Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the most important one of these is Pygmy Allosaurus because it literally says "Summon Dinosaur" on the actual card

short story summary: Jace has amnesia and shows up on some random island on Ixalan. He does normal castaway things, gather food, build a fire and all that for a while. Eventually he refigures out he's an illusionist(after being convinced he's crazy because all these illusions keep appearing) but that's not helpful to him there. He's somehow able to put together a stable raft and get to another island a few days later, where he tries to planeswalk away and fails. Then a pirate ship shows up and picks him up and it turns out Vraska is the captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Duress would be so bad in the current standard lol.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

the most important one of these is Pygmy Allosaurus because it literally says "Summon Dinosaur" on the actual card

short story summary: Jace has amnesia and shows up on some random island on Ixalan. He does normal castaway things, gather food, build a fire and all that for a while. Eventually he refigures out he's an illusionist(after being convinced he's crazy because all these illusions keep appearing) but that's not helpful to him there. He's somehow able to put together a stable raft and get to another island a few days later, where he tries to planeswalk away and fails. Then a pirate ship shows up and picks him up and it turns out Vraska is the captain.

You forgot the part where he's on this island long enough for them to explain he's a skinny little wuss at the beginning and then they note he's Muscle Wizard Jace by the end. He also lost the hood and cloak somewhere so unless they pull that trope where he goes back to Ravnica to find a closet filled with Jace-cloaks, he's not cloak boy.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"I'll just search my library for a dinosaur card. No, Deathmist Raptor is a dinosaur. They changed it. No, it's not a dinosaur because of the picture, the picture doesn't mean anything. They changed it. It's a dinosaur now. Hold on, let me get the link."

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Opt is better than serum visions: discuss

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Human Crouton posted:

"I'll just search my library for a dinosaur card. No, Deathmist Raptor is a dinosaur. They changed it. No, it's not a dinosaur because of the picture, the picture doesn't mean anything. They changed it. It's a dinosaur now. Hold on, let me get the link."

As I've described earlier, I've had this experience with explaining that regeneration doesn't save a creature from a sacrifice effect.

Always assume Magic players are the dumbest loving people on earth whose ability to read, write, and speak is a loving miracle.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Star Man posted:

As I've described earlier, I've had this experience with explaining that regeneration doesn't save a creature from a sacrifice effect.

Always assume Magic players are the dumbest loving people on earth whose ability to read, write, and speak is a loving miracle.

there's a difference between not knowing how the rules work, and not knowing they changed the card type to something it doesn't say, just to make the current set appeal slightly more to edh players for a short period of time

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like Regisaur Alpha, I just don't know why I'd play it over either Glorybringer or Verderous Gearhulk.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
MTG Arena confirmed to have "battling"

https://twitter.com/gabyspartz/status/905456768343449604

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Angry Grimace posted:

unless they pull that trope where he goes back to Ravnica to find a closet filled with Jace-cloaks, he's not cloak boy.

I'd design a deck around that artifact.

Also relevant, plot wise - Vraska can't planeswalk away either. So whatever is happening there is probably the plot for this block and doesn't have much to do with Bolas.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Newbie question: are all cards in the two upcoming Planeswalker decks gonna be Standard legal and if so, does either of them look like a good deck to start out with/improve with some extra cards? I think I'm hooked enough at this point that I'll end up going to the Prerelease (so that's 6 boosters I'll be getting right there) and I have been thinking about the Jace deck combined with the Ixalan Deckbuilder as a starting point to playing some FNM at my store. Currently trying to build decks for me and my friends with the Amonket DB I already have but the new set does look really cool.

And what the hell is Magic Arena gonna be, another PC client? I saw that they abandoned Magic Duels.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Calling it now, Jace is gonna turn Vraska to the good side by hypnotizing her with the good dick.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Opt is better than serum visions: discuss

I don't think anyone who current plays serum visions wants to play serum visions.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Boxman posted:

I'd design a deck around that artifact.

Also relevant, plot wise - Vraska can't planeswalk away either. So whatever is happening there is probably the plot for this block and doesn't have much to do with Bolas.

There's already a card that says that Vraska is there doing something under Bolas's orders.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Preview of unhinged land

https://twitter.com/johnavonart/status/905203615387836416

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jace will definitely have an entire wardrobe of cloaks and a card with flavor text implying how happy he is to recloak

Boxman posted:

People are concluding it has something to do with the undying sun artifact, or whatever it is called. At some point I should start posting the best of mythic spoiler, but I really enjoyed the plot summary posted there about this which concludes with the mystic artifact that blocks planeswalking being tied to Urza "because then they'll segue right into Dominaria, bam!"

