Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

It's a common belief among leftists that identity politics like gay rights or marijuana legalization or whatever take energy away from more meaningful reform movements, primarily FULL COMMUNISM NOW.

A lot of your most famous communists from the early 20th century were vehemently opposed to the suffrage movement, including lots of feminists like Helen Keller. I can't remember if it was her or someone else that asked "what has voting rights done for the negro?"

I kind of agree.

That's not to say the civil rights era wasn't worth fighting tooth and nail for, but I'll be a little upset if I look back on my twenties and say the biggest political accomplishment was letting white people smoke weed with a little less hassle.

I wasn't aware identity politics was now being used to refer to weed laws, usually when I hear it it's used to dismiss things that address issues that specifically aren't about straight white guys or even just acknowledge that gender, race, sexualities, etc. exist and matter.

computer parts posted:

A lot of those same communists were also opposed to gays because they felt it was bougie decadence so that doesn't mean they were right.

Now some of them are just saying that gay rights efforts are bougie decadence so you see, progress :v:

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sharkie posted:

I wasn't aware identity politics was now being used to refer to weed laws, usually when I hear it it's used to dismiss things that address issues that specifically aren't about straight white guys or even just acknowledge that gender, race, sexualities, etc. exist and matter.

Yeah that doesn't read very well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sharkie posted:

"Economic issues" are typically code for those that primarily effect white people. Plenty of social issues relate to minorities (e.g., the disparity of pay for women, the disparity of hiring for minorities) but are usually absent when talking about economic issues.

And then you have issues that economics can't overcome, like how a black man making six figures was still harassed by the police because his neighbors reported a "shifty" individual in the neighborhood.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

"Economic issues" are typically code for those that primarily effect white people. Plenty of social issues relate to minorities (e.g., the disparity of pay for women, the disparity of hiring for minorities) but are usually absent when talking about economic issues.

And then you have issues that economics can't overcome, like how a black man making six figures was still harassed by the police because his neighbors reported a "shifty" individual in the neighborhood.

You might say I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative :smug:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Otherwise known as a College Republican.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

my bony fealty posted:

You might say I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative :smug:

Can someone explain to me what in youth compels this kinda thought?

I remember unironically stating this when I was 18.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

your dad is a republican but you get to college and one of your friends is gay and the other is black, therefore

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

College tends to expose individuals to more gay people, minorities, and drugs, but not many working class poor people.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Gravel Gravy posted:

You have a gay friend and don't buy into flagrant racism, but you're also mature and wise beyond your years and as such recognize the pitfalls of profligate spending. Basically, "gently caress you, Dad, Ronnie's my friend and he's cool! But anyway, can I take the car out tonight? You know I'll be responsible, I'm fiscally conservative after all!"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Otherwise known as a College Republican.

Or a Cuomo Democrat!

Gravel Gravy posted:

My gues: "Fiscal responsibility" in the form of slashing taxes and spending has been presented as the mature, intellectual position to hold since the breakdown of the New Deal Coalition and the Reagan era. Witness Obama bragging about reducing the deficit and cutting spending. Libertarian-populism appeals greatly to the generation currently entering the workforce, as they want to be able to smoke weed and have their gay friends get married but get mad about their increasingly meager salaries being further reduced by taxes.

It's a lot easier to point at the dollars coming out of your paycheck and blame the government than it is to develop a nuanced understanding of how increasing income inequality spurred on by the tax cutters is the real reason you make half as much as your dad with twice the education.

I should say that I am part of this generation and also get pissed about my relatively low salary, but then again I work for the state government :negative:

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 26, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

College tends to expose individuals to more gay people, minorities, and drugs, but not many working class poor people.
Also at 18 you're still naive enough to think that social programs/benefits aren't always the first things on the chopping block when government starts making budget cuts

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Gravel Gravy posted:

It sounds grown up. The extremes are bad, the centre is good.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

computer parts posted:

"Economic issues" are typically code for those that primarily effect white people.

No it isn't typically that at all. Social and economic justice are two parts of the same whole. The fact that African-Americans are disproportionately likely to be poor is a symptom of racism, but it also reduces their ability to participate fully in society (e.g. with respect to the ability to engage in political activism).

To the point of the democratic primary, historically free trade agreements have contributed to reduced economic opportunity, especially to those already disadvantaged. Hillary is a big proponent of those agreements. She fought hard and continues to fight for them. So on the social side Hillary might be "okay" or even "good," she works hard to counter whatever effects her efforts there have by loving up economically.

Economic issues affect everybody, and most especially those who are already disadvantaged socially or economically. Hillary isn't a friend of that latter group. A vote for her is a vote for nice sounding words and dangerously negative actions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Feather posted:

No it isn't typically that at all. Social and economic justice are two parts of the same whole. The fact that African-Americans are disproportionately likely to be poor is a symptom of racism, but it also reduces their ability to participate fully in society (e.g. with respect to the ability to engage in political activism).

