Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Countries will switch to a more 'european' work ethic. In the United States we've wrung every little bit of productivity out of workers by calling $25k year jobs 'managers' and not paying overtime and tethering people to work with cell phones or email. A few changes here and there and suddenly you've got demand for more workers.

In the long term, automation would probably make us switch back to one income households with lots more leisure time. That or dystopian New Detroit with RoboCop doing things humans used to do.

This requires a big culture change where all companies are more willing to pay more for less productivity.

I agree with you in general economic sense, but both the frozen politics and the Wall Street drive to always make more profit are big obstacles in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Companies will never be willing to; that's the entire point of the labor movement. The amount of leisure time we'll have in the future because of technological progress depends wholly on our ability to fight for every goddamn minute of it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Krispy Kareem posted:

In the long term, automation would probably make us switch back to one income households with lots more leisure time. That or dystopian New Detroit with RoboCop doing things humans used to do.

I want to live in your world.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Krispy Kareem posted:

Countries will switch to a more 'european' work ethic. In the United States we've wrung every little bit of productivity out of workers by calling $25k year jobs 'managers' and not paying overtime and tethering people to work with cell phones or email. A few changes here and there and suddenly you've got demand for more workers.

And then some rear end in a top hat immediately comes out of the woodwork and starts screaming about how unions are ruining the world. #america

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Tigntink posted:

And then some rear end in a top hat immediately comes out of the woodwork and starts screaming about how unions are ruining the world. #america

The european work day isn't due to unions. They are due to labor laws.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lostleaf posted:

edit tortured metaphor. Anyway, political pressure on politicians caused them to pass those laws. Who supplied the political pressure?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my first visit ever at r/personalfinance went exactly as planned

quote:

Longtime lurker here and decided to post for the first time (with my new account) after the event that recently happened in my life. So I live in Germany (Munich) and go to university (mechanical engineering) here. I live in a community flat with my own rented room but renting costs are pretty high here and can go up to 700€ for A SINGLE ROOM! My parents divorced long time ago and my father moved to the US and found a new wife while I stayed here in Germany with my mother and a new step-father. Five years ago while I was still in highschool my american father gave my mother 70k$ which he owed my mother but she in return refused the money and gave it to me. the 70k$ were all in stocks so I tried to learn as much about stocks, markets etc. at that age and managed to turn the 70k$ into 90k€ today. But three years ago when I just started university my father suddenly deceased (lung cancer) and his wife which I have acknowledged as my step-mother who seems to be very wealthy (I've only known her for 2 years) regularly wires me money since the 90k€ are all in stocks. I recently have met her for the first time and she told me that there is an inheritance of 150k$ waiting for me in the US while I am also the new owner of a flat in China of about 130k$ value. (Me and my family are all Chinese but everyone immigrated to US/Germany a long time ago). Then my step-father recently urged me to buy a flat here in Munich to avoid the renting costs and sell it again when I don't need it anymore. But he insists that I buy the flat with HIS money since the stock markets in China just crashed and he needs a new place to invest his money.

I have now found a new flat worth 235k€ here in Munich and I will probably sign the contract tomorrow. The payment will most likely come from my step-father and a little of my "own" money since he cannot legally transfer that much money from China in one time. But that still leaves me with the money from the US which I don't know where to put it. I am scared of putting everything into stocks. Well in past I did make money from stocks but I know everything can go south, too and once it does it can hurt badly (especially with this much money).

tl;dr: Soon I will be the owner of a 235k€ flat in Germany, a 130k$ flat in China and +200k€ ready to be used/invested. This much money is way too much for a person in my age and I feel very uncomfortable and slightly scared. All of my realtives refuse to manage/accept the money so I have to deal with it on my own. Any ideas?

Edit: I will definitely transfer the entire US account to my german bank so that I have direct access to it.

ugh this dude is in such a better position to me it's not even funny, someone tell him about index funds right away

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There will probably be a number of countries that will hit 40-50% unemployed but not just because of the technological changes. The baby boomer population and generation X will be hitting retirement age at the same time a lot of jobs are disappearing. Most will be in a bad way financially and will need to work. They won't appear in unemployment statistics as they will be officially retirees. Countries depending heavily on manufacturing will have a bad time, but a lot of call centre jobs will also disappear.

Youth unemployment is kind of bad at the moment. In the worst off countries in the EU they're up to 40-60%.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business...scarier/276423/

The article refers to those who are just unemployed and not trying to do anything about it. 26 million in the OECD. It's a bad time to have no skills, experience or ability to think for yourself.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Wait, I hadn't blocked High Lord Elbow yet? How the hell did that happen?