Most people won't get why that's so loving funny but anyway.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

Calling it now, Jace is gonna turn Vraska to the good side by hypnotizing her with the good dick.

Turn that boner into a stoner

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Isn't it a little late to preview a card that came out 13 years ago?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Jace will definitely have an entire wardrobe of cloaks

This actually came up a while ago, he literally has one on Ravnica

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Isn't it a little late to preview a card that came out 13 years ago?

Oops! I thought it was from the new set. That's what I get for posting while trying to work when I should clearly just focus on the posting part

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Avon looked at the stacks of cash Terese Nielsen was printing with guru land playmats and realized he could get into that game too.

I'm all for it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Newbie question: are all cards in the two upcoming Planeswalker decks gonna be Standard legal and if so, does either of them look like a good deck to start out with/improve with some extra cards? I think I'm hooked enough at this point that I'll end up going to the Prerelease (so that's 6 boosters I'll be getting right there) and I have been thinking about the Jace deck combined with the Ixalan Deckbuilder as a starting point to playing some FNM at my store. Currently trying to build decks for me and my friends with the Amonket DB I already have but the new set does look really cool.

All the cards are standard legal, but they're usually intentionally underpowered so that competitive players don't try to hoard planeswalker decks. It really depends on the competition level at your store. You'll get blown out of the water trying to play a tweaked preconstructed deck against tournament-level standard decks, but you'd be fine if most of the store is at a casual level. Definitely check out the prerelease, it's the most accessible organized play for newbies.

Katana Gomai posted:

And what the hell is Magic Arena gonna be, another PC client? I saw that they abandoned Magic Duels.

Probably. They haven't really released many details yet.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Archenteron posted:

Avon looked at the stacks of cash Terese Nielsen was printing with guru land playmats and realized he could get into that game too.

I'm all for it
Huh. For something as "recent" as unhinged I would have assumed WotC owned the art. Do they own all the art going on cards now?

Arena is going to be a F2P hero based tower defense game with moba elements and microtransactions. Calling it now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Like when Lord of Atlantis got buffed by another Lord of Atlantis, right?

The tenth anniversary of the Grand Creature Type Update is only a few weeks away. JFC is the first time you people have noticed this?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

evilweasel posted:

there's a difference between not knowing how the rules work, and not knowing they changed the card type to something it doesn't say, just to make the current set appeal slightly more to edh players for a short period of time

Exactly. Any player who isn't paying attention to the Ixalan release isn't going to know these changes. Someone even taking half a year off of the game might have an incredibly annoying game interaction because of this.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

odiv posted:

Huh. For something as "recent" as unhinged I would have assumed WotC owned the art. Do they own all the art going on cards now?

Magic illustrators are allowed to sell prints and the original piece of artwork comissioned by Wizards.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I like Regisaur Alpha, I just don't know why I'd play it over either Glorybringer or Verderous Gearhulk.

We are seeing glorybringer, scarab god, verdurous gearhulk and sky sovereign all being played. If this has a shot it's by the etb trigger being extremely relevant, or the tribe being essential, as it seems weaker than almost every other option.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The tenth anniversary of the Grand Creature Type Update is only a few weeks away. JFC is the first time you people have noticed this?

that was also stupid but at least it had a much better theory: that early magic had treated the creature type as throwaway so they were improving the game by generally increasing potential tribal synergy, and at least it was one big thing

this is just "uh we want edh players to play with dinos but we didn't put enough in, so, uh, gently caress it, lets make some new dinos"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

evilweasel posted:

that was also stupid but at least it had a much better theory: that early magic had treated the creature type as throwaway so they were improving the game by generally increasing potential tribal synergy, and at least it was one big thing

this is just "uh we want edh players to play with dinos but we didn't put enough in, so, uh, gently caress it, lets make some new dinos"

Like when Phyrexian Grelmins stopped being gremlins then became gremlins again when Kaladesh launched? Was that for the gremlin edh players?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Like when Phyrexian Grelmins stopped being gremlins then became gremlins again when Kaladesh launched? Was that for the gremlin edh players?

they literally say in the article it's for EDH players. it's even in the edh section of the article if it wasn't hitting you over the head enough.

reversing previous functional errata to make the card have the type that's printed on it is always good even if its for a stupid reason though, i ain't complaining about the ice age dinosaur being a dino again

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm assuming most people don't want to have to look up every old card in gatherer as they come across them.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

For curiosity sake, are there any creatures that look like dinosaurs in one printing, but not in another?

