Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Dragonrider is just beyond pathetic though. Even for an early game boss he's ridiculously sluggish and doesn't even hit that hard.

There's a good chance players will fight him or Ornstein as their first boss. I feel like they're easy because they didn't wanna smack players down for exploring alternate areas, or joining the blue sentinels to defend other new players from those big internet bullies.

But lost sinner has no business being a really slow Gwyn. Opening cutscene is supposed to creep you the gently caress out and she ends up fighting like a basic hollow with a leap attack that makes the Gargoyles look like greased lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just learned that you can hold a heal cast, keep the button pressed down and your character will remain kneeling charging up the cast as long as you like. Doesn't make it more powerful or anything but gives your allies time to get close to you.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's a good chance players will fight him or Ornstein as their first boss. I feel like they're easy because they didn't wanna smack players down for exploring alternate areas, or joining the blue sentinels to defend other new players from those big internet bullies.

I believe I read somewhere that the developers intended that area to be an option early on for advanced players. Those big hulking giants at the start discouraged me from going in, even though I played DS1 a good amount. Then later I come back and actually fight them and ... yeah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dragonrider is technically the first non optional boss, you could totally skip the Forest of Fallen Giants completely and beeline to the Dragonrider and No-Man's Wharf. It's quicker, too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^Last Giant is not optional, you cannot get to Place Unbeknownst without his key.

Bobnumerotres posted:

But lost sinner has no business being a really slow Gwyn. Opening cutscene is supposed to creep you the gently caress out and she ends up fighting like a basic hollow with a leap attack that makes the Gargoyles look like greased lightning.

Yeah, it's Pinwheel syndrome basically (and to a lesser extent Moon Butterfly). If it can be your first boss, it's probably not going to be hard, and so if it wasn't your first boss, you'll probably breeze past it. Dragonrider and Last Giant (and to a lesser extent Pursuer) are designed to be beatable by somebody who has a pretty imperfect grasp on when to block, when to dodge, when to attack.

I liked Lost Sinner pre-nerf honestly, she wasn't much harder than she is now but it made her last longer. I like the fight as a concept but I feel that she definitely suffers from lack of follow-up on her attacks. She hits hard enough to guard-break, but there's enough downtime between her attacks that the player can easily escape before she swings again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dragonrider kicks my rear end. :(

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
So, I'm at the last boss and apparently cause I went to the wrong place beforehand, I have to do two bossfights in a row. Will the first stay dead after I beat them or am I now doomed to do both each time?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

they'll stay dead

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

skasion posted:

^^Last Giant is not optional, you cannot get to Place Unbeknownst without his key.

You don't have to have that key until the end of the game, though. You can get to Dragonrider in half a minute from the Heide bonfire.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ordinarily I wouldn't even ask this question except this is Dark Souls, so. Any explanation for the red iris-y border effect on boss entry cutscenes?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Decided to try a whip only run. Got an old whip from my petrified something.

After running past everything in Heide's, and loving up dragonrider falling off his platform, I managed to kill him right before the old whip broke. From there, grabbed the notched whip from Huntsman's Copse. Proceeded to go to Earthen Peak to unlock Laddersmith Gilligan to get some plain old whips. Eventually I plan to get the spotted whip.

Ugh whips suck. Like, you have a larger range on attacks than melee, but they are so goddamn slow and don't do a lot of damage. Old Whip actually does really good damage but is made of wet paper and has maybe a dozen hits in it before breaking. And whips don't have a cool backstab, you just punch the guy. Get your poo poo together From.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a way to skip the end credits that I am not aware of? Tried every button on the controller and keyboard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Powerstancing whips helps make up for their lackluster damage. I'd also suggest getting the Bloodied Whip (drop from the whips dudes on the path to the Undead Purgatory); it's the strongest whip after the Old Whip.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

Ordinarily I wouldn't even ask this question except this is Dark Souls, so. Any explanation for the red iris-y border effect on boss entry cutscenes?

It looks cool and signfies when poo poo Gets Real. And is turned around cleverly in the final boss fight.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, just echoing that iron keep bridge PvP is where it's at right now for duels, at least until they unfuck the other forms of PvP (if they ever do). Any SL range goes, it's littered with red signs and dragon signs and yours will always get summoned within seconds.

Dragon covenant forces a fair 1v1 where both players can heal, only possible edge a host may have is buffing and attacking immediately. Dicks like that are surprisingly few and far between, though. Also it just rules and you get cool dragon stuff.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

skasion posted:

Yes you can, you leap from the left hand side lift (send the right one down) and you can land on the ledge behind the locked door.

It's how you get the regen ring without having to kill him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

keyframe posted:

Is there a way to skip the end credits that I am not aware of? Tried every button on the controller and keyboard.

Start button did it for me, though I only tried on ng+.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Oh god why do people always want to kill all of the skeleton lords at once?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DSauer posted:

Because that's the fun way to fight them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

DSauer posted:

I like to do this then black stone out when "helping" people.

Also using the ballista in the persuer fight on the host.

