Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Foxfire_ posted:

Yeah, the "You built a time machine out of a DeLorean?" joke is that DeLoreans were notorious pieces of poo poo.s.

Everyone knows the DeLoreans were pieces of poo poo now, but I really don't think that was 'the joke' in the movie. Doc says something like "if you're going to build a time machine you might as well do it in style" and IMO there isn't any sarcasm or irony in his phrasing. Hollywood is form over function, most of the moviegoing public doesn't care that it's not a real sportscar, and it looks rad. I don't think there was any room for a subtle 'we see you, gearheads' in-joke in there.

EDIT: drat why am I getting so many lovely snipes lately? I want to keep riffing on the BTTF remake thing, but I think I'm outta steam. Have this meme that I just ripped from @bandmemes666 because it hurt me so deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Foxfire_ posted:

Yeah, the "You built a time machine out of a DeLorean?" joke is that DeLoreans were notorious pieces of poo poo. Much like Tesla, they had horrible quality control problems from the factory. They were also expensive, poor performance, and the manufacturer liked to stiff shops that worked on warranty problems. There's a reason DeLorean Motor Company went bankrupt (a couple years before BttF was filmed) without producing any other models.

Though at the same time Doc's rejoinder that he did it to "do it with a little class" also can be read as sincere. At the time it was still an exotic and futuristic-looking car, and to choose it as the basis for your time machine might be legitimately because :iia:

After all, the Lambo Countach was also ridiculously exotic and expensive and also a horrible piece of poo poo.

Whether Marty's bewilderment is because the DeLorean is awful or because it's extravagant is kind of left ambiguous and Doc's choice of the latter interpretation is a pretty good joke

e: beaten and with more confidence

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The car hitting the sieg heil mph and immediately turning into a fire

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

Everyone knows the DeLoreans were pieces of poo poo now, but I really don't think that was 'the joke' in the movie.

i think it absolutely was, even if most people who watched just weren't old enough to get it. my parents were looking at getting a car around the first time i saw bttf in like 1991, so i asked my mom if we could get a delorean and she explained the joke to me then. (she also shot down the idea of a ghostbusters car, for unrelated reasons)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll also suggest that all the throaty V8 engine noises that they dubbed in were absolutely to make the car seem as cool as possible. I don't think anyone was "meant" to come away from the movie thinking "lol Marty was trying to escape from 1955 in a tricked-out lovely kit car made by a cokehead grifter, what an idiot"

e: anyway I was just at a car show today and I saw this one

I don't care how crap it was, just look at it

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Oct 29, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in 1985 my father had a student who was an (the?) heir to the Lay snack fortune and some equally massive amount of money from the other side of the family.

she bought a DeLorean but decided it wasn't sufficiently rad so she had it painted red.

well, that's my story. god bless.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9bqgO_py0&t=205s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainViolence posted:

i think it absolutely was, even if most people who watched just weren't old enough to get it. my parents were looking at getting a car around the first time i saw bttf in like 1991, so i asked my mom if we could get a delorean and she explained the joke to me then. (she also shot down the idea of a ghostbusters car, for unrelated reasons)
That's six years after the movie and ten years after the car was launched, which I think would give it enough time to develop a reputation, especially pre-internet.

Although I'm neither old nor American enough to have had direct experience with a DMC. But I think they just though it looked cool as hell and it did. Literally no one's done unpainted stainless steel (for good reasons admittedly) car with gullwing doors in the 80s.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's several times the car critically won't start first try for no reason given. The car being lovely is part of the plot.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Karate Bastard posted:

The car hitting the sieg heil mph and immediately turning into a fire

Doktor Braun *slaps Panther tank*: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 8.8 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious poo poo!

*Shards of the final drives fall out of their casings comically*

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

More the PNW but you’re not wrong. Such a good rear end game.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Warbird posted:

More the PNW but you’re not wrong. Such a good rear end game.

I couldn’t even tell it was an rear end game from the picture

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
All games are rear end games if you're skilled enough

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Game is called Boong-Ga Boong-Ga - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boong-Ga_Boong-Ga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6sXy4ZHhA&t=203s

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Mister Speaker posted:

Everyone knows the DeLoreans were pieces of poo poo now, but I really don't think that was 'the joke' in the movie. Doc says something like "if you're going to build a time machine you might as well do it in style" and IMO there isn't any sarcasm or irony in his phrasing. Hollywood is form over function, most of the moviegoing public doesn't care that it's not a real sportscar, and it looks rad. I don't think there was any room for a subtle 'we see you, gearheads' in-joke in there.

When the movie came out both Marty and the audience were 100% aware DeLoreans were crap. Doc's reaction is completely sincere and at the same time he's obviously hugely oblivious, either because he's a shut in or because he's (supposed to be) old.

But at the same time you can imagine him thinking it was an amazing score -- this super exotic looking car, with a protective steel exterior, and he was probably able to snatch it up for a song from someone who was overjoyed to get rid of it.

