Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Koalas March posted:

Now that y'all brought up Mariah, I'm sad we didn't get to see Alfre Woodard and Sigourney Weaver chew the scenery together.

I know, I know Defenders was busy enough but come on, how cool would that be?

The problem with the majority of the subpar shows and arcs is that they didn't make the most of what they had. Yep let's kill Mahershala and Weaver.

"Let's retread the Hand and Elektra, kill the best actress and exciting new villain, shoehorn Colleen's drama in, underuse Misty Knight and give her no scenes with Danny while still centering poo poo around him, the worst, least liked Defender." - Scott Buck, probably

I think this is something Daredevil season 1 and Jessica Jones nailed and everything else has flubbed to some extent: in a show like this, the villain is just as important as the hero and needs to be cast, written, and used just as well. Fisk, Kilgrave, Frank, and Cottonmouth are all great examples of how to use a villain well and how the villain is an integral part of what makes a superhero show good. When the villain is weak (Diamondback and everything to do with the Hand), the show suffers badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In what universe was Sigourney Weaver's character an exciting new villain?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The one where the show was written well

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

moths posted:

As noted before, it was supremely frustrating that they foreshadowed downing, gas, strangulation, etc and then went with SCIENCE BULLETS. They had a better idea in their heads, it made it into the script, and then they farted out some super bullet nonsense.

No, Mariah had better ideas. It's foreshadowing that she's the real threat. The others were various shades of petty morons, and she's the one standing at the end.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Also upon rewatch, I just realized Cottonmouth calls her "Black Mariah" in episode 2. I didn't remember hearing it initially. It is nice to see a show where the comic book names are actually used.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Man oh man, I hate the convention of black characters putting black in their name.

Like why does it have to be Black Panther... like Panthers are ALREADY black!

Black Vulcan, Black Panther, Black Widow, enough already!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Man oh man, I hate the convention of black characters putting black in their name.

Yeah, I feel the same way about understudy characters. Like Superman and then Superboy/girl. I much prefer when they give them something different to there's, like Batman and Robin. And then Barbara joins up and she's just Batgirl. :effort:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

To be fair, Black Widow isn't black. :v:

On the other hand, Black Manta didn't start off as black but then, well...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He's wearing a mask, how can they even tell he's black?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, Black Widow isn't black. :v:

On the other hand, Black Manta didn't start off as black but then, well...

The page where they reveal he is black he literally takes off his helmet and goes, "why do you think they call me ... BLACK Manta?!"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Lurdiak posted:

She wasn't "exciting" but there was something interesting about her. Being vaguely mysterious about her abilities and how/why she managed to be the head of Hand. Also the actress being SW probably had much to do with the interesting result (I'm guessing based on what we saw, she didn't have much to work with, though, for her character).

Offing her in that way did the show no favors other than a short lived "oh surprise!", because then you knew the show was full on heading back towards DD2 terrible part with Electra and the Hand.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Black Lightning, that will have his own series soon?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way about understudy characters. Like Superman and then Superboy/girl. I much prefer when they give them something different to there's, like Batman and Robin. And then Barbara joins up and she's just Batgirl. :effort:

And, if you don't have -boy and -girl, then you can't have the -family!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Superman_Family

And there are more.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"And up next on our tribute to those kooky 70's, Blacula!, Blackenstein, and the BlunchBlack of Blotre Blame!"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just remembered how good Static Shock was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really looking forward to the unveiling of Black Puni- Oh. Oh no. That one certainly won't test well.

Uh, I mean Black Blue Beetle and Black Green Lantern!

docbeard posted:

I just remembered how good Static Shock was.

I learned on these forums that the show was extremely neutered compared to the comic. Like, 70% of the people caught in that gas attack straight up just died, for one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think Punisher is going get the Netflix stuff back on track.

The actor is really good, his parts in DD were great and the tone they're setting from the trailers seems pretty spot on. My only concern is that it goes too Rambo or attempts to shoehorn in Stick, Elektra or the Hand and all that dumb poo poo.