PVP NEVER STOPS NO REST NO REMOURCE I BET YOU WERE AFTER THE BELLS!!!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

DSauer posted:

Enter the arena and there are three dudes. Once those three dudes are dead, fight is over. It's not that hard buddy. Yolo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not like it's hard to deal with the aftermath in the first run, none of the enemies that spawn have much health. You can spawn camp the hell out of those rear end in a top hat bonewheels, I ended that fight in under a minute. Once you hit ng+ and above it gets a little scarier.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Thanks for the laugh.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, just echoing that iron keep bridge PvP is where it's at right now for duels, at least until they unfuck the other forms of PvP (if they ever do). Any SL range goes, it's littered with red signs and dragon signs and yours will always get summoned within seconds.

Dragon covenant forces a fair 1v1 where both players can heal, only possible edge a host may have is buffing and attacking immediately. Dicks like that are surprisingly few and far between, though. Also it just rules and you get cool dragon stuff.

Yeah, it's actually quite fun. I'm reluctant to go into NG+ just because I'd lose the ability to duel on the bridge.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Powerstancing whips helps make up for their lackluster damage. I'd also suggest getting the Bloodied Whip (drop from the whips dudes on the path to the Undead Purgatory); it's the strongest whip after the Old Whip.

If you do powerstance whips, try not to use the L1 because for whatever reason your left hand whip always does like 1/4 the damage your right hand one does, but the L2 does full damage with both.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

If you do powerstance whips, try not to use the L1 because for whatever reason your left hand whip always does like 1/4 the damage your right hand one does, but the L2 does full damage with both.

The L1 powerstance attack takes forever, too. The L2 attack isn't that bad though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGvqs0Qz9w

Usually the comments section for dks videos are relatively tame. Not when there's a GAME BREAKING GLITCH!!!!

quote:

Anyone in denial that this is a repulsive glitch really needs to get off of Dark Souls 2. This is game breaking. That dude you fought is a total scrub, this move allows for even the worst of players to be given "artificial skill".

quote:

What's do you expect on this lovely game, all I fight are faggets in havels armor with santiers spear mundane avyns magic barrier faggets, bat dildo staffs this insta poison me with so skilled poison mist , then I face mlg pro resonant washing pole 3 hitting me with the poke of OJ MUDBONES dick finally now the so skilled mlg insta parry scimtar people think there so skilled and good gently caress this game pvp is poo poo period o and fuckin lagstabs ftw ;?

Love the honor duel crowd~

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Don't forget spamming life drain patch on the host :getin:.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
Holy. loving. poo poo.

New lighting mod in the folder, ladies and gentlemen.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
:shrug: What?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dragonrider kicks my rear end. :(

Nevermind.

What's a good build for a sorcerer? So far I've pushed for that fire longsword, and I'm wondering where to go from here. If I go magic/miracles will that stretch me out too much?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nevermind.

What's a good build for a sorcerer? So far I've pushed for that fire longsword, and I'm wondering where to go from here. If I go magic/miracles will that stretch me out too much?

If you decide to go magic/miracles you should go the hexer route as it gives you access to an amazing array of good spells. For a pure sorcerer its going to suck in the beginning until you get some of the good spells and the rings from a couple NG+ bosses. You can ascetic the bosses for the rings thankfully.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Is Bleed worth a drat in this game? I wanna get a good upgrade for my claws but I'm not sure what exactly would be most effective.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So who wants to re-fight the best boss?

Been having tons of fun with this build. Have some of the (not broken) hexes to spice things up. Use a GRS if someone tries to take a sippy in an ~honor duel~, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AlternatePFG posted:

Is Bleed worth a drat in this game? I wanna get a good upgrade for my claws but I'm not sure what exactly would be most effective.

No. Player bleed does a flat 200 damage on proc, it's pretty garbage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bleed is mostly for PVP since it lowers their max stamina.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azuth0667 posted:

If you decide to go magic/miracles you should go the hexer route as it gives you access to an amazing array of good spells. For a pure sorcerer its going to suck in the beginning until you get some of the good spells and the rings from a couple NG+ bosses. You can ascetic the bosses for the rings thankfully.

How do I go about that?

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Respecced to a Mundane build, dagger in the main hand, Monastery Scimitar in the off, and went bellcopping. Casters still destroy me, but those sweet, sweet 2000 damage ripostes are so nice to the part of me that needs giant numbers. :allears:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Man, the belltower is full of the weirdest cheesiest things. I've had several people alt+F4 out when they were in a losing position, almost all of them with a friend do nothing except hide while they let the white phantom die terribly kill everything, and I've had two people using laggy connections to try fishing for backstabs, except these two people were terrible regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do I go about that?

Do you mean the hex bit or the ascetic bit? Hexes just scale off whichever is lower, intelligence or faith so having a build that balances the two leads to stronger hexes than a build that focuses on one or the other. As for ascetics, you just use a bonfire ascetic in the relevant bonfire and it will set the area connected to it to bonfire intensity 2. Essentially that area will be in ng+. This carries over to true ng+ though, so if you ascetic an area it'll be in ng++ once you start your second run.

edit: Keep in mind, it's not true ng+ and not everything that comes with being in your second/third run will happen just by burning an ascetic.