Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Google really needs to learn that the thing to do is to make Chrome for Android full featured after like 7 years, instead of trying to shove Android support into their silly little custom Linux build that they call ChromeOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That would be terrible and wrong because Chrome for Android is poo poo and should just burn. Making an Android browser that isn't rear end seems to be harder than putting Android applets into Linux anyhow.

On top of that, Chrome OS isn't hindered by Qualcomm, driver blobs, and their assorted issues that decentralizes Android updates. Google has tried almost as many ways to tackle fragmentation as they have wakelock drain and instant messaging. Android should continue to be on phones, but ChromeOS tablets are the future, not Android tablets. Especially since Apple is adding so many tablet-specific features that iOS might as well be a different distro than the iPhone one, and you can get one new for $350. Meanwhile, Android is always going to have trouble convincing developers to not display a 10" whitespace with 4.7" of visual information stretched across it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 28, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I guess I'll throw this in here, there's the Lenovo Yoga Book which has an Android (or Windows 10) version for around $300 used/refurbed. It's more of a tablet than a notebook, but does have that pseudo-physical keyboard for when you want it (or would like to draw on it with the included stylus.) Otherwise, it's a pretty powerful and large Android tablet with a nice display, and there aren't a ton of other options so I figured I might as well point it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Further proof that 2:1 Chromebooks are where it's at.

https://chromeunboxed.com/new-chromebook-eve-gets-double-tap-function-like-the-pixel/

'Kevin' is barely released (Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro) and Google is already working on a new flagship 'Eve' that seems to have some sort of double tap functionally and a fingerprint sensor.

drat it, I just thinking about buying a Chromebook but I'd much rather have one from Google. I need to replace my MacBook Air and while I don't mind buying another Mac for $1500 I don't run any programs at all and only use Google services so I feel like a good Chromebook is what I want.

Honestly if they still made the Pixel Chromebook I'd get that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I honestly don't know if Google is going to make a Chromebook themselves again. It seems like what they are doing with Chromebooks is halfway between the Nexus program and Pixel program. They have significant say over the hardware involved and retain all software control, but the manufacture gets to keep their name on the device.

The Chromebook Plus/Pro is a very nice device and I was thinking of trading in my HP Chromebook 13 (which itself is a very nice device) in on one. I just wish I had a timescale of when Eve is. If it's going to be 9 months before it is out, then I may not wait on it. If it's 3 months, then maybe.

The biggest con of the Plus/Pro is the keyboard. It's a little mushy and not backlit. My HP has a fantastic keyboard.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bull3964 posted:

I honestly don't know if Google is going to make a Chromebook themselves again. It seems like what they are doing with Chromebooks is halfway between the Nexus program and Pixel program. They have significant say over the hardware involved and retain all software control, but the manufacture gets to keep their name on the device.

The Chromebook Plus/Pro is a very nice device and I was thinking of trading in my HP Chromebook 13 (which itself is a very nice device) in on one. I just wish I had a timescale of when Eve is. If it's going to be 9 months before it is out, then I may not wait on it. If it's 3 months, then maybe.

The biggest con of the Plus/Pro is the keyboard. It's a little mushy and not backlit. My HP has a fantastic keyboard.

If you ask me, it's because making more HW under their name would make their "how can we be a ecosystem lock-in datamining monopoly when we gave you a free OS" facade even flimsier than it already is.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Palladium posted:

If you ask me, it's because making more HW under their name would make their "how can we be a ecosystem lock-in datamining monopoly when we gave you a free OS" facade even flimsier than it already is.

I think it is mostly that making good hardware requires careful planning and management of logistics, and Google is unwilling to dedicate enough resources to the task to do a good job on that. It is more profitable for them to have e.g. more people working on inserting ads into Google Maps or whatever.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Protocol7 posted:

That still requires Google to care enough about tablets to run a sale.

Yeah, not holding my breath either.

I should have clarified that I would purchase a used Pixel C if it was closer to $200.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MrNemo posted:

It's a shame since I quite like my Nvidia Shield. It's a great size for travelling with and covers all my browsing/email needs. I've got a slightly beefier laptop with a decent keyboard for when I have to travel and need to do actual work that is just way too big and heavy unless I definitely need to write reports or proposals or something. Even larger form tablets aren't really what I want and phablets are both too big for phone usage and too small to be comfortable using for extended periods. Maybe I'll get a K1 before they stop making them and just hold onto that.

I'd say part of the reason for the decline has also been the increasing availability for mobile apps or mobile designed sites. The extra screen real estate of a tablet isn't as necessary for comfortable web browsing anymore.

Too late as Nvidia stopped producing the tablet part of the Shield since Nintendo released the Switch :sigh:

The only few models available are pre-owned and $250+ on the gray market. Gdt yet again I'm late to the decent tablet game b/c I kept hoping for a N7 2017 32GB to replace my 2013 N7.

Is there a huge downside for the cheapo Fire tablets other promoting amazon slavery? I just use my N7 to check email and read ebooks/PDFs. I really would not browse the web since mobile sites are so terrible even in the good days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fire tablets are fine for that usage.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If I put play store on a Fire tablet will I have access to my play store books? Or am I still locked into Amazon ebooks and can just use play store for apps? I don't have a huge collection, but it'd go a little ways toward convincing me to ditch my 1st gen Shield tablet for a Fire if I could continue reading the couple of books I'm reading at the moment.

Battery issues are really starting to get annoying on this stupid Shield.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How are the screens on the Fire tablets for general video watching? I don't have that high a standard for a screen the size of a hardback book but I'd like things not to be blocky or blurry.

e. Thinking things like Netflix/Amazon Prime video rather than my massive high-res library of Japanese Cultural Animated Artifacts Of An Adult Persuasion.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Inspector 34 posted:

If I put play store on a Fire tablet will I have access to my play store books? Or am I still locked into Amazon ebooks and can just use play store for apps? I don't have a huge collection, but it'd go a little ways toward convincing me to ditch my 1st gen Shield tablet for a Fire if I could continue reading the couple of books I'm reading at the moment.

Battery issues are really starting to get annoying on this stupid Shield.

You can read your Play books.

docbeard posted:

How are the screens on the Fire tablets for general video watching? I don't have that high a standard for a screen the size of a hardback book but I'd like things not to be blocky or blurry.

e. Thinking things like Netflix/Amazon Prime video rather than my massive high-res library of Japanese Cultural Animated Artifacts Of An Adult Persuasion.

My Fire HD 7 is fine to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

silence_kit posted:

I think it is mostly that making good hardware requires careful planning and management of logistics, and Google is unwilling to dedicate enough resources to the task to do a good job on that. It is more profitable for them to have e.g. more people working on inserting ads into Google Maps or whatever.

Also, Google usually hops into the hardware game when they feel like the regular manufacturers running their stuff aren't performing up to scratch and want to show them up through competition. It's a little like how their original reason for creating Chrome was to make MS and Mozilla to put in some effort and get their javascript processing faster to match it so Google could write complex webapps.

Chromebooks are being handled pretty well by third parties, there's nothing a Google device would bring.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

MikeJF posted:

Chromebooks are being handled pretty well by third parties, there's nothing a Google device would bring.
A good design without a lovely logo or any of the weird compromises they all seem to have. I'd buy a new Chromebook Pixel with a fingerprint reader and stylus support for $1000+.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I'd buy a new Chromebook Pixel with a fingerprint reader and stylus support for $1000+.
Yeah I think you're an outlier on that one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah I think you're an outlier on that one.

I'd be an outlier with him. I don't even care about Android apps on it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'd just buy a sleek gaming laptop with that kind of cash

Spending 4 figures on an android/chromeOS device would just feel gross

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On one hand, I agree.

On the other hand, I just did that buying a new Surface to pretty much use for the same purpose.

Sure, the POTENTIAL is there to do more, but I rarely do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I loving love my $250 Acer Chromebook. It's awesome for web browsing, email, and Google productivity, plus I can just remote in to my desktop when I want to run something in Windows.

And it's got a 1080p screen for Netflix. I'd be way more paranoid about losing it while traveling if it were more expensive. It's cheap enough that losing it would stuck, but there's nothing on the local hard drive but some ebooks for when I'm flying, and replacing it is eminently affordable.

As an old person, it's incredible to be packing that kind of power at that low of a price. Better than flying cars.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm pretty sure you have to install the Prime Video app through the Amazon Appstore.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
https://www.amazon.com/get-appstore

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

Do I have to jailbreak to access that? All I see is the play store...

Get the Amazon store app from Amazon themselves. Then through their app you install the video app.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
That's odd. Do other apps show the Install button at the top? I searched for Prime Video on my Pixel XL and the install button shows up. The Nexus 7 has Marshmallow and there's no way PV requires Nougat so I don't know what the issue could be.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Thanatosian posted:

I loving love my $250 Acer Chromebook. It's awesome for web browsing, email, and Google productivity, plus I can just remote in to my desktop when I want to run something in Windows.

And it's got a 1080p screen for Netflix. I'd be way more paranoid about losing it while traveling if it were more expensive. It's cheap enough that losing it would stuck, but there's nothing on the local hard drive but some ebooks for when I'm flying, and replacing it is eminently affordable.

As an old person, it's incredible to be packing that kind of power at that low of a price. Better than flying cars.
What model is that, out of curiosity? It sounds like a deal, I found a Chromebook for < €250 but it doesn't have a 1080p screen.

e: Aha here's a 1080, but it's > €100 more: http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-cb3431-14-full-hd-chromebook-silver/339809/401.0.2

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

What model is that, out of curiosity? It sounds like a deal, I found a Chromebook for < €250 but it doesn't have a 1080p screen.

e: Aha here's a 1080, but it's > €100 more: http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-cb3431-14-full-hd-chromebook-silver/339809/401.0.2

This is it: http://a.co/abxQnd5

The plastic definitely has a bit of a cheap feel to it, and I hate the touchpad (but that's true of all touchpads). Chrome Remote Desktop works remarkably well, even from a very long distance (latency can get annoying, but that's physics for you).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thanatosian posted:

Chomebooks are awesome. I already had all my poo poo on Google, my work is on G Suite, I have 1TB of storage on G Drive and a gigabit internet connection at home.

I don't give a poo poo about this computer, break it, steal it, lose it, it's disposable and all my data is already backed up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

and I hate the touchpad (but that's true of all touchpads).

You should check out these things called "MacBooks". Turns out they figured out trackpads a decade ago.

Speaking of, I ended up getting a MacBook Pro instead of a Chromebook because if you want to actually touch a Chromebook that's more than $250 in a store, it's just not possible. I'd have been more than willing to spend good money on a good Chromebook and from what I understand there's a few out there but I'm not going to do it sight unseen.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I dunno about anyone else but I'm not really willing to spend €2k on something which I'm probably just going to use for web browsing, email and Netflix.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I dunno about anyone else but I'm not really willing to spend €2k on something which I'm probably just going to use for web browsing, email and Netflix.

I think we can safely assume your attitude is shared by 90+% of everyone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a Galaxy E Tab here that belonged to a recently passed away family member of a client. The thing is locked out, and factory reset triggered the reset protection so its asking for her old email which they also cant access. I'm reading about a method to get around it by installing something via OTG but its not working. Any other tricks to get around this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

codo27 posted:

I have a Galaxy E Tab here that belonged to a recently passed away family member of a client. The thing is locked out, and factory reset triggered the reset protection so its asking for her old email which they also cant access. I'm reading about a method to get around it by installing something via OTG but its not working. Any other tricks to get around this?

You may be able to pull the data off of it when it's rebooted into one of the various recovery modes, here's the instuctions for how to get into them:

Recovery Mode Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6″

Turn off the device
Press and hold Volume UP key + Home Key
then Press and hold Power key while pressing these keys
Release all keys when you see Android System Recovery
Use Volume UP key and Volume Down key to select Menu
Use Power key to Confirm or Execute Menu

Download Mode or ODIN Mode

Turn off the device
Press and hold Volume Down key + Home key
then Press and hold Power key
Release all keys when you see ODIN Mode
Use Volume Up key to continue
Use Volume Down key to cancel ( Restart the device )

You may then be able to pull files off of it with ADB or use one of the unofficial ODIN tools to do the same - using the USB cable to a computer of course - but all that might have actually been encrypted by the original owner's password making recovery of the contents impractical. Odin mode and Samsung's official tools should still allow you to forcibly reset the device so someone else can use it, by replacing the current onboard storage with a fresh copy of official Samsung firmware if that's all you care about.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh the files aren't an issue, they just wanna be able to use the thing. I tried every trick I could find online but they all seem to be patched. Odin I think is gonna have to be the way now which isn't a problem long as it works

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google adding touch friendly launcher to ChromeOS.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/7/15934418/chrome-os-touch-desktop-redesign

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we wouldn't be better served by a Google Tablet Thread instead of Android Tablet Thread...

Is there a Chromebook thread somewhere?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Not that I know of. I've considered making one if there was enough interest.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Google adding touch friendly launcher to ChromeOS.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/7/15934418/chrome-os-touch-desktop-redesign

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we wouldn't be better served by a Google Tablet Thread instead of Android Tablet Thread...

It's definitely time for a new thread with an OP that mentions the current state of Android tablets and I'd agree that Chromebooks should be lumped in there with them since it's pretty obvious that's the direction of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

Odin mode and Samsung's official tools should still allow you to forcibly reset the device so someone else can use it, by replacing the current onboard storage with a fresh copy of official Samsung firmware if that's all you care about.

No sir. Used Odin to flash the firmware and the FRP is still on. Strangely enough, it even still knew my wifi info after the flash.