Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
have a meeting in a few minutes with a very senior administrator at My University Employer who unbidden earlier in the week sent me an email that was like "hey, let's catch up about x, y, and covid!". this is a person i very much like and respect and i will be curious to see how they react when i show up well-masked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

actionjackson posted:

remember the dark red Australian sky from the fires and kobe dying

That was my birthday!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Petey posted:

have a meeting in a few minutes with a very senior administrator at My University Employer who unbidden earlier in the week sent me an email that was like "hey, let's catch up about x, y, and covid!". this is a person i very much like and respect and i will be curious to see how they react when i show up well-masked.

they are expecting you to show up in your mask because "that's why I brought you into my office today"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Inspector Hound posted:

It's blown my mind that my kid's grandmother won't get a vaccine so she can see her grandkid. Now her line is "if the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission, what's the point anyway?" She and her husband got covid earlier this year, they were sick for weeks.
For your kid's grandmother it could be more complicated than get vaccine to see grandkid. It could require her to consider that she could be wrong about something, consider the pandemic is a mortal threat to herself and others, accept she is wrong about something, accept the pandemic is a mortal threat to herself and others, accept her responsibility to not spread covid, process her fear of the vaccine, process her fear of mortality, work through whatever social pressures are allowing her to avoid doing any of those things, and then maybe a couple more steps, then get vaccine to see grandkid. I think a lot of people get tripped up on step 1 where they would have to consider they could be wrong about anything and get trapped in a maladaptive defense mechanism loop where their life revolves around never giving themselves the opportunity to risk considering they could be wrong about something making them incapable of understanding what they are giving up in order to protect the loop but idk

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Christ almighty.

Husband and I had our boosters around Thanksgiving. We're essentially unprotected by now, right? How much protection would a 4th shot give against the currently dominant variants? After hearing about the waning effectiveness, he's hesitant to keep getting boosted if there's little benefit, whereas I'm hoping to get as much protection as possible for both of us on top of being respirator crew. If I missed this data in the OP I apologize.

a quick summary: if you got a booster shot, it actually wanes slower than the initial vaccine. so 6 months after said booster is not as dire as 6 months from OG vaccine.

overall, I would say both don’t panic, but it’s also easy to get an extra shot. I got mine via cvs.com , if you mark you are immuno compromised they’ll give it to you no questions asked as long as it’s been 4+ months.

and given this is the US, it goes without saying it’s super available because everyone else stopped caring.

I think this is a good summary:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/03/with-a-second-booster-now-available-to-some-the-question-is-when-to-get-it/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

they are expecting you to show up in your mask because "that's why I brought you into my office today"

let's catch up on [how much] covid [is over!]

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

:perfect:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All-hands meeting in 15, I wonder if they're going to do any celebration now that COVID is over for the third time.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
catching up over coffee and covid

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

tangy yet delightful posted:

i doubt it — i think they will be surprised and it will open a chance for a good conversation. this person is really thoughtful and great.

and i do (knock on wood) have a lot of job security and am well known for being completely immune to like peer pressure so i think it'll be okay. more just interested in how it goes

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Mar 4, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Petey posted:

i doubt it — i think they will be surprised and it will open a chance for a good conversation. this person is really thoughtful and great.

and i do (knock on wood) have a lot of job security and am well known for being completely immune to like peer pressure so i think it'll be okay. more just interested in how it goes

while me being right would be more funny for thread content, I hope you are right sincerely

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Seems like there are more than a few Denver/Boulder area folks in this thread. I got my massive case of 9210+ today, and its way more than we need if any of you are short. Send me a dm if you want to work something out.

I ordered right from 3M, fulfilled by one of their distributors, so pretty sure they are legit. They did hilariously come just floating around in a huge cardboard box though. I expected a "case" to be 10 retail boxes. But eh, they are all individually wrapped.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
dumbest mother fucker award:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1516809625835913219?t=47DqZy8sb26EDG9030DVdQ&s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Huh so that is a thing that's happening over there too. The same thing happened to my apartment neighbor above us.

