Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wait, they failed children in school in a resume writing class for not having an impressive enough list of past work experience??? Were they like expecting paper routes, or working in the local textile sweatshop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
loving big government regulations preventing our kids from acquiring valuable experience in growth fields like mining, digging holes and burger and house flipping!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
New title?

Canada Debt Bubble: growth fields like mining, digging holes and burger and house flipping!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
In my year ~'99 you had to have 80 hours of real work experience to pass IIRC. You could get by with volunteer work.

I thought it was dumb at the time but something that teaches a bit about financial literacy is in theory super valuable. I think we spent time learning how to balance a chequebook haha.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

YeOldeButchere posted:

I was always under the impression it was part of the province-wide Quebec curriculum, but I guess not?

I believe Economie Familiale evolved into Education Economique... Then Education Economique also got canned in 2009 because reform reasons?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

In my year ~'99 you had to have 80 hours of real work experience to pass IIRC. You could get by with volunteer work.

This is exactly what it was. Except in a tiny village with no where to work or volunteer.

edit: I AM exaggerating a bit. There was one guy from out of town whose family owned a fish farm, so he got that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

how to balance a chequebook.

I'm pretty good at the monies, and I don't quite comprehend what's even meant by this term. I trust it's something one did prior to banks having web apps?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In my CAPP class we all said what we wanted to do when we grow up and they tried to send you somewhere related. I wanted to be an architect so they sent me to BCBC (British columbia buildings corporation) since I also had some highschool level drafting experience. So, off I went to this huge office building out in the suburbs to work at a real government ministry or crown corporation or what ever the heck it is. The first day I got there the manager told me he was really busy and probably switching departments soon but go talk to this other guy who will sort you out. For the first day some draftsmen were letting me watch what they do and showing me their general workflow when designing office space. The next time the manager wasn't there so some other worker got me sorting old paper blueprints (which were still very common in the 90's) that hadn't been scanned yet and compare them to a list to sort them. The guy overseeing me then went on vacation so some random other worker had me dumped on them, he didn't know what to do with me so he took me to the new temporary manager. He told me he had the perfect job for me, hundreds of letters were written up to ask some survey of government workers regarding their office spaces, but one of the questions was later determined should not be on the survey for privacy reasons. They wanted to re-use the envelopes, so they sat me in a room with boxes and boxes full of these letters and had me remove the survey from the envelope and then shred the surveys at the end of the day. I did this for about a month. Finally one day the office was welcoming their actual new permanent manager and she wanted to know what the hell I was doing. Apparently only the first manager knew I was there to learn drafting related things and was just a highschool student, everyone else thought I was just some lovely temp or new hire or something. She apologized a bunch and said I probably didn't learn anything about drafting, but I learned the most important rule in any workplace: poo poo rolls down hill. Oh also all the envelopes had the person's name on them and that was later deemed a privacy issue so all my work was shredded anyways.

That's my amazing story about CAPP work experience placement and government work!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

And here's an upper-middle-class house in the burbs of Halifax. Located in a sprawly, bullshit neighbourhood. I picked one with an open garage and a ridiculous SUV on purpose:

Engineer here: this is made better by the shoddy workmanship in that second McMansion (some construction companies seem to have taken to putting on decks with loving nails so they can't handle any axial ("pulling out") load whatsoever - a violation of the building code and a disaster waiting to happen) compared to that upper class South End Halifax house that's probably been there forever. Skilled tradesmen don't stay in Nova Scotia. Who do you think is building the decks out here?

If you live in a relatively old building and they've closed the wooden decks for repairs recently, this is probably why. The old building code allowed for nails and assumed 2 people on the deck. The new building code calls for proper fasteners but some slumlords revenue property owners have decided to not follow the new standards. Be very loving careful about how many people you take out on your deck.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1239987-halifax-deck-collapse-ns-home-builders-director-sees-flimsy-construction

edit: formatting

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 24, 2015

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Isentropy posted:

Engineer here: this is made better by the shoddy workmanship in that second McMansion (some construction companies seem to have taken to putting on decks with loving nails so they can't handle any axial ("pulling out") load whatsoever - a violation of the building code and a disaster waiting to happen) compared to that upper class South End Halifax house that's probably been there forever. Skilled tradesmen don't stay in Nova Scotia. Who do you think is building the decks out here?

