Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Pulse is good as hell, assuming it's the Japanese one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Parallax posted:

Pulse is good as hell, assuming it's the Japanese one

It tis. We're a good 10 years away from anyone being nostalgia-drunk enough to think the remake was any good.

---

Those Macbeth and Hannie Caulder Olive Signature Edition BDs are up for preorder now.

Macbeth - http://amzn.to/2cLjneZ

Hannie Caulder - http://amzn.to/2cfAKTd

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mallratcal posted:

Arrow is releasing more great schlock in December.

Hell Comes to Frog Town and The Guyver, are highlights.

I recently watched Hell Comes to Frog Town for the first time and it is amazing. Especially when I realized it had the same plot as Mad Max: Fury Road.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SimonCat posted:

I recently watched Hell Comes to Frog Town for the first time and it is amazing. Especially when I realized it had the same plot as Mad Max: Fury Road.

I am pretty sure it's Roddy Piper fan fiction as written by Roddy Piper, and it's UK only?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mallratcal posted:

They also posted on facebook that "2017 is going to be an exciting time for fans of Arrow and Argento"

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

People poo poo all over Creepshow 2 and in some ways they're absolutely right, but the THANKS FOR THE RIDE, LADY segment is pure art.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that Donnie Darko release going to have anything not on the us releases? It's fascinating how much goodwill Kelly has burned with literally every other movie he's done. The Box was ok.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Amazon has an exclusive version of the Preacher season 1 BD with extra content on a bonus disc - http://amzn.to/2bZMQC4 .

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jack Gladney posted:

Is that Donnie Darko release going to have anything not on the us releases? It's fascinating how much goodwill Kelly has burned with literally every other movie he's done. The Box was ok.

I haven't compared the special features yet, but just the transfer alone sounds like it's new - 4k-sourced "restoration" of both the theatrical and directors cut. Not that the old BD was too shabby looking, but I'm definitely curious to see this new scan.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

The only thing I noticed is some new interviews.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

drat I wish I could cop that Zelig one

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Are the UK Arrow releases region-free?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Daveski posted:

Are the UK Arrow releases region-free?

Nope, Region B.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jack Gladney posted:

The Box, like the movie with Cameron Diaz and Frank Langella? That movie sucked out loud, holy poo poo. It took a good Twilight Zone episode and filled it with incomprehensible bullshit to pad it out to a 2-hour runtime, and it was painful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mallratcal posted:

Hell Comes to Frog Town isn't even bad in a fun way. It's just painful.

caligulamprey posted:

People poo poo all over Creepshow 2 and in some ways they're absolutely right, but the THANKS FOR THE RIDE, LADY segment is pure art.

The only clunker in that movie is the wooden Indian segment, the rest is gold. I think some people dislike it because it's not as good as the first film and it drops the whole comic booky EC thing it had going on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Creepshow 2 has the tar monster, yeah?

Edit: Yeah it does. That and the aforementioned segment make it worth watching.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jack Gladney posted:

I like Southland Tales a LOT more than I should. It's hilarious.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Southland Tales is goddamned amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Creepshow is slightly better than Creepshow 2, just because it has 5 stories, which is a better number for an anthology. All three segments in Creepshow 2 are good though, even Old Chief Woodenhead.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Creepshow is slightly better than Creepshow 2, just because it has 5 stories, which is a better number for an anthology. All three segments in Creepshow 2 are good though, even Old Chief Woodenhead.

I mean that segment isn't terrible, it's just much weaker than the other two.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure it's Roddy Piper fan fiction as written by Roddy Piper, and it's UK only?

Armyman25 posted:

Hell comes to Frogtown Who knew that Mad Max: Fury Road borrowed its plot from a low budget Roddy Piper vehicle? Piper stars at Sam Hell, one of the few fertile men left after the apocalypse. Captured by the government, he's given over to the care of Sandahl Bergman to rescue a group of fertile women being held as the harem of a desert warlord, who happens to be a mutated frog. Piper is given an explosive chastity belt that is set to go off if he uses his equipment for anything other than government sanctioned use. The movie features "Lord Toadie," the evil frog warlord, dressed as the Lord Humongous, who forces Bergman to dance for his "three snakes."

Lots of tongue in cheek humor here, but the creature effects aren't bad, and I have to give Piper and Bergman credit for actually appearing to try even though the story is ludicrous and mostly shot in the same desert where Captain Kirk fought the Gorn. The movie borrows heavily from other movies, quoting Indiana Jones holding a rocket launcher, the Three Stooges eye poke, and again, Captain Kirk kicking Kruge off the edge of a cliff.