Remember this commercial for Cadillac?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

Yeah, nobody in Europe has ever owned a luxury car because IT'S NOT LIKE THAT'S EXACTLY WHERE THEY COME FROM OR ANYTHING.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lostleaf posted:

Unions are just localized labor laws though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I hate this so, so much.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

lostleaf posted:

:allears: You're adorable.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aliquid posted:

my first visit ever at r/personalfinance went exactly as planned

ugh this dude is in such a better position to me it's not even funny, someone tell him about index funds right away

Hundreds of thousands of dollars that multiple relatives want nothing to do with. I wonder what kind of strings are attached to all that.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Aliquid posted:

Companies will never be willing to; that's the entire point of the labor movement. The amount of leisure time we'll have in the future because of technological progress depends wholly on our ability to fight for every goddamn minute of it.

I agree. I believe the future will involve 100% outsourcing to the Second/Third world, the First World citizen who is employed will be doing the work usually done by five employees in the past, and CEO payouts will reach the billions.

It will eventually revert back to a quasi-feudal system, with the companies of today becoming the equivalent of noble houses in Europe/China.

BWM:

My former co-worker has been demanding extra shifts and a raise at work. His sense of industry is commendable, until you realize his motives behind it.

He has quite the methamphetamine habit, and freely admits that he is tweaking at work. (I believe him, due to his explosive outbursts at the slightest provocation.)

He also trashed his Commodore, but that's nothing unusual with Commodore owners. His mother drives him about 20 KM to work every morning.

The funds raised to repair it? Spent on meth, or earmarked by his dealers in the form of drug debt.

This is a Commodore in it's usual state of being, for foreign readers.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Well, poo poo did get pretty bad for the Luddites so it's not like they were wrong: all their artisanal weaving jobs disappeared because of automation. I think the major question for humanity going forward is of how to make sure everyone gets a share of the benefits of technological advancement while still leaving some incentive for innovation. Things will get really torch-and-pitchfork-y and/or absurdly dystopic in a hurry if wealth inequality continues at pace.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Sic Semper Goon posted:

He has quite the methamphetamine habit, and freely admits that he is tweaking at work. (I believe him, due to his explosive outbursts at the slightest provocation.)

He also trashed his Commodore, but that's nothing unusual with Commodore owners. His mother drives him about 20 KM to work every morning.

I'm pretty sure it's compulsory for Commodore owners to do meth.

It's the logical progression for those 14 year olds I saw at my train station this morning, starting the day with V, durries, and some casual racial abuse.

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

Hocus Pocus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's compulsory for Commodore owners to do meth.

It's the logical progression for those 14 year olds I saw at my train station this morning, starting the day with V, durries, and some casual racial abuse.

Fuckn aye bruz, they prefer mothers and listening to the mad choons blaring from the moshi speaker they gank'd from woolies up in QLD.

When I did nightfill, heaps of my teamates would be getting hosed up on endones. 2 of them took MDMA caps including my manager. My manager was telling all the staff how much he fucken' loved them and valued them. He was sweating like crazy and had pupils the size of dinner plates too lol.

Anyway as for today, My manager (different job, I don't do nightfill anymore) was very jubilant. Told me she is $5k richer... She got $3k tax back + her $2K overdraft is no longer in overdraft, I think she also got a Centrelink windfall that sorted that out when it went in her bank... She literally thinks that the $2K overdraft is just like normal money and uses every cent of it. She doesn't care that it has 22% interest on it or just doesn't listen to me. If I had the amount of consumer debt she had I'd probably neck myself. All her credit cards are maxed. Probably $40K+. I don't even know where to start with the stories I have of her...She had to get her car keys replaced because they got stolen with her handbag and her phone. She got suckered into a new phone plan, bought a $50 case for the new phone and also bought a pen keyring that costs $15. I asked her why she couldn't just keep one of the work pens in her handbag... I think that was a stupid suggestion on my behalf. After all, she's the boss.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah, nobody in Europe has ever owned a luxury car because IT'S NOT LIKE THAT'S EXACTLY WHERE THEY COME FROM OR ANYTHING.

Oh I remember that ad. It could have been cool if it had a bit of "tongue in cheek" to it. But it's trying to be sincere, which is pretty cringeworthy. That and the buttoning of both buttons on the suit jacket...

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Much as I hate to post a commercial for a new car in the BWM thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAN61QK0aUI

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait...that's the same commercial except for the White guy from BoB driving a Cadillac and a Black lady with natural hair driving a...Ford?