Maybe they'll cram Danny in there and Frank can gently caress him up proper.

I'd like to see Cox or D'Onofrio show up somewhere, at least for a few moments. I think the series would be a good way to introduce Bullseye somewhere too if they plan on using him down the road. Make him a sniper in Frank's squad or something. It'd be an easy way to tie him into the other series without having to provide a ton of exposition.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

The actor is really good, his parts in DD were great and the tone they're setting from the trailers seems pretty spot on. My only concern is that it goes too Rambo or attempts to shoehorn in Stick, Elektra or the Hand and all that dumb poo poo.

Maybe they'll cram Danny in there and Frank can gently caress him up proper.

I'd like to see Cox or D'Onofrio show up somewhere, at least for a few moments. I think the series would be a good way to introduce Bullseye somewhere too if they plan on using him down the road. Make him a sniper in Frank's squad or something. It'd be an easy way to tie him into the other series without having to provide a ton of exposition.

Jon Bernthal was really good as The Punisher

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 30, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

etalian posted:

Jon Bernthal was really good as The Punisher

He was fantastic and that's what I mean. I think it's going to be good.

Most of these shows have been driven by the quality of the performances, even the only good parts of Iron Fist that people liked. In JJ, DD and LC all the leads really shined and the episodes largely lived and died based on who was on screen at any given time when I stop and think about it. People hated Finn as Danny but seemed to like Weaver even though her role was weak, for instance.

Consider: Fisk, Cottonmouth, JJ, Luke, Matt, Frank, Kilgrave, Foggy, Ben Urich, Karen Page...several supporting actors... I could go on and on. People harp on the action but almost everything people post that really sucks seems to revolve around the performers, to my eye.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I am excited for Punisher and honestly I didn't hate iron fist, I just have no desire to watch it again

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So Stephen Colbert asked celebrities to tweet their awkward childhood photos. Clark Gregg posted this gem:

https://twitter.com/clarkgregg/status/913790860441001984

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

He was fantastic and that's what I mean. I think it's going to be good.

Most of these shows have been driven by the quality of the performances, even the only good parts of Iron Fist that people liked. In JJ, DD and LC all the leads really shined and the episodes largely lived and died based on who was on screen at any given time when I stop and think about it. People hated Finn as Danny but seemed to like Weaver even though her role was weak, for instance.

Consider: Fisk, Cottonmouth, JJ, Luke, Matt, Frank, Kilgrave, Foggy, Ben Urich, Karen Page...several supporting actors... I could go on and on. People harp on the action but almost everything people post that really sucks seems to revolve around the performers, to my eye.

Well it's sort of tough to have a good series if the lead can't carry the weight or sell the role.

Bringing Jon Bernthal back was a pretty smart given how well he did in S2 of Daredevil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Stick died, dude.

AbstractNapper posted:

She wasn't "exciting" but there was something interesting about her. Being vaguely mysterious about her abilities and how/why she managed to be the head of Hand. Also the actress being SW probably had much to do with the interesting result (I'm guessing based on what we saw, she didn't have much to work with, though, for her character).

Offing her in that way did the show no favors other than a short lived "oh surprise!", because then you knew the show was full on heading back towards DD2 terrible part with Electra and the Hand.

I dunno, I thought she was really boring. I feel like people just like Sigourney Weaver and wanted the character to be interesting. I agree that killing her off sure didn't give her a chance to become interesting, but she had a lot of screen time before that scene and she was still boring, so whatever.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 1, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

Stick died, dude.

I dunno, I thought she was really boring. I feel like people just like Sigourney Weaver and wanted the character to be interesting. I agree that killing her off sure didn't give her a chance to become interesting, but she had a lot of screen time before that scene and she was still boring, so whatever.

The frustrating thing about Alexandra is that she already knew everything that was going on so there was no tension with her character. She literally just walks around saying vague stuff and acts creepy with Elektra. She had no arc, she had no development, she was just wallpaper and I don't think they even learned anything from her.