And I gave an example later on in that post of an African American who wasn't economically disadvantaged but was still socially disadvantaged.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cugel the Clever posted:

loving duh, dude. That doesn't change the fact that Bernie would be better than the party elite's designated heir in virtually every policy area.

Actually he wouldn't. It's pretty simple, people who are impossible to elect aren't better at anything.

Neeksy posted:

I'd replace it with "should", in this case. Considering that report that came out about the US barely being a democracy, with voter opinion having no correlation to policy results, popularity of a candidate and their proposals is a symbolic gesture.

This is bullshit. Claims that policy doesn't match voter opinion tend to ignore that the public at large has a whole bunch of dumb ideas in conjunction with good ideas, so you have people who care more about bashing gays and owning 20 guns than they care about having health care.

You can't just look at say "60% of Americans want free health care" and ignore that a huge chunk of that also refuse to vote for anyone who might possibly take away guns in their fever dreams of persecution.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is bullshit. Claims that policy doesn't match voter opinion tend to ignore that the public at large has a whole bunch of dumb ideas in conjunction with good ideas, so you have people who care more about bashing gays and owning 20 guns than they care about having health care.

Well obviously Bad Ideas should be ignored but Good Ideas have to be adhered to.

e: I legitimately wish someone would run a poll with the phrasing "if there was no change in taxes or spending for any other programs, would you support ________" just to see the absolute best case scenario for support.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FizFashizzle posted:

A lot of your most famous communists from the early 20th century were vehemently opposed to the suffrage movement, including lots of feminists like Helen Keller. I can't remember if it was her or someone else that asked "what has voting rights done for the negro?"

... that's a very strange statement, given that Ms. Keller is a famous advocate for suffrage.
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/keller-helen/works/1910s/13_10_17.htm

Marijuana counted as identity politics given that it was banned because it was identified with mexicans.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's simple. Republicans are squares and Libertarians are assholes, but Democrats are fags.

Therefore, the only way to be a cool right winger is to say you're fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm going to say of all candidates for GOP, George Pataki will be the first to fall

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm going to say of all candidates for GOP, George Pataki will be the first to fall

Not before his official announcement this Thursday though!

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

computer parts posted:

And I gave an example later on in that post of an African American who wasn't economically disadvantaged but was still socially disadvantaged.

And that is completely irrelevant to the portion of my post you quoted.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Warcabbit posted:

... that's a very strange statement, given that Ms. Keller is a famous advocate for suffrage.
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/keller-helen/works/1910s/13_10_17.htm

Marijuana counted as identity politics given that it was banned because it was identified with mexicans.

I've realized lately that if someone is going to have some bullshit made up politically about them it's usually a woman. The example being most suffragettes basically.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

I've realized lately that if someone is going to have some bullshit made up politically about them it's usually a woman. The example being most suffragettes basically.

A woman or a person of color. Did you know MLK, Jr. would be a Republican in today's climate? :downs:

I can't wait for 20, 30 years from now when Stonewall becomes a breakthrough moment for queer people fighting for Republican values against the oppressive policies of Big Government. Then again, maybe us gays will still be too icky to fully co-opt.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Liz's boyfriend on 30 rock was socially conservative, fiscally liberal. Wrap your head around that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Liz's boyfriend on 30 rock was socially conservative, fiscally liberal. Wrap your head around that.

So's the Pope.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

That's actually kind of easy to envision, if you look at some strains of American populism which were/are heavily entrenched in racism and sexism. Not even just American populism, I would also argue it is/was a big thing in Europe too. Jobs, healthcare and support for good, God-fearing, deserving white folk, the rest shouldn't even be in my city/state/country.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kor posted:

Then again, maybe us gays will still be too icky to fully co-opt.

They should stop voting against their economic interests - only the republicans will fight to protect them from the regressive marriage tax penalty.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike Huckabee

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dixiecrats

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Looking pretty nice today in Waterfront Park.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I don't even know why Pataki is running. He's been out of office for almost a decade now, was not even very popular when he left office, and he's ancient. Why waste your time/money?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fashion guide for this afternoon's announcement.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
What time is the campaign kickoff and will there be a livestream?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

5PM EDT, yes

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I7LbQFmj9A

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
:lol:

Have we reached peak Bernie yet

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

I love Bernie, but man, sometimes it really is like a stereotypical folksy grandpa trying to run a campaign. I know this kind of stuff can be super kitschy just as a general rule, but c'mon dude.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:lol:

Someone change "Honk" to read "Post" please.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Not until Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum