Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Felicks posted:

On kind of the same topic as spelunky I’m excited for the game that is made by him and downwell and other guys I don’t know

https://youtu.be/6h-BjQlvik0

That's a neat idea. I hope the games are consistently fun and not like the old school compilation games where a handful are maybe good and the rest are totally forgettable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shovel Knight and its expansions are among the best games ever made

What's so special about them? I own them but I haven't really delved too far into them yet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

What's so special about them? I own them but I haven't really delved too far into them yet.
They're extremely well made classic platformers with great graphics / level design / music.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

American McGay posted:

They're extremely well made classic platformers with great graphics / level design / music.

Okay cool I'm excited to get into it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Over There posted:

They're really, really tightly designed. Every room and enemy placement has a ton of thought put into how it interacts with the basic movement mechanics, and the fact that they remixed it three times around new characters and movement abilities is fantastic.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Plague Knight is super fun and they made him work in the original levels, and Specter Knight is also cool and they modified the levels and palettes for him. I haven’t finished either of their campaigns though....

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Felicks posted:

On kind of the same topic as spelunky I’m excited for the game that is made by him and downwell and other guys I don’t know

Action 50 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Felicks posted:

the Downwell guy's games got cut because he works at Nintendo now

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yacht Club revealed the Shovel Knight battle mode right after the Direct, it's the final expansion and it comes out next year http://yachtclubgames.com/2018/08/shovel-knight-showdown/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr81mmA_inA

Play as all the key heroes and villains from Shovel Knight, many for the first time ever! Master over 16 playable characters including Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, Black Knight, The Enchantress, and all of the Knights of the Order of No Quarter!

Compete in one-on-one duels, frantic 4 player free-for-alls, and cooperative team battles against AI opponents or your friends in modes like Gem Clash, Showdown, and more!

Battle through Story Mode, a multistage journey customized for each character! Your chosen hero will face a rival, defeat scores of opponents, relax with a minigame or two, and hopefully see their tale completed after an all-new final encounter!

Explore myriad stages inspired by famous characters and locales in Shovel Knight, as well as a plethora of all-new stages.

Prepare and perfect your moves in a full-featured practice mode.

Yacht Club Game’s beautifully authentic style bridges the gap between yesterday and today. Design, art, and audio hearken back to the days of 8-bit, but with a frenetic new coat of paint!

New songs compliment an award-winning soundtrack composed by Jake “Virt” Kaufman.

Balanced and intuitive gameplay is a warm welcome to newcomers, and an old embrace for experts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yacht Club revealed the Shovel Knight battle mode right after the Direct, it's the final expansion and it comes out next year http://yachtclubgames.com/2018/08/shovel-knight-showdown/

Play as all the key heroes and villains from Shovel Knight, many for the first time ever! Master over 16 playable characters including Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, Black Knight, The Enchantress, and all of the Knights of the Order of No Quarter!

Compete in one-on-one duels, frantic 4 player free-for-alls, and cooperative team battles against AI opponents or your friends in modes like Gem Clash, Showdown, and more!

Battle through Story Mode, a multistage journey customized for each character! Your chosen hero will face a rival, defeat scores of opponents, relax with a minigame or two, and hopefully see their tale completed after an all-new final encounter!

Explore myriad stages inspired by famous characters and locales in Shovel Knight, as well as a plethora of all-new stages.

Yacht Club Game’s beautifully authentic style bridges the gap between yesterday and today. Design, art, and audio hearken back to the days of 8-bit, but with a frenetic new coat of paint!

New songs compliment an award-winning soundtrack composed by Jake “Virt” Kaufman.

Balanced and intuitive gameplay is a warm welcome to newcomers, and an old embrace for experts.
Insane

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
How much DLC is in shovel knight now? I feel like the developmental tail end has been nuts.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

2 extra campaigns are in now with a 3rd one this year most likely plus that new mode next year.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Felicks posted:

this is really cool, I hope it will be good. it reminds me of the Game Center CX games released on the DS. you'd play all these fake NES games made in the style of old-school classics, and you would do various challenges. the first one was called Retro Game Challenge and the second one had a really good fansub. the main selection screen was a living room, and you could read magazines for pro tips. having a game emulate the feeling of getting a new game and later on finding basically a Konami code in a magazine was neat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't care about the multiplayer stuff but the story mode sounds cool. Makes me think of playing Jedi Outcast with custom characters and spawning bosses to fight in cool areas for some reason

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

who else is looking forward to summoning some dragons in the exciting new rpg app dragalia lost? Nintendo ftw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not, but it's cool if you are. Nintendo ftw.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Nostradingus posted:

who else is looking forward to summoning some dragons in the exciting new rpg app dragalia lost? Nintendo ftw

I'm not, but I am excited for the boatloads of money they'll make. Finally bought some Nintendo (NTDOY) stock since robinhood added em

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
"IGN can exclusively reveal that Shovel Knight: King of Cards, the third and final story-based expansion, will be released on April 9, 2019. Shovel Knight Showdown, previously revealed earlier this week by IGN, will also be released on April 9."

"Yacht Club has also announced a physical version of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove — the complete collection of Shovel Knight and all of its expansions, will see a physical, retail release on April 9, 2019 in both North America and Europe for the PS4 and Nintendo Switch."

"That same day, April 9, 2019, will also see the release of the previously announced amiibo three-pack featuring Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight, which Yacht Club first revealed at PAX West 2017."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yikes I was hoping it'd be a bit sooner than that, but I will patiently wait.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
for their sake I hope they've been working on something else alongside all these updates, they've been working on kickstarter campaigns for 4 years and they must be sick to death of it by now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just in time for my birthday

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

itll be worth the wait. from the gameplay theyve shown it looked like were making a whole classic wario game around king knight

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I can’t wait to play as propeller knight. Yacht Club are too good.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

They seriously went and made a story mode for each and every battle mode character? Assuming they'll be less fully-featured than the ones made for King Knight etc., but that's still loving insane

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
it'll probably just be an arcade ladder with dialogue, their description makes it sound like Smash's classic mode

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

kinda curious what they're gonna do after shovel knight, are they gonna branch out a little or jump straight into a sequel?

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the nintendo switch is so loving good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it'll probably just be an arcade ladder with dialogue, their description makes it sound like Smash's classic mode

It made me think of melee adventure mode, which is cool

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

the nintendo switch is so loving good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I bought picross s2 and lumines remastered on switch so ican play puzzle games at night in bed and ruin my sleep and eyesight thanja to bright lcd screen action

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?

mysterious loyall X posted:

I bought picross s2 and lumines remastered on switch so ican play puzzle games at night in bed and ruin my sleep and eyesight thanja to bright lcd screen action

same except into the breach

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I beat Yoku this weekend and needed another "casual couch gaming while watching tv" game so I've been slowly working my way through all the Picross S puzzles.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

I beat Yoku this weekend and needed another "casual couch gaming while watching tv" game so I've been slowly working my way through all the Picross S puzzles.

i don't like megapicross

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mysterious loyall X posted:

i don't like megapicross

yeah they suck I don't bother with those. I was actually getting stuck on some of the later 10x10 ones so I moved into the 15x15s and for some reason I find those more manageable.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i hate mega picross and i havent bought any of the eshop picross games that have it because i dont want to play mega picross and if i leave them alone my broken brain will nag at me that i havent finished the game cause i havent done all the puzzles

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
wtf I love mega picross

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mega Picross is hard to learn but it's really fun once you know how to do it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

^ this.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I just wann 3D Picross ...