I don't remember anything about her character except she had zero intonation, just really flat boring delivery that the directors probably though was ~mysterious.~

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As a Turkish person I was annoyed she called Istanbul "Constantinople". :argh:

Funny scene, though.

Anyway the biggest issue with her character is that she didn't have superpowers. The writers tried to make her seem like some sort of master manipulator and genius leader, but it came across as really non-threatening and hollow. Definitely a waste of talent, and probably contributed significantly to the overall disappointment amongst the fanbase since they used her liberally to promote the film. "Omg it will have Sigourney Weaver in it!!!!!111one"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HIJK posted:

The frustrating thing about Alexandra is that she already knew everything that was going on so there was no tension with her character. She literally just walks around saying vague stuff and acts creepy with Elektra. She had no arc, she had no development, she was just wallpaper and I don't think they even learned anything from her.

I don't remember anything about her character except she had zero intonation, just really flat boring delivery that the directors probably though was ~mysterious.~

Exactly! She basically sleepwalked through the show and then died.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Why'd they change it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

etalian posted:

Well it's sort of tough to have a good series if the lead can't carry the weight or sell the role.

Bringing Jon Bernthal back was a pretty smart given how well he did in S2 of Daredevil.

Right, except I wasn't just talking about the leads in these series. They all seem to sink or swim depending on the cast, supporting or otherwise.

Lurdiak posted:

Stick died, dude

hahaha.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Byzantium forever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samizdata posted:

Why'd they change it?

When in Rome 2.0...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Why'd they change it?

It's complicated. The city was originally named Byzantium by the Greek settlers who founded it. When Roman emperor Constantine I transferred the capital of the Roman Empire from Rome to Byzantium, the city was renamed to Konstantinoupolis (Constantinople). When the Ottomans conquered it in 1453, they actually kept referring to it as Konstantiniyye, but also used Istanbul, which is derived from Greek eis tin polin, which means "into the city" (Ottoman Empire had a huge Greek population and many of them lived in Istanbul). The older name was finally dropped in the 1920s when modern Turkey was founded and Turkey officially favored city names based on the new, Latin-based Turkish alphabet.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

They were implying she was so old that when she was first there, it was not yet Istanbul.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My issue with Alexandra is that I never really understood what led her to the myopic goal of risking her, and the rest of the Hand's leadership's lives to create the Black Sky.

I think the foolish confidence, overbearing attitude, and desperate nature of her ploy were handled pretty well, though.

I want to make sure I didn't misinterpret something: was the goal of most of the other Hand's leadership to return and reintegrate into Kun Lun or was it to take it over?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

homullus posted:

They were implying she was so old that when she was first there, it was not yet Istanbul.

Yeah I know, I was joking.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Stick died, dude.

Dude, you expect them to watch that show instead of repeat something someone else said about it? A trusted review source?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

enraged_camel posted:

It's complicated. The city was originally named Byzantium by the Greek settlers who founded it. When Roman emperor Constantine I transferred the capital of the Roman Empire from Rome to Byzantium, the city was renamed to Konstantinoupolis (Constantinople). When the Ottomans conquered it in 1453, they actually kept referring to it as Konstantiniyye, but also used Istanbul, which is derived from Greek eis tin polin, which means "into the city" (Ottoman Empire had a huge Greek population and many of them lived in Istanbul). The older name was finally dropped in the 1920s when modern Turkey was founded and Turkey officially favored city names based on the new, Latin-based Turkish alphabet.

Actually I think people just liked it better that way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

My Greek boss has a different take on that...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Why'd they change it?

I can't say. People just liked it better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Why'd they change it?

When you rule a country, you can do things like change the names of cities. Don't be surprised when everyone takes years and years to get on board with the new name, though. Lots of people like the first one they heard or saw, cover versions or sequels are never as good once an idea has worked it's way into your brain.

You can attempt to do so with landmarks if you're a corporation. "Attempt" being the key word there. For instance, it may be spelled "Willis Tower," but it's pronounced "Sears Tower."