If you live in a relatively old building and they've closed the wooden decks for repairs recently, this is probably why. The old building code allowed for nails and assumed 2 people on the deck. The new building code calls for proper fasteners but some slumlords revenue property owners have decided to not follow the new standards. Be very loving careful about how many people you take out on your deck.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1239987-halifax-deck-collapse-ns-home-builders-director-sees-flimsy-construction

edit: formatting

You can tell the deck is shoddy from that picture?

Also, I remember that incident. Lucky no one was killed. Few serious injuries though - broken femur was one, I believe.

And yes, using nails is loving ridiculous. Lag bolts or go home.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lexicon posted:

I'm pretty good at the monies, and I don't quite comprehend what's even meant by this term. I trust it's something one did prior to banks having web apps?

Pretty much. Since cheques are processed at different times, depending on the date on the cheque and the speed of bank processing, in a nutshell you had to "balance" the chequebook to make sure there was going to be enough money coming in to cover the money that will be going out.

Although the execution is a bit antiquated, the concept is still relevant and should be taught to the dumber kids in school. I mean, in later grades they already basically separate out the stupid kids and put them into Math/Science/Languages For Retards classes, why not give them a class on how not to be a useless drain on society and their future family. Teach them finance skills, proper nutrition, how not to be a jobless neanderthal, etc etc. Some might say that's what school already is, but there's a definitely a group in every graduating class that could use an intensive, focused class on "You're Going To Graduate Soon, This Is How You DON'T End Up A Corpse In A Ditch".

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

All of these posts make me really glad that I was exempted from CAPP (for what reason, I can't remember, but it probably had to do something with the IB program).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's the Canadian equivalent of groverhaus?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Anything built in Vancouver since 1985.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/14u4km/vancouvers_most_haunted_house_do_you_have_any/

Because chinese people are loving idiots, they believe in ghosts. The house in this particular link is now inhabited by buddhist monks who have some sort of ghost immunity shield casted +10

Also, there's this:
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fear-of-ghosts-spawns-protest-against-ubc-hospice-1.595907

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Load-bearing ghosts

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Ghosts so scare, do you know it~~~~

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't recall ever learning personal finance stuff in Alberta in the 90s - Home Economics was literally just different ways to cook and sew. My parents taught me the 'don't spend more than you make thing' which kept my net worth above zero for the first few years of my job (if only just barely, I leased a car and everything :downs:), but it wasn't until just a couple years ago I actually started saving and investing for the future. I'm the only one working in a family of three but we have enough left over to max out our TFSAs. It's currently our only investment vehicle, but as long as the market does it's thing we should have enough gently caress you money to retire by 50.

YeOldeButchere posted:

loving big government regulations preventing our kids from acquiring valuable experience in growth fields like mining, digging holes and burger and house flipping!

Not only that, but they're years behind international children in basic military skills . :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brannock posted:

Load-bearing ghosts

I just had to spend 5 min explaining groverhaus, "Vancouver specials", chinese superstitions, and "load bearing X" to my wife who was alarmed at me laughing so hard.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I just had to spend 5 min explaining groverhaus, "Vancouver specials", chinese superstitions, and "load bearing X" to my wife who was alarmed at me laughing so hard.

What the gently caress is groverhaus?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

No Gravitas posted:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brannock posted:

Load-bearing ghosts

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

long story short, The mod for the military circle jerk forum is a defense contractor and he tried to do a addition to his house without any good home improvement skills.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

long story short, The mod for the military circle jerk forum is a defense contractor and he tried to do a addition to his house without any good home improvement skills.

And, much like vancouver construction, he corrupted the inspection process to pass. In Vancouver's case they're too scared of a lawsuit to ever fail anyone, in his case he some how became an inspector just to inspect his own lovely house.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

etalian posted:

where can I read the long story?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/14u4km/vancouvers_most_haunted_house_do_you_have_any/

Because chinese people are loving idiots, they believe in ghosts. The house in this particular link is now inhabited by buddhist monks who have some sort of ghost immunity shield casted +10

hahaha that's my wife's old neighbourhood I used to run by the place I had no idea I was in ~mortal peril~

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

That is one of the famously haunted houses in Vancouver. It definitely isn't just a Chinese superstition as I've heard stories about it since I moved here 20 years ago.