It ends with Bergman promising to take some leave with Piper, after he's done impregnating all the rescued women. This movie made a very weird double feature with Children of Men

Also stars Rory Calhoun as an old uranium prospector, and William Smith as an arms dealing Border Patrol agent who wants to cause another nuclear war to destroy the post-apocalyptic matriarchy.

Not quite Max, Furiousa, and the Wives, but it'll do:

It's a good bit of fun.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo, are they releasing the original gory version of The Guyver or the lovely "director's cut" version?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh poo poo, are they releasing the original gory version of The Guyver or the lovely "director's cut" version?

Looks like it's the Directors cut, bummer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I was gonna say, if the loving Guyver is what finally gets me to buy a region-free player, that's pretty hosed up. Bullet dodged, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was a much bigger fan of Guyver: Dark Hero (even though it was filmed in a park). Even Luke Skywalker can't save the original for me.

VvV
The Sci-Fi channel ran a double feature once. That's probably the version they played.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 11, 2016

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, there's a goreless version of The Guyver? The gently caress? Even as a kid, the gore was easily the best part of that movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, weirdly enough the theatrical version was the toned down "director's cut" and the original VHS was the gorier version

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So this seems like the best place to ask this question. I've recently moved to another country, and had to leave my collection behind. So I've been getting some essentials on digital from Amazon. Does amazon do holiday type sales for their digital movies? For an example, I can get the 6 movie collection for Star Wars at $85 but I can wait if it will go down in price in the next couple months.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Theres a coupon deal thread just for digital movies and TV show deals.

I'd say sales are more rare than physical though but it could be worth waiting for black Friday and such.

You can also start a thread asking to buy people's ultraviolet codes. Fastest and cheapest way to build up a digital collection.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kingtheninja posted:

So this seems like the best place to ask this question. I've recently moved to another country, and had to leave my collection behind. So I've been getting some essentials on digital from Amazon. Does amazon do holiday type sales for their digital movies? For an example, I can get the 6 movie collection for Star Wars at $85 but I can wait if it will go down in price in the next couple months.

They do sales but they very rarely do deep discount sales. The recent trend is that really old movies get marked down to $5-7.99 while newer movies or super popular movies get marked down to $9.99. And they've been getting really hot on doing $0.99 rentals for certain movies. I watched Creed, Hateful Eight and Anomalisa that way.

Depending on what country you're in, you may be able to watch the Star Wars movies on your local Netflix. That would be worth a check.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 11, 2016

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The preorder for the new 4k restoration of Johnny Guitar, one of the first Olive Signature Edition releases, is down to $16.99 - http://amzn.to/2cwzf0K

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Glengarry Glen Ross - October 11 - $9.84 - http://amzn.to/2coFvNU

Rush Hour Trilogy - October 11 - $14.99 - http://amzn.to/2cbLiVI

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Glengarry Glen Ross - October 11 - $9.84 - http://amzn.to/2coFvNU

Rush Hour Trilogy - October 11 - $14.99 - http://amzn.to/2cbLiVI

ABC
ALWAYS
BE
CHRIS TUCKER

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The 4k restoration of High Noon is now also $16.99 - http://amzn.to/2d0D1oA

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Apparently not only is Arrow's run of The Human Condition actually going to be legitimately limited, but they've sold through 40% of the available stock already.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

New Frankenstein set is nice. It has the entire Universal series (Frankenstein, Bride, Son, Meets The Wolf Man, Ghost, House of, House of Dracula, and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein)

Also, Criterion's new edition of The Immortal Story is one of the best looking discs I've ever seen:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

trdn89 posted:

Apparently not only is Arrow's run of The Human Condition actually going to be legitimately limited, but they've sold through 40% of the available stock already.

Is there any reason to think that Criterion won't out out a region A version within the next few years?

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

Is there any reason to think that Criterion won't out out a region A version within the next few years?

It's not out of the question, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that a Criterion release is even rumored; Arrow's release is available now. The Arrow set is also likely to be cheaper than a hypothetical CC BD release - my Arrow set cost about $45 shipped from Amazon.co.uk, which is about as much as Criterion's DVD set goes for now (and it also retailed for $80 originally).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The black & white Mad Max: Fury Road preorders are up.

Mad Max: Fury Road (Regular version and Black & Chrome version double feature) - http://amzn.to/2cE46hU

Mad Max High Octane Collection (All 4 theatrical films, plus 4K UHD and Black & Chrome versions of Fury Road, and some new documentaries) - http://amzn.to/2cZDOFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If you have an FYE in your area you might want to check them out because they have every season on the X-Files on blu-ray for 9.99 each.

• Locked thread