Why are Ford and GM making the same commercials?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I believe the word you're looking for is "parody." It's actually pretty well done.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Cadillac ad owns. :patriot:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

n8r posted:

Cadillac ad owns. :patriot:

:911:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tjadeth posted:

Much as I hate to post a commercial for a new car in the BWM thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAN61QK0aUI

Despite being exactly the same ad from both companies it's well crafted. I liked the spin angle of crazy and then comparison to inventors. Even though that is not representative of the population buying the cars. It reminds of BWM people saying they deserve a holiday/car/consumer goods to justify it to themselves.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh I remember that ad. It could have been cool if it had a bit of "tongue in cheek" to it. But it's trying to be sincere, which is pretty cringeworthy. That and the buttoning of both buttons on the suit jacket...

They went and got the spoiled, money-inheriting, small town abusing, drug dealer pimp from the lazy Walking Tall remake to extol the virtues of America. Perfect.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Devian666 posted:

It reminds of BWM people saying they deserve a holiday/car/consumer goods to justify it to themselves.

Now why would a car commercial possibly want to do that?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

My honeymoon was BWM. Went to Hawaii for a week with reasonably priced tickets, a great deal for accommodations, rented a Mustang because it was less than a hundred bucks extra over a compact car, and then spent well over a thousand bucks on food, with multiple >$200 CAD suppers. We're still overall positive income for the month, but :stonklol: is a pretty good visual of when we looked at Mint and saw how much everything was after the exchange rate conversion.

While there's a couple meals I don't think worked out to be worth it, overall it was loving delicious and amazing and the two of the most expensive meals were some of the best food I've eaten.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solenna posted:

My honeymoon was BWM. Went to Hawaii for a week with reasonably priced tickets, a great deal for accommodations, rented a Mustang because it was less than a hundred bucks extra over a compact car, and then spent well over a thousand bucks on food, with multiple >$200 CAD suppers. We're still overall positive income for the month, but :stonklol: is a pretty good visual of when we looked at Mint and saw how much everything was after the exchange rate conversion.

While there's a couple meals I don't think worked out to be worth it, overall it was loving delicious and amazing and the two of the most expensive meals were some of the best food I've eaten.

Sounds good with money to me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Solenna posted:

Same here. Except Key West instead of Hawaii. I passed on the Mustang, though. Not because of price, but because I didn't want to rent a pony car and then sit in stop-and-go traffic all the way down the Keys. I can do that just as well in a crappy Sonata.

I hate to say it, but we did kinda YOLO our honeymoon. My very generous in-laws and parents gifted us the travel, lodging, and a fishing trip, but a week of eating out and excursions in Key West and Miami was expensive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
We recently sort of YOLO'd a trip to Europe to the tune of what I assume is several thousand dollars (the plane tickets were like $3800 alone). Partially we did it because it felt like we always put off any kind of large trip, and also because I'm considering trying to transfer to an overseas office at some point (visited a couple of them during our trip). It was a good trip but uggghhhh I don't like to think about how much it cost. Good motivation to try churning again though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Solenna posted:

Ban humblebraggers in this thread so that they can spend $10 re-regging to be bad with money and make their posts accurate

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Devor posted:

Ban humblebraggers in this thread so that they can spend $10 re-regging to be bad with money and make their posts accurate

This.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Devor posted:

Pretty pretty please.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Devor posted:

If we're going down this route, can we also ban all the people who see any mention of the word wedding to post about how they saved so much money and did their wedding so cheaply?

Also, humblebrag > D&D labor policy discussion.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

I'd buy a Caddy of Buck Compton told me to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, but "gargling shards of glass" > D&D labor policy discussion.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

hah I mentioned all the stuff that wasn't directly food spending so I wouldn't sound like a complete moron. figures.

and I'm strongly considering spending $20 for a fancy mat to paint my nails on.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Solenna posted:

hah I mentioned all the stuff that wasn't directly food spending so I wouldn't sound like a complete moron. figures.

and I'm strongly considering spending $20 for a fancy mat to paint my nails on.

Shut upppppppppp

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm strongly considering moving from a 1bd to 2bd for just over double the rent but the 2bd would have a direct view of the lake and be about 50 feet from the sand beach. Bwm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Dik Hz posted:

If we're going down this route, can we also ban all the people who see any mention of the word wedding to post about how they saved so much money and did their wedding so cheaply?

Can we just amend it so people can't talk about themselves? Half the time the BWM stories are "I USED to be BWM but now I'm super good with my money!! :)" which is a humblebrag, or it's "plz help I suck at money!!" in which case they should make their own thread instead of derailing my schadenfreude.

• Locked thread