There's another one over on Fraser near 12th.

Perhaps the solution to Vancouver's real estate problem can be found in Scooby Doo episodes.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

where can I read the long story?

Yeah, this sounds fascinating.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

No Gravitas posted:

Yeah, this sounds fascinating.

http://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI

I got told off on vancouver reddit that I was full a poo poo about a real estate bubble in Vancouver and that nothing is going to happen in Canada like the US because banks require a minimum 5% downpayment.

(I'm looking out my window in False Creek right now at a condo that has a big sign stating 0% down while I type this).

:allears:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Would you be surprised if I told you Grover is also a big fan of the F-35?

Maybe those planes are using his patented stair insulation technique, now safe to operate in the Canadian cold.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pimpmust posted:

Would you be surprised if I told you Grover is also a big fan of the F-35?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Big K of Justice posted:

I got told off on vancouver reddit that I was full a poo poo about a real estate bubble in Vancouver and that nothing is going to happen in Canada like the US because banks require a minimum 5% downpayment.

Remember, it's not a bubble and today's prices are perfectly justified because that sort of thing happened to the Americans, and we aren't Americans, so it won't happen here. :v:

I wish this were not the extent of most people's analytical ability.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I recently paid closer attention to the elevator buttons in my friend's condo. The numbers 4, 13,14, and 24 are missing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kraftwerk posted:

I recently paid closer attention to the elevator buttons in my friend's condo. The numbers 4, 13,14, and 24 are missing.

Yeah it's awesome for developers because they get to pander to stupid superstitions plus it makes their building sound taller, higher floor numbers generally sell for more. I believe there's also been cases where developers demanded the civic address for a lot be changed saying the 4's in the address would unfairly harm their sales. Also if you don't give in to those demands you're culturally insensitive.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's awesome for developers because they get to pander to stupid superstitions plus it makes their building sound taller, higher floor numbers generally sell for more. I believe there's also been cases where developers demanded the civic address for a lot be changed saying the 4's in the address would unfairly harm their sales. Also if you don't give in to those demands you're culturally insensitive.

I can't believe we collectively permit this poo poo.

It's math.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lexicon posted:

I can't believe we collectively permit this poo poo.

It's math.

Even if you don't believe in that sort of nonsense, though, would you buy a condo or house with 13 or 4 in the address, knowing that idiots who might buy it from you later might believe in that nonsense?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

Even if you don't believe in that sort of nonsense, though, would you buy a condo or house with 13 or 4 in the address, knowing that idiots who might buy it from you later might believe in that nonsense?

I'd hate myself if I forewent a place that I otherwise loved based on a reason like that, even if there is a financial dimension as you say.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

It boils down to this obsessive paranoid cargo cult about "PROPERTY VALUES". It's the same poo poo that pushes insane HOA laws in the US, this fear that if someone has the wrong colour blinds on their block it will some how anger the property value gods and they will curse the area. The primary focus becomes entirely about property values rather than being a place for humans to live.

I'd be fine buying #13 on 4th street next to a cemetery if the house and area were nice, I'm buying a house because I want to live in it, resale value is just a bonus. And if the numbers are so cursed maybe I got a deal on it, so it's all a wash.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I wouldn't give a gently caress because I view housing as a sunk cost rather than an investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lexicon posted:

I'd hate myself if I forewent a place that I otherwise loved based on a reason like that, even if there is a financial dimension as you say.

So, if you had a choice between two nearly identical houses/condos/etc. at the same price, one with an "unlucky" number in the address, the other without, you'd give it no consideration? Even though I don't believe in unlucky numbers, I would still use an unlucky number as "leverage" to get a lower price, both because it may be harder to sell, and because why the gently caress not?

I mean, yes, it's retarded that buildings are skipping floors. but I can certainly see why they do it.