looks good, music is great. Loading times seem long, hope that's not a common occurrence. Left my apartment with the shower and stove on and killed myself in the first minute, so that's great, looking forward to the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just started Prey. Looks good, music is great. Loading times seem long, hope that's not a common occurrence. Left my apartment with the shower and stove on and killed myself in the first minute, so that's great, looking forward to the rest

Lol. It loads. Then it loads. What the hell? Doesn't get better.