I'm a little annoyed by the change, but it feels kinda inevitable at this point. There are so many little things like this, it's not like this is overwhelming by itself. If you take half a year off, there are just some things you're going to have to find out (eg: PWs are legendary now!).

Hearthstone apparently just changed some of the original cards from the base set for power level reasons, which is an interesting comparison. It feels wrong to me on a gut level, which is kind of ridiculous seeing as it's a completely separate thing and being digital affords them this possibility. There's no real reason I should want digital card games to have the same limitations as Magic, but it just kinda feels wrong?

Speaking of changes, big turn out for FNM on Friday and I expect it will continue through the month. A lotta buzz around the promo. It wouldn't have killed them to print some chase modern/edh stuff. A few more Noble Hierarchs in the world wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

odiv posted:

For curiosity sake, are there any creatures that look like dinosaurs in one printing, but not in another?

I'm a little annoyed by the change, but it feels kinda inevitable at this point. There are so many little things like this, it's not like this is overwhelming by itself. If you take half a year off, there are just some things you're going to have to find out (eg: PWs are legendary now!).

Hearthstone apparently just changed some of the original cards from the base set for power level reasons, which is an interesting comparison. It feels wrong to me on a gut level, which is kind of ridiculous seeing as it's a completely separate thing and being digital affords them this possibility. There's no real reason I should want digital card games to have the same limitations as Magic, but it just kinda feels wrong?

Speaking of changes, big turn out for FNM on Friday and I expect it will continue through the month. A lotta buzz around the promo. It wouldn't have killed them to print some chase modern/edh stuff. A few more Noble Hierarchs in the world wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Noble hierarch is a card they include in reprint sets they want to help push sales for. Noble hierarch is one of those cards that fits decks for almost any type of magic player. Its not something they are just going to include at fnm promo level.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Star Man posted:

Magic illustrators are allowed to sell prints and the original piece of artwork comissioned by Wizards.

It's a good thing too 'cause IIRC WotC pays them a pittance for them.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

Noble hierarch is a card they include in reprint sets they want to help push sales for. Noble hierarch is one of those cards that fits decks for almost any type of magic player. Its not something they are just going to include at fnm promo level.
Yes? Not sure if you're explaining to me the practice I'm complaining about or...?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

evilweasel posted:

they literally say in the article it's for EDH players. it's even in the edh section of the article if it wasn't hitting you over the head enough.

It's the same thing they've been doing for nearly a decade now, so now that they say it's for EDH hardly seems relevant. EDH wasn't even a thing when this began and Glowrider became a human. This was going to happen the second dinosaurs were announced as a thing in Ixalan. Every set that adds new types has always had a few old creatures that fit better under the new type. Amonkhet had Jackal Pup become a jackal now that jackal is a type.

I guess what I'm saying is, why is it a problem now and not any other point in the last decade they did it, except that this time it's an announcement now and not when the comprehensive rules update hits?

I'm assuming most people don't want to have to look up every old card in gatherer as they come across them.

It's never been easier to do so than it is now, it's easy to guess that, for example, a a card that depicts a merfolk in the art is a merfolk game piece in the first place, and the kind of people who care are the kind of people who look it up anyway, which is reinforced by point #1.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wonder if they'll ever errata all the token makers that make generic warriors, soldiers, knights, and such. A lot of times they're clearly human or something in the art.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
They've added types since the Grand Creature Type Update that have resulted in errata for existing cards:

• Rise of the Eldrazi added the Spawn type. Elder Spawn and Spawning Pit were given errata for it.
  • Mirrodin Besieged re-added the Gremlin type. Phyrexian Gremlin became a Gremlin (it was an Ouphe after the GCTU).
  • Praetor was added in New Phyrexia. Ebon Praetor and Sanguine Praetor became Praetors.
  • When Innistrad added Werewolf, this changed Lesser Werewolf, Greater Werewolf, and Treacherous Werewolf.
  • Though Kaladesh added the Pilot type, Goblin Test Pilot didn't become a Pilot until Aether Revolt.
  • Amonkhet returned the Jackal type. This changed Hurr Jackal and Trained Jackal back into Jackals, and Dauthi Jackal and Jackal Pup into Jackals for the first time.
So stop acting like this is a new thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

I wonder if they'll ever errata all the token makers that make generic warriors, soldiers, knights, and such. A lot of times they're clearly human or something in the art.

No, because that's a functional errata.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Thread has moved on a little but it's so cool to see Opt back. I've been thinking forever that they should print it into Modern; it seems almost as low-powered as a card selection cantrip can be (at least in terms of cards seen; obviously they could slash it down to a sorcery if they really wanted to troll us) and yet it's quite good in its place.