Protip: keep an eye on them, you'll be able to score some free furniture when the ex husband throw everything outside in a fit of rage

It sounds like a great way to set up a murder/suicide situation to me, but I don't live there

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it would be cool if Matty could just like get bought out by a rich person to never post again

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

if HR told me I couldn’t wear an N95 while most people walked around maskless I would tell them to get hosed and do it anyway

if someone at work tried to murder me to keep up appearances I'd do more than just defy them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I've been using theroni.com to check covid stats this whole time thank you for your service :patriot:

:toot::hf::coronatoot:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Ghoul posted:

If your failed dreams are over 24 months you can just say they're 2 years old. :colbert:

no because if i said two years old many people would be like "uh pretty sure we had covid in april 2020 dumbass!!!!"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mawarannahr posted:

what couples therapist is going to be sane about COVID? if you’re unlucky you might get one who tells your partner you’re insane

Mine is but I'm starting to believe I'm in the minority with that. That being said, it's not really about covid, it's about trust. If you can't trust your partner because they aren't trustworthy, that's the problem. Whether it's about covid, or sex, or money or drugs or whatever, the core problem is "I can't trust my partner because they lie to me." If your partner doesn't respect you enough to be honest that's the problem. If you have a boundary in a relationship and the other person doesn't respect it that's the problem, the boundary being crossed being health or safety just makes it worse but the core problem is trust and respect. If a couple's therapist doesn't recognize that then they're just entirely bad at their job.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

He's a fairly new discovery for me and I'm already daydreaming about pummeling him mid-tweet as if I were an ape.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It would be a big deal but the problem is the people in charge actively want us to get sick and die because willingness to do so is a test of loyalty to capital which serves a necessary social function under capitalism. Matty often understands situations and is just evil but in this case I think he genuinely doesn’t get it

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Apr 20, 2022

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

Seems like there are more than a few Denver/Boulder area folks in this thread. I got my massive case of 9210+ today, and its way more than we need if any of you are short. Send me a dm if you want to work something out.

I ordered right from 3M, fulfilled by one of their distributors, so pretty sure they are legit. They did hilariously come just floating around in a huge cardboard box though. I expected a "case" to be 10 retail boxes. But eh, they are all individually wrapped.

protected.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

Nothus posted:

Taking those tweets at face value, it seems like paxlovid suppresses the virus but if you don't have enough of an immune response to clear it, it bounces back as soon as you stop taking the drug.

well then, the solution then is to simply never stop taking paxlovid :wotwot:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why don't they just make enough paxlovid for everyone. I heard it makes putin mad every time someone survives covid

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Mine is but I'm starting to believe I'm in the minority with that. That being said, it's not really about covid, it's about trust. If you can't trust your partner because they aren't trustworthy, that's the problem. Whether it's about covid, or sex, or money or drugs or whatever, the core problem is "I can't trust my partner because they lie to me." If your partner doesn't respect you enough to be honest that's the problem. If you have a boundary in a relationship and the other person doesn't respect it that's the problem, the boundary being crossed being health or safety just makes it worse but the core problem is trust and respect. If a couple's therapist doesn't recognize that then they're just entirely bad at their job.

sure. how many couple therapists are good at their jobs? how many will continue to be good with COVID about and them not understanding it and being likelier to give bad advice based on that? is there a point in our societal development that recommending couples therapy is more likely to do harm to all individuals involved than not, for the average couples therapist?

cancel therapists imo j/k kinda

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the only couples therapist I’ve known slept with his students while married to his wife who was a child development professor in the same department

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Baddog posted:

I'm in Denver, luckily I'll never meet any goons here because Covid is forever and I think I want to keep living

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Duckman2008 posted:

a quick summary: if you got a booster shot, it actually wanes slower than the initial vaccine. so 6 months after said booster is not as dire as 6 months from OG vaccine.

overall, I would say both don’t panic, but it’s also easy to get an extra shot. I got mine via cvs.com , if you mark you are immuno compromised they’ll give it to you no questions asked as long as it’s been 4+ months.

and given this is the US, it goes without saying it’s super available because everyone else stopped caring.

