Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You can't measure monarchs in metric because it's an inherently republican system of measurement.

Similarly nothing anti imperialist can be measured in the imperial system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Queen is the longest, that's why they say "long live the Queen"

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

QR Code Geass posted:

I'm going to freestyle here and say the state of Virginia, uh wait

The state of Virginia was named after England's Queen Elizabeth I. In the early 1600's, all of North America that was not Spanish or French was then called "Virginia" in honor of "The Virgin Queen," and the earliest English colonial expeditions were sent by the Virginia Company of London. Virginia became the 10th state on June 25, 1788.

This later resulted in the Scramble for Africa, or as it is sometimes called, Virgin Vs. Chad

ScreenDoorThrillr has a new favorite as of 04:23 on May 14, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can't measure monarchs in metric because it's an inherently republican system of measurement.

Similarly nothing anti imperialist can be measured in the imperial system.

Are you saying Republicans use metric?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some funny viking nicknames:
Øystein "The Little Maiden" Øysteinsson
Ragnvald oval office
Semen-Bjalfi
Kolbein Butterpenis
Herjolf Shrunken Testicles
Torolf the Sexslave
Skage Dung Advisor
rear end-Bård

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Alhazred posted:

Øystein "The Little Maiden" Øysteinsson
Ragnvald oval office
Semen-Bjalfi
Kolbein Butterpenis
Herjolf Shrunken Testicles
Torolf the Sexslave
Skage Dung Advisor
rear end-Bård

Dudes rock

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Butterpenis is an amazing insult, I think.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Marcade posted:

Butterpenis is an amazing compliment, I think.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

you need to wash your dick

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

People couldn't agree if she was 4 foot 10, 4 11¼, or 5 feet +, and were apperently still debating it to this day, and I got furious about imprecise god daAMN IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS ITS SO BLOODY STUPID AND ITS SOMEONES FAULT!!

Fun stuff. You'd think ruling over the era when mass produced measuring tapes became common would help with that.

Vs say George Washington, who was anywhere from six feet to 6'3" depending on what you go off of.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Fun stuff. You'd think ruling over the era when mass produced measuring tapes became common would help with that.

Vs say George Washington, who was anywhere from six feet to 6'3" depending on what you go off of.

It's a good thing a president wouldn't lie about that kind of thing today.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Alhazred posted:

Ivar the Boneless
Thorir the Whining Turd
Herjólfr Shriveled Testicle Eystein Foul-Fart

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

venus de lmao posted:

Ivar the Boneless

And his dad, Ragnar Hairy-pants

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Washington was a land surveyor. He could have measured his height if he’d wanted to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was 12 storys high and made of radiation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
The supposed wooden teeth were mostly human teeth forcibly pulled from his slaves.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gaius Marius posted:

He was 12 storys high and made of radiation.

Opponents beware

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
The supposed wooden teeth were mostly human teeth forcibly pulled from his slaves.

The worst part is that that's not something that made Washington particularly cruel—supposedly he was less cruel than many others, although you do not have to hand it to him because owning human beings is a moral evil regardless of how nice you are to the human beings you own and exploit for their labor—it's basically just how dentures were made in the 18th century: teeth would be taken from cadavers or purchased from poor people (or taken by force from enslaved people), and false teeth would sometimes also be made from ivory. Washington is recorded as having paid enslaved persons for several teeth, and had four full sets of dentures made over the course of his life.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

Washington was a land surveyor. He could have measured his height if he’d wanted to.

Surveying at the time was done in chains, ten to a fathom, 80 to a mile. Not really helpful for feet and inches.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

People are complaining about feet and inches, you want to bring rods and chains into it?

e:fb

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Surveying at the time was done in chains, ten to a fathom, 80 to a mile. Not really helpful for feet and inches.

Their rods and chains were in ~8" links, 100 links per 66 feet

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ok so he was about 2 chainz tall

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqOtlrPCN4

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I think you'll find that George Washington was twelve stories high, made of radiation.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

My grandparents' house was built on a lot surveyed by Washington. It had a plaque on the side, and part of the house predates the Revolutionary War.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

My sources indicated that he was 6'8" and weighed a loving ton;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6OOuPI5c0

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Any of you remember that old flash animation about George Washington being tall?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Any of you remember that old flash animation about George Washington being tall?

Got you fam
https://youtu.be/K7y2xPucnAo?si=rrQo6E55S-GmsNgs

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Soul Dentist posted:

No how tall did they say he was?

Edit: And also did they say how much he weighed?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How many penises on that washington

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Has anyone mentioned that George Washington was made of radiation?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I think many of us may have heard of the disastrous command of the Baltic Fleet under Admiral Zinovy Rozhestvensky, and how he led said Fleet all the way from Northern Europe to Korea, only for them all to be sunk at Tsushima in a matter of moments. One of the many, many misadventures involved them thinking a bunch of British fishing boats in the North Sea were somehow Japanese torpedo boats and fired upon them. However, this is NOT the worst naval response to a fleet of fishing vessels. The crown for that has to go to 16th century Korean Admiral Won Kyun, during the Imjin war

At the time, Japan was seeking to invade Korea (and China) and had amassed a pretty big invasion fleet. Note, not a fleet for naval battle, but for landing. One of the places they struck was Busan and the neighbouring fortress of Dongnae (or Tongnae) where they managed to win handily, and inflict horrible massacres upon the defenders and civilians there. This was witnessed by an Admiral Pak Hong who, seeing this defeat decided... To scuttle his entire fleet and flee on foot from the disaster. A substantial fraction of the Korean fleet had just been destroyed not in battle, but by one of Korea's own commanders.