Like a lot of the humor, it works now, and it worked even better then.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mister Speaker posted:

Roni! Roni, it's your cousin, Marvin Size! You know that new sound you were lookin' for? Well listen to this!

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Karate Bastard posted:

I can't believe there are no hits on google for mpregozhin.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but wasn't the in-universe explanation of why he chose the DeLorean because of the Stainless steel panels being better at conducting the timestream or whatever?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ExplodingSims posted:

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but wasn't the in-universe explanation of why he chose the DeLorean because of the Stainless steel panels being better at conducting the timestream or whatever?

No no no, it's the cocaine hidden in the frame that interacts with the flux capacitor that allows it to time travel, keep up nerd.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
its because deloreans are hot.

e:

Doc knew what the ladies like. Big boxes with wing doors.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Boba Pearl posted:

she don't miss

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cavill's a pretty bad actor, full stop.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

there are certainly better actors but he's not bad imo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Do other actors come with Arm Reload Action?

Didn't think so.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Infinitum posted:

Didn't think so.

If someone cocked their forearms like pump action shotguns I'd just give up the fight right there. I do not want that. Leave me alone.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Didn't think so.

Fuckable != Good

Like it's cool. I'm straight and I'd gently caress him. He's gorgeous. But like, we have a decade of him in movies. We know his range. Be honest with yourself here. Not me, just yourself.

But hey far be it from anyone to tell Warner Bros. how to keep losing money in the 2020s right? He hits ctrl-f a lot when marketing checks out reddit so that must mean he's a big draw.

:goonsay: tax:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I'm so proud of myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

Hey it's friday, these are my favorite memes from tiktok I saved over the week.

thank u for this very untidy post i liked the content and also the formatting

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

agreed, but you don't need a good actor for geralt or superman

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I kinda think you do need a good actor for Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Reeve was so good that a bunch of the production team were convinced there actually were two different actors for Clark and Superman.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

What's the deal with the hate for the witcher series on netflix anyway? I've played the 3 main games, read all the books, and watched the series, and I don't get the hate. It's a decent show, the books are so-so, the games are pretty great -- is there something I'm missing or is it all just impotent nerd rage because it's not 1000% faithful to the books or games? I remember when the casting came out there was also a lot of racism going on, is this just more of the same garbage internet outrage? I really haven't been keeping track so I was a bit surprised to hear that Cavill left

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

boofhead posted:

What's the deal with the hate for the witcher series on netflix anyway? I've played the 3 main games, read all the books, and watched the series, and I don't get the hate. It's a decent show, the books are so-so, the games are pretty great -- is there something I'm missing or is it all just impotent nerd rage because it's not 1000% faithful to the books or games? I remember when the casting came out there was also a lot of racism going on, is this just more of the same garbage internet outrage? I really haven't been keeping track so I was a bit surprised to hear that Cavill left

The show is fine: good bits with some less great bits (with a few episodes being very good). The biggest complaint seems to be the writing, which I can see being legit. But most of the bitching is it not being enough like their head canon. The racism was centered around Triss being played by a not-white actress, the biggest of crimes.

Cavill was great as geralt and was really enthusiastic about the source material so it's a bummer he wants to go back to lovely DC movies.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Boba Pearl posted:

e:

Doc knew what the ladies like. Big boxes with wing doors.

It’s even funnier when you realize the trunk is under the massive hood and the engine is in the back. I think it only had a paltry 110hp or something massively underpowered.

It was essentially a classic VW Beetle engine put in a sports-car.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For those of us who are not car pilled, why do you need all those horsepowers anyway? As long as you can go the speed limit with 4 guys, isn't that enough?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is useful to be able to get up to speed quickly, it can be quite hard to drive a car if it is very slow to accelerate because it means you need very big gaps in traffic to safely join a road, whereas if you can get up to the speed of the road you are joining faster then you can do it safely in a smaller gap. Also being able to drive up hills at normal speed without the engine screaming at you, that's nice too. Getting stuck behind a cyclist going up a hill is very annoying in a crap car because you can't overtake them safely because the car just won't accelerate properly, so you annoy them by following them up the hill having it stuck in some awkward gear with the engine gunning, and you annoy everyone behind you because you can't overtake without driving into oncoming traffic for 15 seconds.

Also some people like driving like oiks I guess.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Oct 30, 2022

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

DyneAvenger posted:

The show is fine: good bits with some less great bits (with a few episodes being very good). The biggest complaint seems to be the writing, which I can see being legit. But most of the bitching is it not being enough like their head canon. The racism was centered around Triss being played by a not-white actress, the biggest of crimes.

Cavill was great as geralt and was really enthusiastic about the source material so it's a bummer he wants to go back to lovely DC movies.

Also, of course, black elves. Just non-white people in general. Can't have those in my adaptation of the book series that constantly, incessantly hits the reader over the head with cartoon wooden mallet labeled "RACISM IS BAD", and it's apparently not enough for people to get the point.

The actress for Triss was loving awful though. I wanted her to be good after seeing all the racist rage but nope, completely phoned it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Not to go too far off topic but Hyundai's new prototype is like a DeLorean if they kept making them every year