I think this is a good summary:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/03/with-a-second-booster-now-available-to-some-the-question-is-when-to-get-it/

:tipshat: very much appreciated, thank you!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

the only couples therapist I’ve known slept with his students while married to his wife who was a child development professor in the same department

sounds like they were both interested in child development

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Mar 4, 2023

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

thank u Bernie, better teacher than Lenin & Rosa L.

(jk u need both praxis and theory)

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Why Am I So Tired posted:

One thing that kills me is the "everyone is tired, it's understandable that they're breaking" line of defense. No, THEY NEVER TRIED IN THE FIRST PLACE. It was "have to live our lives" in summer 2020 and David Leonhardt the second Biden got in and The Science suddenly changed and said it was ok to murder / disable everyone around you because You Were Good (you weren't, and you aren't).

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

:perfect:

:vince:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1516854957714157576?s=21&t=ngTy3TbbxsrAxIF1Skd_bg

I get it.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

what couples therapist is going to be sane about COVID? if you’re unlucky you might get one who tells your partner you’re insane

someone from the Death Panel pod discord recently shared this:

https://ko-fi.com/post/Therapist-Referrals-in-the-Time-of-Covid-M4M1C7SSJ

quote:

Recently I put out a call for therapist recommendations from around the globe who are "taking covid precautions and understand that disabled folks are on the receiving end of eugenics-based thinking and behavior." Obviously that may translate differently for different people, but it's a potential way to narrow things down. Some take types of insurance, some don't, and some offer pay what you can or sliding scales. I cannot vouch for these services personally and it's important to do your own research. This is a starting point though, as high risk and other folks have been needing this support and need it increasingly by the day. We need access to care that will keep us as safe as possible physically and emotionally. I will continue gathering more referrals and add info to this working document.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
The instructions for the SecureClick say to use "3M Respirator Wipes 504" or by "immersing in warm cleaning solution."

Haven't noticed anyone talking about stocking up on special wipes, so I'm guessing y'all just use something like bleach and water?

My apologies if this is already in the OP, I didn't see anything regarding the cleaning of SecureClicks or non-disposable respirators.

olives black has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Apr 20, 2022

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

sonatinas posted:

at the height of omicron there so many people mask off on plane and airports doesn’t matter ,here is what I did to not get the roni

GRR-LAX
-eat lot of protein
-put on aura
-had to pull it down for ID
-at ATL I found an area nobody was at and pushed a straw through the side and drank a protein smoothie
-obviously mask on whole flight
-at car rental , lowered windows and drove to hotel.
-opened window at hotel
-30 min later aura finally came off

loving sucked and probably worse now

The only thing I'd add to this---the OP has guidelines for securing a hotel room in terms of air leakage & positive pressure and all that, but IMO safest would be to get a Corsi Cube in there (maybe second suitcase?? or mail it to your hotel or nearby post office ahead of time like a hiker drop box??) and let it run until it's changed the air in the room over.

I am going to have to fly some time soon for my new permanent work from home job that requires me to go to Miami maybe 4 times per year. I am considering just driving since it's just a straight shot down I95 from where I am outside Philly. What distresses me is 1)no one knows yet that I'm respirator crew so that will be completely alienating and 2)they will expect me to eat with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

olives black posted:

The instructions for the SecureClick say to use "3M Respirator Wipes 504" or by "immersing in warm cleaning solution."

Haven't noticed anyone talking about stocking up on special wipes, so I'm guessing y'all just use something like bleach and water?

My apologies if this is already in the OP, I didn't see anything regarding SecureClick or non-disposable respirator cleaning.

I think bleach is harmful to plastic. rubbing alcohol might be better.