Won Kyun, upon hearing about the loss of Busan and the neighbouring fortress, and subsequent destruction of Hong's fleet, took HIS fleet from its base and sailed so as to escape an anticipated Japanese attack. Maybe a bit cowardly, but better than Hong, at least.

...until he encountered a bunch of fishing vessels and mistook them for a Japanese fleet. Now, when confronted with this, Kyun then executed an order which makes him surpass Zinovy's maladministration. He, too, ordered his fleet he scuttled. Some of his subordinates managed to convince him to stop the order before it had been executed in it's entirety, but by then, an several hundred-strong fleet had been reduced to single digits.

And all because they mistook some fishermen minding their own business as an invading force.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Now, that's obediency. A fleet full of sailors and captains, and everbody scuttles their ships after seeing some fishermen because the Admiral says so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Those fishermen got awards from the japanese for MVP

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My grandparents' house was built on a lot surveyed by Washington. It had a plaque on the side, and part of the house predates the Revolutionary War.

Was this in the FT Hunt area of Virginia by chance?
I grew up in a house on a similar lot.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

That's better than what we have around here. "George Washington took a crap stayed here while retreating from the Gen. Cornwallis. 1776"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Have you guyes seen the new Shogun? It apparently is pretty faithful to the period, which watching it seemed nuts, considering how many people commit seppuku, or how forcing your enemy to lose face is a tactic in war.

It also does not paint that kind of feudalism in a good light, the samurai are not good people but rather slaves too, which I appreciated. The noble lords too are slaves to their rules. The peasants are so irrelevant they only appear to be murdered at whim.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mercury Ballistic posted:

It was in Washington, VA.

As for Shogun, it is extremely good, but apparently a lot of the seppuku/killing stuff is exaggerated. The TV IV thread has a lot of good historical discussion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, I am sure many of us have heard about how Orson Welles made a radio adaptation of War of the Worlds which caused mass panic in the U.S., except not really, it was more of a storm in a teacup. Well, how many of us have heard of the '49 Quito Incident?

You see, back in those days, the capital of Ecuador was city of around quarter-million people. Leading up to the days to February the 12th, some people claimed that the local media outlets were reporting unknown objects spotted in the sky around the area, but I'm unsure how much of that is post-facto. What is known is this:

The director of Radio Quito, Leonardo Páez was wanting to release a smash-hit radio drama, had heard of Orson Welles' rendition back in the late 30's and was inspired. After arranging the Spanish language adaptation and actors and all that jazz, the day of broadcast came about.

In he middle of a scheduled musical interlude by Luis Alberto 'Potolo' Valencia and Gonzalo Benítez, an interruption; a vessel, seemingly alien in origin, had landed not twenty miles outside of Quito. Crowds of onlookers had been reported to have gone to the site in question, but contact had been lost, and at the time of this broadcast, a nearby military base had also gone dark. As the reporter continued, his voice became choked and then gasping, saw the aliens with his own eyes, a wave of poison gas advancing before them - then the feed cut off.

Pandemonium reigned. Some secular powers begged for calm, others recommended woman and children flee the cities. Churches opened their doors for sanctuary. Some claimed this was a sneak attack by Peru. All in all, the populace of Quito were most unhappy.

News of what was happening reached Radio Quito. The staff, realizing this had gone catastrophically wrong, broadcast an immediate admission and an appeal for calm. But this, in turn, did not go as they would have wanted, either.

The people stopped being scared, and started being angry. The radio station (which was owned by and resided in the same location as a major newspaper publisher) was surrounded by the duped mob, and burning papers set up outside the building, which then itself started to burn. Allegedly, services that tried to stop the fire were also attacked by the mob.

People in the building tried to evacuate, but the mob outside made it more difficult than usual. At least 6 people died because of the fire. The mob had to be dispersed by the army deploying tear gas. Later rumours stated that Páez had locked the doors himself because he was deliberately wanting to cause such chaos, which is almost certainly false, but didn't stop such heresay running rampant.

To conclude, after over a quarter of a million dollars of damage and multiple deaths, Páez was brought up in front of a court. Thankfully, rationality reigned in the justice system of Ecuador, if not it's streets - Páez had documentation between him and the radio station, showing that he had planned this in full cooperation with the people in charge, and that this was not some kind of malicious plot by either him or them to cause anarchy. He was released, but as one can understand, entered a self-imposed exile to Venezuela where he ended up dying in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It was in Washington, VA.

As for Shogun, it is extremely good, but apparently a lot of the seppuku/killing stuff is exaggerated. The TV IV thread has a lot of good historical discussion.
My own loose understanding is that seppuku was definitely real and a lot more frequent than you would expect from a 1:1 comparison to modern politics but was definitely not a "did the lord look unusually frowny while looking in the same compass direction I was sitting in? Welp,' kind of thing.